Grendel
Grendel
Mafia Scum
Grendel
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:31 am

Post by Grendel »

Ah, okay. Well in my first post I hadn't really reviewed anything, I only saw that ppl were voting up Cobalt.

Then, in my second post I'd looked over things more, and did think that Cobalt was a mafia. I'm pretty sure I explained my reasoning at the time earlier when Thor asked me.
Last edited by Shadowmod on Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
SugarJan
SugarJan
Townie
SugarJan
Townie
Townie

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:27 am

Post by SugarJan »

In post 89, SugarJan wrote:
Now then, to look at this another way, PC claimed scum and suddenly everyone jumped on him for it. These four players were: Monogarden, Col Mongoose, Micc, and Pants98 in that order. This brought him to L-1 astonishingly fast. There are two mafians in our little group of 9, and I’m pretty sure that at least one of these four would be scum. I claim this because I’ve actually done the exact same thing when I started playing mafia. A cop (who was insane) happened to claim that someone who was a townie was actually mafia. The mafia jumped on the chance to suddenly have so easy of a town lynch and the town turned around and used that against us since that was their plan all along. They got two of my mafian teammates using that method. It’s certainly not to say that I’m certain that I’m correct, but it is certainly a good place to start observing.

Why are you not voting one of these four/questioning their motives if you believe there is a higher than random chance of one of them being scum?

I don't feel that I have enough information to vote for any one of them with the degree of certainty that I like to have.

However...

@Monogarden Col Mongoose Micc and Pants98
Why did you all place votes onto PhantomCobalt? Tell me the real reason and not "I thought he was really claiming scum". I believe someone claimed him as not trustworthy for that if he was town. Why? What about that post (other than the fact that he claimed role blocker) makes him not trustworthy as town?
monogarden
monogarden
Goon
monogarden
Goon
Goon

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:37 am

Post by monogarden »

In post 101, SugarJan wrote:
Why did you all place votes onto PhantomCobalt? Tell me the real reason and not "I thought he was really claiming scum". I believe someone claimed him as not trustworthy for that if he was town. Why? What about that post (other than the fact that he claimed role blocker) makes him not trustworthy as town?

RVS from me. Since I asked scum to volunteer themselves and he responded, I voted him. I didn't (and still don't) consider any of that exchange to be serious.

My vote was first and I removed it when I saw there was the possibility of a serious lynch.
Pants98
Pants98
Goon
Pants98
Goon
Goon

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:58 am

Post by Pants98 »

In post 101, SugarJan wrote:
In post 89, SugarJan wrote:
Now then, to look at this another way, PC claimed scum and suddenly everyone jumped on him for it. These four players were: Monogarden, Col Mongoose, Micc, and Pants98 in that order. This brought him to L-1 astonishingly fast. There are two mafians in our little group of 9, and I’m pretty sure that at least one of these four would be scum. I claim this because I’ve actually done the exact same thing when I started playing mafia. A cop (who was insane) happened to claim that someone who was a townie was actually mafia. The mafia jumped on the chance to suddenly have so easy of a town lynch and the town turned around and used that against us since that was their plan all along. They got two of my mafian teammates using that method. It’s certainly not to say that I’m certain that I’m correct, but it is certainly a good place to start observing.

Why are you not voting one of these four/questioning their motives if you believe there is a higher than random chance of one of them being scum?

I don't feel that I have enough information to vote for any one of them with the degree of certainty that I like to have.

However...

The real reason is I thought he was claiming scum. I have no clue what else you think it could be.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:19 am

Post by Thor665 »

In post 94, Grendel wrote:So I'm under the impression you don't agree, why not?

Well, for a number of reasons;

1. If they aren't posting, maybe they aren't reading - voting them at that stage won't help.
2. If they are reading, and are just being shy - simply *asking them to post* will work just as well as voting them - and allows you to vote scum reads instead.
3. If they're not shy, but have a lack of discussion topics - asking them a specific question about their thoughts will work better than an empty vote.
4. If they are intentionally not posting as a scum strategy - letting them know that the vote is for pressure alone before placing it will be unlikely to scare them into posting.

So, yeah, I don't get the point behind "voting to get them talking".

