BattleCON G18 - KingdomAces (Joal) vs. Zorblag (Tatsumi)

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
KingdomAces
KingdomAces
Mafia Scum
KingdomAces
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:38 pm

Post by KingdomAces »

And I could swear I remember the post Beat 13 said that you had Shot on recharge instead of Grasp.

Soak
Never be sorry for your little time.

It's not when you get there, it's always the climb.
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:40 pm

Post by Zorblag »

Er, I probably did. I just fixed a mistake with that earlier today when I noticed that it was saying I couldn't use Empathic, but I was pretty sure I could (sadly I also thought that Juto wasn't on your space for most of the time I was thinking about it this weekend despite you correcting that earlier.) Sorry about that!

Pass.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
KingdomAces
KingdomAces
Mafia Scum
KingdomAces
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:41 pm

Post by KingdomAces »

Pass

KingdomAces
KingdomAces
Mafia Scum
KingdomAces
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:42 pm

Post by KingdomAces »

You have priority.

Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:44 pm

Post by Zorblag »

And that will let you dodge away no matter what I do. I'll retreat 2, though it doesn't matter. Dual Wield Dodge was the obvious move in my mind as I too forgot that you can't move past me with it. I thought I needed to clash that and then one more. Empathic Shot would have either clashed here or won had I gone with Priority, but I wasn't looking at Warded at all as the flexibility of Dual Wield was the way you get through this beat.

Congratulations! Nice comeback and very well played after those first three beats!

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:24 pm

Post by Zorblag »

In any case, I'm down for a rematch if you are. Just let me know if you want to stay with this match up!

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
KingdomAces
KingdomAces
Mafia Scum
KingdomAces
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:37 pm

Post by KingdomAces »

If I would be using Dual Wield Dodge, it would be with priority, so after a clash I could Grasp/Hand Cannon, and then I didn't actually check, but I assumed my extensive set of bases could have made me go first no matter how many times I had to clash. Whether or not that was actually right, I'm not as sure of anymore.

Once I realized that Dual Wield prevented me from covering everything, I changed it to something that I thought there was next to no way you would clash with, and I still think would dodge whatever you could do from there. I'm not sure if Dodge was written with incredibly slow Dodges that still go first due to Start of Beat in mind, but that in some ways makes it just as hard to clash with as Dash was. Speaking of Dash though, I do think Joal would prefer to have the movement actually directly before he gets to Dual Wield into an attack.

I didn't consider you Dodging on Beat 14, because I knew that the HP lead when I had access to both Dodge and Dual Wield would be near impossible to overcome, so much so that I thought I didn't even need to know where anyone one the board was before putting that down.

Good Game, and I'm just as surprised as you are that I managed to pull this out after the 5-20 deficit. The wiki said that Adjenna is good for come from behind victories, but after playing him it seems that Joal has just as much, if not more, potential for that. Slayer's is just way too good. There are very few characters that can nullify End of Beat things, and as I've learned from Lixis, having more bases than your opponent is a huge advantage. Joal can't even lose that advantage due to well timed Dodges, and getting the extra base doesn't actually cost a Beat, since Slayer's is a pretty good style even without the End of Beat. Dual Wield just makes him even more able to out "predict" the opponent. Dual Wield Dodge is so good already, but it would just be completely broken without the cross-up prevention.

Also, is my desire to explain everything I do annoying? I generally don't have much to talk about, so I can go overboard when I do actually have something to say.

I'm good for a rematch if you are. I brought it up early because I thought that the game was going to end without being able to get started, since I apparently flubbed the initial setup. I'm not as insistent as then, but I'm definitely not in a hurry to change characters either.

Also also, I only realized that you put a link to the battleguides in the OP every game recently. I did know they existed, but I personally prefer to try to figure out how the characters work myself, so I doubt I'll be watching them any time soon. Pointing this out in case you would want to stop bothering to put the link there, or in case you think I'm going to be trying to follow them in any way when predicting my moves.

Who says you need to be playing Mafia in order to wallpost? Yeah, this was probably overboard.

Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:47 pm

Post by Zorblag »

Slayer's is really pretty good. The range and the effects are very nice and I think it would still be good if you got the extra base and put it with the attack pair in discard 1 at the end of the beat; getting access to the base right away makes it great! Joal also clearly shines in end game, but Adjenna's styles just get better towards the end of the game as she hands out more of those petrification counters so although her options don't increase, they just mostly all get better. I don't know which one I'd rank as better.

I like seeing your thought process, so please keep putting them in! No annoyance from me at all!

I link both the battleguides and the wikia characters for anyone who happens to be looking. I didn't have you in mind in particular and I'm not expecting you to use the strategy there (most of which doesn't take force gauge and dodge into account anyhow,) but because I wanted everyone to be aware of the resources out there. I think that playing over the forum gives much more time to think things through, so having the big ideas there upfront is less necessary anyhow.

In any case, I'll set up a new game shortly!

-Zorblag R`Lyeh

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”