toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #675 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:04 pm

Post by toolenduso »

Thoughts upon catching up from page 23:

-I'll admit I'm not parsing through each and every thing in the Thor-Zoronos back and forth. Like I'm not clicking on links and thinking deeply about who's right about the various things people have said. I kind of feel like that's beside the point because I think the fact that they're arguing and the way they're arguing is more important than that. One gut feeling I have is that Thor is kind of pushing Zoronos to get him to look worse. As opposed to, like, feeling out whether he's scum. It reminds me a bit of the first game I played on the site after a long hiatus (Mini 1505) where Thor was scum and got in this big fight with Slandaar, who was town. But I don't really want to rely on meta here because I believe Thor is kind of known for having tricky meta. So what I want to do instead is go back and look at some of this back and forth, really look at it in isolation to look more for Thor's and Zoronos's motivations.
-BBT is really reminding of the town game I played with him. And the way he's interacting with Thor again looks like town to me. Like he's just responding very naturally to Thor's questions, I see a person who trusts themselves and distrusts others. And the questions appear to come from a place of lacking knowledge, in the sense that they take a step-by-step logical progression based on no information other than the answers to the questions.
-Not a fan of Shinobi's #582/584 where he says he's reading the BBT and Thor back and forth but he dismisses it as TvT. #587 is where he explains it, saying the points are reasonable but pedantic. Which just kind of seems like a surface-level thing and therefore sits at an odd angle to his unsolicited interjection that he is, indeed, reading it all.
-My immediate reaction to Math's #589 is that it makes me feel more comfortable with his slot because it kind of clears up question marks I had about town explanations for his voting and posting. But I can fall for stuff that I later find fault with so I'll let it sit for a bit.
-I think CB's reasoning for voting abuse in #601 is pretty unconvincing. I actually find those two posts to be pretty consistent. The other two posts he mentioned are also things I do not think necessarily point to scum.
-At this point Shinobi's posting also seems very sideline-y.
-Did not realize Lapsa was ESL. That explains a lot actually. I think I need to reevaluate that slot with this in mind.
-I don't agree with the way BBT is characterizing Thor's "lack of engagement" with other players. He is engaging with people. But I share a view that's...adjacent, I guess would be the word. I think Thor is
focusing
on a few people to the extent of looking like he feels very confident in those players being scum. I guess whether it appears that that confidence is justified or looks like it's a pre-determined conclusion is how I will look at Thor's slot when I get around to devoting some time to it.
-I guess plotinus's acceptance and self-analysis of using a collection of standard-ish MS tells/phrases makes me feel more like he's town. Because I feel like that would be something to be self-conscious of as scum and I feel like he might try to deny something like that.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
Zoronos
Zoronos
Mafia Scum
Zoronos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #676 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:46 pm

Post by Zoronos »

In post 669, Bellaphant wrote:109 is terribad.

Why is that post terribad?

In post 669, Bellaphant wrote:Zor, have you read any of her games? (There's a recent one with me, BBT and Plot that might be good)

No, and I'm not going to. Meta is a good way to get confirmation bias and foul up my reads. I thought I had a handle on Plot's expected play level, and BBT told me my handle was wrong. I haven't changed my read on Plot's towniness vs scumminess, but I am more actively considering that I have been looking at Plot's posts from the wrong viewpoint.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #677 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:47 pm

Post by Thor665 »

In post 675, toolenduso wrote:I think Thor is focusing on a few people to the extent of looking like he feels very confident in those players being scum.

