Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #275 (ISO) » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:06 am

Post by Plotinus »

oh, heh. :]

I'm not sure how much of that still holds, but there are more recent games on my wiki. I'm still pretty talkative in my PTs about what i'm doing and why.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #276 (ISO) » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:06 am

Post by KuroiXHF »

In post 268, PhantomCobalt wrote:VOTE: Kuroi gut L-2

I have a feeling you're voting me just because I voted you. It doesn't make sense that you'd vote me for any other reason because you kept talking about how you have town reads on me.
KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #277 (ISO) » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:13 am

Post by KuroiXHF »

In post 272, Plotinus wrote:I was a little nervous of mentioning it because I don't want anyone to get it into their heads that they should replace out RIGHT NOW and then they'll be considered conftown. That kind of replace out is called a strategic replace out and it's morally wrong (+ it would be really obvious it came right after I said this). Anyway, now that I have said it, any future replace outs should be considered null not a towntell.

I guess where i'm at is:
Rask
seems pretty town because scumhunting vigorously and town paranoia and depth of thought, I liked
Franksa's
self defence,
you're
town enough for research and scumhunting, i'm
townreading
phantom too. I need to see more from
ConvergentConclusion
to have an opinion there (I think I was underwhelmed by their posts but statistics and I think I remember that they were scumhunting at least),
Jake
hasn't done anything that bothered me really,
maxspir
seems to be in the process of flaking but I feel like he's really struggling to scumhunt and that bothers me, and
kuroi
has these posts that feel really genuine and friendly but you're right that there's just not much there when you really look.

I'll re-ISO convergent because none of their posts are sticking out to me in my memory.

How much
are
you expecting to be there on a Day One?
PhantomCobalt
PhantomCobalt
Mafia Scum
PhantomCobalt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #278 (ISO) » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:24 am

Post by PhantomCobalt »

In post 276, KuroiXHF wrote:

I have a feeling you're voting me just because I voted you. It doesn't make sense that you'd vote me for any other reason because you kept talking about how you have town reads on me.

aight
KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #279 (ISO) » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:26 am

Post by KuroiXHF »

In post 278, PhantomCobalt wrote:

aight

This is one of the many reasons he has my vote. He doesn't respond to points. Townies shouldn't be this scummy, if he is town.
PhantomCobalt
PhantomCobalt
Mafia Scum
PhantomCobalt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #280 (ISO) » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:27 am

Post by PhantomCobalt »

In post 279, KuroiXHF wrote:
In post 278, PhantomCobalt wrote:

aight

This is one of the many reasons he has my vote. He doesn't respond to points. Townies shouldn't be this scummy, if he is town.

that isn't alignment indicative??
KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #281 (ISO) » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:35 am

Post by KuroiXHF »

Scummiess is indeed indicative of one being scum. Calling someone scummy doesn't mean they're scum, but it does mean that they share a lot of scum qualities.

Not responding to points is scummy. Scummy is what scum are.
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #282 (ISO) » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:46 am

Post by Plotinus »

In post 277, KuroiXHF wrote:
In post 272, Plotinus wrote:I was a little nervous of mentioning it because I don't want anyone to get it into their heads that they should replace out RIGHT NOW and then they'll be considered conftown. That kind of replace out is called a strategic replace out and it's morally wrong (+ it would be really obvious it came right after I said this). Anyway, now that I have said it, any future replace outs should be considered null not a towntell.

I guess where i'm at is:
Rask
seems pretty town because scumhunting vigorously and town paranoia and depth of thought, I liked
Franksa's
self defence,
you're
town enough for research and scumhunting, i'm
townreading
phantom too. I need to see more from
ConvergentConclusion
to have an opinion there (I think I was underwhelmed by their posts but statistics and I think I remember that they were scumhunting at least),
Jake
hasn't done anything that bothered me really,
maxspir
seems to be in the process of flaking but I feel like he's really struggling to scumhunt and that bothers me, and
kuroi
has these posts that feel really genuine and friendly but you're right that there's just not much there when you really look.

I'll re-ISO convergent because none of their posts are sticking out to me in my memory.

How much
are
you expecting to be there on a Day One?
I don't expect you to be scumhunting adeptly but I do expect you to be scumhunting. There are thousands of words in this thread already. Surely at least some of them mean something and indicate various motives people might have. Look at a post. Any post at all. Try to figure out what motivation a person has for saying it. If you're not sure, ask.

KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #283 (ISO) » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:50 am

Post by KuroiXHF »

And I'm all for doing more than just waiting for cop to do our jobs for us. I'm sure I could be doing a better job, just like everyone else can seeing as perfection is always sought after, but never reached. Still, with that being said, I don't think I'm on the list of people who aren't doing their job.
Zaicon
Zaicon
Mafia Scum
Zaicon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #284 (ISO) » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:01 am

Post by Zaicon »

VOTE COUNT 1.6

Maxspir_7 (0) -
ConvergentConclusion (0) -
tictac (0) -
KuroiXHF (3) - tictac, Plotinus, PhantomCobalt
Raskolnikov (0) -
franksa (2) - Maxspir_7, Raskolnikov
Jake from State Farm (0) -
PhantomCobalt (1) - KuroiXHF
Plotinus (2) - franksa, ConvergentConclusion

Not Voting: Jake from State Farm

With 9 alive, it's 5 to lynch.

Day 1 deadline is Sunday, January 3rd 2016 at 8:45 pm PST or in (expired on 2016-01-03 20:45:00)

Replacing Maxspir_7.
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #285 (ISO) » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:08 am

Post by Plotinus »

In post 283, KuroiXHF wrote:I don't think I'm on the list of people who aren't doing their job.
who, aside from Phantom, is on this list?

(your position on Phantom is pretty clear I think)

franksa
franksa
Townie
franksa
Townie
Townie

Post Post #286 (ISO) » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:10 am

Post by franksa »

Flying home at the moment, will make a post tomorrow.
KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #287 (ISO) » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:20 am

Post by KuroiXHF »

In post 284, Zaicon wrote:
VOTE COUNT 1.6

Maxspir_7 (0) -
ConvergentConclusion (0) -
tictac (0) -
KuroiXHF (3) - tictac, Plotinus, PhantomCobalt
Raskolnikov (0) -
franksa (2) - Maxspir_7, Raskolnikov
Jake from State Farm (0) -
PhantomCobalt (1) - KuroiXHF
Plotinus (2) - franksa, ConvergentConclusion

Not Voting: Jake from State Farm

With 9 alive, it's 5 to lynch.

Day 1 deadline is Sunday, January 3rd 2016 at 8:45 pm PST or in (expired on 2016-01-03 20:45:00)

Replacing Maxspir_7.

You know, I wasn't aware that I'm the lead bandwagon right now. Hah.

In post 285, Plotinus wrote:
In post 283, KuroiXHF wrote:I don't think I'm on the list of people who aren't doing their job.
who, aside from Phantom, is on this list?

(your position on Phantom is pretty clear I think)

It's a little difficult to answer with people leaving, but I've been weighing the switch to Franksa based on his admission of screwing up with the easiest (and perhaps pointless) of reaction tests. Rask and Jake come across strongly town, you're kind of in the middle, and most others aren't making contributions.
Raskolnikov
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #288 (ISO) » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:25 am

Post by Raskolnikov »

Well, that's a pretty lame reason to lean town on someone, but it would be stupid to ignore too.

I thought I'd mention I'm okay with or perhaps indifferent with the Kuroi wagon. I know I'm reading too many people town but the others I feel are for logical reasons (I've stated them before but can again if asked) whereas this was mostly gut, which I don't know is worth much. I don't understand, he showed depth of thought and similar pov as I did early, but I think staying on PC even now is way too stubborn. Even if I still thought PC was scum which I don't, another goal is productivity and action, and sticking on a stalled wagon like that which almost certainly won't go anywhere at least for day 1 just seems futile. Not just in the sense of lynching, but also of getting reaction or a conversation going: I think the discussion around PC's case has been exhausted for now. Assuming he isn't your only scumread (which would be ridiculous), I think the optimal play would be to engage and possibly explore your next best scumread, even if its lower it'll have a chance of going somewhere and at the very least develop the game further. And I think a town would be more desperate to do stuff even if its risky and less willing to sit on a rather safe sort of dead wagon.

The obvious counterpoint to this is that hopping bandwagons too often or frivolously is also slight a mafia trait since they want a lynch. I'm not sure how to reconcile this with the former point. Is it the two extremes which are bad and the middle which is normal/good, or do these things sort of cancel out and mean that one of these extremes isn't that much of a tell.

