Newbie 1769: Happy New Year! (Post-Game)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Raskolnikov
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #175 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:23 pm

Post by Raskolnikov »

creature I bitched at you for this when I was scum a whole lot, but saying things like that literally accomplishes nothing and is a waste of space when you don't go into detail.
deranged and incoherent
?
Raskolnikov
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #176 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:28 pm

Post by Raskolnikov »

leans probably me, he said he'd never townread me ever again.
deranged and incoherent
?
GAYreenHamster
GAYreenHamster
Townie
GAYreenHamster
Townie
Townie

Post Post #177 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:37 pm

Post by GAYreenHamster »

ok, im back from dinner
Raskolnikov
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #178 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:37 pm

Post by Raskolnikov »

In post 164, schadd_ wrote:yuh. {claim before catching up} :right: {assert against the grain that there can be reasons to claim at l-2} rubs me the wrong way
Could you go into more detail for me?

Can I get your analysis on some of the other players too?
deranged and incoherent
?
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #179 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:46 pm

Post by Creature »

Okay, I'll post my reads as soon the two unexistent start existing.
Sigh
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

Post Post #180 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:59 pm

Post by schadd_ »

In post 178, Raskolnikov wrote:
In post 164, schadd_ wrote:yuh. {claim before catching up} :right: {assert against the grain that there can be reasons to claim at l-2} rubs me the wrong way
Could you go into more detail for me?

Can I get your analysis on some of the other players too?
sure. claiming at L-1 on d1 is generally an accepted thing (i don't think anyone claimed before that in any of the three i played, except for v special occasions/being especially frustrated) and TB did that; he did it without reading, apparently, but also (implicitly) acknowledges in that you generally need a reason to do it. this seems to me like he just decided ahead of time that he was gonna claim on L-2, which rings a bit scummy to me.

re: other people: creature i'm town on, because GBT is especially confident about it; this seems too ridiculous for both scum and, uh, GBN seems uniquely confident enough about the read to rule out GBN town, creature scum.

GBT earns a bit of a townread just because they're posting very much a lot, not especially dense but not sparse either. at least, they are an especially confident scum player

nullish on you (raskol); interrogating is towny, emotions are scummy. a bit more of the former, tho

gayreen: agh, null. his only voting item was on me; newbie!clumsy!scumhunting is townie, voting me is scummy (+some tone je ne sais quoi that i don't like)

mbg: also null. 4 kinda sparse posts

again, i'm not confident on townreads
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #181 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:02 pm

Post by Creature »

Who's GBN?
Sigh
gigabyteTroubadour
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #182 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:02 pm

Post by gigabyteTroubadour »

In post 180, schadd_ wrote:GBT earns a bit of a townread just because they're posting very much a lot, not especially dense but not sparse either. at least, they are an especially confident scum player
i mean for me i guess this is valid (i'm more of a quotestripper as scum based on my one game) but some people are good at faking this

is anything about my hyperposting genuine specifically?

also i think rasks's emotions are very townie, why would they be scummy?

@creature i think that's a typo :dead:
i no longer strictly go by they/them and honestly prefer she/her but they/them's fine if you're used to it i guess

☭ I'm coming for that toothbrush ☭
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #183 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:03 pm

Post by Creature »

The next votecount and I'll vote right after it.
Sigh
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #184 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:04 pm

Post by schadd_ »

GBN = GBT, whoops. GBN is an acronym for something else that i already know
mattblackguy
mattblackguy
Goon
mattblackguy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #185 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:10 pm

Post by mattblackguy »

So far I read both Rask, and Giga as town. To me it seems like Rask is trying to put some pressure on ThinkBig, and get more analysis from people, which seems like a town thing to do. I can't seem to put into words why I think Giga is town besides the fact that I think all of thier posts seem pro-town.(sorry for vagueness :/)

At first I didn't think anything of ThinkBig asking questions but him claiming at L-2 seemed very odd to me. Like (1) I don't think anyone had intent to lynch him especially when we have 13 days left in the day, still have plenty of discussion left, and 2 people still haven't posted. (2) A vanilla townie claim doesn't really have much weight to it, because wouldn't everyone claim vanilla townie on day 1? It's not like a power role would claim their actual role day 1 because they would know they would die that night, and all mafia would also claim vanilla townie.

I'm not sure what to think about Creature at the moment. It seems he's being vague with all his posts, and can't get a read on him.

