Identity

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
Realeo
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1075 (ISO) » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:50 pm

Post by Realeo »

In post 1074, StrangerCoug wrote:
Realeo, then
Correct.
"The debate on whether short multi postings or a long wall of post is good or not is like a debate on gun control--we would never understand each other and we have to make peace with it." -Realeo

I'm mabye a serious player, but I'm capable of joke. Ok?
KittyMo
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
Too Sparkly

Post Post #1076 (ISO) » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:42 pm

Post by KittyMo »

Indeed. Thanks strangers for revealing in my absence. :]

StrangersIdentities
CephrirConvinced an eight year old kid that they couldn't count higher than three
Haschel CedricsonFolded a paper crane smaller than 2cm x 2cm
MinaGot an A in a course after missing the final exam because they got the date wrong
NGrew up on the top of a literal mountain 30 minutes away from the nearest towns
pablitoHas six trophies from martial arts tournament events, none of which are first place
ViLikes to take pictures of people feeding giraffes

StrangersIdentities
KariOnce poured a bottle of ketchup on themselves and pretended to be a zombie for ketchup commercial contest
piegirlnOnce traveled two hours via various forms of public transportation in order to visit an arcade
Save the DragonsSwitched school districts 4 times because of moving to 3 states

Correct MatchesAmount Won
5$10,000
4$5,000
$2,000
$1,000
$500

Assistance
: 3 Questions
Alt of Ariel | MafiaScum wiki volunteer contributor & sysop | Identity (Mish Mash) is back | Speakeasy Secret Santa

"plz don't swear" -- N
"Do people just not appreciate the good old wall of text anymore?" -- Cheery Dog
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #1077 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:43 am

Post by Vi »

In post 1070, Kari wrote:
In post 0, KittyMo wrote:If a question is uncomfortable for a stranger to answer, a stranger may post (or PM the mod) some variation of "Decline to answer." The question will be refunded to the contestant.
Invoking the above.
Whether or not it's mine is up to you, as I would have done this regardless.
I object to this. Refusing to answer a question about your own identity should not be allowed.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Realeo
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1078 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:17 am

Post by Realeo »

In post 1077, Vi wrote:
In post 0, KittyMo wrote:If a question is uncomfortable for a stranger to answer, a stranger may post (or PM the mod) some variation of "Decline to answer." The question will be refunded to the contestant.
Invoking the above.
I object to this. Refusing to answer a question about your own identity should not be allowed.
This feature is once introduced when I asked about everyone's gender.
"The debate on whether short multi postings or a long wall of post is good or not is like a debate on gun control--we would never understand each other and we have to make peace with it." -Realeo

Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #1079 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:49 am

Post by Vi »

In post 1078, Realeo wrote:
In post 1077, Vi wrote:
Invoking the above.
...and the person whose identity you were asking about did indeed answer.

I'm saying that if you submit an identity, you should not be allowed to refuse questions about that identity. (Refusing questions about someone else's identity should be A-OK.)
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Realeo
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1080 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:58 am

Post by Realeo »

Ah I see. Ignore me.

Realeo
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1081 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:02 am

Post by Realeo »

I don't recall Identity being this hard. I remember that STD struggles really hard (because he played before me) but he sneaked out a $10,000. The fact that StrangerCoug is still stuck at $ 2,000 is flustering--even for an observer.

/in as contestant.

And Kitty MO. How do you host a game of identity for yourself?

Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #1082 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:22 am

Post by Vi »

In post 1081, Realeo wrote:I don't recall Identity being this hard. I remember that STD struggles really hard (because he played before me) but he sneaked out a $10,000. The fact that StrangerCoug is still stuck at $ 2,000 is flustering--even for an observer.
AFAICT the reason that people do well in Identity (aside from good use of lifelines) is that the Strangers aren't actually strangers. People like LLD and xofelf are into the 'scum social scene enough that there will probably be two or three people they can either pick out immediately or PoE really hard. I on the other hand am staying out of the contestant queue because I have a good idea of how badly I would fare.
And Kitty MO. How do you host a game of identity for yourself?
She was going to delegate responsibility to Coug for a game. Coug would presumably ask around for identities that weren't submitted to the 'Mo, and such.
StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1083 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:13 am

Post by StrangerCoug »

In post 1081, Realeo wrote:I don't recall Identity being this hard. I remember that STD struggles really hard (because he played before me) but he sneaked out a $10,000. The fact that StrangerCoug is still stuck at $ 2,000 is flustering--even for an observer.
Is for me, too. This is a fun game, but I'll probably take Vi's strategy and just be a stranger for future games.
STRANGERCOUG: Stranger Than You!