In post 96, monogarden wrote:Thor, I was with you on the rest of your case but I think this is pushing it a bit too far. Unless you're speaking from experience with Pants and have observed his smiley usage as both town/scum.

I know personally I use smilies based on the tone of my post and it doesn't indicate alignment.

I have only this small sample segment - as this game contains all of Pant's posts on site.
But, since smilies are used to convey emotion, and he went from zero smilies to a massive wall of trying to convey laughing dismissal of a (in my opinion quite valid) post. I disagree with you that it is not a valid issue to note.

If you don't support that supporting evidence, that's fine - the rest of my case on him is pretty solid, weigh in on that.
HobbesDuncan
HobbesDuncan
Townie
HobbesDuncan
Townie
Townie

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:23 pm

Post by HobbesDuncan »

In post 92, Thor665 wrote:

In post 91, HobbesDuncan wrote:Anyway, as to the game itself... accepting that all the fake claim nonsense was just a reaction test, I guess my only issue with it now is that it means we don't have much else to go on when it comes to reading PC?

We have more from him than most - and the reaction test motive itself is something that can be read.
I don't get the issue here, clarify?

Do we, though? Let me go over what he's posted...

Spoiler: Quotes, thoughts on quotes
In post 17, PhantomCobalt wrote:Is this how it works?
im bad, mafia roleblocker? i couldnt read my role message

Okay, this is the reaction test- which honestly still reads poorly to me, although that could just be me not shaking my initial take on it.

In post 21, PhantomCobalt wrote:what about this RVS i heard about?????

Continuing the joke/test or pretending to be new? Not sure what this is but it's not meaningful.

In post 32, PhantomCobalt wrote:Yes guys we are already out of rvs

Alright, here he finally wraps it up, apparently.

In post 38, PhantomCobalt wrote:Shadow I know you have this computer talking thing going on but can you make it a bit easier to read?

Not important to the game- although for the record, I honestly don't mind the computer talk, I'm enjoying the flavor. Even though he won't tell me what the acronym stands for.

In post 43, PhantomCobalt wrote:VOTE: Col

Lynch all non thread readers

Alright, here we have the first meaningful thing that wasn't part of the test- which is just him calling for a lynch on someone new who hadn't caught onto the joking quite yet, and doesn't seem to have much that's serious behind it.

In post 45, PhantomCobalt wrote:I'm going to actually be mad if I get lynched

Annnnd this is just him being annoyed at people taking the test seriously- although really, I'm surprised he's surprised, it's a newbie game.

In post 47, PhantomCobalt wrote:What's the difference between claiming day cop and claiming mafia role blocker?

In post 48, PhantomCobalt wrote:VOTE: Grendel

Honestly, at this point I'm just annoyed that you haven't bothered to come out and explain what you were doing, instead of just being annoyed at people not getting it.

In post 51, PhantomCobalt wrote:
In post 50, monogarden wrote:
In post 47, PhantomCobalt wrote:What's the difference between claiming day cop and claiming mafia role blocker?

One's a option in the game and the other isn't?

I guess that's obvious

Not anything of content here, just including it for completion's sake.

In post 61, PhantomCobalt wrote:Grendel have you done any of the recommended reading?

I'm not sure what to get from this... I'm guessing it's more of his not bothering to actually say what he was doing?

Annnnnd that's the last post in the thread from him. So yes, while we've heard more from him than others, like myself, what we
have
heard doesn't give us much to go on. The only meaningful things he's done are:

Make the fake claim/reaction test
Vote Col, then Grendel
Be annoyed that people didn't see the test was a test, without actually explaining what it was

Now, I'm getting something of a sense that we're expected to ignore the test in terms of getting a read on him. But if we do that, there's... really not that much to go on? I mean, maybe I'm dismissing some of his stuff too quickly. But his votes are lacking in substantial reasoning, his posts even more so. What he's done looks to me like a lot of talking without saying much of anything. Aside from feeling a certain irritation that, when it was obvious the newbies were taking his claim seriously, he didn't bother to actually come forward and explain what he was doing, I have nothing else to go on. And I know, it's early game, I understand being busy and not having time to post, only... he clearly does have time to post, because there's a lot of them?

