Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:54 am

Post by Thor665 »

In post 70, Col Mongoose wrote:
Unvote Thor665

Why am I no longer scummy?
Also - why is no one currently more scummy than anyone else?
A vote on no one is a vote that I guarantee you is not on scum, no one is confirmed by the Mod as not scum.
Last edited by Shadowmod on Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grendel
Grendel
Mafia Scum
Grendel
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:16 am

Post by Grendel »

In post 65, Thor665 wrote:
In post 60, Grendel wrote:eeehehe, yeah, my claim that his post was accidental, and intended for the mod it does sound less and less realistic by the minute. It just seemed so out of the blue at the time that I thought their wouldn't be any other reason a mafia would do that.

I will agree that, beyond being a conversation starter, there isn't much point to it at all.
People also self vote as conversation starters - I don't see the difference besides that one is less often seen (and therefore, serves the purpose better).
Want to vote Pants?

In post 60, Grendel wrote:So I guess you're of the impression it was a joke then- If you could I'd appreciate you'd tell me how joking about it so dryly was a good idea. Especially since he doesn't pull any cue's that it was a joke post. :/

He posted ample info for it to be a joke post in my opinion as soon as he noted that RVS was over (or that conversation had started, I forget his exact phrasing). That is pretty much a mic drop on a "I did this to start reactions" making it a reaction test. Now, we can debate whether it was a real or fake reaction test, I guess, but beyond that I really fail to see how people are still hung up on it now that we have reactions to the test, which are far more interesting.

Looks like there is a lot I need to get used to as far as the meta here goes.

I could vote Pants. Though it wouldn't be because you want me too, it'd be because I think I should. I know you're the IC and all, but it doesn't mean I should take your scum reads as fact.
Col Mongoose
Col Mongoose
Townie
Col Mongoose
Townie
Townie

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:37 am

Post by Col Mongoose »

@ Thor while I'm a total Newb I feel that my vote will be better used when I can make a more informed decision based on all the evidence that has been provided or to break a tie if such an event where to arise.
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:49 am

Post by Micc »

In post 39, Thor665 wrote:
In post 38, PhantomCobalt wrote:Shadow I know you have this computer talking thing going on but can you make it a bit easier to read?

Seconded - I wasn't going to say anything if it was just me, but those posts are straight up difficult to decipher.
It's a newbie, we're fighting uphill enough already :lol:

Thirded. I think its great as flavor, but id prefer that important game information such as votecounts and flips is easy to read.

In post 34, Grendel wrote:
To Micc, I think long days are good for town. Mafia
want
short days to limit town's discussion. Also, I wouldn't call it sitting around, there is always something to discuss.

I think that's a pretty common misconception. Proper lynch wagons don't just happen in the blink of an eye. The wagon needs to get to L-1, have an intent to hammer, the claim needs to be discussed, all of the previous voters need to reaffirm their intent to stay on the wagon. There is nothing limited about that amount of discussion.

The real issue comes when the deadline is 24 hours away and the largest wagon is 2 votes. Rush through the lynching process and you lose out on lots of valuable discussion. I'm a pretty firm believer that if you're not trying to push through a lynch wagon you're just sitting around.

Notes of the rest of the posts:
Thor's case on Pants seems fine. Not rock solid by any means, but fine for page 3.
Pants case against Thor doesn't do a great job of showing scum motivation. Town are just as likely to ask pressuring questions and vote hop as scum.
Keeping my vote on Colbalt. I don't really have a problem with an RVS scum claim, but id like to see him show that hes actually thinking about the game at this point.
"To hide a tree, use a forest" -Ninja Boy Hideo
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:52 am

Post by Micc »

And thats all I have for now. I'm home with family this weekend and may or may not find the time to read/post.

Mod: Please mark me as V/LA until Monday Night
"To hide a tree, use a forest" -Ninja Boy Hideo
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:32 am

Post by Thor665 »

In post 76, Grendel wrote:I could vote Pants. Though it wouldn't be because you want me too, it'd be because I think I should. I know you're the IC and all, but it doesn't mean I should take your scum reads as fact.