Everyone else I'm pretty much null on.

(sorry if my reads/analysis sucks. I'm just typing what comes to mind, and would very much appreciate feedback on how I can improve)
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #186 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:11 pm

Post by schadd_ »

In post 182, gigabyteTroubadour wrote: 1. i mean for me i guess this is valid (i'm more of a quotestripper as scum based on my one game) but some people are good at faking this

2. is anything about my hyperposting genuine specifically?

3. also i think rasks's emotions are very townie, why would they be scummy?
numbers added

1. what's a quotestripper? :wink:
2. uh, nothing in particular. there's just a bunch of stuff (almost a third of posts in the thread) and it's more that you haven't screwed up than that you have done anything remarkably genuine
3. i only emotions'd once, as scum. i think it's easy to fake, since people tend to sound silly when they're angry anyway. it surely depends on rask's precedent, tho
gigabyteTroubadour
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #187 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:19 pm

In post 185, mattblackguy wrote:I'm not sure what to think about Creature at the moment. It seems he's being vague with all his posts, and can't get a read on him.
Creature (especially town!Creature) usually feels like that the first time you play with him. I do like that you're more inquisitive/neutral about it rather than trying to push on it, especially considering how lynchbaity creature can be sometimes.

I'm weak with analysis and generally play with overblown gut but I'm liking the route you're going with
schadd_ wrote:
In post 182, gigabyteTroubadour wrote: 1. i mean for me i guess this is valid (i'm more of a quotestripper as scum based on my one game) but some people are good at faking this

numbers added

2. uh, nothing in particular. there's just a bunch of stuff (almost a third of posts in the thread) and it's more that you haven't screwed up than that you have done anything remarkably genuine
3. i only emotions'd once, as scum. i think it's easy to fake, since people tend to sound silly when they're angry anyway. it surely depends on rask's precedent, tho
1. Someone whose posts are usually long walls with bits of quotes and responses. Like if I write a big wall, a quotestripper would quote maybe each sentence or two and respond to it (or put a bunch of quotes in one post). :laugh:

2. :? .... how exactly would I "screw up"? like outright scumslip or

3. Really? Most people (especially tone readers) usually believe that some degree of emotion is possible to fake as scum, but usually you can tell if someone is being genuine if you know what to look for. Like Rask's emotions feel really natural and reasonable considering their contexts (his annoyance at me saying that his play was within his scumrange probably, his reaction to TB's claim) to me. Scum might react more... obviously? (like they might state "ugh i'm pissed that..." and not really show their emotions as much through tone)
i no longer strictly go by they/them and honestly prefer she/her but they/them's fine if you're used to it i guess

gigabyteTroubadour
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #188 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:19 pm

also rask's precedent (here we usually call that "meta" but people would probably get you either way) backs up that he'd act this way as town imo

mattblackguy
mattblackguy
Goon
mattblackguy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #189 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:24 pm

Post by mattblackguy »

voting me is scummy (+some tone je ne sais quoi that i don't like)
Why was voting on you scummy? And what does the stuff in the parentheses mean?
gigabyteTroubadour
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #190 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:26 pm

oh matt i forgot to mention

i definitely think a pr would claim pr, getting lynched as provable town is way worse than nk'd

plus if he's scum and claims pr he can bait the real pr to claim (or get away with a fake-claim). you're kind of close with your logic here actually, a PR only shouldn't CC D1. Always claim your real role at L-1 (and are town) unless you absolutely know what you're doing

mattblackguy
mattblackguy
Goon
mattblackguy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #191 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:26 pm

Post by mattblackguy »

Messed up on the quote.
In post 180, schadd_ wrote:
gayreen: agh, null. his only voting item was on me; newbie!clumsy!scumhunting is townie, voting me is scummy (+some tone je ne sais quoi that i don't like)
Aeronaut
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #192 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:34 pm

Post by Aeronaut »

- VoteCount 1.2 -

With 9 players still alive, it's 5 to lynch!