At any rate, my issue with the claim is... well, honestly, the more I think about it the less sense my dislike of it makes. I guess I need to stop overthinking it and just assume it was nothing more than a reaction test, which means it doesn't read either way in the slightest. In which case, then I'm looking at someone who has the appearance of activity, so he can't be called a lurker or anything, but in a way that doesn't have enough content to read him. Which is... enough to make me look at him oddly, at least. Not scumreading, but uneasy and wanting to hear more.

Also,
@PhantomCobalt,
when it's clear people aren't understanding what you're trying to do, I'd recommend coming out and explaining it yourself instead of letting other people do it or hoping everyone will figure it out. Also, since you started the test, I'd rather like to hear your thoughts on the results of it.

...Hmm. That was actually pretty helpful in getting my thoughts in order. Should do that for everyone else when I get a chance.
Grendel wrote:
Pressure Voting lurkers

Well, it got him to post didn't it? (jk, he probably intended to post soon anyway)

Just wanted to say it was both- was planning on posting anyway, the potential threat got me to decide I was better off
not
waiting for the morning, haha.
Shadowmod
Shadowmod
Goon
Shadowmod
Goon
Goon

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:39 pm

Post by Shadowmod »

Code: Select all

GENERATE />_ vote_count PARSE $curphase
parsing votes
. . . .
generating vote_count
  project PK8D3ZND
  1st testing cycle
  +—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————+
  | VOTE COUNT                                                                              |
  +—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————+
  |  THOR665          [ 2 / 5 ]                                                             |
  |    Col Mongoose     Pants98          ·                ·                ·                |
  + · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · +
  |  PANTS98          [ 2 / 5 ]                                                             |
  |    Thor665          HobbesDuncan     ·                ·                ·                |
  + · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · +
  |  PHANTOMCOBALT    [ 1 / 5 ]                                                             |
  |    Micc             ·                ·                ·                ·                |
  |  GRENDEL          [ 1 / 5 ]                                                             |
  |    PhantomCobalt    ·                ·                ·                ·                |
  +–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––+
  |  NOT VOTING       [ 3 / 9 ]                                                             |
  |    SugarJan         Grendel          monogarden       ·                ·                |
DONE.
/>_
1ST TESTING CYCLE
(expired on 2016-04-06 18:00:00)

/>_
Modding History :Open 319: Jungle RepublicNewbie 1406: Krhyem on RhytehieaShadow's Delightfully Happy Newbie 1451 Mini 1635: Curse of the Werewolves
Current Games in Progress:
Mostly Flavoured Newbie 1692 NEWBIE 1693
Tag, Link and Length Restrictions on Signatures Are Annoying!
PhantomCobalt
PhantomCobalt
Mafia Scum
PhantomCobalt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:47 pm

Post by PhantomCobalt »

Getting results from that was really hard cuz it's hard to tell if "I'm new" is genuine
Speed don't lie.
CC
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:54 pm

Post by Thor665 »

In post 105, HobbesDuncan wrote:Do we, though? Let me go over what he's posted...

Yes, I think we do.
If you need/want me to go over his posts one at a time and compare them to players you don't seem to think people should have trouble reading I'd be happy to explain why he's on the high end of information offered in this game - but I also feel that is so self-evident as prima facie that I'm not sure why you'd need me to do so. But I will if you repeat a state of uncertainty/doubt on that issue to me again. Let me know.

In post 107, PhantomCobalt wrote:Getting results from that was really hard cuz it's hard to tell if "I'm new" is genuine

Were you not expecting that going in, considering...y'know...newbie game?
Col Mongoose
Col Mongoose
Townie
Col Mongoose
Townie
Townie

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:26 am

Post by Col Mongoose »

Well simply put I thought that we had lucked out and PC had a brain fart that is what I thought and why I initially voted for him.
monogarden
monogarden
Goon
monogarden
Goon
Goon

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:12 am

Post by monogarden »

I did a bad job reading how to put votes in correctly so my vote never actually went through :oops:

VOTE: Grendel

Hope this works better!
Pants98
Pants98
Goon
Pants98
Goon
Goon

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:33 am

Post by Pants98 »

In post 110, monogarden wrote:I did a bad job reading how to put votes in correctly so my vote never actually went through :oops:

VOTE: Grendel

Hope this works better!

