Chip Butty
Mafia Scum
Chip Butty
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #650 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:51 am

Post by Chip Butty »

In post 630, House wrote:
Makes me less likely to believe she's as good as she thinks she is. mastin and Wisdom both use their experience or knowledge of others from other games to read players.

So Ranger, why are you such a threat to scum if you have no interest in a player's overall playstyle and habits?
Please explain how all this focus on Ranger's purported abilities is helping find scum.
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #651 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:52 am

Post by LicketyQuickety »

In post 648, JaeReed wrote:
In post 641, LicketyQuickety wrote:
In post 161, Chip Butty wrote:
In post 158, House wrote:
In post 157, Chip Butty wrote:
In post 132, House wrote:
In post 130, JaeReed wrote:VOTE: LQ

@Bella the exchange between House and Lickety last page... Scum theatre? By which I mean do you think they could be of the same faction?
Why do you suspect we'd be scum of the same faction, specifically? Is it because neither one of us share your scum PT?
This worries me a bit. Obviously, only scum from the same faction could stage theater, since scum from different factions would be unknown to each other at this point. Sketchy attempt to throw shade on Jae?
Obviously I couldn't stage theatre with anyone even if I
were
scum, considering I replaced in after the game started.

So yes, I'm throwing Jae's accusation back in their face because it was a stupid premise.
I think Jae has the right answer to this: It's not rocket science to follow a scum partner's lead, even without daytalk. It's not a "stupid" premise, and your calling it such looks like an overreaction. Also, Jae is right to point out that you seemed quick to jump onto his question to Bella to hose this down.

For the sake of argument, let's say that scum CAN stage conversations even without Daytalk. This brings us back to your question about why Jae assumed staging to be between scum of the same faction. If staging IS possible, it is obvious it can only be between scum of the same faction, right?

@Jae: Curious - why did you ask the question about LQ's exchange with House on that page, but not his earlier exchange on the same page with the "other House", aka Kuroi?
Scum theatre is a little more complicated than this. In this game there is only one goon per Scum faction so Scum have to be careful not to over expose themselves as PR. If Scum are to do Scum theatre its going to have to have some kind of structure to it so that things don't go awry. I expect Scum theatre in this game considering there is a GF and Alpha, however.
Why does a GF and Alpha mean scum theatre is more likely?

I mean Chip summed up a lot of my thoughts surrounding the scum theatre talk and I'm thinking he's town for it. It could be buddying but I doubt it'd be that close and unprompted. Plus I'm hardly an ideal person to buddy. I'd imagine scum would want to buddy either someone dangerous to them or someone widely townread.

Regardless, I don't get how more complicated scum theatre can be. It's staged to look like you're not partners, and so long as your partner isn't a complete newb and catches on to what you're doing I can't see a need to have pre planned?
Let me put it to you this way: What makes GF and ALPHA a powerful role? You know this I know you do, your just not getting it because its me saying it. Basically the dynamic with GF is different because they can be way more lenient with their Town reads on their buddies. So really GF has the option of either buddying up to people and hinting like they want a check on them, and/or they can give all their Scum buddies big Townie points if they thing they will make it far into the game (through getting a check on them) and they can engage in dialog almost openly with their Scum buddies itt because once they get checked people will be none the wise. So basically there is not as much reason to distance if you are GF. But GF can play a lot of different ways depending on the team - its a very flexible role. As Town what we want to do is just like any other game which is my biggest tell for catching Scum which I wont say cuz I don't want to give too much away.
I was anything worse than you! Anything worse than you was I!

You was doided teh aposit_tisopa het dedoid saw em.
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #652 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:55 am

In post 647, JaeReed wrote:
In post 640, LicketyQuickety wrote: I can tell you right now I have more experience than you do playing this game. Mafia is about learning how YOU play, not something that you can just get good at by reading about it. So while you can learn how to play by reading the wiki, you are never going to be a top tier player playing based on what is on the wiki. You can get pretty good, granted you can execute, but the top tier players are the ones who are writing those articles on optimal play. How much more do you think they know that they don't bother to make into an article?

I'll be the first to admit I am a lazy player, and its my downfall because I make mistakes that are so obvious, but when I am paying attention I am actually pretty dangerous to Scum.

I should also drop this now rather than later but I've seen a lot of different looks and different playstyles. Doesn't make me good at the game, but it tells that I have experience. I am basically a donkey - and experienced player who isn't very good. Another way of putting it is that I would be like your pro football player who has been in the game a while but is just not top tier material.
I know you do. Most people have more experience than me. That's a part of what makes playing in opens particularly hard for me.

I'm still trying to learn how to play. This is my first multiball for example. I've read them but never played them. The only way I'm going to figure shit out is by playing. I do my research then I try it out.

I apparently always play terribly either A) in opens, or B) in games with Ranger.

I appreciate the advice. I am trying. It's frustrating that in my newbies I never got a non scrum IC. Out of 3 games. One game I was dubbed obvtown and I don't even really know why aside from some kind of expectation of posting activity which I'm thinking was bs because it came from scum IC.