I will openly agree with this assessment.
Though it feels kind of like saying the sky is blue.
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #678 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:48 pm

Post by Plotinus »

Whee I just got nominated for a scummy. And I can finally provide a citation for “something it takes me 60 pages to get my head into a game (but after that I town up nicely) so stop burden of profficiencying me.” This would have also been a citation for being hard to mislynch because I managed to survive scum faking a guilty on me (someone else was modkilled, the scum was crosskilled, the wagon never reformed, i survived another 5 Days) but I was just mislynched in 3p lylo so nevermind that part. http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=60945 (I stopped sucking around page 277).

anyway, it’s late so i will sleep and then tomorrow I will start sucking less in this game!
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #679 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:49 pm

Post by Thor665 »

In post 675, toolenduso wrote:I guess plotinus's acceptance and self-analysis of using a collection of standard-ish MS tells/phrases makes me feel more like he's town. Because I feel like that would be something to be self-conscious of as scum and I feel like he might try to deny something like that.

This doesn't make sense to me - expand?
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #680 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:57 pm

Post by Thor665 »

In post 664, Thor665 wrote:
In post 662, Zoronos wrote:The notion that the communication failures and misuse of jargon is atypicial does.

Which jargon did he misuse?

@Zoronos
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #681 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:35 pm

Post by toolenduso »

Gonna take some time and put together a one-stop-shop-type case for Frogger because I feel like people aren't really paying attention to it :/

In post 679, Thor665 wrote:
In post 675, toolenduso wrote:I guess plotinus's acceptance and self-analysis of using a collection of standard-ish MS tells/phrases makes me feel more like he's town. Because I feel like that would be something to be self-conscious of as scum and I feel like he might try to deny something like that.

This doesn't make sense to me - expand?

If I were scum and somebody told me I was playing using a bunch of standardized phrases and tells, I would probably deny it and get at least a little defensive because it's a way of accusing you of having reads that aren't genuine. Like even if they don't call you scum for it, the behavior is one that is scummy because it means you're using reasoning that isn't your own to develop reads, which is something scum -- who don't have genuine reads -- might do to make it look like they're really scumhunting.

Like, this is something I actually do as scum, and it's not entirely a conscious thing but now that I think about it...yeah, I do have a tendency to fall back on the easy, crowd-pleasing phrases and tells that say "hey look, this person is acting scummy."

So for Plot to react the opposite way and say "oh yeah I guess I am doing that" seems like he's not concerned about the way that makes him look. The implication being that he has no reason to cover up the methods/motivations behind his reads.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
Zoronos
Zoronos
Mafia Scum
Zoronos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #682 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:22 pm

Post by Zoronos »

In post 664, Thor665 wrote:Which jargon did he misuse?

That's not distancing. Distancing would be both CB and I being scum, and CB soft pushes or soft scum reads me to make it seem like we're not on the same team. Him town reading me isn't distancing.
/ That's not proper use of 'Narrative' - CB isn't pushing a scum read or a specific story-of-the-game. From my perspective, he is flagging that I am building an associative chain off of him being scummy. Which is a thing I did, kinda.
This one is arguable. Might be correct, but I wouldn't use 'narrative' here. Reductionist would be a better word to describe what was going on.

In These ones are buried deep near the end, but this isn't how an associative tell works. He also misunderstands what Frogger means by Counterwagon.
Misunderstands how 'interactions' work, and 'associative tells' is used I am pretty sure incorrectly. It actually seems to be used meaninglessly in this situation, since what exactly the tell is is never defined.
Fails to understand what Frogger meant by 'counterwagon'. I think Plot is actually using it correctly here, but failed to parse the context correctly so jumped to a really weird conclusion. So I'm leaving it in the list because. 'Associatives' gets thrown again here without really meaning anything.

I got lazy past this point, so there may be more.
Zoronos
Zoronos
Mafia Scum
Zoronos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #683 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:24 pm

Post by Zoronos »

Well I certainly screwed up the formatting in that. Trying again, same post, fixed the links:
Spoiler: fixed formatting
That's not discrediting. The second part is hedging the read. The first part is just analysis, CB is saying that if he dies and flips town my reads will all look bad which if I am mafia is not a thing I would likely do. (Basically it would thwart my ability to set up future mislynches by undermining me on the first)
That's not distancing. Distancing would be both CB and I being scum, and CB soft pushes or soft scum reads me to make it seem like we're not on the same team. Him town reading me isn't distancing.
/ That's not proper use of 'Narrative' - CB isn't pushing a scum read or a specific story-of-the-game. From my perspective, he is flagging that I am building an associative chain off of him being scummy. Which is a thing I did, kinda.
This one is arguable. Might be correct, but I wouldn't use 'narrative' here. Reductionist would be a better word to describe what was going on.

