Newbie 1769: Happy New Year! (Post-Game)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
cassielle
cassielle
Mafia Scum
cassielle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #525 (ISO) » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:51 pm

Post by cassielle »

In post 442, cassielle wrote:noobscum imo:

will
panic and flounder a bit.
they dont have guidance until night-talk.

will
lurk a lot.

are going to be self-analytical, watching their words, persona, actions, etc.

will tend toward posts with
polished presentation
, low content, high word count.

will flail with reads (massive back and forth).
emphasis added to explain why this drops tb even further into scumpit for me
mattblackguy
mattblackguy
Goon
mattblackguy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #526 (ISO) » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:06 pm

Post by mattblackguy »

Creature :

Spoiler:
At first I was skeptical of Creature because everyone was saying he was confirmed town, but I didn't really see how they came to this conclusion. Later though after Cass came in, Creature seems like he's genuinely trying to scum hunt. I just wish he would have given all this analysis that he had earlier when the game was at a standstill.
Overall Read : Town

ThinkBig :
Spoiler:
I still think his RQS was fine, and Schadd, and Giga were overreacting to this. Schadd, Giga, and Rask quickly joined the ThinkBig train to put ThinkBig at L-2, and he claimed VT. He then claimed there are good reasons to claim at L-2 even before someone declares intent to lynch. This pinged me, and apparently some others. He's said this 5 days ago , and since then basically has been MIA. He comes around every other day, and says he will post that night or whatever, but he never actually does it.

Ever since that very first day ThinkBig hasn't contributed anything, but looking through his profile it still seems like he is contributing to his other games albeit not terribly much. ThinkBig is avoiding this game, and that pings me as scum.

Overall Read : Medium Scum

Gayreenhamster :

Spoiler:
He seems to have taken to Giga as his mentor/leader early in the game (probably because he has played with Giga before in PS mafia). Early into the first day he wanted to put ThinkBig at L-1 even though just before he said that nothing ThinkBig did was scummy. Why would he want to put someone at L-1 if he thought they weren't scummy? Pings me as scum. Also there's the fact that right after Gayreen said he's going to put Think at L-1, Rask asked Gayreen what his read on Think was, and he never responded.

And that's basically it for Gayreen. Besides that all I've seen from him is post fluff like :
In post 177, GAYreenHamster wrote:ok, im back from dinner
In post 207, GAYreenHamster wrote:anyways, im turning in for the night (most likely), so be back tomorrow
So gayreen was semi-active on the first/second day, but hasn't really contributed much since. Also hasn't taken many stances on issues yet most people are townreading him hard.(at least Giga, Creature, and Cass are) I still don't understand it.

Overall read : null-scum

Cassielle :

Spoiler:
I really feel like Cass brought some dissension that this town needed. It certainly did make me think more about many of my reads. For one I think your Rask read is pretty spot on. When I actually go back and re-read the thread it does seem to me like Rask's attempt at scumhunting is half-assed.

I'm not sure I follow you on pointing the finger at Giga for top scum read though. Still think Rask is a better pick. You question Giga on why they shot down Think's RQS, and they already answered way earlier in the game with :
In post 75, gigabyteTroubadour wrote:felt like TB's vote would be a good discussion point so that votes wouldn't have to be random. force people to take sides and good stuff like that

i kind of overestimated that potential

honestly rvs is more of a state of mind than a finite stage so usually when people say "rvs is over" it's not serious or at least subjective to whoever said that
Only thing I find a little strange is that you're reading pretty much everyone as scum/null-scum, and are only reading 2 people as town.

Overall read : Town

Rask :
Spoiler:
In my first read post I read Rask as town mainly because Giga was reading him as town. (That's what I mean in my other post when I said sheeping too much). Now looking back a lot of his iso is full of fluff, and filler to arbitrarily inflate his post count. To me it seemed like he jumped on the ThinkBig lynch train becaues he was an easy target at that point in time.

After the ThinkBig lynch train kinda fizzled out he just there making little comments, but not doing much scumhunting. Just many one-liners without much substance to them. I know Rask said he prefers to play town, and his play looks like he's just trying to glide through the game as scum.