Damn. I started writing this after post 271 and then did something else before finishing, and I see through preview a significant amount of what I'm saying has since been said which kind of sucks. Whatever.
Oh yeah, after seeing the vc post: since max was inactive clearly before the logic was mentioned, I suppose he gets the same slight benefit upon replacing that tictac would?
deranged and incoherent
?
KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #289 (ISO) » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:36 am

Post by KuroiXHF »

In post 288, Raskolnikov wrote:Well, that's a pretty lame reason to lean town on someone, but it would be stupid to ignore too.

I thought I'd mention I'm okay with or perhaps indifferent with the Kuroi wagon. I know I'm reading too many people town but the others I feel are for logical reasons (I've stated them before but can again if asked) whereas this was mostly gut, which I don't know is worth much. I don't understand, he showed depth of thought and similar pov as I did early, but I think staying on PC even now is way too stubborn. Even if I still thought PC was scum which I don't, another goal is productivity and action, and sticking on a stalled wagon like that which almost certainly won't go anywhere at least for day 1 just seems futile. Not just in the sense of lynching, but also of getting reaction or a conversation going: I think the discussion around PC's case has been exhausted for now. Assuming he isn't your only scumread (which would be ridiculous), I think the optimal play would be to engage and possibly explore your next best scumread, even if its lower it'll have a chance of going somewhere and at the very least develop the game further. And I think a town would be more desperate to do stuff even if its risky and less willing to sit on a rather safe sort of dead wagon.

The obvious counterpoint to this is that hopping bandwagons too often or frivolously is also slight a mafia trait since they want a lynch. I'm not sure how to reconcile this with the former point. Is it the two extremes which are bad and the middle which is normal/good, or do these things sort of cancel out and mean that one of these extremes isn't that much of a tell.

Damn. I started writing this after post 271 and then did something else before finishing, and I see through preview a significant amount of what I'm saying has since been said which kind of sucks. Whatever.
Oh yeah, after seeing the vc post: since max was inactive clearly before the logic was mentioned, I suppose he gets the same slight benefit upon replacing that tictac would?

You've made your point and as much as I think PC is our best bet, it's clearly not gaining momentum and I doubt that I can convince anyone. Also, given the fact that there is more than one scum in this game, I'm left with few options.

UNVOTE:
VOTE: Franksa
Raskolnikov
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #290 (ISO) » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:38 am

Post by Raskolnikov »

In post 287, KuroiXHF wrote:Rask and Jake come across strongly town, you're kind of in the middle, and most others aren't making contributions.

Wtf.
Okay, first of all you say Jake comes across as strongly town, which I really struggle to see given how he hasn't even been here. A weak read would be okay, but idk how do you get a strong read from someone who hasn't said much.

But the icing on the cake is that you say others aren't making contributions! How do you read Jake as town and then imply you don't read others because they aren't making contributions! Other people probably qualify for that way less than Jake would. Can you explain because I'm seeing a massive contradiction here.
deranged and incoherent
?
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #291 (ISO) » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:45 am

Post by Plotinus »

In post 288, Raskolnikov wrote:Oh yeah, after seeing the vc post: since max was inactive clearly before the logic was mentioned, I suppose he gets the same slight benefit upon replacing that tictac would?
yeah. I think it would be pretty unlikely for him to almost respond to a prod in the last hour and then change his mind just because i made some minor point about statistics and then decide to fade away; if he was having fun playing mafia he would have been around more.

Being scum with daytalk is really really fun. You have a friend that you can talk to in private as much as you want and you know they're on your side and you can ask them for help if you're embarrassed to ask something in public and if you're struggling with what to do then they can give you pointers.

Being scum in your first game without daytalk is really hard because you have no idea what you're doing and your buddy has to be careful not to give you too much advice in public and you're probably messing up quite a lot but your buddy can't say "ffs don't use dice tags to decide whether to hammer someone who hasn't claimed or not" (true story) so you're probably getting bussed.

So it makes plenty of sense to me that newbie scum with daytalk are less likely to get discouraged and disappear.

but under the old model of "no idea how to scumhunt and then fades away into oblivion == scum," maxspir does look scummy, so I'd like to see how his replacement does.