Current avatar by PurryFurry of FurAffinity.

What Were You Thinking XV! is in progress.
StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute

Post Post #1084 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:15 am

Post by StrangerCoug »

I am sorry, top group, but to maximize my chances of getting more money I'm going to have to try to finish off the bottom group.

piegirln and STD:
What was it like taking public transport for two hours just for that?

KittyMo
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
Too Sparkly

Post Post #1085 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:32 am

Post by KittyMo »

In post 1079, Vi wrote:
In post 1078, Realeo wrote:
In post 1077, Vi wrote:
Invoking the above.
...and the person whose identity you were asking about did indeed answer.

I'm saying that if you submit an identity, you should not be allowed to refuse questions about that identity. (Refusing questions about someone else's identity should be A-OK.)
I'll take it into consideration. I do generally expect that people won't submit things that they don't want to talk about and that's not really been an issue so far. However, there was a situation in this thread in which I would have been especially understanding if the person whose identity it was (StrangerCoug) didn't want to answer (because you're supposed to be completely truthful in answers if it's your identity.) The identity in question was "Cisgender but often mistaken for the wrong gender over the phone." Strangers were asked their sexual orientation if they answered that they are cisgender to a previous question; since sexual orientation isn't actually mentioned in the ID I wouldn't blame the stranger for not wanting to address it in a public thread. I guess switching that rule for a rule about irrelevant questions or something like that might work instead but I would need to be talked into it.

I'll try to work in a clause in the OP about only submitting identities you feel comfortable being asked questions about.
Alt of Ariel | MafiaScum wiki volunteer contributor & sysop | Identity (Mish Mash) is back | Speakeasy Secret Santa

"plz don't swear" -- N
"Do people just not appreciate the good old wall of text anymore?" -- Cheery Dog
KittyMo
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
Too Sparkly

Post Post #1086 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:47 am

Post by KittyMo »

I'll talk about this in more detail when this round is over. I dislike being the harbringer of missed matches and don't like to see people frustrated. It's unfortunate when someone is stuck in a rut of missed guesses ---> not being able to narrow down their future guesses as well. That's why phone-a-friend exists but it's also kinda the nature of this game.

I agree with Vi that this game is very different from the game show, in which you make decisions almost entirely based on what strangers look like. Here you are taking guesses based on what you know of "strangers" as people/their forum personas and get somewhat stronger lifelines. I can't really make it more like the game show without getting every stranger to submit a photo/video of themselves or being way more critical about what people submit to me :b. But I am always open to suggestions about how to change the game format.

"plz don't swear" -- N
Save The Dragons
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Protection unnecessary

Post Post #1087 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:15 am

Post by Save The Dragons »

I studied abroad in Ecuador my junior year of college, and it was a miserable experience for me. A lot of Americans that study their liked to drink and party, and I wasn't really into that yet. So there was not a lot I actually did while I was there, unfortunately, and I'm not exactly great at making friends.

Quito is a city that is not very big east-west, but is very big north-south. I did not have a car, obviously, so I had to utilize walking, or the public transportation system. I lived way in the north of the city, and one day, I found out about this arcade that was in the south. I knew I couldn't just walk there, so I took a bus to go from the east to the west, then took one of these trolley bus things that go on their own tracks from north to south. I got off at the stop and walked the rest of the way to one of the biggest arcades in South America, and was finally able to do nerdy things, so I had probably one of the best days I had down there.
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1088 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:53 am

Post by pieguyn »

In post 1084, StrangerCoug wrote:I am sorry, top group, but to maximize my chances of getting more money I'm going to have to try to finish off the bottom group.

