The MafiaScum Minecraft Thread - AllTheMods 9!!! - NEW Vanilla?

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.

New Vanilla Server?

Yes, on latest stable version; with fun events & mini-games!
33%
Yes, on latest stable version; for consistency & community! (no plugins)
33%
Yes, on "snapshots"/development versions; bleeding edge! (definitely no plugins)
No votes
Yes, with Spigot/Bukkit/server "plugins" (or commands like /tpa, /home, etc.)
33%
Yes, but I'll post with my specific thoughts and ideas!
No votes

Total votes: 9

Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #19125 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:44 am

Post by Maestro »

In post 19124, Porochaz wrote:Well I had to stop skyblock because it took about 10-15 minutes to log in and when I did the lag was so bad that it was unusable. It got worse the more advanced the skyblocks got... (also I was on the server to much and needed to do other things)
Long log-in times are almost certainly indicative of an issue with your hardware. Get a better
toaster
computer.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19126 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:13 am

Post by Maestro »

Also, we have a string farm?! Where?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19127 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:12 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 19126, Maestro wrote:Also, we have a string farm?! Where?
Just north of my place past the sheep paddock where the desert meets the savanna. There was a surface spawner there and ETL grinderized it.

----------------------

This seems like an apt time to bring this up - I keep finding occasional creeper pockets around my savanna so I'd appreciate if visitors could fill them when they happen. I realize I haven't done a great job of mob-proofing yet but please just be careful if you come through my portal to get to the string farm or just to visit. thanks :)
Kcdaspot
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #19128 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:16 am

Post by Kcdaspot »

hey modded minecraft server.

A NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHES.

Kc_spot

EDIT: I was just trying to find a funny challenger appears vid. I found diamonds.
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
jmj3000
jmj3000
Mafia Scum
jmj3000
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19129 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:43 pm

Post by jmj3000 »

Is anyone on?
Looking for experienced designers to help me design
SONY MAFIA
, a sequel to my Nintendo Mafia game!

Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #19130 (ISO) » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:37 am

Post by Porochaz »

After not being on for a week, today was relatively productive. Need to find pigs, dogs and horses though. (I know where pigs are, but getting them back to mine is going to be a real hassle)
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #19131 (ISO) » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:04 am

Post by McMenno »

sorry for not being on much
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19132 (ISO) » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:15 am

Post by Rhinox »

So brought this up with klaz and arch yesterday but something is up with hostile mob spawns... or down rather. As in, they're barely spawning now. Early on I remember running around exploring at night and there were mobs everywhere. They usually spawned in packs of 4 or so, and if you ran away you'd quickly run into a newly spawning pack. Like 20m away or so. It was basically impossible to travel at night even with armor, food, and weapons because there was barely enough time to stop to eat to regain health.

Anyways, yesterday I did a test and ran around the dark areas around my base for an entire night cycle and only managed to find and kill somewhere around 5-10 mobs total. Couple zombies, couple skellies, couple creepers, and that was it. There's no where close to the same amount of mobs spawning as there was early on.

Been doing some research today trying to figure out what the problem might be, because occasionally it would be nice to just run around hunting monsters. Found out hostile mobs have their own cap now (unaffected by passive mobs or anything else) of essentially 70 per player online (unless there is a server cap that is set to something else idk). So it may be that when I was running around early on there could have been many ppl online but I was the only one running around in the dark so of course I was going to get swamped by mobs because the entire cap can spawn around me (say 350 mobs for 5 ppl online). But if I'm the only one on then the cap is lower, only 70 mobs or 1/5 the amount of mob spawns in my area).

Another thought is that after being in an area for a while maybe the underground tunnels start to fill up with mobs and they don't go away until you walk far enough away to force them to despawn. So there's fewer mobs able to spawn on the surface since there's more mobs underground?

The grinders specifically the blaze grinder would count toward the hostile mob limit. If someone is afk at the blaze grinder than fewer mobs can spawn elsewhere.

So maybe this is just settling into an equilibrium due to various factors. Unless someone turned the mob spawning down, or there is some other bug causing the mob spawns to reduce over time. I remember a past server had a problem with mobs wandering into unloaded chunks and disappearing but still counting towards the cap.

