Newbie 1757 - Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:07 pm

Post by Accountant »

@Accountant, I don't see why it's scummy to withhold a vote when I'm attacking someone. I don't see a problem with not voting him while I pressure him more for response, because a vote on him now would mean little to him while pressuring him more is more helpful
I didn't get what you meant by having explained, so I looked back and found this. The problem with this explanation is that it's a sidestep. Voting and not pressuring might be inferior to not voting and pressuring, but it's not inferior to doing both. When someone asks you why you aren't voting your scumread, "it's not too bad if I don't vote them" isn't an answer.

And yes - there is huge scum motive to do this. It means you can encourage people to lynch nn30 while not being directly involved, which might implicate you.
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
XnadrojX
XnadrojX
Goon
XnadrojX
Goon
Goon

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:41 pm

Post by XnadrojX »

I didn't scumread nn30 hard enough at that point of the game for me to feel the need to vote him, and although not voting while pressuring can have scum motive, I can't get people to lynch when I'm already so obviously pressuring a response out of him, but not voting him myself, it is here where the argument is flawed.

And I need to go now, I'll come back later in a few hours.
Show
Transcend: His name is Jordan backwards, just call him Jordan.
Something_Smart: Your name is Dnecsnart backwards, should I call you Dnecsnart?
Transcend: lol that actually sounds funny

I've got a wiki!
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:48 pm

Post by Accountant »

In post 101, XnadrojX wrote:I didn't scumread nn30 hard enough at that point of the game for me to feel the need to vote him
You straight up called him a liar, and you say he doesn't deserve votes?!

Town should be downright eager to vote a liar, not reluctant and looking for excuses as to why they're not voting.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
shannon
shannon
Mafia Scum
shannon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:45 am

Post by shannon »

Alllrighty, apologies if this stuff has already been hashed out, just catching up now.
In post 50, Accountant wrote:Here is a question for you. When you were first confronted about your inconsistency all the way in post 13, why didn't you immediately say "I apologize. I was mixing up my trains of thought and retroactively adding reasoning after seeing your post 11", rather than insisting that "there was no change of tune"?
@Accountant - I think the explanation you're suggesting NN30 should have given, while great in theory, isn't how most newbies would act (or maybe most players at all?), whether scum or town. And more to the point, how would that explanation exculpate someone? Would they not then be jumped on for admitting that they 'retroactively added reasoning'? Would giving this explanation seem sincere to you? (It doesn't to me). ((Note: I'm not town reading NN30, I just want insight in to your reasoning here).

In post 65, XnadrojX wrote:I wasn't requested to move off someone. I was questioned to why I was still on my RVS vote. We're out of RVS, he reminded me I had an RVS vote, I realised that I was still on my RVS vote, I moved off my RVS vote. Simple as that. Stop misrepresenting and twisting words. I do have a scumread on you, I'm applying more pressure to you to see if my scumread is justified, AKA whether your reaction comes to me as scummy or towny. And obviously I have done scummy things, that post is not one of them.
Ummm say what? You've done scummy things, but not the scummy thing you've been accused of? What sort of post is that?!
In post 81, nn30 wrote:His post in 64 was the most substantive thing he's done so far.

I've seen it exactly once, so you know grain of salt, but the only time someone posts a summary 'here's what happened so far' they've turned out to be scum.

The reason the summary post is scummy is because analysis is hard to do as scum (the game is already solved for you) whereas summary is easy. No pretending to analyze the game state required - just state what people have done so far and viola!
Disagree - Analysis is easy to fake as scum, precisely because you already know who to target. I'm not convinced by this line of argument at all. Moreover, I've seen the summary done as town.
In post 95, XnadrojX wrote:Just because I did something Town has no reason doing, doesn't mean I am guaranteed to be not Town. It could be just me playing the game the way I play it or that I simply made an error. This is a single scumtell and you are basing your read with high levels of confidence of off it.
I'll say this - if doing things that make no sense is your MO, it's terrible from a tactical perspective. Can you explain to me me why you would act irrationally ('do something Town has no reason doing') as town? From my POV, the best thing to do as town is to be town-read as widely as possible. It helps to form a town block, and it helps to narrow down the candidates for lynching.
It doesn't deny scum any info, since they know you're town, it just makes you more likely to be mislynched by town.

I can't see a reason for a townie to be deliberately scummy, unless they're in a situation where it's very, very important to protect a PR and getting mislynched is a way of doing that - but in D1 that's sooooo not the case.

I would not be surprised at all if you flip scum. Just going to check the vote count before I vote because I don't want to L-1 anyone while half the list has yet to post much.
shannon
shannon
Mafia Scum
shannon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:46 am

Post by shannon »

UNVOTE:

FOS: X...X
shannon
shannon
Mafia Scum
shannon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:47 am

Post by shannon »

Um and @Fruitsman do you plan on making a contribution at some point, or just pretending to be a fruit seller?
XnadrojX
XnadrojX
Goon
XnadrojX
Goon
Goon

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:50 am

Post by XnadrojX »

I didn't say I acted intentionally scummy. It's terrible from a tactical perspective and it was poor town play on my part.