piegirln and STD:
it was somewhat hell. this was at Chicago meet, after the meet proper ended, in fact, and I'm like 99% sure that LLD was onto this and would have figured this out if she had chosen to comment on this identity since I had talked about wanting to go there a few times before and at the meet and tried to get a party of people to go there with me. there's an arcade chain called Round 1 which is notable for specializing in Japanese games, and it actually originated in Japan I believe but they've opened I think 5 or 6 locations in the US. unfortunately for me, none of them are near Phoenix, but one of them just so happens to be in Bloomingdale, which is about 2 hours west from Chicago proper. anyone who knows anything about me (or has paid any attention to anything I've submitted in this game) should know there is absolutely no way in hell I miss an opportunity to be able to play so many Japanese games, so I braved the massive distance and decided I would get there at all costs.

now, for how I actually got there: the majority of the east-west distance was done by a Metra rail line. first I had to go south a bit to transfer to the east-west line, and I had no idea how the Metra rail system worked and the station I got on at wasn't like a real station and didn't appear to have any ticket office anywhere, so I kind of half-assedly got on and had to buy a ticket on the rail. from there, I went ~1 hour west and had to transfer to a bus to go ~30mins north which would take me straight to the mall it was in. now, here it was hell cuz the bus only showed up once an hour and I was waiting in the wrong spot for it, so not only did I have to sit around another hour (which I didn't count in the 2 hours), but I had no cash, neither of my credit cards or my debit card worked for various reasons, so I wasn't sure what to do and I was really stressed out. fortunately my unlimited 1-week card I was using for the L system covered it and I was able to enjoy the last ~30 mins of the trip in peace.

the trip back, when I got on the east-west Metra line, the ticket office was closed so I did the same thing I did on the first line and got on half-assedly, but they somehow let me get all the way back without even buying a ticket. and instead of taking the last Metra line back north, I said "fuck this" and just took the L north instead.

the arcade itself was so, so, so worth it and I would happily do all of this again to be able to go back to that arcade again. if Cabd was here he could tell you about how once I got there I sent him a text that said I thought I had died and gone to heaven. <_>
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1089 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:08 am

Post by pieguyn »

In post 1079, Vi wrote:...and the person whose identity you were asking about did indeed answer.

what is this about? Kari didn't refuse a question about her own identity, that was Realeo's identity.
KittyMo
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
Too Sparkly

Post Post #1090 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:11 am

Post by KittyMo »

Kari said they'd have refused even if it was their own identity, perhaps for WIFOM.

"plz don't swear" -- N
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1091 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:15 am

Post by pieguyn »

o, nvm then.

/tired
StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute

Post Post #1092 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:25 am

Post by StrangerCoug »

piegirln took public transport for two hours to the arcade

KittyMo
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
Too Sparkly

Post Post #1093 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:29 am

Post by KittyMo »

Yep. :]

I'm @ work so tables later

"plz don't swear" -- N
xofelf
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
Miss Mash
Pronoun: they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)

Post Post #1094 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:49 am

Post by xofelf »

In post 1082, Vi wrote:People like LLD and xofelf are into the 'scum social scene enough that there will probably be two or three people they can either pick out immediately or PoE really hard.
You're right, but also, I think it's nice that you know that about me :] I also like the concept of a 'scum social scene. Sounds nerdy and great.
Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
Get to reknow a xofelf here
Discord is faster than PMs or sitechat: xofelf#1697
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1095 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:52 am

Post by pieguyn »

In post 1092, StrangerCoug wrote:
piegirln took public transport for two hours to the arcade
yay ~

I probably would have cried tears of blood if you didn't get that. lol
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #1096 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:25 am

Post by Vi »

In post 1088, pieguyn wrote:there's an arcade chain called Round 1 which is notable for specializing in Japanese games, and it actually originated in Japan I believe but they've opened I think 5 or 6 locations in the US. unfortunately for me, none of them are near Phoenix, but one of them just so happens to be in Bloomingdale, which is about 2 hours west from Chicago proper. anyone who knows anything about me (or has paid any attention to anything I've submitted in this game) should know there is absolutely no way in hell I miss an opportunity to be able to play so many Japanese games, so I braved the massive distance and decided I would get there at all costs.
wait which games are you referring to here
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix
Pronoun: She/Faer

Post Post #1097 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:12 am

Post by Lady Lambdadelta »

In post 1088, pieguyn wrote:
In post 1084, StrangerCoug wrote:I am sorry, top group, but to maximize my chances of getting more money I'm going to have to try to finish off the bottom group.

