oldwino
oldwino
Goon
oldwino
Goon
Goon

Post Post #550 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:23 am

Post by oldwino »

I value experienced conftown's thoughts, etc. and would like Icy to contribute as much as able because we know they are town-driven. But it's also true everyone needs to participate and generate as much dialog, logic, etc. as possible in an effort to expose scum, especially in retrospect during D2 and beyond. No one gets a free pass. Anyone loitering is suspect. In my first game, I voted mostly based on fewest posts - so of course I help lynch townies on D1 and D2 and town lost fast. So I'm looking at content now, scum-hunting content, and don't find much anywhere. Will focus on ISOing everyone and counting scum hunting posts, overly defensive posts, and 'avoidance' posts.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #551 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:24 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

Now, here's a game-relevant challenge for people: what do I think of mastina? Why do you think I think it?
Show
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Mhsmith0
Conq: you, sir, are great at being town.
BATMAN: Only jugg was the only one we didn’t scum read at least not me
Quick: There is little to no chance this slot is Power-Wolfing.
SR: I want to give him a day
Life is simply unfair, don't you think?
Darklyn
Darklyn
Goon
Darklyn
Goon
Goon

Post Post #552 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:33 am

Post by Darklyn »

In post 548, mhsmith0 wrote:Scum-hunting and town-hunting only really work when everyone is taking ownership of the need to solve.
False, there are many ways to play the game.
In post 548, mhsmith0 wrote:To the extent that you push responsibility onto a cleared slot, you're denying town important information about connections
False, you can gleam a lot from how players react to the cleared slot
In post 548, mhsmith0 wrote:I believe that d1 is the mafia's hardest day. They will leave a legacy of clues on this day specifically that will help you throughout the game.
Very very very false, day 1 is objectively easier for scum than any other day because there have been no flips, no murders, no night actions, there are more players in the game so they have less probability of getting themselves lynched. Day 1 is the point in the game where the town has the least information which gives scum the advantage, saying otherwise is just an outright lie and misleading the town. VOTE: mhsmith0
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #553 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:37 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 552, Darklyn wrote:Day 1 is the point in the game where the town has the least information which gives scum the advantage, saying otherwise is just an outright lie and misleading the town
1) Are you a newbie?
2) Did you miss the whole quote? Did you miss my making the point that it is very hard for mafia to avoid leaving a trail of clues behind that will help town throughout the rest of the game?
3) Do you think that I would be objectively lying about mafia theory as an IC in my IC post?
viewtopic.php?p=8468553#p8468553
viewtopic.php?p=8468554#p8468554
were my IC posts in my most recent completed game as IC (I was town btw), and you can explicitly see that very point in the post.

So is your vote based on anything other than "I disagree with you about mafia theory"?
Show
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #554 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:43 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

In a bit more detail:
In post 552, Darklyn wrote:
In post 548, mhsmith0 wrote:Scum-hunting and town-hunting only really work when everyone is taking ownership of the need to solve.
False, there are many ways to play the game.
There are many ways to play the game. Many of those ways are bad. If you disagree, feel free to browse the discussions about how dumb towns tend to be and how much help game designers need to give them for them to have a reasonable chance at winning. If you doubt such discussions exist, I'd be happy to link them.
In post 548, mhsmith0 wrote:To the extent that you push responsibility onto a cleared slot, you're denying town important information about connections
False, you can gleam a lot from how players react to the cleared slot
This is somewhat true, but limited. Scum and town both know that a cleared slot is clear, so there's less difference between how either would treat such a slot, since both know that the slot is clear (scum might have a bit more incentive to buddy or manipulate, but that's generally not going to be done in a super obvious manner). Comparatively, you can generally gleam MORE from how players react to non-cleared slots by reading back after flips.
In post 548, mhsmith0 wrote:I believe that d1 is the mafia's hardest day. They will leave a legacy of clues on this day specifically that will help you throughout the game.
Very very very false, day 1 is objectively easier for scum than any other day because there have been no flips, no murders, no night actions, there are more players in the game so they have less probability of getting themselves lynched. Day 1 is the point in the game where the town has the least information which gives scum the advantage, saying otherwise is just an outright lie and misleading the town. VOTE: mhsmith0
Discussed in detail already. If you disagree you need to have substance behind it instead of "I disagree, you must be lying, you must be scum" as if somehow I would actually lie to you about mafia theory as scum in a newbie game (even as a non-IC slot I wouldn't do that, both because of ethics and because of how generally stupid that would be).