[L-5]
mattblackguy -
[L-5]
GAYreenHamster -
[L-5]
Shade -
[L-5]
schadd_ -
[L-5]
Raskolnikov -
[L-3]
ThinkBig -
schadd_, gigabyteTroubadour

[L-5]
gigabyteTroubadour -
[L-4]
Creature -
ThinkBig

[L-4]
rakkar -
mattblackguy

Not Voting
-
Shade, rakkar, Creature, Raskolnikov, GAYreenHamster

Day 1 ends in (expired on 2017-01-18 20:00:00)
2023 W/L | 1-0
mattblackguy
mattblackguy
Goon
mattblackguy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #193 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:36 pm

Post by mattblackguy »

In post 190, gigabyteTroubadour wrote:oh matt i forgot to mention

i definitely think a pr would claim pr, getting lynched as provable town is way worse than nk'd

plus if he's scum and claims pr he can bait the real pr to claim (or get away with a fake-claim). you're kind of close with your logic here actually, a PR only shouldn't CC D1. Always claim your real role at L-1 (and are town) unless you absolutely know what you're doing
Alright, I'm a little confused. Can you explain to me why a PR shouldn't CC day one? Wouldn't it be good to CC someone that you know is scum to get them lynched? Worst case scenario (and maybe I'm not thinking this all the way through) is that the town wouldn't know which one is the real PR and don't lynch either. If town doesn't lynch either doesn't this mean that the mafia couldn't kill the PR at night because they know that their mafia will be lynched the next day?
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #194 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:37 pm

Post by schadd_ »

In post 187, gigabyteTroubadour wrote:
schadd_ wrote:

numbers added

1. Someone whose posts are usually long walls with bits of quotes and responses. Like if I write a big wall, a quotestripper would quote maybe each sentence or two and respond to it (or put a bunch of quotes in one post). :laugh:

2. :? .... how exactly would I "screw up"? like outright scumslip or

3. Really? Most people (especially tone readers) usually believe that some degree of emotion is possible to fake as scum, but usually you can tell if someone is being genuine if you know what to look for. Like Rask's emotions feel really natural and reasonable considering their contexts (his annoyance at me saying that his play was within his scumrange probably, his reaction to TB's claim) to me. Scum might react more... obviously? (like they might state "ugh i'm pissed that..." and not really show their emotions as much through tone)
2. i dunno, you haven't done it. i don't mean full screw up, but, like, none of your opinions have seemed fishy
3. yeah, maybe i'm not as good at that as other people. i have scumread many a town for what seemed to me like "ugh i'm pissed that"

i'm used to strategy games where meta is an impersonal term, but i'll use it
In post 189, mattblackguy wrote:
voting me is scummy (+some tone je ne sais quoi that i don't like)
Why was voting on you scummy? And what does the stuff in the parentheses mean?
because i'm town, silly. and there is a vague sense of not-genuineness that i get from him, but it's not very compelling
gigabyteTroubadour
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #195 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:47 pm

It only applies for investigatives (maybe jailkeepers?), but basically the logic is they can still hide while there's a second ML and get a result and then claim the start of the next day

So let's say Scum claims Tracker at L-1, but there's really just a single cop (no doctor). The cop knows for a fact that the tracker is scum and can investigate a likely partner (a guilty leads to autowin here) and then get them lynched the next day (or in LYLO). There's also the added boon that you dying in the night is still basically a guilty (in the long run it'd probably be better to cc if you're just relying on this hut we're not). If they CC'd instantly, you'd get your scum lynch most likely (we rarely keep contradicting PR claims alive. maybe doctors or BPs in this set-up?) but then you miss out on the potential autowin from a second guilty.

gigabyteTroubadour
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #196 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:48 pm

i guess maybe it's only smart in the single cop set-up actually

with tracker the scum that kills is the fakeclaimer always

jk can play around that ^ though

GAYreenHamster
GAYreenHamster
Townie
GAYreenHamster
Townie
Townie

Post Post #197 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:54 pm

Post by GAYreenHamster »

shadd_, claiming to be town doesnt mean lynching you is scummy. No one is confirmed town, so saying that wasnt exactly a good reason...
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #198 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:56 pm

Post by schadd_ »

it makes it scummy from my perspective, tho; maybe you should seem town to everyone else
GAYreenHamster
GAYreenHamster
Townie
GAYreenHamster
Townie
Townie

Post Post #199 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:58 pm

Post by GAYreenHamster »

ok, well you cant exactly call someone scummy because ,from your perspective, they lynched town (unless cop confirmed). And im pretty sure that last comment wasnt exactly needed? i mean, not everyone will always think im town anyways, and it isnt like you seem like town to everyone else as well...

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”