Code Mafia: Interest Gauge.

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Code Mafia: Interest Gauge.

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:50 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Hey, I'm thinking about running a set up that is based around a theme that includes coding challenges as a major component of the game. Not talking about anything super difficult, but there are algorithmic challenges that the players have to solve at certain points throughout the day. I've noticed a lot of coders on the site and I think it would be a really sweet idea (I've already written out a skeleton for it)

I just wonder if there would be enough interest in this game (a large enough pool of players who would find this sort of thing doable and fun) in order to make it worth my while to put in the work to finish designing it.

So, simple question: Do you think this would work, or do you think the pool of potential players is too small? Especially interested in knowing if this is something you personally would like.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
itlepip
itlepip
Mafia Scum
itlepip
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:22 am

Post by itlepip »

I would play this even if I had to learn whatever language.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:24 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

All challenges would be language agnostic!

:)
Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty
Pronoun: She

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:45 am

Post by Frozen Angel »

I will play this surely!
False tears bring pain to those around you
False smile brings pain to one's self

"Frozen Like Your Heart." -Ginngie
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:21 am

Post by Psyche »

setup would need to integrate challenges in an interesting way
You can't step in the same river twice.
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:25 pm

Post by DiamondSentinel »

Yet it shouldn't make or break the victor of the game.

I'd be interested if I was actually able to join, which I might not be able to.
“Why was I chosen?'
'Such questions cannot be answered,' said Gandalf. 'You may be sure that it was not for any merit that others do not possess. But you have been chosen, and you must therefore use such strength and heart and wits as you have.”
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:26 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

Why wouldn't you be able to join?
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:27 pm

Post by Accountant »

Interested. Would pre-in if I could.
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:09 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

Here's an example of a challenge on the very easiest bound of what will be in the game. (though this specific challenge will not be in the game.)

You are attempting to get to the correct floor of a large apartment building, trying to prevent the terrorists from blowing it up. Unfortunately, your instructions for which floor they are on comes from an encoded communication and its all garbled. Luckily, your support team has given you a key for figuring out what it means.

An opening parenthesis, (, means you should go up one floor, and a closing parenthesis, ), means you should go down one floor.

The apartment building is very tall, and the basement is very deep; you will never find the top or bottom floors.

For example:

(()) and ()() both result in floor 0.
((( and (()(()( both result in floor 3.
))((((( also results in floor 3.
()) and ))( both result in floor -1 (the first basement level).
))) and )())()) both result in floor -3.

given the instructions, what floor do you have to reach to stop the plot?