The obvious conclusion here is that I actually believe this, and then the question is whether I'm telling you something I actually believe to be true due to town motivation or scum motivation (something that you're choosing not to engage with currently).
Show
Darklyn
Darklyn
Goon
Darklyn
Goon
Goon

Post Post #555 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:45 am

Post by Darklyn »

If you're not lying, then you have a flawed playstyle, I mean you can play that way if you want but please don't give that advice to others, it's terrible
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #556 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:46 am

Post by PenguinPower »

Vote Count 1.14

mhsmith0
(3): mastina, DogWatch, Darklyn
Darklyn
(2): RadiantCowbells, pieg
mastina
(1): oldwino
pieg
(1): mhsmith0

Not Voting
: Icy, -Grey-
With 9 alive, it's 5 to lynch.

Deadline
: (expired on 2017-03-15 06:05:00)

Last edited by PenguinPower on Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
<(") | (")>
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #557 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:48 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 555, Darklyn wrote:If you're not lying, then you have a flawed playstyle, I mean you can play that way if you want but please don't give that advice to others, it's terrible
Nonsense. I mean, yes, I have flaws in my playstyle, but that certainly isn't one of them. It is objectively true that day 1 is actually difficult for scum, not because they're unlikely to achieve a mislynch (obviously d1 mislynches are common) but because it is really hard for them to behave in a manner that doesn't eventually attract a lot of suspicion to themselves as the game progresses and flips make things clearer (this is especially true after the first scum lynch by the way). This is simply fact.
Show
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #558 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:51 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

Now, you've represented yourself as being very much a non-newbie, so I'm curious where you've gained enough experience to have this theory that you seem confident in. I'm presuming you're an off-site player; which site (or sites) in particular are you from?
Show
Darklyn
Darklyn
Goon
Darklyn
Goon
Goon

Post Post #559 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:57 am

Post by Darklyn »

In post 557, mhsmith0 wrote:
In post 555, Darklyn wrote:If you're not lying, then you have a flawed playstyle, I mean you can play that way if you want but please don't give that advice to others, it's terrible
it is really hard for them to behave in a manner that doesn't eventually attract a lot of suspicion to themselves as the game progresses and flips make things clearer
You're making a strange implication here. I've seen plenty of games where scum avoided suspicion all game... and mafia victories are common enough so the numbers don't agree with you either. You're not presenting facts here, you're just giving an opinion.
In post 558, mhsmith0 wrote:Now, you've represented yourself as being very much a non-newbie, so I'm curious where you've gained enough experience to have this theory that you seem confident in. I'm presuming you're an off-site player; which site (or sites) in particular are you from?
Just on other forums, I am new to this website
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #560 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:04 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 559, Darklyn wrote:
In post 557, mhsmith0 wrote:
it is really hard for them to behave in a manner that doesn't eventually attract a lot of suspicion to themselves as the game progresses and flips make things clearer
You're making a strange implication here. I've seen plenty of games where scum avoided suspicion all game... and mafia victories are common enough so the numbers don't agree with you either. You're not presenting facts here, you're just giving an opinion.
And they avoid suspicion because:
  • townies don't bother to go back and re-read stuff
  • townies allow day 1's to be lazy in part because they figure they won't get a lynch anyway
  • townies over-rely on power roles and night actions to save them
  • as I directly posted,
    If things are going badly for a town as they move into d3, d4, d5 there is more and more 'sludge' in thread - townies posting garbage, getting into fights, confirmation bias written large etc etc. The mafia have all sorts of camoflage to mask their insincerity
  • etc
As far as presenting an opinion goes, you're absolutely correct. It is my opinion. An informed one that comes from quoting players that I greatly respect, to boot. The basis of your objection so far seems to be "well I disagree" and "well scum get easy wins sometimes", neither of which seem to be substantive.