Did I miss something? Why are people voting Grendel?
Grendel
Grendel
Mafia Scum
Grendel
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:19 am

Post by Grendel »

Monogarden thinks my first two posts are contradictory enough to merit a vote. Cobalt voted me after I said that he is likely to be lynched, and I guess voted me out of annoyance?

Personally I would like some more elaboration from you two on why you both have a case on me. Because both reasons seem kinda vague.
Pants98
Pants98
Goon
Pants98
Goon
Goon

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:38 am

Post by Pants98 »

In post 112, Grendel wrote:Monogarden thinks my first two posts are contradictory enough to merit a vote. Cobalt voted me after I said that he is likely to be lynched, and I guess voted me out of annoyance?

Personally I would like some more elaboration from you two on why you both have a case on me. Because both reasons seem kinda vague.

Uh... I don't have a case on you. :neutral:
Shadowmod
Shadowmod
Goon
Shadowmod
Goon
Goon

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:44 am

Post by Shadowmod »

GENERATE />_ vote_count PARSE $curphase
parsing votes
. . . .
generating vote_count
  project PK8D3ZND
  1st testing cycle
  | VOTE COUNT                                                                              |
  |  THOR665          [ 2 / 5 ]                                                             |
  |    Col Mongoose     Pants98          ·                ·                ·                |
  |  PANTS98          [ 2 / 5 ]                                                             |
  |    Thor665          HobbesDuncan     ·                ·                ·                |
  |  GRENDEL          [ 2 / 5 ]                                                             |
  |    PhantomCobalt    monogarden       ·                ·                ·                |
  |  PHANTOMCOBALT    [ 1 / 5 ]                                                             |
  |    Micc             ·                ·                ·                ·                |
  +–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––+
  |  NOT VOTING       [ 2 / 9 ]                                                             |
  |    SugarJan         Grendel          ·                ·                ·                |
DONE.
/>_
1ST TESTING CYCLE
(expired on 2016-04-06 18:00:00)

/>_

atten.tion. please.
we. would. like. to. a.nnounce. that.
test. sub.ject.
i.d. number. six.
name. col. mongoose.
has. been. de.tect.ed.
do.ing. bad. scien.ce.
to. not. furth.er. com.prom.ise.
proper. test.ing. procedure.s.
we. will. re.place. him.
by. an.other. test. sub.ject.
e.ffect. immediate.ly.
to. not. furth.er. comprom.ise. proper. science. procedure.s.
all. in.forma.tion re.gard.ing. this. in.cident.
are. to. be. kept. class.ifi.ed.
un.til. suc.cess.ful. com.ple.tion.
of. all. scien.ce. operation.s.
P.S.E.W.D.O.Inc. would. like. to apolog.ize.
for. the. in.convenien.ce.[/font]

Spoiler: in case that wasn't clear enough
Col_mongoose is being force-replaced for undisclosed reasons, which shall not be discussed by any one involved until this game is over. From this post onwards, he is no longer allowed to post in this thread.
I'd like to remind him that the site rule against discussing ongoing games outside authorized game threads still applies to him after his replacement.

/>_
Last edited by Shadowmod on Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Modding History :Open 319: Jungle RepublicNewbie 1406: Krhyem on RhytehieaShadow's Delightfully Happy Newbie 1451 Mini 1635: Curse of the Werewolves
Grendel
Grendel
Mafia Scum
Grendel
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:56 am

Post by Grendel »

Pants98 wrote:

No, I mean Monogarden, and Cobalt.

You haven't said anything about me one way or the other until just now. So Why would I ask you?
Pants98
Pants98
Goon
Pants98
Goon
Goon

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:21 pm

Post by Pants98 »

In post 115, Grendel wrote:
Pants98 wrote:

No, I mean Monogarden, and Cobalt.

You haven't said anything about me one way or the other until just now. So Why would I ask you?

