Newbie 1728: Training Your Dragon Mafia [Game Over]

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
PhantomCobalt
PhantomCobalt
Mafia Scum
PhantomCobalt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #525 (ISO) » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:36 am

Post by PhantomCobalt »

I don't know why we're arguing about this. People voting someone believe that there's a 50 < chance that they're scum, unless they're scum.
Speed don't lie.
CC
reso
reso
Goon
reso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #526 (ISO) » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:39 am

Post by reso »

In post 495, Maverick1102 wrote:I'll shorten Reso's argument for you all:

I don't like Ox40 tunnelling on people who I thought at that point were town, but I'd be more than happy if they were to tunnel on my scumread. I'm strong in how I approach my case about my scumread, I push hard and apparently I'm unco-operative with town? I hardly agree.

But the reasoning behind the quote is such a bad misrepresentation. The point was that Cobalt had no conviction in his vote, and worried that he'd be accused of scumhood for allowing a quickhammer to happen (townpoints for IV for this btw) quickly backtracked to look like he'd valiantly tried to save the day. That they settled on the same rule that I did is a moot point, I was simply recalling the events for people. (You know, that whole co-operating with town thing).

That is such a forced vote and the fact that you give yourself a disclaimer at the start of that 'this isn't a scum list' reeks.

Genuinely considering changing my vote.
That post was made with reference to my previous analysis of you, my #457, which you said that you would read if you have the time. I can understand your perspective, but only if you've read my previous post and not my #457 as well. Deal with the wall of text, you lazy bum.
In post 499, 0x40 wrote:
In post 494, reso wrote:Also..... could you explain to me how exactly you are putting on a quantitative quality on how certain you are that someone is going to turn up scum or town? Because that is incredibly beyond me.
It's simple. I know that I'm town, and there are 8 other players, which means that from my point of view, there has to be 2 scum among those 8 players.
Probability of any of those players being scum = 8 / 2 = 0.25, or 25%. When someone does something scummy/towny, it increases the probability of that person being scum/town by an amount based mostly on statistics and educated guesses, and slightly decreases everyone else's probability of being scum/town because that's how math and probability works. I think giving actual numbers, even if they are far from perfectly accurate, is much better than being needlessly vague with wording like "likely scum," "very likely scum," or "somewhat likely scum." For example, when Marverick1102 said that he'd be surprised if PhantomCobalt flipped town, does that mean he thinks it's about 20% likely he'll flip town, or 1% likely he'll flip town? His wording could easily be stretched to mean either, but one of those numbers is twenty times larger than the other.
In post 446, 0x40 wrote:Alright, I'm gonna hammer PhantomCobalt unless there are any objections. Also, before I do, I would like to hear from everyone what they think the percentage probability of PhantomCobalt flipping scum after being lynched.
As for me, I'm about 40% sure he'll flip scum.
From where exactly do you pull the number 40% then?
0x40
0x40
Goon
0x40
Goon
Goon

Post Post #527 (ISO) » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:40 am

Post by 0x40 »

In post 523, RyanK wrote:
In post 522, 0x40 wrote:
In post 518, RyanK wrote:There is also another way to see it: there are two alignments, the town and mafia, so the chances are 50%.
This is not at all a proper way of seeing things. Just because there are 2 possibilities doesn't mean it's a 50/50 chance.
Why not?
Dalek: Explaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaain.
By your own logic, just because 9/11 either was or was not an inside job, it's a 50/50 chance that it was/wasn't. Can't you see how ridiculous that is? The probability of someone being scum in a group of 8 players where 2 are scum is 2/8, 0.25, or 25%. This is basic math.
PhantomCobalt
PhantomCobalt
Mafia Scum
PhantomCobalt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #528 (ISO) » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:41 am

Post by PhantomCobalt »

9 players*
Speed don't lie.
CC
0x40
0x40
Goon
0x40
Goon
Goon

Post Post #529 (ISO) » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:43 am

Post by 0x40 »

In post 526, reso wrote: From where exactly do you pull the number 40% then?
25%: the probability of him being scum at the start of the game.
~40%: the probability of him being scum after taking into account my reads on everyone.
0x40
0x40
Goon
0x40
Goon
Goon

Post Post #530 (ISO) » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:44 am

