LoL eSports Discussion

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #7050 (ISO) » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:13 pm

Post by PJ. »

I just want tomorrow to be competitive. Otherwise we're only gonna see 2 series that are worth the price of admission.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Post Post #7051 (ISO) » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:28 pm

Post by Espeonage »

At least the one I am going to is ROX v SKT
Don't @ me.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #7052 (ISO) » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:55 pm

Post by PJ. »

Aren't you going to grand final too?
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7053 (ISO) » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:20 pm

Post by Espeonage »

Yep
Don't @ me.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #7054 (ISO) » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:48 pm

Post by BROseidon »

Well.

That sure was a series.

If h2k can figure out how to do things after 20 minutes, they can win worlds.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #7055 (ISO) » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:08 pm

Post by mykonian »

Yes, but they can't and we saw Rox hang into a game they very behind in (vs ANX) and provide meaningful resistance all along the way. There's no way H2K fixes their issues to the point they can break that consistently.

And regardless, this is something that region is way ahead on year after year. They have been very good at containing losses, good at closing out leads. Individually you find players and teams that can compete (only have to look at the chinese, or people being happy about going even with faker in lane etc), but in decisionmaking consistently nobody has been able to keep up. So now we have a European team, with lovely individual players, a great early game, with poor lategame decisionmaking. "If only they could figure that out".

yes...
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #7056 (ISO) » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:54 pm

Post by Cabd »

So uh apparently ESPN has sources that say ROX is disbanding and splitting up to go chase NA moneyz
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
Voidedmafia
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7057 (ISO) » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:18 pm

Post by Voidedmafia »

Yeah right.

Is it outlandish of me to believe that the NALCS literally does not matter anymore unless/until an NA team wins MSI or places semis or better at worlds? (less so for EU since regardless of their opposition they've won one season and have only missed semis
once
as a region (S4))
2011 scummies winner (BTS help) and participant;

coming back to Mafia...slowly. Keep an eye for me as a mod.
Also keep an eye for setup review requests.
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #7058 (ISO) » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:35 pm

Post by SleepyKrew »

In post 7056, Cabd wrote:So uh apparently ESPN has sources that say ROX is disbanding and splitting up to go chase NA moneyz
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sp74or
To be clear: quack
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack

Post Post #7059 (ISO) » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:24 pm

Post by SleepyKrew »

zor I think you need to write an article about Olaf priority
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #7060 (ISO) » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:36 am

Post by mykonian »

In post 7057, Voidedmafia wrote:Is it outlandish of me to believe that the NALCS literally does not matter anymore unless/until an NA team wins MSI or places semis or better at worlds? (less so for EU since regardless of their opposition they've won one season and have only missed semis once as a region (S4))
yeah, that's silly. It's like saying the MLS doesn't matter because the premier league, the bundesliga or la liga exists. Sure it matters, your team plays in it. They have their ups and downs, some elation, some drama. If nothing else, it's a template for Phreaks puns and you surely like those?

Similarly, EU "won" a tournament when the game was in it's infancy, both playwise, popularity wise and in terms of participation. It really doesn't matter, for one because it's not as meaningful a victory, but mostly because the majority of the viewers nowadays did not watch any of that.

And the stupid thing is, I can't even tell you you are odd for believing only winning matters and anything else is not worth your support, because I suspect that is something cultural. But it is silly nonetheless.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7061 (ISO) » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:50 am

Post by Espeonage »

In post 7057, Voidedmafia wrote:Yeah right.

Is it outlandish of me to believe that the NALCS literally does not matter anymore unless/until an NA team wins MSI or places semis or better at worlds? (less so for EU since regardless of their opposition they've won one season and have only missed semis
once
as a region (S4))
It matters because professional sports is entertainment industry and while people are entertained and watch it, it is relevant. As long as a supporter base exists, it will continue to exist and be important to the way League is run.
Don't @ me.
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack

Post Post #7062 (ISO) » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:51 am

Post by SleepyKrew »

In post 7060, mykonian wrote:If nothing else, it's a template for Phreaks puns and you surely like those?
harsh
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #7063 (ISO) » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:06 am

Post by PJ. »

Well, the bigger issue is voided can't read. Cabd said the false article wrote that rox were coming for money, not coming for superior opposition. Last I checked the dollar was strong as fuck and a pile of sports teams have been investing in both na and eu. I'm sure the dollar and euro are pretty god damn strong.
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #7064 (ISO) » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:03 am

Post by Cabd »

Yeah that's what I get for not immediately assuming any and every Jacob Wolf article is bullshit. His credibility is zero as far as I'm concerned now. This one was his last shot.
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #7065 (ISO) » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:12 am