Also to Accountant, I didnt call him a liar, I said that he lied. There are 2 different things. And I didn't vote him as Town can also lie as part of a gambit/poor town play and other stuff. I was questioning him over the lie, rather than calling him out.
Show

I've got a wiki!
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:03 am

Post by Accountant »

@Accountant - I think the explanation you're suggesting NN30 should have given, while great in theory, isn't how most newbies would act (or maybe most players at all?), whether scum or town. And more to the point, how would that explanation exculpate someone? Would they not then be jumped on for admitting that they 'retroactively added reasoning'? Would giving this explanation seem sincere to you? (It doesn't to me). ((Note: I'm not town reading NN30, I just want insight in to your reasoning here).
I'm not suggesting that he gave the explanation. I think that the explanation is the most obvious course of action, and I want to follow up on why he chose something this convoluted instead of the obvious action.
Also to Accountant, I didnt call him a liar, I said that he lied. There are 2 different things. And I didn't vote him as Town can also lie as part of a gambit/poor town play and other stuff. I was questioning him over the lie, rather than calling him out.
In post 53, you said that he was twisting words and misrepresenting people. Do you think that too is also part of a gambit/poor town play? Because you sure as hell looked like you were calling him out for him, and you definitely didn't vote him.

shannon
shannon
Mafia Scum
shannon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:21 am

Post by shannon »

OK I do not understand the difference between saying someone is a liar, and saying that they lied.
nn30
nn30
Mafia Scum
nn30
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:11 am

Post by nn30 »

In post 103, shannon wrote:Disagree - Analysis is easy to fake as scum, precisely because you already know who to target. I'm not convinced by this line of argument at all. Moreover, I've seen the summary done as town.
If we end up agreeing to disagree here, that's fine.

The target of the analysis isn't the problem. It's the substance of it. Pretending to 'analyze' the game requires scum, who know their analysis is wrong, to find something that a townie has done and communicate effectively the 'scum motivations' behind it to the rest of town. It's hard to do, especially for newbies.

Of course, they could also scum read their partner, in which case it becomes quite easy because they can just tell the truth, but that happens less often than them scum reading a townie.
Wyvernite
Wyvernite
Goon
Wyvernite
Goon
Goon

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:19 am

Post by Wyvernite »

I've never been so confident
in a lynch 5 Pages in, lets go boys
nn30
nn30
Mafia Scum
nn30
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:21 am

Post by nn30 »

Current reads:

Town leans:
Vijarada - I agree with Accountant's assessment. He's scum hunting and prodded fruits man into making a substantive statement. These feel like town contributions.
Accountant - His exchange with me indicates he was trying to sort me. Scum in his position could have latched on and never let go without fear of consequence. I will continue to be wary of this slot purely because Accountant is an IC, but town lean for now.

Scum lean:
Fruitsman - scared to contribute. Summary post. Feels like scum unwilling to do something for fear of having to argue the point.

Scum:
XnadrojX - behavior surrounding his read on me but lack of vote on me. If you believe someone to be a liar, you lynch them. 99% of the time town will not have a valid reason to lie - therefore scum. He also unvoted copper when prompted, suggesting he's trying to be
too
cooperative.

Null:
Everyone else.
nn30
nn30
Mafia Scum
nn30
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:22 am

Post by nn30 »

In post 110, Wyvernite wrote:I've never been so confident
Same.
Vijarada
Vijarada
Goon
Vijarada
Goon
Goon

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:52 am

Post by Vijarada »

Yeah I was holding off on scumreading Xnadro but his vote on accountant and his subsequent justification is just horrific. Like, his analysis all game has been garbage, his scumreads have been a popularly pressured person who Xnadro refused to vote, followed by someone who did nothing other than vote Xnadro, his post-hoc stuff is probably worse than nn30's. I didn't think his RVS vote was scummy, I thought his play after that for a while was only a little scummy, but after this latest stuff I'm absolutely happy to lynch him.
nn30
nn30
Mafia Scum
nn30
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:01 am

Post by nn30 »

In post 113, Vijarada wrote:Yeah I was holding off on scumreading Xnadro but his vote on accountant and his subsequent justification is just horrific. Like, his analysis all game has been garbage, his scumreads have been a popularly pressured person who Xnadro refused to vote, followed by someone who did nothing other than vote Xnadro, his post-hoc stuff is probably worse than nn30's. I didn't think his RVS vote was scummy, I thought his play after that for a while was only a little scummy, but after this latest stuff I'm absolutely happy to lynch him.
Put your vote where your read is!
Vijarada
Vijarada
Goon
Vijarada
Goon
Goon

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:07 am

Post by Vijarada »

I don't want him to be at L-1 when we have like 4 people who haven't contributed. But with my vote and shannon's vote, he's absolutely getting lynched today.