Derp. :facepalm: :facepalm:
Shadowmod
Shadowmod
Goon
Shadowmod
Goon
Goon

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:42 pm

Post by Shadowmod »

/>_

good. new.s.
we. are. de.light.ed.
to in.form. you.
that. we. have. found.
an.other. test. sub.ject.
well.
some.thing. like. it. any.way.
he. has. no. pri.or.
scien.tific. ex.perience.
but. so. have.
half. the. bunch.
of. you.
he. is. called.
orange.
P.S.E.W.D.O.Inc. would. like.
to. thank.
test. sub.ject.
i.d. number. six.
name. orange.
for. dedicat.ing. his. life.
to scien.ce.

UPDATE />_ proband_info.dat ID# $6 WRITE NAME $Orange
. .
test subject information updated.
DONE.
/>_
Last edited by Shadowmod on Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Orange
Orange
Townie
Orange
Townie
Townie

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:51 pm

Post by Orange »

k, i take it you all like long walls of text

but im going to be concise and straight to the point

ill post a review in the morning

but a headsup if you find my playstyle scummy
Orange
Orange
Townie
Orange
Townie
Townie

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:54 pm

Post by Orange »

also im a blunt guy

so don't take anything personally
HobbesDuncan
HobbesDuncan
Townie
HobbesDuncan
Townie
Townie

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:34 pm

Post by HobbesDuncan »

In post 108, Thor665 wrote:
In post 105, HobbesDuncan wrote:Do we, though? Let me go over what he's posted...

Yes, I think we do.
If you need/want me to go over his posts one at a time and compare them to players you don't seem to think people should have trouble reading I'd be happy to explain why he's on the high end of information offered in this game - but I also feel that is so self-evident as prima facie that I'm not sure why you'd need me to do so. But I will if you repeat a state of uncertainty/doubt on that issue to me again. Let me know.

Um... did you read the rest of that post? (Note: not rhetorical, that is genuine uncertainty.) Because I went over all his posts and found and explained why I felt there was something of a lack of content there- I'm not so much
doubting
that he's on the high end of information as actively disagreeing. If there's some information you're getting from PC's posts that I've missed, then yes, by all means, please explain what it is. You probably don't need to go as in-depth as you suggested or analyze/compare each individual post or anything, but some evidence or explanation would be ideal- as is, I certainly don't think you have enough to describe your opinion as 'self-evident.'
Orange
Orange
Townie
Orange
Townie
Townie

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:46 pm

Post by Orange »

In post 26, monogarden wrote:Since I think (hope?) he was joking, UNVOTE: PhantomCobalt

meh post

did you really expect someone to hammer pc

and then get instalynched tomorrow
Orange
Orange
Townie
Orange
Townie
Townie

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:48 pm

Post by Orange »

In post 30, HobbesDuncan wrote:I... can't really imagine anyone would be incompetent enough to just outright admit to being scum that early on- I'd barely believe it from a newbie, much less an SE.

Which of course raises the question as to what PC is actually doing, because nothing about this reads as a good play. If he's town, there'd be no reason to take the risk or pull all this initial suspicion, even as a joke. Slightly more plausible is that he's mafia and this is a very risky bit of reverse psychology or something. So, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until he responds, but I guess I'm inclined to think he's actually scum here?

the first sentence pings me as fake

and then you threw shade at him in the second paragraph

when in the first sentence you expressed a conflicted and unsure opinion about what pc was doing

sounds like a contradiction?
Orange
Orange
Townie
Orange
Townie
Townie

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:51 pm

Post by Orange »

a fuck ton of difference

claiming scum gets a wagon on you

claiming day cop is dumb

and thor is our IC

but yes in theory their both the same; but reaction-wise I don't see a wagon on thor

so that begs the question

why isn't our IC getting more votes
Orange
Orange
Townie
Orange
Townie
Townie

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:52 pm

Post by Orange »

In post 49, Grendel wrote:Interesting point, but by claiming mafia, joke or otherwise, you reveal you're a threat to town. If you're a real mafia you're our foe, if you're joking you've caused an unnecessary distraction that detracts from that day's discussion, as well as making people super wary of you.

A day cop wouldn't be a threat to town, lol. At worse he could be a mafia claiming cop, which would be a gambit in of itself, ei low rate of success.

If you're voting to bait into an OMGUS counter vote it won't work. I never vote this early in the day.

k i can't tell if this is a newbie town post or a newbie scum post

let me do an iso of him

Return to “Completed Newbie Games”