In Plot straight up says he is misusing phrases.

These ones are buried deep near the end, but this isn't how an associative tell works. He also misunderstands what Frogger means by Counterwagon.
Misunderstands how 'interactions' work, and 'associative tells' is used I am pretty sure incorrectly. It actually seems to be used meaninglessly in this situation, since what exactly the tell is is never defined.
Fails to understand what Frogger meant by 'counterwagon'. I think Plot is actually using it correctly here, but failed to parse the context correctly so jumped to a really weird conclusion. So I'm leaving it in the list because. 'Associatives' gets thrown again here without really meaning anything.

I got lazy past this point, so there may be more.
Zoronos
Zoronos
Mafia Scum
Zoronos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #684 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:47 pm

Post by Zoronos »

In post 681, toolenduso wrote:If I were scum and somebody told me I was playing using a bunch of standardized phrases and tells, I would probably deny it and get at least a little defensive because it's a way of accusing you of having reads that aren't genuine. Like even if they don't call you scum for it, the behavior is one that is scummy because it means you're using reasoning that isn't your own to develop reads, which is something scum -- who don't have genuine reads -- might do to make it look like they're really scumhunting.

@Tool
I think your premise is wrong. It's just a style of play. Especially one leaned on by newer players. It's not inherently scummy or non-genuine. I've seen plenty of townies use it. It doesn't mean your reads are not genuine, it just means that in analyzing them we have to make sure we're leaning more on 'what's the motivation behind this' than on the logical processing of the specific tell.
That's why it's important to understand if a player is playing in that fashion, since otherwise you can easily make wrong conclusions.
Fro99er
Fro99er
Survivor
Fro99er
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #685 (ISO) » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:51 am

Post by Fro99er »

In post 671, BlueBloodedToffee wrote:@Bella, what's wrong is that it's a scummy wagon on a townie player ()

This...there's definitely at least one scum in Thor, Lapsa, and Abuse. But without any flips it's hard to figure out who. I hated the way all three hopped off the Math wagon and onto the Zor wagon. I should probably analyze that closer. This game has just been uuuuuggghhhh to read with all the walls and 1v1s
Fro99er
Fro99er
Survivor
Fro99er
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #686 (ISO) » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:57 am

Post by Fro99er »

In post 669, Bellaphant wrote:@Frog, why that vote on Thor?

His vote on Zor was super opportunistic. Basically CB said Zor isn't being paranoid enough, and Thor was like "oooh that pings", then voted Zor. He tried digging up reasons later.

I've also had this paranoia about Thor defending me multiple times. My posts 556, 557 explain more as well (Thor defending me for much of the game, and he's been defending Plot who I'm not sure of, but if Plot is town it's an unnerving pattern for Thor).
texcat
texcat
Mafia Scum
texcat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #687 (ISO) » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:05 am

Post by texcat »

Bella, a belated Welcome!

I apologize for my struggle in this game. My eyes continue to glaze over every time I start reading it.

Tool, I am looking forward to your case on Frogger who I have been mostly town reading.
Fro99er
Fro99er
Survivor
Fro99er
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #688 (ISO) » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:06 am

Post by Fro99er »

In post 687, texcat wrote:My eyes continue to glaze over every time I start reading it.
Shinobi
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #689 (ISO) » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:11 am

Post by Shinobi »

In post 686, Fro99er wrote:
In post 669, Bellaphant wrote:@Frog, why that vote on Thor?

