Newbie 1723 - Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:27 am

Post by Ircher »

Pre-Game VC #2 (For Reference Purposes Only)Worf (0) -
e_is_cool (0) -
Harry (0) -
Faalcon (0) -
Franky (0) -
Matchia (0) -
Snoe (0) -
Earth (3) - , ,
Nacho (1) -
Not Voting (5) - Worf, Harry, Faalcon, Matchia, Snoe

Lynch ThresholdInfinity! (For Now!)

DeadlinePre-game ends on July 1, 2016 9:30 AM or in (expired on 2016-07-01 09:30:00).

Mod NotesWe're still in pre-game, so votes aren't being officially counted yet!
Mod will be V/LA from 7/11 to 7/15 and 7/25 to 7/29.
Last edited by Ircher on Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
e_is_cool
e_is_cool
Townie
e_is_cool
Townie
Townie

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:02 am

Post by e_is_cool »

Oops I just noticed that I will be
V/LA from 6/30-7/3
. Hopefully I only get a prod or two and it doesn't affect the game too much. (I might still have internet access though.)
In post 24, Dirty Harry wrote:Nachomamma8.
Do you think there is a correlation between newb-scum voting for their scum partners?
Do you think there is a correlation between experienced scum not voting for their newb-scum partners?
Are you trying to figure out if you should vote for your mafia partner? Because that type of question is best answered after votecounts, not before. (No point in telling everyone all the scumtells if no one has done any of them.)
Franky
Franky
Goon
Franky
Goon
Goon

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:57 am

Post by Franky »

In post 26, e_is_cool wrote:Oops I just noticed that I will be
V/LA from 6/30-7/3
. Hopefully I only get a prod or two and it doesn't affect the game too much. (I might still have internet access though.)
Do you think there is a correlation between newb-scum voting for their scum partners?
Do you think there is a correlation between experienced scum not voting for their newb-scum partners?
Are you trying to figure out if you should vote for your mafia partner? Because that type of question is best answered after votecounts, not before. (No point in telling everyone all the scumtells if no one has done any of them.)
Are you sure no one has done any scum tell yet?
Dirty Harry
Dirty Harry
Townie
Dirty Harry
Townie
Townie

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:02 am

Post by Dirty Harry »

V/LA from 6/30-7/3
Days are 14 days long so I don't think it will be a problem.

That question was specifically for Nachomamma8.
I do not appreciate you jumping in to answer for him but I will address the points you have raised.

"Are you trying to figure out if you should vote for your mafia partner?"
No.
e_is_cool presents a reachy theory/conclusion that I am asking the IC's opinion on whether to vote for my supposed scum partner.
e_is_cool is unafraid to label my actions as scum-motivated.
Or is e_is_cool telling me that I am being anti-town?
I prefer this narrative (as opposed to the scum-e_is_cool overreacting and miss-representing my motivations with a reachy scum theory narrative).

"No point in telling everyone all the scumtells"
If what I write about site scum meta / mafia game theory effects scum's behaviour this game it is a productive interaction.

e_is_cool.
Do you think scum could take advantage of how everyone answers your "Any experience?" question?
thenewearth
thenewearth
Mafia Scum
thenewearth
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:11 am

Post by thenewearth »

RQS is scummier than RVS based on gut, experience, and other things

It looks town really but most of it that I encounter are from scum. 80% of it. Its a really easy LAMIST play.

So yeah.

UNVOTE:
VOTE: e_is_cool

FoS is overrated anyways
e_is_cool
e_is_cool
Townie
e_is_cool
Townie
Townie

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:05 am

Post by e_is_cool »

In post 29, thenewearth wrote:RQS is scummier than RVS based on gut, experience, and other things

It looks town really but most of it that I encounter are from scum. 80% of it. Its a really easy LAMIST play.

So yeah.

UNVOTE:

FoS is overrated anyways
OMGUS VOTE: thenewearth Oh wait.
I could link you to the website I play mafia games on, and you will see that starting RQS doesn't indicate town or scum.
Dirty Harry wrote:
V/LA from 6/30-7/3
Days are 14 days long so I don't think it will be a problem.