I shouldn't even be posting right now tbh since I'm drunk and ppl bitch about drunk posters.
To sum this up, I am not a role model on how to play.. I have funky reasoning that no one gets, I don't play by the book and I miss a lot of really obvious stuff that causes a lot of heat on me.

House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #653 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:56 am

Post by House »

In post 650, Chip Butty wrote:
Makes me less likely to believe she's as good as she thinks she is. mastin and Wisdom both use their experience or knowledge of others from other games to read players.

So Ranger, why are you such a threat to scum if you have no interest in a player's overall playstyle a
nd habits?
Please explain how all this focus on Ranger's purported abilities is helping find scum.
Ask Jae, King of Confbias.
The apology that resulted in my indefinite ban:

https://tinyimg.io/i/ZX5Yjhw.png
House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #654 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:59 am

Post by House »

In post 653, House wrote:

So Ranger, why are you such a threat to scum if you have no interest in a player's overall playstyle a
nd habits?
I mean seriously... it's not like I dredged Ranger up out of the blue over and over.

I was answering fucking questions, you assclown.

JaeReed
JaeReed
Jack of All Trades
JaeReed
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #655 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:15 am

Post by JaeReed »

In post 653, House wrote:

nd habits?
Chip summed up my thoughts again here actually. This conversation is going nowhere.

Mastin is a different person to Ranger and that's all that I really feel you've proved. Which I could have told you from a glance at Ranger's posts when I first joined the site.

I'm not saying Ranger is town. I'm saying I don't care about her alignment. There's a big difference there. She'll either die by night kill or be burden of proficiency lynched. Either way, I know she buddied me and don't care. I don't think it matters.

I don't think her play is particularly town!Ranger but eh. She's Ranger. She made a good point that it's multiball. I don't think town need to sort her. If she's scum then she seems to have hinted that she's not being protected tonight. She stopped cozying up to me the moment I said I'd be happiest if she flipped town. I think she's feeling guilty knowing that she won't. Does it matter? Nah, scum will flip her. Or d3 she'll get lynched basically off policy.

That or I got too far into creepy fan territory on her :p that's a possibility.
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #656 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:32 am

Post by Bellaphant »

Ok jae, more like that and I'll be able to read you.

LQ, I didn't mind your initial scum list (house and jae might be town, pista prolly isn't, charl prolly isn't) I'm curious as to why you moved your vote to smithereens? I'm pretty sure they are town and their preceding post wasn't anything scummy?
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #657 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:34 am

In post 656, Bellaphant wrote:Ok jae, more like that and I'll be able to read you.

LQ, I didn't mind your initial scum list (house and jae might be town, pista prolly isn't, charl prolly isn't) I'm curious as to why you moved your vote to smithereens? I'm pretty sure they are town and their preceding post wasn't anything scummy?
My vote on Smith has to do with my reread.

House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #658 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:49 am

Post by House »

In post 656, Bellaphant wrote:(house and jae might be town
You've been town leaning me for a long time, but I don't recall you ever saying why.

Enlighten me?

House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #659 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:51 am

Post by House »

In post 77, Bellaphant wrote:
In post 70, House wrote:
In post 62, pistachi0n wrote:VOTE: chip butty
Which of his two posts read scummy to you and why?
ironically, this. it seems detail orientated in a way that is a pointless thing for scum to poke at right now.
I mean, I remember this post and all, but is this all there is to it?

LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #660 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:52 am

In post 658, House wrote:
You've been town leaning me for a long time, but I don't recall you ever saying why.

Enlighten me?
You are you always around when I am around?

Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #661 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:12 am

Post by Bellaphant »

@house, interactions with hippy, the fake hammer thing (tbf I don't see it much: bbt does it some as town), prodding at pista, response to pressure over the setup thing.

@lq...that's super unhelpful. Try again? :P
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #662 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:23 am

In post 661, Bellaphant wrote:@house, interactions with hippy, the fake hammer thing (tbf I don't see it much: bbt does it some as town), prodding at pista, response to pressure over the setup thing.

@lq...that's super unhelpful. Try again? :P
In short, Smith is White knighting me.

House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #663 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:34 am

Post by House »

In post 660, LicketyQuickety wrote:

Enlighten me?
What is this about?

LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #664 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:02 am

In post 663, House wrote:

Enlighten me?
What is this about?
you have made a post directly after me many times in this game. I can't help but feel you may be doing this on purpose. Why would you do that?

