Newbie 1673: University of Mafiascum Class 108 - D4- OVER!

newbieinmafia
newbieinmafia
Goon
newbieinmafia
Goon
Goon

Post Post #275 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:58 pm

Post by newbieinmafia »

In post 273, TheDominator37 wrote:
In post 266, newbieinmafia wrote:
In post 265, TheDominator37 wrote:Why not?

There are a few I wouldn't mind lynching but I haven't narrowed it down.

What I'm asking is why not me?

I wouldn't mind lynching you. I just said not yet because I assumed you haven't caught up and haven't said anything except a few words about EE.
Kahlan
Kahlan
Goon
Kahlan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #276 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:11 pm

Post by Kahlan »

Looks like The Dom wants to be lynched.. @TheDom Guilty of being scum or just tried of playing the game? I'll keep my vote on him for now.
Zar
Zar
Mafia Scum
Zar
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #277 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:55 pm

Post by Zar »

Day 1, Votecount 10
N e s s (3): soulmonarch, Workdawg, Extrapolated Eagle

Extrapolated Eagle (2): Drixx, TheDominator37
Drixx (2): Usted, N e s s
TheDominator37 (1): Kahlan

Not Voting (1)
: newbieinmafia

With 9 alive it takes 5 to lynch or to no lynch.

Deadline
: Tuesday January 12, 2016 2:30 PM  New York Time. (GMT-5)
Countdown to deadline
: (expired on 2016-01-12 14:30:00)

Drixx is V/LA until Wednesday
Show
"There are no men like me. There's only me."

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The Mafia, coming soon your way.

Modded games: Mini 1382 - Micro 67 - NY 160B.
soulmonarch
soulmonarch
Goon
soulmonarch
Goon
Goon

Post Post #278 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:40 pm

Post by soulmonarch »

In post 276, Kahlan wrote:

Looks like The Dom wants to be lynched.. @TheDom Guilty of being scum or just tried of playing the game? I'll keep my vote on him for now.

*sigh*
That's the rub: He apparently plays pretty much all his games like this -- at least all the ones I looked at -- so it isn't much of a tell either way.

The odds say he only has about a 20% chance of drawing a scum roll. So even though he's more likely to be town, we are forced to confront the fact that he may be so useless that *not* lynching him will actually lose us the game due to his bad play. (Scum certainly won't nightkill someone like that.) Of course, there is the proportionally smaller chance that he really
is
scum -- which would only make allowing him to live even more galling.

Hence, killing him is a "policy lynch", because in many ways we had no other option. In the worst case, scum stays at full strength and we start D2 nothing to discuss but the choice of nightkill -- but at least it rids us of a useless player who is essentially sabotaging the game for us. At the absolute best, he flips scum and we feel some measure of satisfaction -- not a terribly likely circumstance and the only information we gain from it is the knowledge that the other scum never had much of a partner in the first place. (To be honest, I think that actually makes them much harder to spot.)

I consider what he's doing as tantamount to MafiaScum trolling, but to my knowledge there is no rule against it.
[i]"I pledge to punch all switches, to never shoot where I could use grenades, to admit the existence of no level except Total Carnage, to never use Caps Lock as my 'run' key, and to never, ever, leave a single Bob alive."[/i]
Workdawg
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #279 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:20 am

Post by Workdawg »

Wow, this is really frustrating and it's from an SE which makes it even worse I think. I'm not sure I 100% agree that this is definitely within his meta. Simply looking at his posts, I see that he often does one line replies, but there are also quite a few posts where he does actually discuss things. Granted those posts are like 3-4 lines long each, but it's better than 3-4 words. However, at this point I'm definitely on board with lynching him at the end of the day if we don't find scum.

@TheDom
- It seems fairly likely that you're going to be lynched today, do you even care?

@Ness
- Where is all this content you keep promising us?
Kahlan
Kahlan
Goon
Kahlan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #280 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:05 am

Post by Kahlan »

In post 278, soulmonarch wrote:
In post 276, Kahlan wrote:

*sigh*
That's the rub: He apparently plays pretty much all his games like this -- at least all the ones I looked at -- so it isn't much of a tell either way.

The odds say he only has about a 20% chance of drawing a scum roll. So even though he's more likely to be town, we are forced to confront the fact that he may be so useless that *not* lynching him will actually lose us the game due to his bad play. (Scum certainly won't nightkill someone like that.) Of course, there is the proportionally smaller chance that he really
is
scum -- which would only make allowing him to live even more galling.

