Newbie 1779 | Spring | Endgame

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Ulti
Ulti
Townie
Ulti
Townie
Townie

Post Post #275 (ISO) » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:19 pm

Post by Ulti »

In post 274, mhsmith0 wrote:
In post 262, Ulti wrote:I didnt know how to vote sorry
I voted them because I have a feeling they are bad and because rather than trying to defend themself they are posting things like "frankly i dont give a damn"
and town members should be trying harder than that
[/u][/b]
This is basically the epitome of pot calling kettle black. Why do you have a feeling she's bad?
I just have a feeling but i dont know. I read some forum mafia terminology and I think it is what you call "gut reading"
-Grey-
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #276 (ISO) » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:20 pm

Post by -Grey- »

Where did you read it? I'm always looking for more information on mafia theory.
“Trust is an orchid, beautiful but delicate, requiring ideal conditions in order to thrive. Without them, it dies.” - Dahrk (Arrow, Season 4)
---
"-grey- would hardclaim an inno on his obv-scum partner D2 in a micro if he could" - gigabyteTroubadour
"You type like a Bond villain." - DogWatch
Ulti
Ulti
Townie
Ulti
Townie
Townie

Post Post #277 (ISO) » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:36 pm

Post by Ulti »

In post 276, -Grey- wrote:Where did you read it? I'm always looking for more information on mafia theory.
I read some of the wiki and some topics in Mafia Discussion and saw things about "reading off gut" which can be shortened to "gutreading".
-Grey-
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #278 (ISO) » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:44 pm

Post by -Grey- »

Awesome, like where?

Shouldn't be hard to provide a link that talks about reading off gut, if you found something in the wiki. I'd like to see what you have found out about the game so far.
“Trust is an orchid, beautiful but delicate, requiring ideal conditions in order to thrive. Without them, it dies.” - Dahrk (Arrow, Season 4)
---
"-grey- would hardclaim an inno on his obv-scum partner D2 in a micro if he could" - gigabyteTroubadour
Ulti
Ulti
Townie
Ulti
Townie
Townie

Post Post #279 (ISO) » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:48 pm

Post by Ulti »

In post 278, -Grey- wrote:Awesome, like where?

Shouldn't be hard to provide a link that talks about reading off gut, if you found something in the wiki. I'd like to see what you have found out about the game so far.
There is nothing that talks about reading off gut, there are plenty of references to "gut" on most pages. Try going to a random page or player pages and a lot of places especially game records will list how they read off gut during that game or how it worked this game etc
-Grey-
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #280 (ISO) » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:06 pm

Post by -Grey- »

VOTE: Ulti

Consider it a gut read.
---
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #281 (ISO) » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:27 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

VOTE: ulti
choo choo
Show
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Mhsmith0
Conq: you, sir, are great at being town.
BATMAN: Only jugg was the only one we didn’t scum read at least not me
Quick: There is little to no chance this slot is Power-Wolfing.
SR: I want to give him a day
Life is simply unfair, don't you think?
aa-dono
aa-dono
Townie
aa-dono
Townie
Townie

Post Post #282 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:43 am

Post by aa-dono »

In post 183, -Grey- wrote:
In post 182, aa-dono wrote:
In post 181, -Grey- wrote:
In post 180, aa-dono wrote:@-Grey- what do you think of oldwino or DogWatch?
Might be more productive to wait until my interaction with oldwino to end before asking me about my opinion on him.
Ok...
In post 179, -Grey- wrote:If I'm scum, what do I hope to accomplish by voting myself when I am not under pressure?
Isn't it the best time to vote yourself when you're not under pressure?
Makes you look like you're not afraid of pressure, which is supposed to be a town trait.

[Going to sleep - I'm sorry my timezone is gekk (can't think of the right vocab) ]
VOTE: aa-domo

Why are you determined to interfere in my interactions with oldwino?
Because you were online haha
In post 206, -Grey- wrote:
In post 198, mhsmith0 wrote:Slightly towny response. I can see why he might be voting AA instead of OW here as a reaction, though in a world where OW is scum and AA isn't, I might be a bit suspicious of his making the wrong choice when OW was ALSO a valid reaction vote (generally speaking, I'd think that AA's interference here would only look off if OW flipped scum).
OW is already responding openly to questions without additional pressure.

AA is just being... difficult.
I don't get how I was being difficult though. I was trying to sort out a read on oldwino and since he would reply to them anyway, I wanted to sort you out as well by getting your opinion on something that was within my focus at the time.
-Grey-
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #283 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:46 am

Post by -Grey- »

Well it's pretty damned rude to interfere in an interaction.