Code: Select all

((((()(()(((((((()))(((()((((()())(())()(((()((((((()((()(()(((()(()((())))()((()()())))))))))()((((((())((()))(((((()(((((((((()()))((()(())()((())((()(()))((()))()))()(((((()(((()()))()())((()((((())()())()((((())()(()(()(((()(())(()(())(((((((())()()(((())(()(()(()(())))(()((((())((()))(((()(()()(((((()()(()(((()(((((())()))()((()(()))()((()((((())((((())(()(((())()()(()()()()()(())((((())((())(()()))()((((())))((((()())()((((())((()())((())(())(((((()((((()(((()((((())(()(((()()))()))((((((()((())()())))(((()(()))(()()(()(((()(()))((()()()())((()()()(((())())()())())())((()))(()(()))(((((()(()(())((()(())(())()((((()())()))((((())(())((())())((((()(((())(())((()()((((()((((((()(())()()(()(()()((((()))(())()())()))(())))(())))())()()(())(()))()((()(()(())()()))(()())))))(()))(()()))(())(((((()(()(()()((())()())))))((())())((())(()(())((()))(())(((()((((((((()()()(()))()()(((()))()((()()(())(())())()(()(())))(((((()(())(())(()))))())()))(()))()(()(((((((()((((())))())())())())()((((((((((((((()()((((((()()()())())()())())())(())(())))())((()())((()(()))))))()))))))))))))))))())((())((())()()))))))(((()((()(()()))((())(()()))()()())))(())))))))(()(((())))())()())))()()(())()))()(()))())((()()))))(()))))()))(()()(())))))))()(((()))))()(()))(())())))))()))((()))((()))())(())))))))))((((())()))()))()))())(())()()(())))())))(()())()))((()()(())))(())((((((()(())((()(((()(()()(())))()))))))()))()(()((()))()(()))(()(((())((((())())(())(()))))))))())))))))())())))))())))))()()(((())()(()))))))))())))))(())()()()))()))()))(()(())()()())())))))))())()(()(()))))()()()))))())(()))))()()))))()())))))(((())()()))(()))))))))))()()))))()()()))))(()())())()()())()(()))))()(()))(())))))))(((((())(())())()()))()()))(())))))()(()))))(())(()()))()())()))()))()))()))))())()()))())())))(()))(()))))))())()(((())()))))))))()))()())))())))())))()))))))))))()()))(()()))))))(())()(()))))())(()))))(()))))(()())))))())())()()))))())()))))))))(()))))()))))))()(()())))))))()))())))())))())))())))))))())(()()))))))(()())())))()())()))))))))))))))())))()(())))()))())()()(())(()()))(())))())()())(()(()(()))))())))))))))))())(()))()))()))))(())()())()())))))))))))()()))))))))))))())())))))(()())))))))))))())(())))()))))))))())())(()))()))(())))()))()()(())()))))))()((((())()))())())))))()))()))))((()())()))))())))(())))))))))))))))))()))))()()())()))()()))))())()))((()())))())))(()))(()())))))))()))()))))(())))))))(())))))())()()(()))())()))()()))))())()()))))())()))())))))))(()))))()())()))))))))(()))())))(()))()))))(())()))())())(())())())))))))((((())))))()))()))()())()(())))()))()))()())(()())()()(()())()))))())())))))(()))()))))())(()()(())))))(())()()((())())))))(())(())))))))())))))))))()(())))))))()())())())()(()))))))))(()))))))))())()()))()(()))))))()))))))())))))))(())))()()(())()())))))(((())))()((())()))())))(()()))())(())())))()(((()())))))()(()()())))()()(()()(()()))())()(()()()))())()()))()())(()))))())))))())))(())()()))))(()))))(())(()))(())))))()()))()))))())()))()()(())())))((()))())()))))))()()))))((()(()))))()()))))))())))))())(()((()())))))))))))()())())))()))(()))))))(()))(())()())))(()))))))))())()()()()))))(()())))))))((())))()))(()))(())(())()())()))))))))(())))())))(()))()()))(()()))(()))())))()(())))())((()((()(())))((())))()))))((((())())()())))(())))()))))))())(()()((())))())()(()())))))(()())()))())))))))((())())))))))(()(()))())()()(()()(((()(((()())))))()))))))()(())(()()((()()(())()()))())()())()))()())())())))))))(((())))))))()()))))))(((())()))(()()))(()()))))(()(()()((((())()())((()()))))(()(())))))()((()()()())()()((()((()()))(()))(((()()()))(((())))()(((())()))))))((()(())())))(()())(((((()(()))(()((()))(()())()))))(()(()))()(()))(())(((())(()()))))()()))(((()))))(()()()()))())))((()()()(())()))()))))()()))()))))))((((((()()()))))())((()()(((()))))(()(())(()()())())())))()(((()()))(())((())))(()))(()()()())((())())())(()))))()))()((()(())()(()()(())(()))(())()))(())(()))))(())(())())(()()(()((()()((())))((()))()((())))(((()()()()((((()))(()()))()()()(((())((())())(()()(()()()))()((())(())()))())(((()()(())))()((()()())()())(()(())())(((())(())())((())(())()(((()()))(())))((())(()())())(())((()()()((((((())))((()(((((())()))()))(())(()()))()))(())()()))(())((()()())()()(()))())()((())))()((()()())((((()())((())())())((()((()))()))((())((()()(()((()()(((())(()()))))((()((())()(((())(()((())())((())(()((((((())())()(()())()(())(((())((((((()(())(()((()()()((()()(()()()())))()()(((((()()))()((((((()))()(()(()(()(((()())((()))())()((()))(())))()))()()))())()()))())((((())(()(()))(((((((())(((()(((((()(((()()((((())(((())())))(()()()(()(()))()))((((((()))((()(((()(())((()((((()((((((())(((((())))(((()(()))))(((()(((())()((())(()((()))(((()()(((())((((()(()(((((()))(((()(((((((()(()()()(()(()(()()())(())(((((()(())())()())(()(()(()))()(()()()())(()()(()((()))()((())())()(()))((())(()))()(()))()(((()(()(()((((((()()()()())()(((((()()(((()()()((()(((((()))((((((((()()()(((((()))))))(()()()(())(()))(()()))))(())()))(((((()(((((()()(()(()())(((()))((((()((()(()(()((()(()((())))()(((()((()))((()))(((((((((()((()((()(())))()((((()((()()))((())(((()(((((()()(()(()()((()(()()()(((((((())())()())))))((((()()(()))()))(()((())()(()(((((((((()()(((()(()())(()((()())((())())((((()(((()(((()((((()((()((((()(()((((((())((((((((((((()()(()()((((((((((((((()((()()))()((((((((((((())((((()(()())((()(()(()))()(((((()()(((()()))()())(())((()(((((()((())(((((()((()(((((()))()()((((())()((((())(((((((((()(())(()(())))())(()((())(((())(())(())())(()(()(())()()((()((())()(((()(((((()(())))()(((()((())))((()()()(((()(((()((()(()(())(()((()())(()(()(((()(((((((((())(()((((()()))(()((((()()()()(((()((((((((()(()()((((((()(()()(()((()((((((((((()()(((((((()())(())))(((()()))(((((()((()()())(()()((((())((()((((()))))(())((()(()()(((()(()(((()((((()(((((()))())())(()((())()))(((()())((())((())((((()((()((((((())(()((((()()))((((((())()(()))((()(((())((((((((((()()(((((()(((((()((()()()((((())))(()))()((()(())()()((()((((((((((()((())(())(((((()(()(()()))((((()((((()()((()(((()(((((((((()(()((()((()))((((((()(((())()()((()(((((((()())))()()(()((()((()()(((()(()()()()((((()((())((((()(((((((((()(((()()(((()(()(((()(((()((())()(()((()(()(()(()))()(((()))(()((((()((())((((())((((((())(()))(()((((())((()(()((((((((()()((((((()(()(()()()(())((()((()()(((()(((((((()()((()(((((((()))(((((()(((()(()()()(()(((()((()()((())(()(((((((((()(()((()((((((()()((())()))(((((()((())()())()(((((((((((()))((((()()()()())(()()(()(()()))()))(()))(()(((()()))())(()(()))()()((())(()())()())()(()))()))(()()(()((((((())((()(((((((((((()(())()((()(()((()((()(()((()((((((((((()()())((())()(())))((())()())()(((((()(()())((((()((()(())(()))(((())()((()))(((((())(()))()()(()))(((())((((()((((()(())))(((((((()))))())()())(())((())()(()()((()(()))()(()()(()()((()())((())((()()))((((()))()()))(()()(())()()(((((()(())((()((((()))()))(()())())(((()()(()()))(())))))(()))((())(((((()((((()))()((((()))()((())(((())))(((()())))((()(()()((
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:24 pm