That question was specifically for Nachomamma8.
I do not appreciate you jumping in to answer for him but I will address the points you have raised.

"Are you trying to figure out if you should vote for your mafia partner?"
No.
e_is_cool presents a reachy theory/conclusion that I am asking the IC's opinion on whether to vote for my supposed scum partner.
e_is_cool is unafraid to label my actions as scum-motivated.
Or is e_is_cool telling me that I am being anti-town?
I prefer this narrative (as opposed to the scum-e_is_cool overreacting and miss-representing my motivations with a reachy scum theory narrative).

"No point in telling everyone all the scumtells"
If what I write about site scum meta / mafia game theory effects scum's behaviour this game it is a productive interaction.

e_is_cool.
Do you think scum could take advantage of how everyone answers your "Any experience?" question?
First, I did not answer your question. You don't tell people "Doing [thing] is scummy" until people actually do it. That makes scum aware of that scumtell and removes the possibility of the scumtell being used (to catch scum) in this game. I don't really see how experience would matter that much, as everyone already knows who the SE's and IC's are.
Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:51 am

Post by Nachomamma8 »

In post 22, e_is_cool wrote:RQS (is there one of those on this forum?)
I don't think that RQS is productive to finding scum.
All questions in RQS will produce what ends up being almost completely non-alignment relevant answers; it can occasionally be useful for profiling players, but generally you'll get a better idea of what kind of player someone is by playing with them for a short amount of time. Mafiascum as a whole is pretty opposed to RQS.
In post 23, Dirty Harry wrote:Pro-active intro.
e_is_cool wants to get to know the player list, their disposition and experience.
This seems like a generally positive response to the RQS; why didn't you answer e's questions if you thought what he was doing was a good thing?
Yes to both of these; although I think how willing a player is to vote their scumpartner depends very very heavily on their disposition as opposed to their experience, I have thoughts on both of these.

I think that newb-scum tend to defend their scum partners too hard or they tend to vote them too early. This is based on mistakes in two different directions; I think that they defend their scumpartners too hard because they're afraid to lose them, and I think they vote them too early if they think they look scummier than they do. An average new scum player is probably less likely to vote their scumpartner than most.

I think that experienced scum rarely vote for their newb-scum partners; as scum IC, I try to give my scumpartner every opportunity to post and be townread and survive, and if possible, I'll be the one to be the sacrificial sheep and set them up for endgame, and I think that extends to most people who IC or SE seriously. That being said, if I my scumpartner is lurking or looks really scummy or we've talked about distancing in scum chat, then I'm more likely to place a distancing vote/bus.
"Playing with Nacho is like playing with a religious conservative." ~UncertainKitten

-- Fate, Vanilla Townie, was brutally stabbed by a throwing sword in endgame.
Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:09 pm

Post by Nachomamma8 »

In post 26, e_is_cool wrote:Are you trying to figure out if you should vote for your mafia partner? Because that type of question is best answered after votecounts, not before. (No point in telling everyone all the scumtells if no one has done any of them.)
There is not a list of scumtells that help you find mafia; generally, finding mafia is a large part dependent on context and intent. For example, in a general newbie game, me as scum voting for a player and legitimately pushing them for a lynch would be a decent sign of that player being town. However, in this particular game, I talked about my tendencies as scum early, which means that I'm more likely to go against them.
In post 27, Franky wrote:Are you sure no one has done any scum tell yet?
Do you think that you found something?
In post 28, Dirty Harry wrote:as opposed to the scum-e_is_cool overreacting and miss-representing my motivations with a reachy scum theory narrative
I don't think e misrepresented your motivations; it's more likely that he came up with a theory that isn't very likely to be correct.
In post 29, thenewearth wrote:It looks town really but most of it that I encounter are from scum. 80% of it. Its a really easy LAMIST play.
What does LAMIST mean?
I don't think that e's RQS looks particularly scum-motivated, but I'm also not sure why you think that it looks really town.
"Playing with Nacho is like playing with a religious conservative." ~UncertainKitten