You can vote Pants for him being named after an article of clothing for all I care - my issue with you is you're not engaging your thoughts.
Even if (for whatever reason, i know lots of people have it, though I find it silly) you consider your vote too sacred to place willy-nilly you can still offer thoughts on what's going on. You feel like you're trying to play cards close to your chest. If you're scum, continue, it's a good plan. If you're town and are working super secret tells that are spoiled if you reveal them, continue,but be prepared to justify that reality, if you're town who is just assessing where to place a vote - weigh in on a few reads and value calls now, please and thank you.If you are utterly lost - vote Pants ;)

As a quick reference I point you to Micc's second to last post, wherein without placing a vote he was able to offer valid value calls on where he stood on some issues in the thread.

In post 77, Col Mongoose wrote:@ Thor while I'm a total Newb I feel that my vote will be better used when I can make a more informed decision based on all the evidence that has been provided or to break a tie if such an event where to arise.

You didn't let me know how I became less scummy.

Second question - if you believe the above, why did you vote me when you did?
Col Mongoose
Col Mongoose
Townie
Col Mongoose
Townie
Townie

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:15 am

Post by Col Mongoose »

Elementary Mr. Thor the reason I voted initially was because you tried to claim that I was scum and that my vote against you was a self defense reaction. You became less scummy after I thought about and didn't want to be responsible for getting the cop lynched Day 1 and thereby possibly making my life and the rest of towns life's that much more harder with no cop to help discover who the scum really is. So I'm currently leaning towards PC and my reasoning now is that you have claimed cop and PC has claimed to be a mafia roleblocker so essential if both your and PC's statements are true the scum can role block you all game and just murder us one by one while you would be unable to successful investigate any so that we aren't just stumbling around in the dark randomly accusing each other hoping that we might lynch a scum in the process.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:23 am

Post by Thor665 »

In post 81, Col Mongoose wrote:Elementary Mr. Thor the reason I voted initially was because you tried to claim that I was scum and that my vote against you was a self defense reaction. You became less scummy after I thought about and didn't want to be responsible for getting the cop lynched Day 1 and thereby possibly making my life and the rest of towns life's that much more harder with no cop to help discover who the scum really is. So I'm currently leaning towards PC and my reasoning now is that you have claimed cop and PC has claimed to be a mafia roleblocker so essential if both your and PC's statements are true the scum can role block you all game and just murder us one by one while you would be unable to successful investigate any so that we aren't just stumbling around in the dark randomly accusing each other hoping that we might lynch a scum in the process.

1. I have not claimed to be a Cop in any non-joking way.
2. When did I ever suggest your vote against me was self-defense?
3. You voted me after I had both voted, and unvoted you already - and had already "claimed" Cop, which as I recall you were calling a lie at the time, so why do you know believe me when before you thought I was lying?
Pants98
Pants98
Goon
Pants98
Goon
Goon

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:30 am

Post by Pants98 »

In post 73, Thor665 wrote:Pants is now agreeing that I have pointed out issues with his play that are true and factual.He is voting me because I moved my votes around (which is scummy...how? He doesn't say, apparently movement of votes is inherently scummy somehow).
He is also voting me because when I asked "does this concern you?" I wasn't clear enough that I wanted him to assess how it affects his read - and even though i was right in noting that it should affect his read, yet didn't, because I used the word "concerned" as opposed to "change" it's scummy because...it's unclear what I meant...even though I am correct in noticing it makes no sense that his vote remained.

Very happy with where my vote is right now.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That's all I can think after reading this.

Pants is now agreeing that I have pointed out issues with his play that are true and factual.

A I said earlier: :lol: Yes I do agree with you that I said "he is noob" twice. How could I deny that and how does it matter?
He is voting me because I moved my votes around (which is scummy...how? He doesn't say, apparently movement of votes is inherently scummy somehow).

