New York 196: My Game, My Flavor Mafia (Mafia Win)

Zachstralkita
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1325 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:37 am

Post by Zachstralkita »

Performer wrote:
In post 1322, Titus wrote:@Performer, How would you explain the near townslip deal?
??

Zach what's your read on imp? I'm kidding about him being a tr btw . :wink:
another prospective lynch
Zachstralkita
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1326 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:38 am

Post by Zachstralkita »

Hey, did you guys start a club without me? No fair.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #1327 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:43 am

Post by Varsoon »

In post 1316, Zachstralkita wrote:Because they claimed mason. It's a clusterfuck to get into when you start doubting the legitimacy of said claim, we can get into that another day.
The annoying thing is that I'm pretty much compelled to agree with you.
As little as I like Dunn AND Titus' play, the Mason claim ensures that the weaklings on this site would never lynch them without an equally strong role-claim contesting theirs. It's lame, but people like to play it painfully safe.
Performer
Performer
Mafia Scum
Performer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1328 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:44 am

Post by Performer »

In post 1327, Varsoon wrote:
In post 1316, Zachstralkita wrote:Because they claimed mason. It's a clusterfuck to get into when you start doubting the legitimacy of said claim, we can get into that another day.
As little as I like Dunn AND Titus' play, the Mason claim ensures that the weaklings on this site would never lynch them without an equally strong role-claim contesting theirs. It's lame, but people like to play it painfully safe.
It sounds like you're saying PRs aren't that important.?
I’m an informed Miller who knows there isn’t any Loyal modifiers and there is a total of 4 scum.
-Morality
I'm easily the best person in the game at mechanics. I don't presume to be the best at anything else.
-Jingle
People tried
-RadiantCowbells
Zachstralkita
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1329 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:44 am

Post by Zachstralkita »

In post 1327, Varsoon wrote:
I'm very sure we'll have plenty of opportunities to lynch them later, as much as they go on about how obvtown they are.
Performer
Performer
Mafia Scum
Performer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1330 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:53 am

Post by Performer »

Zach I still don't get why imp is scum though. Walk me through it.
I’m an informed Miller who knows there isn’t any Loyal modifiers and there is a total of 4 scum.
-Morality
I'm easily the best person in the game at mechanics. I don't presume to be the best at anything else.
-Jingle
People tried
-RadiantCowbells
Zachstralkita
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1331 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:54 am

Post by Zachstralkita »

In post 876, implosion wrote:Looking back I'm really not a fan of AGar's content post. He attacks Titus largely for pushing with empty reasoning, when he himself in his post gives very little reasoning for much of what he says (he cites posts 89, 367-368, 370-376, 387 and possibly more as bad or terrible or etc but gives no justification, as though those 10+ posts are self-evidently scummy [which they aren't]). In assessing Titus's , he immediately jumps to the worst possible interpretation:
AGar wrote:Are you really saying because you did something one time in a game when you were scum, that this means he's scum?
when it's fairly evident, I think, that Titus is simply saying that it
can
be scum and attacking it for reasons other than her having done it as scum once (calling it LAMIST) together with the fact that
Titus had already been pushing Zach
which pretty clearly indicates that Titus wasn't pushing Zach with the logic of "I did this once as scum therefore you're doing it as scum." This jumping to the worst possible interpretation of things, IMO, indicates a lack of intellectual honesty in evaluating information, which in turn indicates scum.

His 876 is the worst post ever and nothing he did after that managed to convince me otherwise.
Zachstralkita
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1332 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:55 am

Post by Zachstralkita »

I still don't get why I'm scum, was I never a townread of yours or did I happen to be scum simply because I " thought " you were scum?
Zachstralkita
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1333 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:55 am

Post by Zachstralkita »

For all the hype leading up to it, Dunnstral's "case" on Varsoon was utterly shit.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #1334 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:57 am

Post by Varsoon »

@Performer: PRs are important, but the site-meta trends to favoring mechanics far heavier than rhetoric, so much so that the rhetoric of the game often becomes superseded by the mechanics. Claiming masons only renders any sort of leverage to the slots because people think the mechanical advantage of (possible) masons is stronger than any rhetoric that could be thrown down. Even if they are lying about being masons, the fear that we'd lose such a mechanical advantage keeps players from voting there, even when the claimed masons are bringing garbage to the table, rhetorically.

Ultimately, it's weak play. Players should be judged first and foremost for what they bring to the table for town. Dunnstral and Titus have given this town nothing. The Masons claim was awkward and only came out after I suggested it, making me feel as though it was conjured after-the-fact rather than a genuine truth of the game.

If you allow players leverage based solely on the claimed mechanical efficiency of their roles, you will lose any well-built setup.

That isn't to say that mechanical efficiency allowing a player rhetorical leverage has no place in Mafia. If a player can prove their role, or if their claim holds up under rhetorical scrutiny, then, sure, it's all gravy. Even then, a well balanced setup punishes players for claiming outright and rewards players for playing smart with their roles.

I think we should lynch Dunnstral today. If Dunnstral flips as a Mason, we'll know Titus is cleared, which, sure, will inform the nightkill, but it gives us a confirmed town to work with unless scum want to waste a shot killing off already-useless-so-far Titus. On the flip side, if Dunnstral flips anything but Mason, we hit a jackpot.