Post by 0x40 »

In post 528, PhantomCobalt wrote:9 players*
8. It's a 9 player game, and from my point of view I know that I'm not scum, so 2 in 8.
RyanK
RyanK
Goon
RyanK
Goon
Goon

Post Post #531 (ISO) » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:45 am

Post by RyanK »

In post 527, 0x40 wrote:
In post 523, RyanK wrote:
In post 522, 0x40 wrote:
In post 518, RyanK wrote:There is also another way to see it: there are two alignments, the town and mafia, so the chances are 50%.
This is not at all a proper way of seeing things. Just because there are 2 possibilities doesn't mean it's a 50/50 chance.
Why not?
Dalek: Explaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaain.
By your own logic, just because 9/11 either was or was not an inside job, it's a 50/50 chance that it was/wasn't. Can't you see how ridiculous that is? The probability of someone being scum in a group of 8 players where 2 are scum is 2/8, 0.25, or 25%. This is basic math.
It's even more illogical by yours. There are lesser "inside" people than "outside people, so the chance that 9/11 was an inside job is "inside"/"outside"=>50%
PhantomCobalt
PhantomCobalt
Mafia Scum
PhantomCobalt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #532 (ISO) » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:48 am

Post by PhantomCobalt »

Argghhh

Let's say you have 100 marbles in a bag, 99 red, and 1 blue. There are two possibilities, a red or a blue. However, if you reach into the bag and grab one out, it's 99 out of 100 times red.
Speed don't lie.
CC
reso
reso
Goon
reso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #533 (ISO) » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:48 am

Post by reso »

It's pretty close to the end of Day 1, and I know I initially brought it up, BUT ARE YOU GUYS SERIOUSLY GOING TO SPEND TIME TALKING ABOUT THE SEMANTICS OF NUMBER PERCENTAGES AND THE FEELING OF USING WORDS???
RyanK
RyanK
Goon
RyanK
Goon
Goon

Post Post #534 (ISO) » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:50 am

Post by RyanK »

In post 533, reso wrote:It's pretty close to the end of Day 1, and I know I initially brought it up, BUT ARE YOU GUYS SERIOUSLY GOING TO SPEND TIME TALKING ABOUT THE SEMANTICS OF NUMBER PERCENTAGES AND THE FEELING OF USING WORDS???
I don't think we should, but it does feel like a school debate, and debates are interesting.
RyanK
RyanK
Goon
RyanK
Goon
Goon

Post Post #535 (ISO) » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:51 am

Post by RyanK »

In post 534, RyanK wrote:
In post 533, reso wrote:It's pretty close to the end of Day 1, and I know I initially brought it up, BUT ARE YOU GUYS SERIOUSLY GOING TO SPEND TIME TALKING ABOUT THE SEMANTICS OF NUMBER PERCENTAGES AND THE FEELING OF USING WORDS???
I don't think we should, but it does feel like a school debate, and debates are interesting.
Yes, but it's not at all beneficial for the town.
0x40
0x40
Goon
0x40
Goon
Goon

Post Post #536 (ISO) » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:51 am

Post by 0x40 »

In post 532, PhantomCobalt wrote:Argghhh

Let's say you have 100 marbles in a bag, 99 red, and 1 blue. There are two possibilities, a red or a blue. However, if you reach into the bag and grab one out, it's 99 out of 100 times red.
That's exactly what I've been saying. If you put 8 players in a bag, 2 of them are scum, then pull one out of the bag to lynch them, the probability of them flipping scum is 25%, not 50%.
RyanK
RyanK
Goon
RyanK
Goon
Goon

Post Post #537 (ISO) » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:51 am

Post by RyanK »

In post 535, RyanK wrote:
In post 534, RyanK wrote:
Yes, but it's not at all beneficial for the town.
Agree with you, Ryan.
RyanK
RyanK
Goon
RyanK
Goon
Goon

Post Post #538 (ISO) » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:53 am

Post by RyanK »

In post 536, 0x40 wrote:

That's exactly what I've been saying. If you put 8 players in a bag, 2 of them are scum, then pull one out of the bag to lynch them, the probability of them flipping scum is 25%, not 50%.
Well, thanks for the example. It can be quite hard to understand that without an example that isn't easy to understand. However, this is where my mind keeps breaking down.