Did you even read the entire thing? I pointed out how the first few times you hopped you didn't provide any reason. :facepalm:
He is also voting me because when I asked "does this concern you?" I wasn't clear enough that I wanted him to assess how it affects his read - and even though i was right in noting that it should affect his read, yet didn't, because I used the word "concerned" as opposed to "change" it's scummy because...it's unclear what I meant...even though I am correct in noticing it makes no sense that his vote remained.

You didn't say it should affect my read until after I responded. As I said earlier your question manipulated me into giving an answer that lets you make me look like scum.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:03 am

Post by Thor665 »

In post 83, Pants98 wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That's all I can think after reading this.

Yeah, if I was you I'd try to avoid addressing the issues raised there as well.
If I was scum.

In post 83, Pants98 wrote:A I said earlier: :lol: Yes I do agree with you that I said "he is noob" twice. How could I deny that and how does it matter?

It matters because it makes your case equally valid as a case for him being town as a case for him being town - I've said this to you already.
How is that confusing you?

In post 83, Pants98 wrote:I pointed out how the first few times you hopped you didn't provide any reason. :facepalm:

Ignoring that there are fairly clear implicit reasons for both votes - how was my lack of reasoning scummy in those two instances exactly?

In post 83, Pants98 wrote:You didn't say it should affect my read until after I responded. As I said earlier your question manipulated me into giving an answer that lets you make me look like scum.

Yes, I understand this is your story.
As I already stated in my last reply post to you - I don't buy it, and I discussed my reasoning. if you'd like to debate that info, I'm willing, but if all you want to do is repeat what I already take as a cover story to me - there's no point. I'm aware that is your initial response, and have responded to it already. I am now at the stage of trying to get other people to look at it and understand it as the scummy dodge I see it as.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:04 am

Post by Thor665 »

Honestly, I didn't realize it until I did those quotes - I'm adding nervous overuse of smilies to my case on Pants.
I'm not kidding.
Col Mongoose
Col Mongoose
Townie
Col Mongoose
Townie
Townie

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:18 am

Post by Col Mongoose »

I'm never said you were more or less scummy. I merely stated my opinion and now I feel like I'm getting Newb bashed for it as you have been one of the most active posters in the game thus far and you are one of the more experienced players in this current day, when I had voted for you I thought I had made a good meta read now I'm not sure and I want to standby and see what others opinions are?
Pants98
Pants98
Goon
Pants98
Goon
Goon

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:52 am

Post by Pants98 »

In post 84, Thor665 wrote:
In post 83, Pants98 wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That's all I can think after reading this.

Yeah, if I was you I'd try to avoid addressing the issues raised there as well.
If I was scum.

In post 83, Pants98 wrote:A I said earlier: :lol: Yes I do agree with you that I said "he is noob" twice. How could I deny that and how does it matter?

It matters because it makes your case equally valid as a case for him being town as a case for him being town - I've said this to you already.
How is that confusing you?

In post 83, Pants98 wrote:I pointed out how the first few times you hopped you didn't provide any reason. :facepalm:

Ignoring that there are fairly clear implicit reasons for both votes - how was my lack of reasoning scummy in those twonces exactly?

In post 83, Pants98 wrote:You didn't say it should affect my read until after I responded. As I said earlier your question manipulated me into giving an answer that lets you make me look like scum.

Yes, I understand this is your story.
As I already stated in my last reply post to you - I don't buy it, and I discussed my reasoning. if you'd like to debate that info, I'm willing, but if all you want to do is repeat what I already take as a cover story to me - there's no point. I'm aware that is your initial response, and have responded to it already. I am now at the stage of trying to get other people to look at it and understand it as the scummy dodge I see it as.

"It matters because it makes your case equally valid as a case for him being town as a case for him being town - I've said this to you already.
How is that confusing you?"

So bad case = scum. Seems legit

"Ignoring that there are fairly clear implicit reasons for both votes - how was my lack of reasoning scummy in those two instances exactly?"