Overall read : Top scum atm

Schadd :
Spoiler:
Schadd was the very first on to jump on ThinkBig for the RQS, and his provided reasoning for voting was decent imo. I can easily see why he would think some of ThinkBig's questions could have scum motivations. (Mainly ThinkBig's 4th question)
In post 320, schadd_ wrote:i feel in a bit of a weird position. GBT can apparently confidently townread half the cast, and neither of rask and creature has really called them out on it. so, uh, we're golden i guess?
This in particular really sounds townie to me. He was the first one to call out the fact that GBT is practically town reading most of the town.
In post 489, schadd_ wrote:this definitely describes less than all scenarios. this is a mafia forum, and it's probably hard to find if you're completely unfamiliar with the game, but there has probably existed some newbie, somewhere, that would see this post and say something readable about their role. it's really not a large probability, but scum might be able to pick off a PR with little risk, and i don't really see any way the question could add to discussion/hold people accountable somehow.
I also like schadd's reasoning in this quote. Not much else I have to say about him though. He seems pretty chill, and he looks like he's casually trying to scumhunt.

Overall Read : Town

Ok this post was kinda tiring. I'll do Giga, and shade later. Still need more from shade to form a better opinion on him, but I will say that I read Giga as town for now. I'll explain on this later, but for now I'll just list player list in order from towniest to scummiest :

[Towniest]
Creature (top town partially because everyone reads him as town)
Gigabyte
Cassielle
Schadd
Shade
Gayreen
ThinkBig
Rask
[scummiest]
mattblackguy
mattblackguy
Goon
mattblackguy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #527 (ISO) » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:06 pm

Post by mattblackguy »

VOTE: Rask
Raskolnikov
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #528 (ISO) » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:09 pm

Post by Raskolnikov »

In post 524, ThinkBig wrote:Aeronaut and other people on the site use the colours for read list. I personally like the colour codes as it is easy to see visually where you put people.
What's the thought process though in spending time fetching a fancy format instead of talking about your scumreads?

Even just a paragraph on a scumread is better than making a list and making it fancy which pretty much communicates fuck all.
deranged and incoherent
?
Aeronaut
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #529 (ISO) » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:10 pm

Post by Aeronaut »

-Grey- replaces Gayreenhamster.
2023 W/L | 1-0
-Grey-
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #530 (ISO) » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:11 pm

Post by -Grey- »

The beast has arrived.

I'm already on page nine, will be continuing my catch-up.
“Trust is an orchid, beautiful but delicate, requiring ideal conditions in order to thrive. Without them, it dies.” - Dahrk (Arrow, Season 4)
---
"-grey- would hardclaim an inno on his obv-scum partner D2 in a micro if he could" - gigabyteTroubadour
"You type like a Bond villain." - DogWatch
ThinkBig
ThinkBig
Jack of All Trades
ThinkBig
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #531 (ISO) » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:11 pm

Post by ThinkBig »

Welcome -Grey-
I have officially retired this account. My new account is Virtuoso.
Aeronaut
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #532 (ISO) » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:12 pm

Post by Aeronaut »

- VoteCount 1.10 -

With 9 players still alive, it's 5 to lynch!

[L-5]
mattblackguy -
[L-5]
-Grey- -
[L-5]
schadd -
[L-4]
Shade -
Raskolnikov

[L-2]
Raskolnikov -
Cassielle, Creature, mattblackguy

[L-3]
ThinkBig -
schadd_, gigabyteTroubadour,

[L-5]
gigabyteTroubadour -
[L-5]
Creature -
[L-5]
Cassielle -

Not Voting
-
-Grey-, Shade, ThinkBig

Day 1 ends in (expired on 2017-01-18 20:00:00)
2023 W/L | 1-0
cassielle
cassielle
Mafia Scum
cassielle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #533 (ISO) » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:15 pm

Post by cassielle »

because i think its worth expanding on the polished presentation bit:

first impressions matter. rasks posts are high quantity, low quality, low content. at a simple glance they feel scum, theres a whole lot of posts that mostly dont say anything about the player. no matter what the content is, its going to be colore dby that first glance knee-jerk gut reaction, period.

on the opposite side of things, take gbT whose posts scream town: large, numerous, high in content, middle of the road quality (imo). at a glance you see those walls and you think "this has to be town" -- it took a very early and very unpopular interpretation of gbT's approach for me to recognize that it MIGHT not be town. everyone else is calling him obvtown. thats why first impressions matter -- you can look past the content to a certain extent because you have that vibe from looking at posts. this is also the basis of a lot of gut reads, even if the player isnt aware of it.

putting a highly polished sleek and visually well-designed (note: visually!!!) post out when youre under scrutiny is meant to deflect attention. it says "hey look im all cleaned up and my hairs nice". it wants you to go in reading it as town, because it looks nice.

