Ultimate Videogame Topic 3: The Next Generation

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
LucianRoy
LucianRoy
Mafia Scum
LucianRoy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2300 (ISO) » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:54 am

Post by LucianRoy »

In post 2299, Iecerint wrote:2 is really polarizing, I think it's the best.

3 is the fan favorite, I think it's pandering after 2 was polarizing but it's still pretty fun to play.

4 is bad.

5 was apparently good.

I'm sold. Should I get Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, or just the normal MGS2 for the Ps2? I know that Substance is the expanded version/ re-release of the Sons of Liberty, but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra dime.
"If you look for a ghost, you'll find one."
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #2301 (ISO) » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:32 am

Post by Ythan »

If you liked VR Missions it's probably worth it.
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #2302 (ISO) » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:23 am

Post by hiplop »

4 isn't bad!?
third best scummer of all time
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #2303 (ISO) » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:57 pm

Post by Ythan »

What part of 4 did you have the most fun playing?
Om of the Nom
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2304 (ISO) » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:10 pm

Post by Om of the Nom »

i am working my way through KH Re:CoM finally and honestly I have had such a hate-boner for the CoM games but they really aren't that bad
“Leftover lady, let alone the strongest to be subdued.
If I only had the magic key that would unlock the realms to the plateau of the highest me.
Even though I’ve been badly bruised, living in a house to become a popular muse.”

hey beautiful ! how was your day ?
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2305 (ISO) » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:47 pm

Post by Iecerint »

In post 2304, Om of the Nom wrote:i am working my way through KH Re:CoM finally and honestly I have had such a hate-boner for the CoM games but they really aren't that bad

Oh my god Re:CoM was terrible and I tried and tried and I could not do it.
Om of the Nom
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2306 (ISO) » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:12 pm

Post by Om of the Nom »

I have gained so much more appreciation for 1 tho since the remake fixed all the issues I had with the controls by adding in the reaction commands for things like the trinities. Also the extra heartless were super fun. I'm at the point now where I just gotta get 6 more levels and beat Sephiroth and I'm basically 100% done with the game.

I am theorising that the key difference between 1 and 2 is 1 is action based and 2 is theatrical.

Also BBS is still really great imo but I overplayed the original so I'm totally putting off the final mix version (which is a shame bc i wanna fight all the extra secret bosses already :/)

Re:CoM is such a good way to pass the time tho especially since I only ever played the GBA version (and finished it on both stories) and have no experience with the PS2 one.
If I only had the magic key that would unlock the realms to the plateau of the highest me.
Even though I’ve been badly bruised, living in a house to become a popular muse.”

Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2307 (ISO) » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:20 pm

Post by Iecerint »

I think 1 is more like an RPG, and 2 is more like an action game.

BBS is the best I think.
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2308 (ISO) » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:22 pm

Post by Iecerint »

In post 2300, LucianRoy wrote:

3 is the fan favorite, I think it's pandering after 2 was polarizing but it's still pretty fun to play.

4 is bad.

5 was apparently good.

I'm sold. Should I get Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, or just the normal MGS2 for the Ps2? I know that Substance is the expanded version/ re-release of the Sons of Liberty, but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra dime.

If you have a PS3, I'd get the PS3 HD re-release, which I think includes MGS2, MGS3, and MGS:Peace Walker, which is a consolified version of a solid handheld entry.
Om of the Nom
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2309 (ISO) » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:40 pm

Post by Om of the Nom »

In post 2307, Iecerint wrote:I think 1 is more like an RPG, and 2 is more like an action game.

BBS is the best I think.

idk they are both obviously very actiony but 1 has constant action and simple battles (which for the most part are rather easily beaten just by mashing and healing :P) but 2 has not as constant action but tons of flashy moves from both the player and the opponents and tons of fights disguised as missions with varying objectives (like the 1000 heartless fight).