If something is addressed to someone else, let them respond.
---
aa-dono
aa-dono
Townie
aa-dono
Townie
Townie

Post Post #284 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:51 am

Post by aa-dono »

I like Grey - Ulti interaction.
My summary of it is "Oh!"

VOTE: Ulti
@Ulti what do you think of Grey?
aa-dono
aa-dono
Townie
aa-dono
Townie
Townie

Post Post #285 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:53 am

Post by aa-dono »

In post 240, oldwino wrote:Finally getting back to aa's questions in post 172.
In post 172, aa-dono wrote:
In post 152, oldwino wrote: what are you thinking? Are you going to claim or NOT claim BP?
I don't really understand the RC town thing. I'm still trying to get a hang of everyone's name too. mastina (the IC) have unsatisfactory explanation regarding her reads, but they're not red flags to me. I don't think the OMGUS from oldwino on me as anthing much, but that vote on mastina doesn't really feell like it was backed with a "strong read". I'm more wary of Dog since I don't understand where his view on who's scummy or townie came from.
I still don't see the benefit to the not BP claim. How does it help?
JDW claimed BP so my response is after-the-fact but still wanted to respond to your question. Good for future reference.
RC did research and found that not claiming/claiming the bp increased town's chance of winning. In the recent game when he tried it and everyone cooperated, scum were killed the first two nights. So, after reading that and giving it some thought, I decided to cooperate and claim NOT bp.
Thanks for the summary. I didn't understand the interactions.
In post 283, -Grey- wrote:Well it's pretty damned rude to interfere in an interaction.

If something is addressed to someone else, let them respond.
Noted. I'll refrain the interruption in the future.
aa-dono
aa-dono
Townie
aa-dono
Townie
Townie

Post Post #286 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:49 am

Post by aa-dono »

In post 220, mastina wrote:One thing which might help your style is asking a lot of questions--as scum, questions are a great way to make it look like you're doing more than you are. As town, what you need to do is to actually try and make something productive with the questions. Follow through with your questions, to see what the logical extension of them is, and form conclusions off of them.

These questions might be to yourself, or might be asked to other players. (Or in themes, even to the mod!) But I
think
(it's hard to take a more precise guess) that asking questions would be a good start to figuring out what style works best for you. Contradiction-type players have a tendency to be good at adapting via questions. (Homework if you're interested: read games with the hydra account Reasonably Rational in them. The players in that account tend to be QUITE good at this asking-questions thing.)
Oh yep. I used to ask a lot of questions. I tried to reduce it since they were deemed scummy actions and something along the line "asked too many questions, but give few opinions".
As much as I try not to ask too much, I can't seem to move forward without my questions.
Thanks for the link. I'll look it up :)
oldwino
oldwino
Goon
oldwino
Goon
Goon

Post Post #287 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:29 am

Post by oldwino »

I have just a couple of minutes, it's a busy Sunday. But I had to comment.

I don't like ulti's responses or vote either, even though I think Mastina is scum and am keeping my vote on her for now. If the mod had counted ulti's vote, Mastina would have been at L1 on a Sunday when few players are active. I don't like that. Thanks to Smith for unvoting Mastina for the time being, anyway.

I think ulti is either avoiding questions and acting really naive, and therefore would be scum, or is truly very naive even for a first game or is just not mentally up for this game. No avatar, didn't figure out how to vote, can't link to something he read. No logic behind an L1 vote.

@ulti - If you want to play the game, you have to make an effort and learn. And stick your neck out. But don't take someone to L1 without some analysis, and not on a Sunday when very few are playing.

But on the other hand (yes, I like fences, early in the game anyway when few if any of us, me anyway, really doesn't have a firm read on anyone).
Smith said
In post 116, mhsmith0 wrote:
In post 79, Ulti wrote:
Why is everyone's role displayed below their name? Doesn't that make this game really easy for town to win?
Hello everyone! I will be your lynchbait for this game
I fixed your typos. I guess it could be scum with a buddy who didn't advise him (or he didn't bother reading advice, or he's just going for a super awkward derp-clear attempt), but lynchbait is my gut reaction to that bit
Now I'm logging off, hopefully will find a few minutes this afternoon to check back in and react to reactions to my post.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #288 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:21 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

are we really going to do this mastina?
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #289 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:17 am

Post by PenguinPower »

Vote Count 1.09

Ulti
(3): -Grey-, mhsmith0, aa-dono
mastina
(2): oldwino, DogWatch
oldwino
(1): mastina
-Grey-
(1): RadiantCowbells

Not Voting
: JustDanceWorld, Ulti
With 9 alive, it's 5 to lynch.