Think of it this way. We're playing poker. Dunnstral and Titus just went all in on the first hand. Are you going to fold, or will you meet their gambit and call?
I, for one, am a gambling man. I know what I've got up my sleeves, and I'm confident they're bluffing.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #1335 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:57 am

Post by Varsoon »

In post 1333, Zachstralkita wrote:For all the hype leading up to it, Dunnstral's "case" on Varsoon was utterly shit.
Yeah, so let's lynch Dunnstral so we can be done with this day.
Zachstralkita
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1336 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:03 am

Post by Zachstralkita »

In post 1335, Varsoon wrote:
In post 1333, Zachstralkita wrote:For all the hype leading up to it, Dunnstral's "case" on Varsoon was utterly shit.
Yeah, so let's lynch Dunnstral so we can be done with this day.
Besides you and me who is ACTUALLY going to help that wagon get to L-0
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #1337 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:04 am

Post by Varsoon »

Well, no one, but that's because we haven't counter-claimed masons yet.
Performer
Performer
Mafia Scum
Performer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1338 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:04 am

Post by Performer »

@Zach I had you as null up until the Wake interaction, then I had you as an sr of mine , then you explained it, so I put you back as null.

I am having trouble separating personal from objective regarding a couple people in here, and I know that sounds like I should be imprisoned in FM and irl, but I frequently have a hard time understanding people scumreading certain folks. Anyway...going to read Varsoon's wall.
-Morality
-Jingle
People tried
-RadiantCowbells
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #1339 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:04 am

Post by Varsoon »

I actually think we could get a Dunnstral Wagon to lynch if we campaigned hard enough, though.
For real, for real.
Zachstralkita
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1340 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:05 am

Post by Zachstralkita »

In post 1337, Varsoon wrote:Well, no one, but that's because we haven't counter-claimed masons yet.

I think we can't sidestep this any further, mason buddy.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #1341 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:05 am

Post by Varsoon »

In post 1338, Performer wrote:...going to read Varsoon's wall.
Oh, please, if that's a wall, then I've built some truly monumental towers in my day.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #1342 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:06 am

Post by Varsoon »

In post 1340, Zachstralkita wrote:
In post 1337, Varsoon wrote:Well, no one, but that's because we haven't counter-claimed masons yet.

I was REALLY hoping we wouldn't have to out like this.
I crumbed it in my first post, too. :/
Lapsa
Lapsa
Mafia Scum
Lapsa
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1343 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:06 am

Post by Lapsa »

In post 1334, Varsoon wrote: I think we should lynch Dunnstral today. If Dunnstral flips as a Mason, we'll know Titus is cleared, which, sure, will inform the nightkill, but it gives us a confirmed town to work with unless scum want to waste a shot killing off already-useless-so-far Titus. On the flip side, if Dunnstral flips anything but Mason, we hit a jackpot.
^ i might actually be down for this
abcedminded
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #1344 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:08 am

Post by Varsoon »

In post 91, Varsoon wrote:I HAVEN'T READ ANYTHING.
WHAT'S UP MY N-WORDS?
DON'T WORRY, I'M TOWN
I'VE GOT YOUR BACK.
I've got your 'back' is the clue to look at things from back to front.
What's up my N-words is actually referencing Mason, because if read from back to front, it's Nosam.
Furthermore, in my last game as a Mason (Cohen Brothers Mafia), I was not town despite being in a Masonry.
That's why I said "Don't worry, I'm town" here.

Why would I make such a post without reading anything?
What point does it serve?
Purely role-crumbing.
Zachstralkita
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1345 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:08 am

Post by Zachstralkita »

In post 1342, Varsoon wrote:
In post 1340, Zachstralkita wrote:

I was REALLY hoping we wouldn't have to out like this.
I crumbed it in my first post, too. :/
I think the legitimacy of our out is overshadowed by the doubt of almost everyone in the game along with Titus and Dunnstral's competing c laim.

In any case, I'll take " Lynch Dunnstral " for 500.

VOTE: Dunnstral
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #1346 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:10 am

Post by Varsoon »

Lay the vote, then, Lapsa.
VOTE: Dunnstral
Zachstralkita
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1347 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:10 am

Post by Zachstralkita »

I was going to let Titus and Dunnstral have fun with it for a little, but now their fun is becoming too obstructive to handle.
Zachstralkita
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1348 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:14 am

Post by Zachstralkita »

I admit, Varsoon, I kinda botched our original " out Day 2 " setup.

All those false interactions I fostered with Titus to make her think I was useless.

God damn it.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1349 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:15 am

Post by implosion »

Varsoon wrote:@Performer: PRs are important, but the site-meta trends to favoring mechanics far heavier than rhetoric, so much so that the rhetoric of the game often becomes superseded by the mechanics. Claiming masons only renders any sort of leverage to the slots because people think the mechanical advantage of (possible) masons is stronger than any rhetoric that could be thrown down. Even if they are lying about being masons, the fear that we'd lose such a mechanical advantage keeps players from voting there, even when the claimed masons are bringing garbage to the table, rhetorically.
This is such a misrepresentation of why we shouldn't vote the masons.

-The odds of it being a scum gambit are so horrifically low. The risk/reward of claiming masons on d1 as scum is absolutely terrible.
-They are outed as power roles; they are, therefore, likely to be killed at night, meaning we don't have to try to sort them at all.
-If by some miracle they are scum, they will keep surviving nights and they will become more and more likely scum candidates as the days go by, allowing us much more confidence in sorting them later
-If we lynch other scum in that time, then the more scum we lynch, the more unlikely the masons are to be lying, making it easier to sort them later
-At massclaim, if there is a huge abundance of power being claimed, they also become easier to sort then

I'd like to note that by
far
the most important of these points is the first; the rest are just supplementary to it. There are so many reasons that claiming masons on day one has astronomically higher risk than reward for scum.

Return to “Completed Large Normal Games”