Wait a minute..."put your vote where your read is" is weird from a person who was scared of 3 votes on page 1. Maybe you're trying to get my vote off you? Because you didn't say the same thing to shannon who heavily scumread nadro but didn't vote him like five posts ago.
Wyvernite
Wyvernite
Goon
Wyvernite
Goon
Goon

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:14 am

Post by Wyvernite »

In post 115, Vijarada wrote:
I don't want him to be at L-1 when we have like 4 people who haven't contributed. But with my vote and shannon's vote, he's absolutely getting lynched today.

Wait a minute..."put your vote where your read is" is weird from a person who was scared of 3 votes on page 1. Maybe you're trying to get my vote off you? Because you didn't say the same thing to shannon who heavily scumread nadro but didn't vote him like five posts ago.
She did however FOS him, don't push scum where it doesn't exist. he could well be, but that post isn't scummy.
Vijarada
Vijarada
Goon
Vijarada
Goon
Goon

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:16 am

Post by Vijarada »

Quote fail. I meant to quote 114
nn30
nn30
Mafia Scum
nn30
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:18 am

Post by nn30 »

@Vijarada

Honestly didn't even consider that your vote was still on me. Now that I'm aware, I still don't really care. Take my statement at face value - you should put your vote where your scum read is. Doing otherwise, without a good reason, is weird.

I was scared of 3 votes on page 1 because a lynch based on an RVS wagon is worthless whereas one based on post-RVS activity is actually worth something.

Shannon said exactly why they didn't want to vote for Xan - because she wants to give more people an opportunity to chime in. If you want to piggy back on that reasoning, I won't fault you for it. But don't look at me sideways for asking you to put your vote where your read is when you hadn't given that reasoning yet.
Vijarada
Vijarada
Goon
Vijarada
Goon
Goon

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:21 am

Post by Vijarada »

In [url=/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8510807#p8510807]post 110[/url], Wyvernite wrote:I've never been so confident
In [url=/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8511917#p8511917]post 116[/url], Wyvernite wrote:

She did however FOS him, don't push scum where it doesn't exist. he could well be, but that post isn't scummy.
I am guilty of tunneling sometimes, but I'm not sure this is it. It is not the scummiest post ever but to pressure someone for not putting someone at L-1 while NN himself has shown caution around this, as well as not pressuring someone whose vote was not on him before... I think that's a noteworthy inconsistency. It's not "lynch now plz" material but it's worth pointing out.

Also, I quote failed while pointing out my own quote fail. Clearly the forum has something to tell me about 110 lol.
Vijarada
Vijarada
Goon
Vijarada
Goon
Goon

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:23 am

Post by Vijarada »

In post 116, Wyvernite wrote:

What is up with me quoting 110, holy jesus!
nn30
nn30
Mafia Scum
nn30
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:25 am

Post by nn30 »

In post 119, Vijarada wrote:I am guilty of tunneling sometimes, but I'm not sure this is it. It is not the scummiest post ever but to pressure someone for not putting someone at L-1 while NN himself has shown caution around this
Sure, I'll give you this; it's worth pointing out.

The reasonings were totally different though. You're comparing apples and oranges. RVS l-1 is totally different than post RVS l-1.
Wyvernite
Wyvernite
Goon
Wyvernite
Goon
Goon

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:05 pm

Post by Wyvernite »

90% sure mafia is xx (as I will refer to him from now on) + 1 of the people who haven't spoken up yet, form a townblock right now and put the game on autopilot
XnadrojX
XnadrojX
Goon
XnadrojX
Goon
Goon

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:35 pm

Post by XnadrojX »

In post 113, Vijarada wrote:Yeah I was holding off on scumreading Xnadro but his vote on accountant and his subsequent justification is just horrific. Like, his analysis all game has been garbage, his scumreads have been a popularly pressured person who Xnadro refused to vote, followed by someone who did nothing other than vote Xnadro, his post-hoc stuff is probably worse than nn30's. I didn't think his RVS vote was scummy, I thought his play after that for a while was only a little scummy, but after this latest stuff I'm absolutely happy to lynch him.
"My analysis is horrific"
Dude I haven't even analysed anything
Show

I've got a wiki!
XnadrojX
XnadrojX
Goon
XnadrojX
Goon
Goon

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:37 pm

Post by XnadrojX »

In post 111, nn30 wrote:He also unvoted copper when prompted, suggesting he's trying to be too cooperative.
Ffs I explained this already, it was my RVS vote that i forgot to get off before exiting RVS. Is it that hard for you to understand?
Show

I've got a wiki!

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”