Deadline
: (expired on 2017-03-15 06:05:00)
Last edited by PenguinPower on Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
<(") | (")>
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #290 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:18 am

Post by PenguinPower »

DogWatch and JustDanceWorld are being prodded.
Last edited by PenguinPower on Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
<(") | (")>
-Grey-
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #291 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:03 am

Post by -Grey- »

In post 286, aa-dono wrote:Oh yep. I used to ask a lot of questions. I tried to reduce it since they were deemed scummy actions and something along the line "asked too many questions, but give few opinions".
Ask your questions, just be sure to do something with the answers.
---
DogWatch
DogWatch
Goon
DogWatch
Goon
Goon

Post Post #292 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:16 am

Post by DogWatch »

Gut (there's that word again) tells me there's little chance Mastina and Ulti are scumbuddies. If Mastina is scum, then she's coaching behind the scenes, and there's no way Ulti would come up with such a terrible vote (on his own scumbuddy no less) if they're conversing outside this thread.

That leaves the possibilities that Mastina is actually town and Ulti is scum, or they're both town and Ulti is barking up the wrong tree.

Gut insists Ulti just doesn't know what he's doing yet (says a lot coming from me) and sheeped a bit on those of us who did vote Mastina.

I still need to sort through the novels Mastina has posted in this thread (busy weekend, haven't been keeping up) but for right now, my vote stays on her. Not joining the Ulti wagon yet.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #293 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:19 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

there's no coaching behind the scenes without daychat
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #294 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:20 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

Dogwatch probtown.

Edit: @RC: and this is why :P
Show
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Mhsmith0
Conq: you, sir, are great at being town.
BATMAN: Only jugg was the only one we didn’t scum read at least not me
Quick: There is little to no chance this slot is Power-Wolfing.
SR: I want to give him a day
Life is simply unfair, don't you think?
DogWatch
DogWatch
Goon
DogWatch
Goon
Goon

Post Post #295 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:25 am

Post by DogWatch »

I've never heard of scum not being able to chat during day phases. Nevermind on that point then.
DogWatch
DogWatch
Goon
DogWatch
Goon
Goon

Post Post #296 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:27 am

Post by DogWatch »

In post 215, mastina wrote: I'm telling you to read my opening two posts with a critical eye. While they were typed before I had received an alignment, they are not null. That might seem like an impossibility to you--how can a post typed before I received an alignment possibly be an indicator of my alignment? But that's why I'm asking you to view my posts and really, really
think
about them. There's not a contradiction between my statements of it being alignment-indicative and being typed before I got an alignment. Both halves are relevant to the game, containing an answer you're seeking in my posting.
My best guess is that it's something to do with this in relation to the Grey/Radiant spat earlier:
In post 48, mastina wrote: As town, I'll try to defuse heated debates I feel are counterproductive, but if I feel they could be useful, I'll let them continue and weigh in only when I feel it gives something useful. (Often, one leads to another.)

As scum, I'll direct the spotlight so that town are fighting town. I'll still give commentary on it, just like as town, but I won't try to defuse town-town debates, because I need town to lynch town.
DogWatch
DogWatch
Goon
DogWatch
Goon
Goon

Post Post #297 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:29 am

Post by DogWatch »

If not, then I give up on this goose chase you've sent me on.
DogWatch
DogWatch
Goon
DogWatch
Goon
Goon

Post Post #298 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:40 am

Post by DogWatch »

And if so, I really don't see you trying to diffuse anything. You largely didn't enter that argument at all, preferring to talk about your reads and other odds and ends. So, unless I'm missing something big (and it's always possible that I am), that points to your scum self.
oldwino
oldwino
Goon
oldwino
Goon
Goon

Post Post #299 (ISO) » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:20 am

Post by oldwino »

Paraphrased from the sample roles-

Goons share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You also share a factional PT, located here, where
you may talk during night phases only.

So Mastina and Ulti cannot be talking privately during the day. They may have talked after role assignments but before the thread opened to everyone, but the mod activated the game quickly (overnight for most of us) so I think there's only a slim chance they had an opportunity to plan before D1 began. I'm still leaning and voting on Mastina because I think Ulti is so new/naive and made his vote decision in a panic because he was being pressured to contribute and didn't know what else to do.

I'm not defending Ulti. I think he is just really weak, naive town, who hasn't read the rules (or responding to my 'prod' about not avatar, etc. etc.). He is contributing so little he wouldn't be much of a loss to town, but even a weak town player still in the game is better for town than his being lynched. And if Mastina is scum, she's a very dangerous one because she is so experienced.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”