Chip Butty
Chip Butty
Mafia Scum
Chip Butty
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #665 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:35 am

Post by Chip Butty »

In post 641, LicketyQuickety wrote: Scum theatre is a little more complicated than this. In this game there is only one goon per Scum faction so Scum have to be careful not to over expose themselves as PR. If Scum are to do Scum theatre its going to have to have some kind of structure to it so that things don't go awry. I expect Scum theatre in this game considering there is a GF and Alpha, however.
In post 651, LicketyQuickety wrote: Let me put it to you this way: What makes GF and ALPHA a powerful role? You know this I know you do, your just not getting it because its me saying it. Basically the dynamic with GF is different because they can be way more lenient with their Town reads on their buddies. So really GF has the option of either buddying up to people and hinting like they want a check on them, and/or they can give all their Scum buddies big Townie points if they thing they will make it far into the game (through getting a check on them) and they can engage in dialog almost openly with their Scum buddies itt because once they get checked people will be none the wise. So basically there is not as much reason to distance if you are GF. But GF can play a lot of different ways depending on the team - its a very flexible role. As Town what we want to do is just like any other game which is my biggest tell for catching Scum which I wont say cuz I don't want to give too much away.
See, it's the kind of stuff you have pointed out here that helps makes it really hard for me to believe House has this policy of just scrolling down through the setup info, as he claims. Setup info can be IMPORTANT for how you play the game - in this game, as you point out, awareness of GF/Alpha is important for example, because we know not to trust greenchecks 100% Also the implications for scum theater you mention in #641.
Chip Butty
Chip Butty
Mafia Scum
Chip Butty
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #666 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:38 am

Post by Chip Butty »

@LQ: BTW, it is interesting that you in particular have this acute awareness of the implications of the setup for scum theater. Opposite scum faction to House, perhaps?
Chip Butty
Chip Butty
Mafia Scum
Chip Butty
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #667 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:39 am

Post by Chip Butty »

Staging as same faction, or a real dispute as opposite faction?
Almost50
Almost50
Monkey Business
Almost50
Monkey Business
Monkey Business

Post Post #668 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:42 am

Post by Almost50 »

In post 623, Charloux wrote:@Almost: Is your first priority in the game to have fun or to win?
As simple as it may look, that's a tough one, tbh. I do hate to lose alright, but if I'm not having fun what IS the point of playing the game in the first place?

OK, let me try to take a peek into my own mind: I start the game with a -somewhat- humorous/sarcastic approach, then when things start to shape up i get a little bit more serious. I do aim to win, but I sometimes wait for that magical moment where I get a revelation out of thin air and follow it.

I don't think I making much sense with this answer either, but it's as an honest response as I could give one.

Modded 2 Opens & 2 Large Themed games successfully.
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #669 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:44 am

In post 668, Almost50 wrote:
In post 623, Charloux wrote:@Almost: Is your first priority in the game to have fun or to win?
As simple as it may look, that's a tough one, tbh. I do hate to lose alright, but if I'm not having fun what IS the point of playing the game in the first place?

OK, let me try to take a peek into my own mind: I start the game with a -somewhat- humorous/sarcastic approach, then when things start to shape up i get a little bit more serious. I do aim to win, but I sometimes wait for that magical moment where I get a revelation out of thin air and follow it.

I don't think I making much sense with this answer either, but it's as an honest response as I could give one.
You should really interact with me sometime.

Chip Butty
Chip Butty
Mafia Scum
Chip Butty
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #670 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:46 am

Post by Chip Butty »

In post 585, House wrote:
In post 567, House wrote: Verbose posts just make me autoscroll regardless of who wrote them, because the rules for mafia games outside of those with specialized mechanics are Xeroxed from thread to thread.
This doesn't make sense, because the point about the rules being Xeroxed doesn't explain why you would autoscoll past ALL verbose posts regardless who wrote them, only the setup posts. Also, I still don't get why you wouldn't want to be aware of the roles in play.
Charloux
Charloux
Mafia Scum
Charloux
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #671 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:50 am

Post by Charloux »

In post 668, Almost50 wrote:

Actually i think i understand this. It's something like you play for fun and winning just comes along the way; But you are overwhelmed right now because too many people are alive right now. Am i close?
If you said that you play to win no fun included, then i would've scumread you :P
Almost50
Almost50
Monkey Business
Almost50
Monkey Business
Monkey Business

Post Post #672 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:53 am

Post by Almost50 »

In post 642, DixC wrote:I don't know what scum theater is; but I know what indirectly begging
the seer
to check you looks like.
Such "specific" wording always gets to me. Why the Seer in specific and not the Cop? Why do you think they have a higher chance of being a Wolf rather than Mafia?

Modded 2 Opens & 2 Large Themed games successfully.
House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #673 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:55 am

Post by House »

In post 664, LicketyQuickety wrote:
In post 663, House wrote:

Enlighten me?
What is this about?
you have made a post directly after me many times in this game. I can't help but feel you may be doing this on purpose. Why would you do that?
Clearly, I'm stalking you.

You should consider getting a restraining order.

Chip Butty
Chip Butty
Mafia Scum
Chip Butty
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #674 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:56 am

Post by Chip Butty »

In post 623, Charloux wrote: @Almost: Is your first priority in the game to have fun or to win?
That's an interesting question, coming from you. Here is a quote from Newbie 1704:
In post 925, Charloux wrote:I'm an idiot, just please don't lynch me :cry:
And i play for fun
, winning just comes on it's own.

Return to “Completed Open Games”