-- Fate, Vanilla Townie, was brutally stabbed by a throwing sword in endgame.
Franky
Franky
Goon
Franky
Goon
Goon

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:36 pm

Post by Franky »

In post 32, Nachomamma8 wrote:
In post 27, Franky wrote:Are you sure no one has done any scum tell yet?
Do you think that you found something?
Nah, I'm just not sure why he would go out of his way to suggest Harry couldn't have. Figured I would try to find out.
e_is_cool
e_is_cool
Townie
e_is_cool
Townie
Townie

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:54 pm

Post by e_is_cool »

In post 31, Nachomamma8 wrote:
In post 22, e_is_cool wrote:RQS (is there one of those on this forum?)
I don't think that RQS is productive to finding scum.
All questions in RQS will produce what ends up being almost completely non-alignment relevant answers; it can occasionally be useful for profiling players, but generally you'll get a better idea of what kind of player someone is by playing with them for a short amount of time. Mafiascum as a whole is pretty opposed to RQS
Okay, I'll try not to do that next game I'm in. (I figured that RVS and RQS are basically the same thing, just a bit of randomness at the beginning of the game.)
Nachomamma8 wrote: There is not a list of scumtells that help you find mafia; generally, finding mafia is a large part dependent on context and intent. For example, in a general newbie game, me as scum voting for a player and legitimately pushing them for a lynch would be a decent sign of that player being town. However, in this particular game, I talked about my tendencies as scum early, which means that I'm more likely to go against them.
However, because you said you're more likely to go against them, you're more likely to go with them. In one word, WIFOM.

Actually, my V/LA is
Sunday-Thursday
. (Whatever those days are.)
thenewearth
thenewearth
Mafia Scum
thenewearth
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:53 pm

Post by thenewearth »

In post 32, Nachomamma8 wrote:What does LAMIST mean?
I don't think that e's RQS looks particularly scum-motivated, but I'm also not sure why you think that it looks really town.
"Look at me I'm so Town"

Long story short, it basically means someone who's trying to look town so much. RQS is an example.
Faalcon
Faalcon
Townie
Faalcon
Townie
Townie

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:44 am

Post by Faalcon »

Hi guys, I'm quite new to this game.
That RQS thing looks pretty useless to me.
The mafia will lie, so two out of three questions are worthless, and the last one isn'exactly nice either.
Dirty Harry
Dirty Harry
Townie
Dirty Harry
Townie
Townie

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:44 am

Post by Dirty Harry »

Ircher.

Where are we with the confirms?
Will we have 9 players to begin on time?
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:53 am

Post by Ircher »

If you've confirmed (Correctly), there will be a + next to your name in the playerlist spoiler in the initial post.

Those who haven't confirmed yet have exactly 30 minutes to confirm before I replace them.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:43 am

Post by Ircher »

ErrantParabola (SE) replaces snoe (SE).
BlizzardMist (hopefully!) replaces Worf.
Seeking replacement for matchia.
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:09 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

Hi. I normally don't play in newbie games, it's kind of an odd series of events that caused me to end up here.
its my first newbie game ever since my first game on site, actually.

townreading e. i think i know where you're from, too.

VOTE: thenewearth
In post 30, e_is_cool wrote:I could link you to the website I play mafia games on, and you will see that starting RQS doesn't indicate town or scum.
this doesn't factor into your read, tne? you posted after he said this without acknowledging it.
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:58 pm

Post by Ircher »

Pre-Game VC #2 (For Reference Purposes Only)Blizzard (0) -
e_is_cool (1) -
Harry (0) -
Faalcon (0) -
Franky (0) -
Matchia (0) -
Parabola (0) -
Earth (4) - , , ,
Nacho (0) -
Not Voting (4) - Blizzard, Harry, Faalcon, Matchia

Lynch ThresholdInfinity! (For Now!)

DeadlinePre-game ends on July 1, 2016 9:30 AM or in (expired on 2016-07-01 09:30:00).