Last thing - According to the wiki: "All hostile mobs (including those that are holding items) in a world will despawn if the difficulty is set to peaceful, regardless as to where the player is positioned in the world." So if we want to refresh the hostile mob spawning on the server should be as easy as anyone with OP can temporarily toggle the difficulty to peaceful and then switch it right back to hard (or whatever our current setting is). Only problem with that is anyone with pet hostile mobs named with name tags, they will also despawn if the difficulty is toggled.

Anyways, just some thoughts. In the long term probably not a big deal to have fewer mob spawns. Right now it would be nice to hunt more enderman for ender pearls but that won't be as big a deal once we slay the enderdragon. Also would be nice to find some zombie villagers to cure near my area and that is kinda tough to do if zombies aren't spawning, but I guess there are eventually other ways to acquire some villagers as well. :shrug:
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19133 (ISO) » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:38 am

Post by EspeciallyTheLies »

In post 19132, Rhinox wrote:So brought this up with klaz and arch yesterday but something is up with hostile mob spawns... or down rather. As in, they're barely spawning now.
So, there's a setting on the server properties regarding view distance. It determines how much the server loads on the back end. The more it loads, the more mobs will spawn because they are spawning in further locations. However, it increases the lag. Turning this option down decreases the lag, but also the amount of mobs that spawn - in general, not just hostile mobs.

Add in grinders and breeding farms, and that goes down even further.

So I can turn the view distance back up, but you'll get the lag back. Or I can leave it where it's at, and you'll have to be ok with fewer hostile mobs at night. :wink:
Art is cool.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19134 (ISO) » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:41 am

To be clear, the option is not directly a setting for mob spawning. It's for chunk preloading.
Art is cool.
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #19135 (ISO) » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:06 pm

Post by Maruchan »

down with spawns stay lag free (Y)
Show
Returning to modding after a nearly two year hiatus!
9 player Purgatory coming to the Open Queue Soon!
Join Now!

Micro Grand Idea uPick coming to the micro queue soon!
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19136 (ISO) » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:23 pm

Post by Rhinox »

I'm not sure if its as simple as that because according to the official wiki, mobs spawn in a 240x240 block cube centered on the player (15x15 chunks) and any mob that moves or spawns further than 128 blocks from the player despawns immediately anyways which is a 8 chunk radius.

The mob cap formula for hostile mobs is 70 * [Available spawn chunks] / 289 which is essentially 70 x number of players online unless the available spawn chunks per player is less than 289 which only happens if the server distance is set to less than ~8.

Just for reference, I the debug screen just showed ~30/125 for the E entity parameter. There was me and davroe on. Assuming the render distance is set to 8 radius or 16x16 and using the formula I get Cap = 70 * 16*16*2/289 = 124 cap. So that pretty much shows that the current server distance isn't limiting mobs.

Breeding farms shouldn't effect the mob limit because hostile mobs and passive mobs have their own separate spawn limits. Grinders would but the only one that should have a significant effect would be the blaze grinder if someone is afk for a while there before killing them all. The other grinders only use like 4 pop at a time for a few seconds.

Also for reference I have a pen of idk how many cows and I know I have at least 50 sheep so if passive mobs counted towards the same limit as hostile mobs the debug screen should have said something much higher than ~30/125. The 30 it recognizes has got to be the hostile mobs underground within range of where me and dav were when I just got on. When I get on again later I'll do another run around in the dark and try to find mobs and I'll pay attention to the F3 screen this time.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19137 (ISO) » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:38 pm

Post by Rhinox »

K so etl told me the render distance was 6 on irc so that does limit the mobs somewhat but still should only be about 2/3 the unrestrained cap not 5-10 mobs in a night cycle low. Idk. Just wanna kill some mobs sometime lol
aphix
aphix
Mafia Scum
aphix
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19138 (ISO) » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:50 pm

Post by aphix »

Well, I normally see a few mobs spawning around my village. but I also have a lot of tunnels they seem to be spawning in as well.

Only thing with the server that is bothering me is some one is messing with my cows. First there was something weird with the gate, Maybe that was a bug. But I moved them under ground and blocked them in with dirt. All the dirt was dug out. I doubt an enderman spawned down there and took all the dirt pieces blocking my stairs letting my cows free. This is getting ridiculous. This is now the second time I get to try and breed some cows.