We were out of RVS and you gave absoulutely no reason to vote. I have no idea why you are saying you gave a reason.

I don't want to debate that with you. I don't see anything coming out of that.
Shadowmod
Shadowmod
Goon
Shadowmod
Goon
Goon

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:45 pm

Post by Shadowmod »

Code: Select all

GENERATE />_ vote_count PARSE $curphase
parsing votes
. . . .
generating vote_count
  project PK8D3ZND
  1st testing cycle
  +—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————+
  | VOTE COUNT                                                                              |
  +—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————+
  |  THOR665          [ 2 / 5 ]                                                             |
  |    Col Mongoose     Pants98          ·                ·                ·                |
  + · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · +
  |  PHANTOMCOBALT    [ 1 / 5 ]                                                             |
  |    Micc             ·                ·                ·                ·                |
  + · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · +
  |  GRENDEL          [ 1 / 5 ]                                                             |
  |    PhantomCobalt    ·                ·                ·                ·                |
  |  PANTS98          [ 1 / 5 ]                                                             |
  |    Thor665          ·                ·                ·                ·                |
  +–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––+
  |  NOT VOTING       [ 4 / 9 ]                                                             |
  |    SugarJan         HobbesDuncan     Grendel          monogarden       ·                |
DONE.
/>_
1ST TESTING CYCLE
(expired on 2016-04-06 18:00:00)

Code: Select all

/>_
Modding History :Open 319: Jungle RepublicNewbie 1406: Krhyem on RhytehieaShadow's Delightfully Happy Newbie 1451 Mini 1635: Curse of the Werewolves
Current Games in Progress:
Mostly Flavoured Newbie 1692 NEWBIE 1693
Tag, Link and Length Restrictions on Signatures Are Annoying!
SugarJan
SugarJan
Townie
SugarJan
Townie
Townie

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:17 pm

Post by SugarJan »

Alright, sorry about not being available last night, some stuff came up. I’m all caught up now.

First, the joke/conversation starter posts were just that. Hobbes you’re looking at it a little too hard I believe. Also I’d like to hear more from you (although everyone gets busy and I get it). I think most everyone else has moved past those for the most part; anyway I certainly wouldn’t use them to make any form of solid case against either Thor or PhantomCobalt. If anyone honestly doubts that they were jokes ask me and I’ll gladly provide my full analysis.

Now then, to look at this another way, PC claimed scum and suddenly everyone jumped on him for it. These four players were: Monogarden, Col Mongoose, Micc, and Pants98 in that order. This brought him to L-1 astonishingly fast. There are two mafians in our little group of 9, and I’m pretty sure that at least one of these four would be scum. I claim this because I’ve actually done the exact same thing when I started playing mafia. A cop (who was insane) happened to claim that someone who was a townie was actually mafia. The mafia jumped on the chance to suddenly have so easy of a town lynch and the town turned around and used that against us since that was their plan all along. They got two of my mafian teammates using that method. It’s certainly not to say that I’m certain that I’m correct, but it is certainly a good place to start observing.

This brings me to another point. @Pants: You have done nothing but rub me the wrong way every time I have read your posts. I feel that there is something off about what you are saying. I cannot decide if it’s a little bit of some form of self-entitlement that you have and it’s just your personality, or if it is you being put under pressure and trying to get out of the way of the pressure and questions being placed onto you. Either way, you strike me as someone to watch more and so I will. I’d really like to evaluate any more defense that you have regarding dodging questions asked of you.

Also, hello all, I’m Jan.
And now I'm going to go study my Molecular Genetics because my test isn't going to study for itself! :3c
Grendel
Grendel
Mafia Scum
Grendel
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:53 pm

Post by Grendel »

In post 80, Thor665 wrote:
In post 76, Grendel wrote:I could vote Pants. Though it wouldn't be because you want me too, it'd be because I think I should. I know you're the IC and all, but it doesn't mean I should take your scum reads as fact.