Hence, killing him is a "policy lynch", because in many ways we had no other option. In the worst case, scum stays at full strength and we start D2 nothing to discuss but the choice of nightkill -- but at least it rids us of a useless player who is essentially sabotaging the game for us. At the absolute best, he flips scum and we feel some measure of satisfaction -- not a terribly likely circumstance and the only information we gain from it is the knowledge that the other scum never had much of a partner in the first place. (To be honest, I think that actually makes them much harder to spot.)

I consider what he's doing as tantamount to MafiaScum trolling, but to my knowledge there is no rule against it.

That is so lame. Why play the game then? What's the point in playing if you only read half the post and only reply with one or two lines at most. He should be policy lynched for bring the town down if he is town. Although if he isn't town and turns out to be scum that would be good for us. I see that it would be hard to determine if he is scum or not base on his other games but I haven't looked that those.

@the dom why even play a game that you don't seem invested in? Not very fun in my mind. If you are town, why are you so willing to get lynched?
Drixx
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #281 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:32 am

Post by Drixx »

Soulmarch and Kahlan just jumped up the scum list with blatant opportunism on display.
Get to know a Drixx - Recently Updated!
newbieinmafia
newbieinmafia
Goon
newbieinmafia
Goon
Goon

Post Post #282 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:46 am

Post by newbieinmafia »

In post 281, Drixx wrote:Soulmarch and Kahlan just jumped up the scum list with blatant opportunism on display.

Why not workdawg and me, considering others have already expressed an interest in lynching dom before my post?
Drixx
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #283 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:12 am

Post by Drixx »

In post 282, newbieinmafia wrote:
In post 281, Drixx wrote:Soulmarch and Kahlan just jumped up the scum list with blatant opportunism on display.

Why not workdawg and me, considering others have already expressed an interest in lynching dom before my post?

Go look at how you and Workdawg approached the situation, and compare to what Soulmarch and Kahlan did. Two of you are taking responsibility and the other two of you are just jumping on opportunistically.
Kahlan
Kahlan
Goon
Kahlan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #284 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:24 am

Post by Kahlan »

EE I wasnt trying to make my post seem scummy or anything. I was actually asking honestly. I want to know why someone would play the game like the way the Dom is playing. He barely posts. Why come on the game if you aren't activity making post or at least giving more tribute to the game. It really makes it hard for people to read him.. Town or not it makes it harder to play the game if we can't read him. I know people aren't fans of policy lynching and I wasn't trying to suggest that we have to do it. I was just stating if he is town shouldn't he want to help us more and if he doesn't want to help us then maybe he shouldn't be playing.
soulmonarch
soulmonarch
Goon
soulmonarch
Goon
Goon

Post Post #285 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:40 am

Post by soulmonarch »

*head tilt*

If you really do think that, then you read things
reeeeeaally
weird. What part of anything I have written regarding the situation with Dom reads as "opportunistic" to you? (I would expect it should read as "a little upset, because I feel as if our game is being trolled.")

One might note that I have been quite clear on my stance on this issue as far back as post . What are you saying I need to switch my vote to Dom right now in order to be considered legit in your eyes?

Honestly Drixx, I haven't seen anything out of you since other than a little bit of wild speculation and some mysterious posturing. And everything prior to that was primarily just a big fight with EE. I'm not calling you scum yet, but you sure aren't being helpful to town either.

Kahlan, at least, is participating and scumhunting. (And actually presenting thoughts which can be seen and therefore critiqued by everyone else.) Same with Workdawg and Newbie. Those are actually tells which *can* be interpreted as town. Your silence accompanied by occasional accusatory outbursts or ambiguous statements cannot.
[i]"I pledge to punch all switches, to never shoot where I could use grenades, to admit the existence of no level except Total Carnage, to never use Caps Lock as my 'run' key, and to never, ever, leave a single Bob alive."[/i]
Drixx
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #286 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:54 am

Post by Drixx »

Scum classically go on the attack when they feel threatened.

See #285.

Someone missed #272 apparently.
soulmonarch
soulmonarch
Goon
soulmonarch
Goon
Goon

Post Post #287 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:52 am

Post by soulmonarch »

In post 286, Drixx wrote:Scum classically go on the attack when they feel threatened.

See #285.

Your logic implies that you are allowed to baselessly accuse people as you see fit -- but if the target dares to find that action to be suspicious in any way and rebuts the point, it confirms them as scum.