I very much think that 2 was designed heavily for looks.
also 2's halloween town and agrabah are shitty in comparison to 1 just saying

BBS has easy cheese attacks tbh thats probably its biggest downfall (Magnega/Thundaga combo for general enemies, Surges/Mines for bosses, dodge roll/cartwheel to dodge literally everything)

Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2310 (ISO) » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:48 pm

Post by Iecerint »

Yeah, I think we just have different words for describing the same contrast for 1 v 2.

Spending a long time making really efficient decks for BBS is fun for me, so that stuff doesn't bother me much. It's still tough if you rush through at a low level without getting all the abilities and such. I only played on critical, though.
LucianRoy
LucianRoy
Mafia Scum
LucianRoy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2311 (ISO) » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:26 pm

Post by LucianRoy »

In post 2308, Iecerint wrote:
In post 2300, LucianRoy wrote:

4 is bad.

5 was apparently good.

If you have a PS3, I'd get the PS3 HD re-release, which I think includes MGS2, MGS3, and MGS:Peace Walker, which is a consolified version of a solid handheld entry.

Aww man, I heard stellar things about the HD collection, unfortunately, I don't have a PS3. I'm sure it'll still be a great game even if the graphics aren't in HD when I play it.
"If you look for a ghost, you'll find one."
Om of the Nom
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2312 (ISO) » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:29 pm

Post by Om of the Nom »

BBS on Critical mode is the only way to play tbh. Critical mode in general is the only way to play.

Srsly tho Re:CoM is so much easier than GBA CoM like oh dear I played GBA on standard iirc (it was like 4-5 years ago by now) and I struggled through both stories but I'm doing Re: on Proud mode and sailing through like it's nothing and I'm not even exerting much effort to level up in the process.

hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #2313 (ISO) » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:36 pm

Post by hiplop »

other Kingdom hearts fans? 1 is absolutely one of my favourite games ever. The game seems like it was made in my dreams, Final Fantasy anime Disney :P. Birth By Sleep is the best, yeah.

I love all of them except 358/2 days which was meh

MGS4 was lots of fun, I thought? Too many cutscenes but the actual game play was great!
third best scummer of all time
Om of the Nom
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2314 (ISO) » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:27 pm

Post by Om of the Nom »

I found Days really fun on the first playthrough but it severely lacked the replay value to try for 100%.
Coded was the same.
(tbh i still havent finished 3D but at this point I will probs just wait for 2.8 to come out and beat it there (I wanna fight julius so bad))

I guess I am kinda surprised to hear other ppl agree that BBS is the best and I am not sure why. I always assumed everyone loved either 1 or 2. BBS lacks world depth but somehow that's not as much of an issue when you're actually playing. I guess I just really really love the attacking mechanics and melding and all that fun stuff. It also was the first english released game with stickers and that was super fun because I love collectibles :) Mirage Arena was cool too.

Also, Xaldin fight is one of the best fights in the series, agree/disagree? I'm mostly speaking about the data refight version (since its harder and more fun). Ice Titan was also super fun (and with enough tech boosts you can get at least 16k exp from the average fight which is a full level up in the 85-90s range).

Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #2315 (ISO) » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:44 am

Post by Who »

BBS had the best gameplay, days had the best story. Also, considering that it was on the DS, days had great gameplay.

I've never played Re:Coded, only watched the cutscenes. I've never played 3D, and never finished CoM. I tried to get through Re:CoM but it was so boring.
Who said that?
Chamber. It's all a conspiracy.
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #2316 (ISO) » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:47 am

Post by Who »

Om, I didn't think the Xaldin fight was anything special. I didn't do the data refight though. Best fight in the series would probably be either Sephiroth in 2 or Iron Imprisoner 4 in BBS. I haven't played all the BBS bosses though, I still have yet to beat vanitas remnant and fight the other guy.
Who said that?
Chamber. It's all a conspiracy.
Or is it?
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2317 (ISO) » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:10 am

Post by Iecerint »

2 lacks world depth, too, other than Hollow Bastion.
Om of the Nom
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2318 (ISO) » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:53 pm

Post by Om of the Nom »

In post 2317, Iecerint wrote:2 lacks world depth, too, other than Hollow Bastion.