His vote on Zor was super opportunistic. Basically CB said Zor isn't being paranoid enough, and Thor was like "oooh that pings", then voted Zor. He tried digging up reasons later.

I've also had this paranoia about Thor defending me multiple times. My posts 556, 557 explain more as well (Thor defending me for much of the game, and he's been defending Plot who I'm not sure of, but if Plot is town it's an unnerving pattern for Thor).

Why do you think it's suspicious that people are defending you, exactly? I read your 556/557 and I remain somewhat unconvinced.

In post 687, texcat wrote:Bella, a belated Welcome!

I apologize for my struggle in this game. My eyes continue to glaze over every time I start reading it.

Tool, I am looking forward to your case on Frogger who I have been mostly town reading.

:/
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #690 (ISO) » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:18 am

Post by Plotinus »

@Zoronos: by associatives i meant something like “if i saw two people interacting like this and one of the flipped scum, then i would be suspicious of the other”. I was overreacting to fro99er but basically if I saw someone coaching someone in thread, the way frogger was coaching me, and they were limiting the coaching to just one person not spreading it around, and then person doing the coaching flipped scum, i would be instantly suspicious of the person they were coaching. If either of them flipped town then i wouldn’t worry so much. That’s an associative tell. In retrospect, I was being wrong.

Frogger, I owe you an appology. I now think that most of what happened was I taking real life stuff out on you. I was having a really bad day, one of those days when everything is getting under your skin and the air is touching you too much and your clothes are touching you too much and you’d shed your skin if you could… and you had no way of knowing that, it wasn’t your fault, but suddenly you were right there snuggled close to me touching me and I know that you were just trying to figure out my alignment which is the entire point of this bloody game, I know you didn’t actually have your hand up my skirt but it was just one of those days and it was too much, too close, and then I had a meltdown in thread instead of stepping away from the keyboard and having it offline in private which would have been better. I’m sorry. It wasn’t your fault. I wasn’t communicating well and I was jumping at shadows and I had another meltdown later when my cat did basically the same thing to me.

If this game had started a week after it did, this wouldn’t have come up. It was just really bad timing for me and i’m sorry.

Shinobi
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #691 (ISO) » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:25 am

Post by Shinobi »

Plotinus.
Stop apologizing for no reason and vote someone.
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #692 (ISO) » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:36 am

Post by Plotinus »

I’m torn between Thor and CB at the moment. Zor’s mostly convinced me to lay of CB though and Thor seems to keep getting into semantics arguments that are really hard to follow. Um, also Bella’s readslist looks awfully familiar and sheepy, like I think someone else’s reads are in the exact same order (though I can’t remember off the top of my head if it’s bbt or cb. will look it up.)

I think of the three Thor is what i’m most worried about because of the way he kept trying to draw other people into his arguments, for example drawing zor in to the mathdino discussion, not in a sanity check sense or a come on sheep me on this please sense, but in a come on let’s bog the thread down further with semantics arguments sense.

VOTE: Thor

Shinobi
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #693 (ISO) » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:13 am

Post by Shinobi »

Why do I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't want to lynch Thor?
Shinobi
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #694 (ISO) » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:14 am

Post by Shinobi »

In post 692, Plotinus wrote:I’m torn between Thor and CB at the moment. Zor’s mostly convinced me to lay of CB though and Thor seems to keep getting into semantics arguments that are really hard to follow. Um, also Bella’s readslist looks awfully familiar and sheepy, like I think someone else’s reads are in the exact same order (though I can’t remember off the top of my head if it’s bbt or cb. will look it up.)

I think of the three Thor is what i’m most worried about because of the way he kept trying to draw other people into his arguments, for example drawing zor in to the mathdino discussion,
not in a sanity check sense or a come on sheep me on this please sense, but in a come on let’s bog the thread down further with semantics arguments sense.