You can vote Pants for him being named after an article of clothing for all I care - my issue with you is you're not engaging your thoughts.
Even if (for whatever reason, i know lots of people have it, though I find it silly) you consider your vote too sacred to place willy-nilly you can still offer thoughts on what's going on. You feel like you're trying to play cards close to your chest. If you're scum, continue, it's a good plan. If you're town and are working super secret tells that are spoiled if you reveal them, continue,but be prepared to justify that reality, if you're town who is just assessing where to place a vote - weigh in on a few reads and value calls now, please and thank you.If you are utterly lost - vote Pants ;)

As a quick reference I point you to Micc's second to last post, wherein without placing a vote he was able to offer valid value calls on where he stood on some issues in the thread.

Well I keep a list on my current thoughts on other players, in the other games I'd played I made a habit of posting it every new game day (Those game days were pretty short compared to here), but right now I didn't feel my reads were all that great, as I'm only suspicious of one player, and mildly suspicious of another. Like most my thoughts end with an "unsure" vibe regarding alignment. But ahh... sure i'll share my feelings with the public-

Current thoughts and opinions on NEWBIE 1693 roster:
Monogarden
: She sounds like she has a level head. Nothing about her really stands out to me other than that. I’m Unsure.

SugerJan
: Two post aren’t much to go on. But at least it appears they’re keeping up and not slacking on the game as I had originally thought. I’m Unsure.

HobbesDuncan
: With only one post to go on I can’t say much about them. I’m Unsure.

Pants
: Well- he is talkative. I don’t think he is much in the way of arguments. Most his cases have been weak, mainly struggling with continuity (holes). Also, seems flustered. I’m unsure atm, but slowly gravitating toward scum as time goes on.

Grendel
is a fictional character

Col Mongoose
: He seems really quick to call out, “But I’m new”, when ever his opinion is evaluated. He went after Cobalt, then Thor. The case with Thor interests me most because he went after him for a pretty bogus reason as there wasn’t even a day cop in the set up. While it could indeed be “new playeritsis”, ultimately I’m leaning scum.

Micc:
Was encouraging of the Cobalt Lynch, probably more than anybody else. However his reason for it, or rather what SugerJan implied, that seeing who rushed to vote Cobalt is of great significance seems like a town favored play. He hasn’t said a lot about Thor vs Pants, just a few sentences. Also It seems he won’t be in play for a few days, which is too bad b/c I wanted to hear more of his thoughts. I’m tentatively leaning town.

Cobalt
: Wasn’t fond of his first move, though I suppose it did accomplish stuff rather then causing unneeded noise. Currently the only one voting me… (I don’t think he likes me). Feeling Unsure.

Thor
: The most active player, as well as the IC. He brings up a lot of discussion and is keeping people attentive. So he is doing his job as the IC well, can’t say that it makes him more or less town to me as its like his duty to be helpful, so he’d perform the same as either side. Also given his experience, I’m reluctant to try and read him as a town or maf since I’d be more inclined to see him as a townie. I have a bad habit of wanting to trust very experienced players ^^’.

While Col Mongoose is my first suspect, I wonder if there is any merit to voting Hobbes to get him talking. Right now it just seems like he is lurking, and lurkers irk me.
HobbesDuncan
HobbesDuncan
Townie
HobbesDuncan
Townie
Townie

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:26 pm

Post by HobbesDuncan »

Ha, apologies for the mild lurking. Busy couple of days, other things taking priority and such- I'll probably still be relatively busy over the weekend, but I'll do my best to get on more.