That said, that's getting a bit off-topic. What do you believe my scum motivation is for pushing a theory that I clearly believe in and that you don't?
In post 558, mhsmith0 wrote:Now, you've represented yourself as being very much a non-newbie, so I'm curious where you've gained enough experience to have this theory that you seem confident in. I'm presuming you're an off-site player; which site (or sites) in particular are you from?
Just on other forums, I am new to this website
And I'm asking you which one or ones.
Show
Darklyn
Darklyn
Goon
Darklyn
Goon
Goon

Post Post #561 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:22 am

Post by Darklyn »

townies don't bother to go back and re-read stuff
An assumption, but even if it's true, so what? Not every player has the time to re-read every page of content, and for some it's just not their playstyle.
townies allow day 1's to be lazy in part because they figure they won't get a lynch anyway
Not lazy, there is a certain level where the game gets bloated in posts which isn't helpful for the town. There's 22 pages so far, how many do you need to be satisfied?
townies over-rely on power roles and night actions to save them
They're one of the few ways to get reliable information to the game
Why do you care? It's not relevant to the game
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #562 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:29 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 561, Darklyn wrote:...
townies over-rely on power roles and night actions to save them
They're one of the few ways to get reliable information to the game
Mafiascum has a site meta of (trying to) emphasize the day game and scum-hunting, and relying less on night/PR actions. PR actions are limited in scope and functionality, and as such should generally not be relied on overmuch in MS games (though of course some people DO over-rely on them, sometimes to especially brutal effect when scum make an effective fake claim late game or in LYLO).
Why do you care? It's not relevant to the game
because I want to know how credible it is that you believe this theory you're peddling. I'm guessing you're from some super PR heavy place like epicmafia or town of salem?
Show
Darklyn
Darklyn
Goon
Darklyn
Goon
Goon

Post Post #563 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:33 am

Post by Darklyn »

In post 562, mhsmith0 wrote:Mafiascum has a site meta of (trying to) emphasize the day game and scum-hunting, and relying less on night/PR actions. PR actions are limited in scope and functionality, and as such should generally not be relied on overmuch in MS games (though of course some people DO over-rely on them, sometimes to especially brutal effect when scum make an effective fake claim late game or in LYLO).
So is scumhunting, that's the point of the game m8

Quote Fixed

-PenguinMod
Last edited by PenguinPower on Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darklyn
Darklyn
Goon
Darklyn
Goon
Goon

Post Post #564 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:33 am

Post by Darklyn »

oh I messed up that quote
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #565 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:34 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 563, Darklyn wrote:So is scumhunting, that's the point of the game m8
Yes, scum-hunting is the point of the game. "let's dump responsibility onto the town clear and hope he gets it right" is not scum-hunting.
Show
Darklyn
Darklyn
Goon
Darklyn
Goon
Goon

Post Post #566 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:36 am

Post by Darklyn »

Are you afraid he might lynch you?
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #567 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:40 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 566, Darklyn wrote:Are you afraid he might lynch you?
That's a question that basically answers itself, don't you think?
In post 484, Icy wrote:My list at this point

Mhsmith
Dogwatch
Oldwino

RC
Pieg
Darklyn

Grey
Mastina
Show
Darklyn
Darklyn
Goon
Darklyn
Goon
Goon

Post Post #568 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:42 am

Post by Darklyn »

Touché
but I'm still voting for you
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #569 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:16 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

And why am I scum again? I'm not lying about theory, and I'm not scared of icy. Why am I scum?
Show
Darklyn
Darklyn
Goon
Darklyn
Goon
Goon

Post Post #570 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:23 am

Post by Darklyn »

Because the mod gave you that role
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #571 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:26 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

So you got nothing?
Show
Darklyn
Darklyn
Goon
Darklyn
Goon
Goon

Post Post #572 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:44 am

Post by Darklyn »

Stop mewling, your day or reckoning is nigh
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #573 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:46 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 571, mhsmith0 wrote:So you got nothing?
In post 572, Darklyn wrote:
Stop mewling, your day or reckoning is nigh
you are correct
I fixed your typos :lol:
Show
Darklyn
Darklyn
Goon
Darklyn
Goon
Goon

Post Post #574 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:51 am

Post by Darklyn »

:neutral: Rude

Return to “Completed Newbie Games”