Raskolnikov
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #292 (ISO) » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:46 am

Post by Raskolnikov »

In post 283, KuroiXHF wrote:And I'm all for doing more than just waiting for cop to do our jobs for us. I'm sure I could be doing a better job, just like everyone else can seeing as perfection is always sought after, but never reached. Still, with that being said, I don't think I'm on the list of people who aren't doing their job.

Minor nitpick but as far as I know cop isn't confirmed to be in our game. Read about the Matrix6 setup.

Ok checked and there are 6 variations and cop is only in 2 of them, so that's a 1/3 chance assuming each variation is equally likely. That's not much.
deranged and incoherent
?
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #293 (ISO) » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:52 am

Post by Plotinus »

If scum have a roleblocker, the chance of a cop increases to 50%. This could be a slip.

There's an investigative PR of some kind in all of the setups: jailkeeper, cop, tracker, and some of the setups have protective PRs as well (doctor, 1-shot bulletproof). But the less we talk about PRs, the better. PRs talk differently about PRs than VTs do and it is fairly easy to narrow things down.

KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #294 (ISO) » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:53 am

Post by KuroiXHF »

In post 290, Raskolnikov wrote:
In post 287, KuroiXHF wrote:Rask and Jake come across strongly town, you're kind of in the middle, and most others aren't making contributions.

Wtf.
Okay, first of all you say Jake comes across as strongly town, which I really struggle to see given how he hasn't even been here. A weak read would be okay, but idk how do you get a strong read from someone who hasn't said much.

But the icing on the cake is that you say others aren't making contributions! How do you read Jake as town and then imply you don't read others because they aren't making contributions! Other people probably qualify for that way less than Jake would. Can you explain because I'm seeing a massive contradiction here.

Clarification: I had a strong town read early on in the game. He hasn't spoken much in the last couple of days, true - but as of right now, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt due to Christmas. If you want to be nit picky and if it makes you feel better, I'll call him slightly town.
KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #295 (ISO) » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:56 am

Post by KuroiXHF »

In post 1, Jackal711 wrote:
Newbie Setup

Matrix6 (as designed by Cogito Ergo Sum):

ABC
1Town JailkeeperVanilla TownieMafia Goon
2Mafia RoleblockerTown CopTown Doctor
3Town 1-shot
Bulletproof
Mafia GoonTown Tracker

Each Newbie Game will be given a setup that incorporates either one row or one column. The remaining six roles will be filled in by mafia goons and vanilla townies appropriately, to create a 2-mafia and 7-town setup. For example Row 1 (1 jailkeeper, 1 vanilla townie, 1 mafia goon) would add an additional 5 vanilla townies and 1 mafia goon, for a total setup of 1 jailkeeper, 6 vanilla townies, and 2 mafia goons.

*Roleblocker will take precedence over jailkeeper when resolving night actions should that apply.

I may have misread. I thought this table listed the roles in the game. It's never been in any game I've ever played, but this is also a "newbie" page and so I thought it was a tool to help new players - akin to training wheels on a bike if you will.

So yeah, mistake on my part.
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #296 (ISO) » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:19 am

Post by Plotinus »

The potential setups are:

jailkeeper
, 2
goons
, 6
vanilla townies

cop
doctor
roleblocker
goon
, 5
vanilla townies

1-shot bulletproof
tracker
, 2
goons
, 5
vanilla townies

jailkeeper
1-shot bulletproof
roleblocker
goon
, 5
vanilla townies

cop
, 2
goons
, 6
vanilla townies

doc
tracker
, 2
goons
, 5
vanilla townies

Right now, the scum team can narrow it down to either 4 or 2 setups and the PR(s) can narrow it down to 2 setups but on day 1 we don't care which setup we're in.

tictac
tictac
Mafia Scum
tictac
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #297 (ISO) » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:20 am

Post by tictac »

ugh.
If Kuroi actually believed there are 3 scum...

UNVOTE:
I'm getting paranoid about this.
tictac
tictac
Mafia Scum
tictac
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #298 (ISO) » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:26 am

Post by tictac »

rask pretty much outed himself by setting that up if it's fake thou.
Raskolnikov
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #299 (ISO) » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:51 am

Post by Raskolnikov »

Setting what up?
deranged and incoherent
?

Return to “Completed Newbie Games”