Anyway, as to the game itself... accepting that all the fake claim nonsense was just a reaction test, I guess my only issue with it now is that it means we don't have much else to go on when it comes to reading PC? Which is somewhat hypocritical on my part, I suppose, but there you go. Even so, the lack of a read really doesn't compare to how I'm viewing Pants at the moment. Mostly because of this:

Pants98 wrote:

A: In post 40 the question you asked and the question you seem to want me to have answered are different. The way you worded it ("does this concern you?") asks if I'm concerned. As in scared or worried. Of course it didn't scare me that two theories I made were wrong. Why would it? But what I see in you're newer posts implies you asked me "Does this change anything?". If you wanted me to answer that question then why didn't you ask it? Of course I didn't tell you that my opinion changed because the answer to "does this concern you?" is not "I don't think PC is scum anymore,". It's either "Yes it terrifies me." or "No it doesn't.". I think you asked me "does this concern you?" because you wanted me to give the answer I did. You tricked me. I gave an answer that didn't change my opinion. You made sure I wouldn't by giving a question that didn't warrant one. After that add a few mistakes I made like saying he is noob scum or noob town instead of just saying he is noob, and you have a pretty solid case that everyone will believe.

Like... nothing about that argument seems remotely valid or reasonable to me. Trying to use quibbling wording differences to make it sound like 'does this concern you' doesn't obviously mean 'does this change anything' is just... sketchy, to me, and not at all a valid way out of the issue at hand? The rest of his stuff doesn't sit well with me either, but that one is just particularly bad.

Grendel's analysis seems well thought out, enough that I'm willing to suspect Col- however, Pants strikes me as the more suspicious of the two, although admittedly they're also the one I've been paying the most attention to.

At any rate, their arguments so far seem suspicious (by which I mean, poor and contradictory) and they've only got one vote, so I have no qualms with saying:

VOTE: Pants98
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:29 am

Post by Thor665 »

In post 86, Col Mongoose wrote:I'm never said you were more or less scummy.

I felt like the vote and then the unvote says exactly that - is that crazy?

In post 87, Pants98 wrote:So bad case = scum. Seems legit

Let's clarify it though to "knowingly bad case = scum" because that's actually what I'm saying.
I'm glad you agree, because I think the same thing, since I can see no reason for a town to advance a knowingly bad case outside of it being a reaction test - and if it was I'm thinking you would have said so by now.

In post 87, Pants98 wrote:"Ignoring that there are fairly clear implicit reasons for both votes - how was my lack of reasoning scummy in those two instances exactly?"

We were out of RVS and you gave absoulutely no reason to vote. I have no idea why you are saying you gave a reason.

That's fine, I said we could ignore that part - I note that you managed to dodge the actual question there though, because you didn't explain why it was scummy.

In post 87, Pants98 wrote:I don't want to debate that with you. I don't see anything coming out of that.

I do want to debate with you, because I think it's helping to clarify how you are scum.
Theoretically you (and everyone) should want to debate with me (and everyone) to;
1. Figure out their alignment.
2. Showcase that alignment to others.

In post 89, SugarJan wrote:Now then, to look at this another way, PC claimed scum and suddenly everyone jumped on him for it. These four players were: Monogarden, Col Mongoose, Micc, and Pants98 in that order. This brought him to L-1 astonishingly fast. There are two mafians in our little group of 9, and I’m pretty sure that at least one of these four would be scum. I claim this because I’ve actually done the exact same thing when I started playing mafia. A cop (who was insane) happened to claim that someone who was a townie was actually mafia. The mafia jumped on the chance to suddenly have so easy of a town lynch and the town turned around and used that against us since that was their plan all along. They got two of my mafian teammates using that method. It’s certainly not to say that I’m certain that I’m correct, but it is certainly a good place to start observing.

Why are you not voting one of these four/questioning their motives if you believe there is a higher than random chance of one of them being scum?

In post 90, Grendel wrote:
Col Mongoose
: He seems really quick to call out, “But I’m new”, when ever his opinion is evaluated. He went after Cobalt, then Thor. The case with Thor interests me most because he went after him for a pretty bogus reason as there wasn’t even a day cop in the set up. While it could indeed be “new playeritsis”, ultimately I’m leaning scum.

I'm actually going the other way - why do you see that as an action more likely to come from scum than town?