A bizarre confirmation bias, to say the least. I don't believe anyone here requires a deeper explanation of how insane that logic is.

I do see , by the way. I appreciate you notifying us of V/LA status from the 4th-6th. However, I cited recalcitrant behavior beginning as early as the the 28th. And, if you had not noted it, I at least implied that your posting prior to that date was focused solely on attacking EE and therefore could potentially be scummy -- though that point could at least be rebutted, should you care to try.
Drixx
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #288 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:13 am

Post by Drixx »

In post 287, soulmonarch wrote:
In post 286, Drixx wrote:Scum classically go on the attack when they feel threatened.

See #285.

Your logic implies that you are allowed to baselessly accuse people as you see fit -- but if the target dares to find that action to be suspicious in any way and rebuts the point, it confirms them as scum.

A bizarre confirmation bias, to say the least. I don't believe anyone here requires a deeper explanation of how insane that logic is.

I do see , by the way. I appreciate you notifying us of V/LA status from the 4th-6th. However, I cited recalcitrant behavior beginning as early as the the 28th. And, if you had not noted it, I at least implied that your posting prior to that date was focused solely on attacking EE and therefore could potentially be scummy -- though that point could at least be rebutted, should you care to try.

You could explain how your post wasn't opportunistic. Instead, you chose to attack me. I simply pointed out that a classic scum tactic is to attack when someone points out something they do that is scummy. Here you are continuing to attack.

Me calling your post opportunistic isn't baseless just because you say so. You made a post advocating that we policy lynch someone and went so far as to suggest that they are intentionally joining games on this site just to troll people. You even talked about site rules. The implication of your post is that you believe he should be sitebanned and that we should lynch him whether or not we have any reason to believe he is scum because he's just a troll.

I predict you will attack me again instead of responding. Prove a jaded soul wrong?
Kahlan
Kahlan
Goon
Kahlan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #289 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:19 am

Post by Kahlan »

Lol I'm sorry I meant Drixx ^^ not EE in my post above.
Extrapolated Eagle
Extrapolated Eagle
Mafia Scum
Extrapolated Eagle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #290 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:31 pm

Post by Extrapolated Eagle »

Honestly drixx everyone has a fight or flight response when they feel threatened regardless of alignment. And the way you're talking to newbie, challenging and taunting her, often aggravates an attack. You are probably more experienced Han me, but I expect that means you're more likely to understand that scum (at least in my experience) are LESS likely to fight than town. Because calling an honest man a liar will cause a louder response than calling a liar a liar. The liar might even try to reason with you.
Extrapolated Eagle
Extrapolated Eagle
Mafia Scum
Extrapolated Eagle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #291 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:36 pm

I definitely see how reads like scum dipping their toes in the water to see how town will react, but take into account that Dom wasn't on the first reads list and newbie was asked that question and you get to the point where you're scum reading them together for newbie to have posted that intentionally, because it required setup. On top of that, newbie has been holding back and cautious all game, something that has made me uneasy but I'm reading her as town for now. The post you said was scummy was in keeping with the rest of her posts, so I don't see why you're scum read on her should appear out of nowhere for that post.

I think you're trying to cast doubt on someone who is working their way towards being a very strong town read, and this makes me more suspicious of you.
Drixx
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #292 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:59 pm

Post by Drixx »

Unvote

@EE - Please don't screw with ongoing conversations and gambits. Any firm read I could have gotten is blown up by your #290 and #291.
N e s s
N e s s
Goon
N e s s
Goon
Goon

Post Post #293 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:25 pm

Post by N e s s »

In post 292, Drixx wrote:
Unvote

@EE - Please don't screw with ongoing conversations and gambits. Any firm read I could have gotten is blown up by your #290 and #291.

Why are you unvoting for EE?

@Workdawg
I'm still very busy but i'm trying. I never promised that i'd get my reads up, just sometime near the end of the day. If it came off as a promise i broke then i'm sorry.

I will get my reads in at some point. I'll leave it at that.
Extrapolated Eagle
Extrapolated Eagle
Mafia Scum
Extrapolated Eagle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #294 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:22 pm

Drixx could you link me to a game where you claimed to have pulled a gambit, please? I'm a bit of a gambler myself and I'm curious to see how you pulled it off because to be honest I haven't been that good at selfanalyzing or figuring out what to do with the gambit I've pulled.
newbieinmafia
newbieinmafia
Goon
newbieinmafia
Goon
Goon

Post Post #295 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:52 pm

Post by newbieinmafia »

I am a bit confused. Were you talking about me or soul in ?
newbieinmafia
newbieinmafia
Goon
newbieinmafia
Goon
Goon

Post Post #296 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:56 pm

Post by newbieinmafia »

In post 293, N e s s wrote:@Workdawg
I'm still very busy but i'm trying. I never promised that i'd get my reads up, just sometime near the end of the day. If it came off as a promise i broke then i'm sorry.