VOTE: Thor

Can you explain the bolded to me?
Shinobi
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #695 (ISO) » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:15 am

Post by Shinobi »

Actually just explain the whole paragraph because that seems really convoluted.
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #696 (ISO) » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:18 am

Post by Plotinus »

bella’s readslist as stated in :

Prolly town: Frog, Thor, Abuse, CB, BBT

Scum-leaning: Plot, Zor, Math, Lapsa

My reads on tex/tool are really null. Tex is townier than tool right now.

my best guess as to what BBT’s reads list looks like as of his last post()
town: frogger, cb, zoro
lean town: mathdino, texcat
nullscum: shinobi
lean scum: bella, plotinus, tool
scum: abuse, thor, lapsa

so this is not a sheep of bbt, i was wrong about that. lemme look up cb too:

guesstimate of cb’s readstown: frogger, texcat, thor
lean town: shinobi, zoronos
nullscum: bella, lapsa
lean scum: plotinus, tool
scum: abuse, bbt, math

bah, i was wrong about this too. I still think there’s something incongruent about her reads list though. i’ll shut up until i figure out what it is, though. retracted for now.

pedit: @Shinobi talk to me about thor, then? I’m having a lot of trouble reading his posts even when i slow myself down, and I’m having trouble finding town motivation for a lot of what he’s saying but it could be a playstyle clash.

pedit: yeah i’ll try that in anew post.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #697 (ISO) » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:37 am

Post by Plotinus »

So one thing I’ve been noticing lately is sometimes two people get into an argument in a thread :oops: and when i’m on the sidelines and not in the argument myself it’s hard to tell what it means, whether it’s just TvT noise or something more important, but if you look at what the other people on the sidelines are doing there’s some alignment indicative stuff in there. Who is sitting back, content to let other people clog up the thread, who is trying to draw other people into the argument, who is trying to pull people apart.

I think town players who realise they’re in an argument with another townie or who are starting to suspect that they might be are more likely to be looking for ways to de-escalate, to give the other person a chance to back down without losing face. Asking for a sanity check is asking people whose opinion you trust to tell you to knock it off if you’re being dumb. Asking to be sheeped is kinda the opposite of de-escalating but if you want to put more pressure on someone to help sort them, and that can be protown especially if there are escape routes if you realise it’s TvT after all.

But I think what Thor was doing is different because a lot of his arguments felt nitpicky and semantics and when he dragged zoronos into it, it ended up being more semantics and lots of talking at cross purposes, and it ended up being two different pointless semantics arguments at the same time with two different people, and the scum motivation for it is inducing town apathy, making the thread harder to read, getting in the way of other people scumhunting because everything’s bogged down in these tiny details and it’s hard to have a conversation around something like that.

I’ve been staring at his ISO for a few days, off and on, and so many of his posts it’s hard to see what the point is: not to make himself more easily understood, not to figure out other people’s alignments (his reads aren’t evolving very much as time passes). It’s just noise. It’s antitown.

I will continue staring at his ISO and trying to make sense of it. But that’s where I’m at with Thor at the moment.

Shinobi
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #698 (ISO) » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:47 am

Post by Shinobi »

UNVOTE:
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #699 (ISO) » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:48 am

Post by Bellaphant »

Hi Plot: I find it weird that over the space of two posts you've said...nothing, actually, about my reads list? Apart from vaguely throw some shade on it. Is there anything you disagree with/want to talk about from my catch up? Also, you keep saying the same thing about Thor and it makes me go o.0

@bbt, why is Zor townie? I'm not feeling it.

@Zor: why is announcing that you are too lazy to read not terrible? It doesn't show you want to progress the game. Also, what you said about Plot in this post is just untrue, as post 52 by Tex asks exactly this.

Also, just realised I forgot Shinobi in my reads list.@ Shinobi, talk to me about where your head is at right now? Top town and top scum?

Frog's defense points have made me stop and think again about Thor. I might re-read in ISO.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”