Thor
: The most active player, as well as the IC. He brings up a lot of discussion and is keeping people attentive. So he is doing his job as the IC well

That is not part of my job as the IC beyond being personally active.

In post 90, Grendel wrote:I wonder if there is any merit to voting Hobbes to get him talking. Right now it just seems like he is lurking, and lurkers irk me.

Do you think after announcing this a vote on Hobbes "to get hi talking" would have any benefit at all? Why/why not?

In post 91, HobbesDuncan wrote:Anyway, as to the game itself... accepting that all the fake claim nonsense was just a reaction test, I guess my only issue with it now is that it means we don't have much else to go on when it comes to reading PC?

We have more from him than most - and the reaction test motive itself is something that can be read.
I don't get the issue here, clarify?

In post 91, HobbesDuncan wrote:Trying to use quibbling wording differences to make it sound like 'does this concern you' doesn't obviously mean 'does this change anything' is just... sketchy, to me, and not at all a valid way out of the issue at hand? The rest of his stuff doesn't sit well with me either, but that one is just particularly bad.

Thank you for noticing.
The other issue is, at the end of the day, like he had multiple ways to answer that honestly. Instead he agreed that I was right but tried to argue that my word chocie was misleading as to my question. That reads to me as someone who *knew* they were shoveling it with both hands and ths didn't want to disagree with my conclusion because they shared it.
monogarden
monogarden
Goon
monogarden
Goon
Goon

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:10 am

Post by monogarden »

Current thoughts and opinions on NEWBIE 1693 roster:
Monogarden
: She sounds like she has a level head. Nothing about her really stands out to me other than that. I’m Unsure.

Thanks friend!
In post 91, HobbesDuncan wrote:Ha, apologies for the mild lurking. Busy couple of days, other things taking priority and such- I'll probably still be relatively busy over the weekend, but I'll do my best to get on more.

Sadly this is also me. I wanted to check in to say I'm here and have at least briefly read everyone's posts so far. Unfortunately I'm still in the stage of not being able to tell people apart yet so it's going to take me reading and rereading the thread so far to get fully caught up. Good news is I'm at work today which means prime posting time! :)
Grendel
Grendel
Mafia Scum
Grendel
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:00 am

Post by Grendel »

In post 92, Thor665 wrote:
Col Mongoose

I'm actually going the other way - why do you see that as an action more likely to come from scum than town?

Thor
: The most active player, as well as the IC. He brings up a lot of discussion and is keeping people attentive. So he is doing his job as the IC well

That is not part of my job as the IC beyond being personally active.

In post 90, Grendel wrote:I wonder if there is any merit to voting Hobbes to get him talking. Right now it just seems like he is lurking, and lurkers irk me.

Do you think after announcing this a vote on Hobbes "to get hi talking" would have any benefit at all? Why/why not?

About Col Mongoose

I think it sounds like an excuse designed to discredit any allegations put against him. While I'm not for sure that he is mafia, I've seen plays before where newb mafia members fly under the radar due to them successfully convincing the town that they're, "too incompetent" to be mafia. I could be wrong, but it seems like a tactic that a new mafiaso would want to utilize. Like a town may admit they're new, but unlike mafia they don't use like a crutch to avoid suspicion.
Pressure Voting lurkers

Well, it got him to post didn't it? (jk, he probably intended to post soon anyway) It's not that I suspected the guy of something shady as much as I want to hear more thoughts and opinions from those who aren't saying much, and he has said the least so far. And if threatening a vote accomplishes that then I don't see the harm.
So I'm under the impression you don't agree, why not?
monogarden
monogarden
Goon
monogarden
Goon
Goon

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:27 am

Post by monogarden »

In post 78, Micc wrote:
I think that's a pretty common misconception. Proper lynch wagons don't just happen in the blink of an eye. The wagon needs to get to L-1, have an intent to hammer, the claim needs to be discussed, all of the previous voters need to reaffirm their intent to stay on the wagon. There is nothing limited about that amount of discussion.