I will get my reads in at some point. I'll leave it at that.

If you do it near the end of the day, we probably won't have enough time to discuss it.
soulmonarch
soulmonarch
Goon
soulmonarch
Goon
Goon

Post Post #297 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:57 pm

Post by soulmonarch »

In post 288, Drixx wrote:
In post 287, soulmonarch wrote:

See #285.

You could explain how your post wasn't opportunistic. Instead, you chose to attack me. I simply pointed out that a classic scum tactic is to attack when someone points out something they do that is scummy. Here you are continuing to attack.

Me calling your post opportunistic isn't baseless just because you say so. You made a post advocating that we policy lynch someone and went so far as to suggest that they are intentionally joining games on this site just to troll people. You even talked about site rules. The implication of your post is that you believe he should be sitebanned and that we should lynch him whether or not we have any reason to believe he is scum because he's just a troll.

I predict you will attack me again instead of responding. Prove a jaded soul wrong?

When you were only offering your
opinion
of me (e.g. "blatantly opportunistic", end of story) there was really very little to discuss. By definition, any opinion offered without backing rationale is "baseless." That is quite literally what the word means. Even simply saying that "it's a gut feeling" would offer some rationale, even if not something particularly defensible or useful at the moment. However, what you just wrote down is considerably better. Now I actually have a way to actually respond to you, and the rest of the town is able to judge for themselves whether or not they agree with your opinion. (And potentially condemn me for it, I they choose to.)

In other words: Thank you, that is exactly what I was asking for.

Now to answer:

Yes, my posts explicitly say that I believe his 'active lurking' playstyle is actively harmful to the game of forum Mafia in general and especially a smaller newbie game. I personally stand by that. However, it is not mine to say that he is deliberately trolling, and Workdawg stepped up to correct me about that in , which is fair.

You also suggest that I implied that he should be banned and that we should lynch him because he is a troll. I can see why you may have inferred the first point, and though you took it to a much more extreme conclusion than I would have, I will freely admit that I do wish there was at least some type of corrective action that could be taken. The second part I wish to refute completely. I believe I was fairly clear in that reason I dislike policy lynches so much is precisely because they are not really an option, statistically speaking. In a larger game, there would be more wiggle room -- but in a nine person game, he has to go on the first day or town may suffer a significant disadvantage. A policy lynch is never about killing a troll, it's about attempting to salvage a bad situation.

I want to take a moment to note one thing: You are the IC. Teaching about good game theory is absolutely within your purview. So if you believe this is an over-reaction on my part or that my view on the necessity of policy lynches is inaccurate, it would be absolutely acceptable for you to attempt re-educate me. I do not say you are required to so, of course, but I would certainly listen if you did. That is, after all, why I came back to a newbie game instead of heading out to the rest of the site.

-----

And on with the final points:

Poking back when put on the spot is the most human of reactions, town or scum. Especially in games with less experienced players, it would seem. In this case specifically, I am poking at you for the same reason you are poking me: It generates content and might eventually provide reads. Even just you attacking me is helpful, as I see it. Assuming I did get lynched, town might be able to make some educated choices later by looking back.

In all honestly, if I was going to call me out for something scummy, I'd have picked something else to draw me up on. It's hard to make a good case why scum would ever want to kill off Dom. If he's town, leaving him in the game is a huge boon to their side. Even assuming he is scum, it would still be preferable to push the case on someone else instead.
Extrapolated Eagle
Extrapolated Eagle
Mafia Scum
Extrapolated Eagle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #298 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:00 pm

In post 295, newbieinmafia wrote:I am a bit confused. Were you talking about me or soul in ?

You.
Extrapolated Eagle
Extrapolated Eagle
Mafia Scum
Extrapolated Eagle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #299 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:02 pm

In post 298, Extrapolated Eagle wrote:
In post 295, newbieinmafia wrote:I am a bit confused. Were you talking about me or soul in ?

You.

Crap. He was calling soul scum. Ugh. My bad there, sorry. :/.

Return to “Completed Newbie Games”