Mod NotesWe're still in pre-game, so votes aren't being officially counted yet!
Mod will be V/LA from 7/11 to 7/15 and 7/25 to 7/29.
e_is_cool will be V/LA from July 3 to July 7.
Last edited by Ircher on Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:14 am, edited 4 times in total.
thenewearth
thenewearth
Mafia Scum
thenewearth
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:22 pm

Post by thenewearth »

Page 2 L-1

lul
thenewearth
thenewearth
Mafia Scum
thenewearth
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:25 pm

Post by thenewearth »

@Mod
Im seeing myself having double votes

Fixed
~Ircher
thenewearth
thenewearth
Mafia Scum
thenewearth
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:27 pm

Post by thenewearth »

Also about the L-1

2 people are sheeping

Why is that? Oh right because "RQS is town you're scum because you dont agree with e"

Double lul. I swear one of them is scum along with e
Franky
Franky
Goon
Franky
Goon
Goon

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:21 pm

Post by Franky »

Does Rqs have to be either town or scum?
Dirty Harry
Dirty Harry
Townie
Dirty Harry
Townie
Townie

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:05 am

Post by Dirty Harry »

In post 29, thenewearth wrote:It looks town really but most of it that I encounter are from scum. 80% of it. Its a really easy LAMIST play.
80%?
Those are the bests odds you're going to get all of Day 1.
In post 31, Nachomamma8 wrote:This seems like a generally positive response to the RQS; why didn't you answer e's questions if you thought what he was doing was a good thing?
I liked the motivation of e_is_cool initiating RQS as a new player.
I will not be taking part though, the same way I sometimes do not choose to take part in RVS.
It depends on the opening vibe of the first few pages.
In post 31, Nachomamma8 wrote:Yes to both of these; although I think how willing a player is to vote their scumpartner depends very very heavily on their disposition as opposed to their experience, I have thoughts on both of these.

I think that newb-scum tend to defend their scum partners too hard or they tend to vote them too early. This is based on mistakes in two different directions; I think that they defend their scumpartners too hard because they're afraid to lose them, and I think they vote them too early if they think they look scummier than they do. An average new scum player is probably less likely to vote their scumpartner than most.

I think that experienced scum rarely vote for their newb-scum partners; as scum IC, I try to give my scumpartner every opportunity to post and be townread and survive, and if possible, I'll be the one to be the sacrificial sheep and set them up for endgame, and I think that extends to most people who IC or SE seriously. That being said, if I my scumpartner is lurking or looks really scummy or we've talked about distancing in scum chat, then I'm more likely to place a distancing vote/bus.
Thanks.
In post 44, thenewearth wrote:Also about the L-1

2 people are sheeping

Why is that? Oh right because "RQS is town you're scum because you dont agree with e"

Double lul. I swear one of them is scum along with e
Strong OMGUS vibe evident here.

Game solved on page 2?
Do you believe the mafia team have piled onto your wagon in pre-game to force L-1?
Do you think the sheeping is scum-indicative based on where we are?
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:10 am

Post by Ircher »

Day 1 Begins!

Day 1 VC #0Blizzard (0) -
e_is_cool (0) -
Harry (0) -
Faalcon (0) -
Franky (0) -
Matchia (0) -
Parabola (0) -
Earth (0) -
Nacho (0) -
Not Voting (9) - Blizzard, Harry, Faalcon, Matchia, Earth, Nacho, Franky, e_is_cool, Parabola

Lynch ThresholdWith 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch!

DeadlineDay 1 ends on July 16, 2016 11:30 AM EST DST+1 or in (expired on 2016-07-16 11:30:00).

Mod NotesMod will be V/LA from 7/11 to 7/15 and 7/25 to 7/29.
e_is_cool V/LA from 7/3 to 7/7
thenewearth
thenewearth
Mafia Scum
thenewearth
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:17 am

Post by thenewearth »

This is... the fuck?

Never backing down on my word
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:04 am

Post by Ircher »

Storma (hopefully) replaces matchia!

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”