piegirln and STD:
it was somewhat hell. this was at Chicago meet, after the meet proper ended, in fact, and I'm like 99% sure that LLD was onto this and would have figured this out if she had chosen to comment on this identity since I had talked about wanting to go there a few times before and at the meet and tried to get a party of people to go there with me. there's an arcade chain called Round 1 which is notable for specializing in Japanese games, and it actually originated in Japan I believe but they've opened I think 5 or 6 locations in the US. unfortunately for me, none of them are near Phoenix, but one of them just so happens to be in Bloomingdale, which is about 2 hours west from Chicago proper. anyone who knows anything about me (or has paid any attention to anything I've submitted in this game) should know there is absolutely no way in hell I miss an opportunity to be able to play so many Japanese games, so I braved the massive distance and decided I would get there at all costs.

now, for how I actually got there: the majority of the east-west distance was done by a Metra rail line. first I had to go south a bit to transfer to the east-west line, and I had no idea how the Metra rail system worked and the station I got on at wasn't like a real station and didn't appear to have any ticket office anywhere, so I kind of half-assedly got on and had to buy a ticket on the rail. from there, I went ~1 hour west and had to transfer to a bus to go ~30mins north which would take me straight to the mall it was in. now, here it was hell cuz the bus only showed up once an hour and I was waiting in the wrong spot for it, so not only did I have to sit around another hour (which I didn't count in the 2 hours), but I had no cash, neither of my credit cards or my debit card worked for various reasons, so I wasn't sure what to do and I was really stressed out. fortunately my unlimited 1-week card I was using for the L system covered it and I was able to enjoy the last ~30 mins of the trip in peace.

the trip back, when I got on the east-west Metra line, the ticket office was closed so I did the same thing I did on the first line and got on half-assedly, but they somehow let me get all the way back without even buying a ticket. and instead of taking the last Metra line back north, I said "fuck this" and just took the L north instead.

the arcade itself was so, so, so worth it and I would happily do all of this again to be able to go back to that arcade again. if Cabd was here he could tell you about how once I got there I sent him a text that said I thought I had died and gone to heaven. <_>
oh yeah I knew this was you btw. I even told vi when talking to Vi after I gave my advice.

It's why I asked like "which 2 do you want?"
Yes my Lord, but questions are dangerous, for they have answers.

13 heads and counting now, plurality is adaptive. If our experience might help you,
click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
, we are Niamh, Rhiannon, Rhea, Aisling, Saoirse, Selene, Aoife, Fírinne, Aurélie, Lyra, Airna, Fiadh and Laoise.
Soar on wings of retribution and set the world ablaze
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1098 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:29 am

Post by pieguyn »

In post 1096, Vi wrote:wait which games are you referring to here
just to list off a few of them: beatmaniaIIDX, Project DIVA, pop'n music, Taiko no Tatsujin, some other rhythm games I'd never heard of, I *think* they might have had some form of Initial D but I don't remember for sure since I didn't play it, some other racing games, a bunch of UFO catchers with a kiosk that showed a video with tips on how to win at them. there were almost definitely more but rhythm and racing games are my preference, so I don't remember much outside of that, but regardless it's pretty clear they're legit.

IIDX was the reason I found that arcade and was that hellbent on going there since it's one of the only places in the US you can play a legitimate networked IIDX machine and get an e-amusement pass for it (you have to go directly though BEMANI or you can't access their network, and they usually only allow it for machines in Japan and South Korea iirc, which is a problem since anything after IIDX18 needs to be connected to the network or you can't play it), but I had a hell of a lot of fun playing the other games, too.
In post 1097, Lady Lambdadelta wrote:oh yeah I knew this was you btw. I even told vi when talking to Vi after I gave my advice.

It's why I asked like "which 2 do you want?"
heh. I felt pretty sure you'd remember it, I was like "omg nooo" when you popped up and said you could help.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #1099 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:07 am

Post by Vi »

just to list off a few of them: beatmaniaIIDX, Project DIVA, pop'n music, Taiko no Tatsujin, some other rhythm games I'd never heard of
Considering that I'm probably the only other regular on this site who has heard of Pop'n, that last part is kind of :?y.
(I've never played it myself but someone I used to know was really into it, and I got pulled into BEMANI music from there. At one point I had an avatar from The Epic of Zektbach.)

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”