I was thinking about this too, but honestly it never occured to me that the worlds are severely lacking until my 3rd final mix playthrough :P
In post 2316, Who wrote:Om, I didn't think the Xaldin fight was anything special. I didn't do the data refight though. Best fight in the series would probably be either Sephiroth in 2 or Iron Imprisoner 4 in BBS. I haven't played all the BBS bosses though, I still have yet to beat vanitas remnant and fight the other guy.
The data refight is way way way better. Original fight is super easy and takes like no time at all but the data refight adds some meat to him (but hes still pretty easy and farmable for defense ups huehue). Idk I always really appreciated the way the battle flows. The whole get him to attack you, dodge/block and then Learn and use it to attack him. It's a simple concept but I think they executed it really well. And the whole setting and music for the fight is spectacular. here is a vid if you havent seen a good one for it

Sephiroth in 2 is decidedly ~decent~. Idk I appreciate the setting and the intensity but I feel like its kinda just "get hit repeatedly heal and then try and hit him", rinsed and repeated. Maybe I'm just not great at the fight or something. Also, side note but there is a Xaldin fight vid done by someone who really really sucks at the fight yet has still beaten Sephiroth on Critical mode and that amazes me.

Iron Imprisoner is cool yeah, I had to look up a vid since I've only beaten it once I think. It was a very creative twist on a boss that already had 3 other separate forms. The whole using parts of the arena to fight was ingenious.

BBS non final mix secret bosses are really really cheesable but I did enjoy the Mysterious Figure fight anyway. The whole fight can be done with dodge rolls and surges like its nothing but it's still really great.

Oh and a funny story, I was fighting Larxene's absent silhouette on Critical mode at like level 20something and I killed her in like 30 seconds because I accidentally did a reflect that took off like 3 lifebars somehow

Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2319 (ISO) » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:34 pm

Post by Iecerint »

I personally thought some of the bosses in 2 were kinda hard. I tied on Demyx a few times (first time through on proud or w/e the hardest mode was), and Xaldin was a looong fight even though I'm not sure I ever died.

Also I could never figure out why some later bosses seem invincible at 0 health for a long time. Maybe you need to do a certain kind of combo to finish them off. :X

I feel like I probably ignored a lot of the combat system.
Om of the Nom
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2320 (ISO) » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:50 pm

Post by Om of the Nom »

Yeah, you couldnt finish a fight in 2 unless you ended on a combo finisher, magic attack (thank you thundaga) or a square button attack (not sure about the last one but iirc its correct).

Demyx is only difficult because of the water parts, and in the data refight its impossible without a good strategy (which is to go into a magic enhancing form and spam fire and ethers).

Idk, I never found any of the 2 bosses hard until Sephiroth and the Data refights. The entire cavern of rememberance section is difficult, but thats fm only stuff.
If we're talking regular game compulory fights I'd say the hardest fight is Xigbar. Xaldin is sooooo easy with basic strategy, and if you learn as much as possible you can whittle him down quickly. 3 Learns at around level 70 does an entire life bar and a bit more on the Critical Data fight. Use reaction boosts for maximum damage.

Worst fights in FM are Data Luxord (his games are so fkn fast and you actually have to do them to win the battle) and Lingering Spirit (have yet to beat this ever). I personally struggled with second Data Xemnas also.

Oh yeah and the Marluxia fight is super great.

Om of the Nom
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2321 (ISO) » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:57 pm

Post by Om of the Nom »

oh and can WE TALK ABOUT MUSHROOM VIII AND HOW FRUSTRATING IT IS

Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2322 (ISO) » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:28 pm

Post by Iecerint »

Marluxia is so hard. ^_^
Om of the Nom
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2323 (ISO) » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:50 pm

Post by Om of the Nom »

if you have glide its no big deal

Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2324 (ISO) » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:55 pm

Post by Iecerint »

I only tried a few times.

Return to “The Arcade”