unfortunately, more experienced players dont see "its sleek and nice looking", they see "its contentless and poorly thought out." thats why its not generally a scumtell outside noobscum -- it doesnt help anyones case and players who have been on the town side of it will recognize that. for experienced players its usually NAI because they just do it that way.

tb's use feels scummy, imo.

p-edit: ill devote a special post to you mbg. thanks for the big contribution, and no worries -- mafias for fun, if youre getting burnt out after a post then go take a break man haha

and hi grey! i look forward to your thoughts on who is town and who is scum when you have caught up
-Grey-
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #534 (ISO) » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:18 pm

Post by -Grey- »

In post 239, mattblackguy wrote:mattblackguy - Town
GAYreenHamster - Town
Shade - Town
rakkar - Mafia
schadd_- Town
Raskolnikov (SE) - Town
ThinkBig (SE) - Mafia
gigabyteTroubadour (SE) - Town
Creature (IC) - Town

So did we win?
That seems to be the popular consensus.

Why are your reads the popular consensus?
“Trust is an orchid, beautiful but delicate, requiring ideal conditions in order to thrive. Without them, it dies.” - Dahrk (Arrow, Season 4)
---
"-grey- would hardclaim an inno on his obv-scum partner D2 in a micro if he could" - gigabyteTroubadour
-Grey-
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #535 (ISO) » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:20 pm

Post by -Grey- »

In post 240, mattblackguy wrote:By the way, my previous post was 100% serious. I really do believe Rakkar, and ThinkBig are the mafia. Rakkar hasn't contributed anything to the game. He hasn't posted any opinions on anything that has gone on in this game so far, and hasn't posted any of his thoughts about the other players (who he thinks is town, who he thinks is scum etc.) I will not remove my vote from Rakkar unless he actually contributes something.
That's nice and all, but what has everyone else besides TB done to convince you they're town?
---
mattblackguy
mattblackguy
Goon
mattblackguy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #536 (ISO) » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:23 pm

Post by mattblackguy »

In post 534, -Grey- wrote:Why are your reads the popular consensus?
Not the popular consensus anymore. Ever since Cass has come in the town seems a little more split. Before we were basically circle jerking, reading each other as town, and reading the lurkers as scum. I'm glad we moved away from that, and think we're in a better state now.
mattblackguy
mattblackguy
Goon
mattblackguy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #537 (ISO) » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:27 pm

Post by mattblackguy »

In post 535, -Grey- wrote:That's nice and all, but what has everyone else besides TB done to convince you they're town?
It was more so since I thought rakkar, and thinkbig was scum that everyone else had to be town (because of the rolelist). My thinking was pretty naive and noobess now looking back at it in hindsight. Honestly this is my first game, and I'm still trying to figure things out.
-Grey-
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #538 (ISO) » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:27 pm

Post by -Grey- »

In post 299, Raskolnikov wrote:
1. mattblackguy

2. GAYreenHamster

3. Shade
4. rakkar
5. schadd_
6. Raskolnikov (SE)
7. ThinkBig (SE)
8. gigabyteTroubadour (SE)
9. Creature (IC)
Wat
---
-Grey-
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #539 (ISO) » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:28 pm

Post by -Grey- »

In post 536, mattblackguy wrote:
In post 534, -Grey- wrote:Why are your reads the popular consensus?
Not the popular consensus anymore. Ever since Cass has come in the town seems a little more split. Before we were basically circle jerking, reading each other as town, and reading the lurkers as scum. I'm glad we moved away from that, and think we're in a better state now.
That's a deflection, not an answer. When you posted those reads, they were the popular consensus.

Why?
---
cassielle
cassielle
Mafia Scum
cassielle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #540 (ISO) » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:29 pm

Post by cassielle »

ok, regarding mbg's big scumread list -- its largely similar to mine and creatures.

i follow the reasoning on gayreen even if i dont agree with it -- there a paranoia that stems from the inactivity, and i admit that is something i might have considered more, but to be fair, you have even fewer posts over all, what makes you more town here?

i keep saying it and its prob unnecessary but just in case: im not sharing more on my gbT reads right now. i appreciate it but for me, right now, gbT is someone who i dont care to hear anything about until they return to thread.

shade feels more scummy than gayreen or even tb imo. can i get the reasoning for him being above them? i guess another way to word this is -- what do you weight more when looking for scumreads? activity, content, tone, or gut? theres good reasons to reconsider shades placement based on some of those.