Post by PJ. »

Oh, it's not your fault man. Espn is normally good but their esports coverage has been trash during worlds(probably always). Match reports have been factually inaccurate but at least those don't have areal impact on team's future.
Voidedmafia
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7066 (ISO) » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:46 am

Post by Voidedmafia »

In post 7060, mykonian wrote:And the stupid thing is, I can't even tell you you are odd for believing only winning matters and anything else is not worth your support, because I suspect that is something cultural. But it is silly nonetheless.
I guess I've just been so jaded by all this talk of "the gap is closing!" over the years (and especially this year) that the utter failure to do anything of note has kinda soured my viewpoint. I'm not trying to say that the LCS won't provide funny moments or dramatic moments and that those aren't worth viewing, but I can't find it within me to be as hyped when the only place it matters is in our own region, not the international stage, when it needs to matter in some way internationally.

Also, Phreak's puns are a strange mixture of good and bad shit that I can't tell you if I like them or not. I like his play-by-play more than anyone else on the NA scene, though.
In post 7063, PJ. wrote:Well, the bigger issue is voided can't read. Cabd said the false article wrote that rox were coming for money, not coming for superior opposition. Last I checked the dollar was strong as fuck and a pile of sports teams have been investing in both na and eu. I'm sure the dollar and euro are pretty god damn strong.
Me talking about my belief in the LCS had nothing to do with Cabd's post. The "yeah right" was in directly response to that, though I understand it wasn't obvious I was doing a complete topic change.

I 100% don't beleive for a single second ROX would disband, nor would they disband to go to NA. Not unless the Korean infrastructure somehow went to hell in a handbasket and NA is the next-best thing for Korean Exodus 2.0.

Voidedmafia
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7067 (ISO) » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:48 am

Post by Voidedmafia »

In post 7065, PJ. wrote:Oh, it's not your fault man. Espn is normally good but their esports coverage has been trash during worlds(probably always). Match reports have been factually inaccurate but at least those don't have areal impact on team's future.
Most places like that probably have zero clue what eSports is beyond the fact that they're a thing. I'd like for them to do some coverage of eSports events, so long as they understand it and the games first.

zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #7068 (ISO) » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:27 am

Post by zoraster »

CLG finished second at MSI.

Phreak's play by play is pretty bad. I think only Rivington's is worse, but Riv lets his color commentators do a lot more work so the overall cast is better.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #7069 (ISO) » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:38 am

Post by PJ. »

They should just have quickshot cast every game because they only use his calls in promo clips anyway and he's the best. Also he's not consistently making ridiculous mistakes like Riv.
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack

Post Post #7070 (ISO) » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:44 am

Post by SleepyKrew »

oh no have I successfully made you hate riv D:
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #7071 (ISO) » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:48 am

Post by BROseidon »

In post 7060, mykonian wrote:yeah, that's silly. It's like saying the MLS doesn't matter because the premier league, the bundesliga or la liga exists. Sure it matters, your team plays in it. They have their ups and downs, some elation, some drama. If nothing else, it's a template for Phreaks puns and you surely like those?
This isn't really a great comparison because a lot of what holds the MLS back is the salary cap. There are clubs that could fork over more money to buy more international talent (LA Galaxy and NYCFC are pretty loaded), but the salary cap and the wonky rules around it with designated players and funny money limit how much clubs can bring in "top players" to bolster their rosters. You could also argue that international slots, to a degree, hold back the MLS, but that would really only be a compelling argument if the salary cap weren't already such a big hamper.

The issue NA has right now is that it's paying its players more money than Korea and EU while getting worse results. For money in->results out, Korea and EU are both doing well (especially EU, which is the poorest of the big-4 regions), while NA and China are sucking. NA's problems aren't the same as the MLS's.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #7072 (ISO) » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:50 am

Post by PJ. »

RIV 4 SUCKS CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #7073 (ISO) » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:51 am

Post by BROseidon »

In post 7063, PJ. wrote:Well, the bigger issue is voided can't read. Cabd said the false article wrote that rox were coming for money, not coming for superior opposition. Last I checked the dollar was strong as fuck and a pile of sports teams have been investing in both na and eu. I'm sure the dollar and euro are pretty god damn strong.
Yeah I'm sure Deft is crying with how much money he's making right now.

Going back to the soccer thing, look at Michael Bradley. He'd probably be a better player if he stayed in Europe, but $6.5m Canadian/yr was too hard to pass up.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #7074 (ISO) » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:52 am

Post by zoraster »

I think Riv is fine because, as I said, he just leans more on his other casters. Phreak, on the other hand, involves himself in weird battles with his other casters.

Return to “The Arcade”