The real issue comes when the deadline is 24 hours away and the largest wagon is 2 votes. Rush through the lynching process and you lose out on lots of valuable discussion. I'm a pretty firm believer that if you're not trying to push through a lynch wagon you're just sitting around.

This is a good point. I played another game recently where someone said that he found it most illuminating when there was a 3-way tie going into the time to get serious with votes (this was in an 11-player game with 3 bad guys so the numbers are slightly off). It meant that scum had to become visible to move the vote off their partners and onto town instead. If there wasn't any scrambling, it was a safe bet that they were happy with the current target/target(s).

I think it's good to have a record of where you stand on people. A mafia-day lasts two weeks so there's plenty of time to re-evaluate as more people talk and possibly reveal themselves.
monogarden
monogarden
Goon
monogarden
Goon
Goon

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:35 am

Post by monogarden »

In post 85, Thor665 wrote:Honestly, I didn't realize it until I did those quotes - I'm adding nervous overuse of smilies to my case on Pants.
I'm not kidding.

Thor, I was with you on the rest of your case but I think this is pushing it a bit too far. Unless you're speaking from experience with Pants and have observed his smiley usage as both town/scum.

I know personally I use smilies based on the tone of my post and it doesn't indicate alignment.
monogarden
monogarden
Goon
monogarden
Goon
Goon

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:51 am

Post by monogarden »

Sorry, I didn't want to do a long post so I hope it isn't annoying if I post a couple times in a row. Also, I meant to get to the end of all the replies before I commented and then changed my mind and started quoting. There were a few things on previous pages that I want to go back to when I have a bit more time.
In post 89, SugarJan wrote:
Now then, to look at this another way, PC claimed scum and suddenly everyone jumped on him for it. These four players were: Monogarden, Col Mongoose, Micc, and Pants98 in that order. This brought him to L-1 astonishingly fast. There are two mafians in our little group of 9, and I’m pretty sure that at least one of these four would be scum. I claim this because I’ve actually done the exact same thing when I started playing mafia. A cop (who was insane) happened to claim that someone who was a townie was actually mafia. The mafia jumped on the chance to suddenly have so easy of a town lynch and the town turned around and used that against us since that was their plan all along. They got two of my mafian teammates using that method. It’s certainly not to say that I’m certain that I’m correct, but it is certainly a good place to start observing.

I think this is a good observation to make as long as you keep in mind that it's just an observation and don't go down the path of assuming there HAS to be scum present amongst these 4 votes.
Grendel
is a fictional character

:eek: Does this mean you're just pretending to be town???
Grendel
Grendel
Mafia Scum
Grendel
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:09 am

Post by Grendel »

Monogarden, Haha no. Grendel is a monster from an old epic- You know, Beowulf. Ergo Grendel is a fictional character. It doesn't mean anything really, just me goofing around.
monogarden
monogarden
Goon
monogarden
Goon
Goon

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:18 am

Post by monogarden »

Grendel wrote:Monogarden, Haha no. Grendel is a monster from an old epic- You know, Beowulf. Ergo Grendel is a fictional character. It doesn't mean anything really, just me goofing around.

I know, I'm just teasing :P

However, I remember what I wanted to go back to.
In post 34, Grendel wrote:
Not sure what to think of the Cobalt situation. I am glad y'all didn't end the day before I even got the chance to post anything.

In post 44, Grendel wrote:
Col Mongoose, I sincerely doubt PC is going to be able to slip through the cracks at this point. He tripped too hard to go unnoticed even as the day goes on. I'm quite certain he'll be lynched before the end of the day phase. So I wouldn't worry about it. (I'm p sure day cop is a joke right?)

The combination of these two posts pinged me a bit as did the analysis of Cobalt's move. Right now Pants is the other person I'm eyeing, but as he already has some pressure I will VOTE: Grendel

Return to “Completed Newbie Games”