In terms of villagers, rhinox I'll hopefully have some villagers. if we can set up my village to the rail system we should be set to move villagers.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19139 (ISO) » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:05 pm

Post by Accountant »

@aphix: Did a creeper spawn and blow up your wall maybe?
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19140 (ISO) » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:11 am

Post by Maestro »

In post 19139, Accountant wrote:@aphix: Did a creeper spawn and blow up your wall maybe?
Creepers don't explode unless under aggro, which almost always means "within 8 blocks of a player". He would've definitely noticed if it were a Creeper.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #19141 (ISO) » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:34 am

Post by Porochaz »

I passed some cows the other day, but it was in the nether. Thought it was a bit weird. I also went wandering yesterday for a while and only found one enderman (so 1 ender pearl) Has anyone found a stronghold yet?
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19142 (ISO) » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:15 am

Post by Maestro »

Davroe has a portal leading to one and I know where another is. I believe the last of the relatively close ones is NW of Menno, e.g. in the general direction of the Blaze Grinder in the Nether (if somebody wants to try to find it).
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19143 (ISO) » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:05 am

Post by Rhinox »

aphix there was definitely a cow in the nether near your village portal yesterday. I passed it on the way to the jungle portal. Haven't been to your village in a while so idk about the rest. I've had cows in a gated fence enclose for weeks now and haven't had any escape or any problem with the gate. I do know other people have visited my settlement as well because I notice things like when my pumpkins/melons are harvested or last night someone stopped by and harvested/replanted my cocoa seeds (thanks for filling my logs whoever you were!) and haven't had any issues myself with things being messed with except for a couple creeper holes around the outskirts.

Also I did another test yesterday running around to hunt mobs and there seemed to be a reasonable amount that time. Finally got the sniper duel achievement as a result. idk I guess it just depends on how many people are on and whether they're running around in the dark or afk by spawners or just hanging out in lit up areas.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19144 (ISO) » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:19 am

Post by Maestro »

In post 19143, Rhinox wrote:harvested/replanted my cocoa seeds (thanks for filling my logs whoever you were!)
I did this! The other night, also, I was at your place afking and harvested the farms a couple times.
aphix
aphix
Mafia Scum
aphix
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19145 (ISO) » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:23 am

Post by aphix »

It wasn't a creeper. It was a small area that would have caused much more damage. IT was just two dirt blocks places over the stairs. Also the nether cows were probably mine as they were down by my portal.

I had my cows in a pen with a gate for a long time without any issues either. But the gate being opened could have been something wierd. Even though one of those times that gate reversed directions like someone chopped it down and put it on backwards.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19146 (ISO) » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:46 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 19145, aphix wrote:Even though one of those times that gate reversed directions like someone chopped it down and put it on backwards.
I actually had a weird glitch the other day that might be related to this. I saw it happen so I know it was a glitch. I have 2 doors close together in my place both facing the same way and opening the same way. I need to go through both to go down to my mine from outside so I get very used to the doors behaving the same way every time. For some reason though one time I was going through my doors and the game lagged or glitched or something and after that one of my 2 doors started opening the opposite direction (still inward, but with the hinge on the opposite side so the door spun the wrong way). It upset me having the doors work the wrong way so I had to break and replace it haha.

Doesn't explain the missing dirt wall tho :shrug:
aphix
aphix
Mafia Scum
aphix
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19147 (ISO) » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:28 am

Post by aphix »

Yeah. Well the thing was I came in, found the gate open and cows everywhere. I got a bunch of them back in. Closed it. Went back to mining. Came back to the gate open again. but that time only ETL was on and she says she didn't do it so I assume it was a glitch.

After a long time of not having any issues.

On top of the dirt thing.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19148 (ISO) » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:30 am

Post by Rhinox »

Any villagers around your cows? They open doors. Do they open gates too?
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19149 (ISO) » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:01 pm

[19:57] <Vanilla> <Porochaz> well at least I can now say I lead a horse through hell
Art is cool.

Return to “The Arcade”