League of Legends (Old)

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #49175 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:21 am

Post by Papa Zito »

lol
Kappa
Just Monika
Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #49176 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:27 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 49168, animorpherv1 wrote:So, Reddit's in a bug hullaballoo over most likely not getting solo queue, so I did the math to see how many games it'd take to get a roughly 50% chance of playing premade 5s vs. random 5s, and in order to save me some time, in order to have a 50.4% chance of playing premade 5s vs. random 5s ONCE, you need to play 4800 games - so its effectively wash for the normal ranked player, despite how much it favours premades.

My understanding is that it's heavily weighted so that premades go against similar premades as well.

The issue with Dynamic Queue isn't playing against premades. It's having your rank compared to people that play in premades. If I play exclusively ranked premades with 4 other friends, I may play against almost exclusively ranked premades with 5 people on their team. But when I walk among the world of League and I display my shiney Platinum rank, what does it mean? Does it mean less because I could rely on my teammates? More because premades are more difficult?

And then when I decide "hey. I'll pop in for a few games of solo ranked" I'm now using a rank that's not the same as the vast majority of people who play solo. Maybe my MMR is too good for me, maybe it's too bad for me.

Fundamentally, the problem is that Dynamic Queue doesn't treat people's rank seriously enough. It waves its hand at the problem of people not being judged on the same standard because it wants to encourage people to team up together.

Anyway, I don't think the system can support both dynamic and soloqueue at a healthy level. I'd prefer Solo Queue with no duos, but I don't think both can survive.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #49177 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:15 am

Post by Psyche »

wow they buffed ekko yet again
You can't step in the same river twice.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #49178 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:16 am

Post by zoraster »

He's getting stronger as time goes on.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #49179 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:20 am

Post by Psyche »

they did nerf runic echoes i guess
You can't step in the same river twice.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #49180 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:23 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

I was aware that wasn't the issue - but I think people are legit being too serious about it. Rank doesn't matter until you hit gold for prizes, and then once you hit high diamond for competitive stuff if you want to play in LCS. Everything else is still superficial crap. Like, hitting plat currently gives you nothing but a sense of achievment, etc.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #49181 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:32 am

Post by Ankamius »

The entire point is that everyone is forced into the same queue for that ranked score even though the type of game you get varies wildly between game to game. As an example, queueing up solo and getting matched into a game with a 4man premade on each team, then getting no indication whatsoever that I'm matched with a 4man premade while the other 4man heavily includes their soloq player is a massive advantage even though I'm still left in the dust having to figure all this out by myself.

The level of variance across games increases the fewer players you queue up with, and that's a definite problem. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this was a major factor in why I've been seesawing in gold 5 the past few weeks when I play ranked at all.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #49182 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:41 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 49180, animorpherv1 wrote:I was aware that wasn't the issue - but I think people are legit being too serious about it. Rank doesn't matter until you hit gold for prizes, and then once you hit high diamond for competitive stuff if you want to play in LCS. Everything else is still superficial crap. Like, hitting plat currently gives you nothing but a sense of achievment, etc.

I guess it's "Superficial" in the sense that there's no tangible reward for it, but it's clearly not unimportant to people. I don't care about skins or borders. I do care about my rank. A sense of achievement is probably 95% of the reason to play ranked. Otherwise, why bother?
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #49183 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:43 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

As someone who has played ranked soli and dynamic:

1) It is much harder to "boost" people hilariously under your skill level than people think.
2) Gold 5 has always been shit die to people paying to get boosted there.

3) If you are playing at all, you should be improving as you reach higher ranks - otherwise you will still reach a point where you can't even climb with your friends.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #49184 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:46 am

Post by zoraster »

I'm not talking about boosting. I'm talking about the natural effects of the same person playing all the time with his 4 buddies vs. that same person playing by himself. His rank is unlikely to be the same unless all involved are the same level as he is, and even then it's hard to know because the system pairs premades up with premades as much as possible.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #49185 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:51 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

In post 49182, zoraster wrote:
In post 49180, animorpherv1 wrote:I was aware that wasn't the issue - but I think people are legit being too serious about it. Rank doesn't matter until you hit gold for prizes, and then once you hit high diamond for competitive stuff if you want to play in LCS. Everything else is still superficial crap. Like, hitting plat currently gives you nothing but a sense of achievment, etc.

I guess it's "Superficial" in the sense that there's no tangible reward for it, but it's clearly not unimportant to people. I don't care about skins or borders. I do care about my rank. A sense of achievement is probably 95% of the reason to play ranked. Otherwise, why bother?

I 'm not saying you aren't allowed to care - feel free! But each individual rank means very little as nothing but a small goal to hit to improve your play unless you put more into it then that - which is more than fine to do. Its this reason that I feel like people are slightly overblowing it - my rank has nothing to do with your rank, unless we play each other, and even then, at the end of the day, by the end of the ranked season, it will mean almost nothing again.

animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #49186 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:53 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

In post 49184, zoraster wrote:I'm not talking about boosting. I'm talking about the natural effects of the same person playing all the time with his 4 buddies vs. that same person playing by himself. His rank is unlikely to be the same unless all involved are the same level as he is, and even then it's hard to know because the system pairs premades up with premades as much as possible.

And the same issue was with duo q - but aside from the issue of having up to 3 extra people, duo queue was the saviour of rankd for many people.

mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #49187 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:55 am

Post by mykonian »

I'd happily avoid running the risk of playing with a 4 man premade too.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #49188 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:58 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

Which is once again less likely than people think, and they aren't as evil as people say. I have queedas 4 mans in norms, and very little (if ever) do we bitch about the 4th player and how its all his fault.

Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #49189 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:00 am

Post by Ankamius »

Norms don't equate to ranked very well.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #49190 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:01 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

In post 49189, Ankamius wrote:Norms don't equate to ranked very well.

I can say the quote and edit norms for ranked and still not benlig if it matters.

animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #49191 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:15 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

Basically, I'm not convinced that "These premades are fucking over my ranking" is nothing but an excuse.

zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #49192 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:19 am

Post by zoraster »

Oh, yeah. I agree with that. My argument is more about the integrity of the ranking system, not that my games are actually that much worse for it.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #49193 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:23 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

I can't say much about diminished integrity aside from "my solo queue games actually feel much better this year as a whole", so theres my perspective.

zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #49194 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:24 am

Post by zoraster »

Well, I'm not sure about you, but I think that may have to do with the champ select. Which is awesome, though it needs tweaks regarding the support position.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #49195 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:26 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

Agreed NCS needs tweaks (which is underway), and any changes premades made to diminish integrity feels like always getting the roles your team want have increased it by more.

Dwlee99
Dwlee99
They/them
Survivor
Dwlee99
They/them
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: They/them

Post Post #49196 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:28 am

Post by Dwlee99 »

I've been solo queueing (except for occasionally playing w/ my bro) and I've been climbing just fine.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #49197 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:31 am

Post by zoraster »

I actually think climbing as a solo should be easier than as a group.
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #49198 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:33 am

Post by hiplop »

In post 49196, Dwlee99 wrote:(except for occasionally playing w/ my bro)

leeroh is the man tbh
third best scummer of all time
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #49199 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:33 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

In post 49197, zoraster wrote:I actually think climbing as a solo should be easier than as a group.

Then you have to ask riot for some major changes to lol, because not only will you communicate better with people you know, but you can also guess what they will do, making your game easier on you - and this is true for virtually every game and sport.

Return to “The Arcade”