townreads mostly agreed as well. i feel like these are honest, but im curious about your personally rather low activity and shade's placement in list still -- its worth noting that shade and schadd are in standard scumbuddy territory on your list from where im sitting -- if you were scum, youd want them on weak townlean/nulltown read imo. they can benefit from any towncred you have and if you fall down and flip red its still not an immediate scumsign on them

p-edit: yeah more or less what mbg said, grey. tho im glad so glad you picked that up. i /sorta/ missed it other than feeling his reads were REALLY messed up, and creature caught it and nailed it down in the open. fortunately things have changed, but just catching that alone gives me a very light town read on you, like super nully nulltown (waiting on final catch up post to make decisions)

p-edit 2: those rask lists are crazy man
-Grey-
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #541 (ISO) » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:29 pm

Post by -Grey- »

In post 537, mattblackguy wrote:
In post 535, -Grey- wrote:That's nice and all, but what has everyone else besides TB done to convince you they're town?
It was more so since I thought rakkar, and thinkbig was scum that everyone else had to be town (because of the rolelist). My thinking was pretty naive and noobess now looking back at it in hindsight. Honestly this is my first game, and I'm still trying to figure things out.
Fair enough.
---
mattblackguy
mattblackguy
Goon
mattblackguy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #542 (ISO) » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:30 pm

Post by mattblackguy »

In post 539, -Grey- wrote:That's a deflection, not an answer. When you posted those reads, they were the popular consensus.

Why?
In post 536, mattblackguy wrote:Before we were basically circle jerking, reading each other as town, and reading the lurkers as scum
cassielle
cassielle
Mafia Scum
cassielle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #543 (ISO) » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:33 pm

Post by cassielle »

everyone was sheeping gbT too, esp around just before i come in, p14 and p15

one of the reasons i was thinking gbT was scum playin town leader, but thats neither here nor there atm
-Grey-
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #544 (ISO) » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:39 pm

Post by -Grey- »

If I saw what I thought I saw IRT Creature, that was really, really stupid.
---
Raskolnikov
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #545 (ISO) » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:41 pm

Post by Raskolnikov »

So matt I think just has too much depth behind his posts for a scum newbie to reasonably fake.
I like how he seems like he has genuine trouble saying why he thinks giga is town (I think there are a lot of things you could make up if you wanted to as scum) and the apology at the end and kind of tone make me think he'd actually sincerely give more if he could. "wouldn't everyone claim vt d1?" is wrong though that's a side point.
I love because he himself isn't satisfied giving a readlist and he wants to impact the game and actually have his thoughts get considered (it feels like, like he knows he's a newbie but really wants to be taken seriously?).
Unvote for rakkar replacement's fair and I find scum often have a compulsion to plopping their vote somewhere else after unvoting like that which wasn't the case.
Latest analysis I generally agree with aside from the read on yours truly (and also I'm having a lil bit of paranoia on an SE), though pretty much everyone seems to suspect me to some degree so it's awkward for me to judge.

In general definitely scumhunting and pretty much all business about it.
deranged and incoherent
?
mattblackguy
mattblackguy
Goon
mattblackguy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #546 (ISO) » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:42 pm

Post by mattblackguy »

In post 540, cassielle wrote:i follow the reasoning on gayreen even if i dont agree with it -- there a paranoia that stems from the inactivity, and i admit that is something i might have considered more, but to be fair, you have even fewer posts over all, what makes you more town here?
Many of his posts are pointless one-liners that have added nothing to the game, which is why I think just looking at total post counts is misleading. Also when gayreen was asked to explain, or take sides he wouldn't do it, but would still post those one-liners.
-Grey-
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #547 (ISO) » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:42 pm

Post by -Grey- »

In post 367, mattblackguy wrote:Since Rakkar is most likely getting replaced later today I'll just drop my vote on him now, and see what the new person says.
Ew.

Not a fan.
---
-Grey-
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #548 (ISO) » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:45 pm

Post by -Grey- »

In post 369, mattblackguy wrote:Lastly it does seem to me that Gayreen is just following whatever you(Giga) say in an attempt to gain a town read from you.
Hypocrite, thy name is matt.
---
mattblackguy
mattblackguy
Goon
mattblackguy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #549 (ISO) » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:46 pm

Post by mattblackguy »

In post 547, -Grey- wrote:Ew.

Not a fan.
In post 367, mattblackguy wrote:Yeaaah. I'm reconsidering what I previously thought about Rakkar. Going back it seems like Rakkar is just a kid, and this game didn't turn out like he thought it would so he just disappeared.
And this was also a big reason why I dropped my vote. Seems like you're only reading half of my posts, and then taking them out of context.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”