50% is if you're looking at the person individually.

25% is if you're looking at everyone else as a whole.

So, which one should it be???
0x40
0x40
Goon
0x40
Goon
Goon

Post Post #539 (ISO) » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:53 am

Post by 0x40 »

In post 535, RyanK wrote:Yes, but it's not at all beneficial for the town.
It doesn't really hurt town, either.

Does anyone have any better ideas on how to spend this last bit of time we have left on d1?
RyanK
RyanK
Goon
RyanK
Goon
Goon

Post Post #540 (ISO) » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:54 am

Post by RyanK »

In post 538, RyanK wrote:
In post 536, 0x40 wrote:

Well, thanks for the example. It can be quite hard to understand that without an example that isn't easy to understand. However, this is where my mind keeps breaking down.

50% is if you're looking at the person individually.

*So, which one should it be and why?
0x40
0x40
Goon
0x40
Goon
Goon

Post Post #541 (ISO) » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:55 am

Post by 0x40 »

In post 538, RyanK wrote:Well, thanks for the example. It can be quite hard to understand that without an example that isn't easy to understand. However, this is where my mind keeps breaking down.

50% is
if you're looking at the person individually.

Can you elaborate what you mean by the bolded part?
RyanK
RyanK
Goon
RyanK
Goon
Goon

Post Post #542 (ISO) » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:57 am

Post by RyanK »

In post 541, 0x40 wrote:
In post 538, RyanK wrote:Well, thanks for the example. It can be quite hard to understand that without an example that isn't easy to understand. However, this is where my mind keeps breaking down.

50% is
if you're looking at the person individually.

Can you elaborate what you mean by the bolded part?
It means only concentrating on that person without concentrating anywhere else.
PhantomCobalt
PhantomCobalt
Mafia Scum
PhantomCobalt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #543 (ISO) » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:58 am

Post by PhantomCobalt »

He's pretty much comparing part to part ratio and part to whole ratio.
Speed don't lie.
CC
RyanK
RyanK
Goon
RyanK
Goon
Goon

Post Post #544 (ISO) » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:58 am

Post by RyanK »

In post 539, 0x40 wrote:
In post 535, RyanK wrote:Yes, but it's not at all beneficial for the town.
It doesn't really hurt town, either.

Does anyone have any better ideas on how to spend this last bit of time we have left on d1?
Scumhunting, which is the reason why you brought this in, I guess.
RyanK
RyanK
Goon
RyanK
Goon
Goon

Post Post #545 (ISO) » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:03 am

Post by RyanK »

About the ratios, let me think about it offline, like while I go to sleep and after I wake up, I need some mental refreshment. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.
Vedith
Vedith
Survivor
Vedith
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #546 (ISO) » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:11 am

Post by Vedith »

In post 525, PhantomCobalt wrote:I don't know why we're arguing about this. People voting someone believe that there's a 50 < chance that they're scum, unless they're scum.
:up: :up:

Right, now you're here.
Talk to me about the following please. Give me the impression you have on them.

Reso
HipLop
X40

What's your opinion on ?

And what about HipLop showing doubt on the wagon without unvoting (this can be included in the above comments on him).
I claim scum \o/
PhantomCobalt
PhantomCobalt
Mafia Scum
PhantomCobalt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #547 (ISO) » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:22 am

Post by PhantomCobalt »

Reso town for good scumhunting
Hiplop probably town for halting the momentum on my wagon
0x40 Either town or newbscum

What about 497?
Speed don't lie.
CC
Vedith
Vedith
Survivor
Vedith
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #548 (ISO) » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:24 am

Post by Vedith »

Phantom?

If so, can you give examples, more details to these reads?

What's your opinion on your wagon slowing down and looking to be reviewed?
Why did you start posting again after this?

I'm not going to be on tonight (or maybe late).

My post is basically saying that Reso can't be scum if you're town, but can be scum if you're town. What's your view on it?
Last edited by Firebringer on Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I claim scum \o/
reso
reso
Goon
reso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #549 (ISO) » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:31 am

Post by reso »

In post 550, Vedith wrote:My post is basically saying that Reso can't be scum if you're town,
but can be scum if you're scum
. What's your view on it?
FTFY.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”