Post by DiamondSentinel »

I might not be able to because July-August I have mandatory leave of absence for Basic Training at the Air Force Academy. After that, I might not even have time to play much mafia anyways.
“Why was I chosen?'
'Such questions cannot be answered,' said Gandalf. 'You may be sure that it was not for any merit that others do not possess. But you have been chosen, and you must therefore use such strength and heart and wits as you have.”
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:10 pm

Post by Accountant »

NO CODES IN MAFIA GAMES

But honestly this shouldn't be too difficult to write a simple program to calculate. Do we send in like a pastebin of our algo or...?

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:11 pm

Post by Psyche »

Is there a mishmash for coding challenges? I feel like that might work better. But once again, a neat game design is everything.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:43 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

I have a game design. I'm not worried about it. I am pretty happy with it as a mafia game, I just don't want to try to run it if there aren't enough people that want to play it.

In the example accountant, you would send me the correct answer. Like I said, this is an example of something pretty easy. How you get it is up to you. In this particular challenge it is possible, although really time consuming, to get the solution using no code at all.

I just want people to get a feel for what the difficulty might be like.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:47 pm

Post by Accountant »

What's stopping someone from manually counting the brackets?

itlepip
itlepip
Mafia Scum
itlepip
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:26 pm

Post by itlepip »

74?
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:34 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 13, Accountant wrote:What's stopping someone from manually counting the brackets?

In this example, nothing.

But that's a feature, not a bug.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:09 pm

Post by Psyche »

oh, so you're not asking for people's code
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:25 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

In this particular challenge no I am not.
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:23 am

Post by Kagami »

In post 16, Psyche wrote:oh, so you're not asking for people's code

Asking for code is absurd if the challenge is intended to be code-agnostic.

I think I'd be more interested as a mish mash. It seems like you'd have to be very meticulous about how challenges are assigned (i.e. determine
everything
pregame) to avoid problems with mod intervention, and the game is going to suffer if some players will easily complete all the challenges, while others will complete relatively few.
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:33 am

Post by Plotinus »

Code: Select all

>>> elevator.count('(')-elevator.count(')')
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:49 am

Post by Psyche »

PYTHON
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:52 am

Post by Plotinus »

YES :D

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:53 am

Post by Plotinus »

my first thought was to write something that recursively substitutes '()' for '' until there's nothing left to be found and then checks the length of the string but then i though "....no" and did the smart and lazy thing.

Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:56 am

Post by Psyche »

i used a for loop with a nested if/else
unless count runs in less than linear time i think it might have taken half as much time to run as yours
but it didnt fit in one line
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:16 am

Post by Plotinus »

The answer to my appeared as soon as I hit enter so it was fast enough for me.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”