Newbie 1781 - Game over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:03 am

Post by Huntress »

Vote Count 1.2EccentricLemon (3) - Aatami, rb, Accountant
Creature (2) - EccentricLemon, HighKingDestro
Handsome (1) - Fykus
HighKingDestro (1) - Tarkus
rb (1) - Creature

Not voting (1) - Handsome

With nine players alive, it takes five votes to lynch.

Deadline for Day One is Wednesday, 22nd March 4.30 pm GMT, (in (expired on 2017-03-22 16:30:00)).

WARNING

Talking about ongoing games is not allowed
(except where expressly permitted by the moderator of that game). A detailed explanation of what you can and can't say about ongoing games can be found here. Once a game has been officially declared over by the mod then it's fine to refer to it.
Aatami
Aatami
Townie
Aatami
Townie
Townie

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:05 am

Post by Aatami »

I've only ever played part of one game, dont let my join date fool you lol
I'm not ready to vote lemon, I don't think the set up to tr or sr was intentional, and I want to see a little more.
I didn't like Handsome's opening at all, and there was no follow up, lots of filler, and the mention that he wasn't a noob felt weird? Very calculated.
HighKingDestro
HighKingDestro
Townie
HighKingDestro
Townie
Townie

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:03 pm

Post by HighKingDestro »

In post 97, Tarkus wrote:Destro, I'd like to hear why you vote hopped from lemon to creature, and why you joined the lemon wagon in the first place.

Also I'm not one-shot bulletproof.

The claim strategy is laid out here in game 1775 by RadiantCowbells, if you don't know what we're doing:
Spoiler:
So, over the last few months while I was not playing Mafia I have been working on strategies to up town's winrate in this setup and since I have finally rolled town I am going to put them into action.
The correct play at the beginning of D1 in this setup is for the 1-Shot Bulletproof, if any, to claim. This helps town immensely in numerous setups. Why am I advocating this?

1) It is fucking insane for scum to try to claim 1-shot BP in this situation. It is an insane risk play which forces a 1v1 in 5/6 setups and gets minor towncred in 1/6.
2) If the setup is Roleblocker/Jailkeeper/1-Shot BP, it's easy for the BP claim to be disbelieved. The claim coming at the start of the game makes it far more trustworthy.
3) If the setup is Tracker/1-Shot BP/Goon, the Tracker knows that there is no doc and can be a lot safer on claiming. Note that mathematically the correct play is to target the outed tracker if the other PR is not known; so little potential gain is made here.
4) If the setup is Tracker/Doc/Goon, a living tracker will know by the lack of a BP claim that there is a doctor. He can then claim safely and be doctor protected the entire game. Which sucks because I'm going to get guaranteed nightkilled but I'll get over it.

Since the 1-Shot Bulletproof doesn't actually net town a mislynch by being hit it is not actually specifically valuable for it to bait the hit.
This does come at the cost of narrowing down the game possibilities for scum: but I believe that the reward is well worth the price.
lol, Accountant said Lemons claimed scum, and I assumed I missed that post:facepalm:
Then I reread the thread, and came to the conclusion Creature is scum. Reread it yourself, focus on Creature
HighKingDestro
HighKingDestro
Townie
HighKingDestro
Townie
Townie

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:10 pm

Post by HighKingDestro »

In post 101, Aatami wrote: I'm not ready to vote lemon
Worth noting that he already has voted for Lemon...
Fykus
Fykus
Mafia Scum
Fykus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:27 pm

Post by Fykus »

Hey destro any chance of you letting us know if your 1 shot bp or not please?
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:56 pm

Post by Accountant »

In post 102, HighKingDestro wrote:
In post 97, Tarkus wrote:Destro, I'd like to hear why you vote hopped from lemon to creature, and why you joined the lemon wagon in the first place.

The claim strategy is laid out here in game 1775 by RadiantCowbells, if you don't know what we're doing:
Spoiler:
So, over the last few months while I was not playing Mafia I have been working on strategies to up town's winrate in this setup and since I have finally rolled town I am going to put them into action.
The correct play at the beginning of D1 in this setup is for the 1-Shot Bulletproof, if any, to claim. This helps town immensely in numerous setups. Why am I advocating this?

1) It is fucking insane for scum to try to claim 1-shot BP in this situation. It is an insane risk play which forces a 1v1 in 5/6 setups and gets minor towncred in 1/6.
2) If the setup is Roleblocker/Jailkeeper/1-Shot BP, it's easy for the BP claim to be disbelieved. The claim coming at the start of the game makes it far more trustworthy.
3) If the setup is Tracker/1-Shot BP/Goon, the Tracker knows that there is no doc and can be a lot safer on claiming. Note that mathematically the correct play is to target the outed tracker if the other PR is not known; so little potential gain is made here.
4) If the setup is Tracker/Doc/Goon, a living tracker will know by the lack of a BP claim that there is a doctor. He can then claim safely and be doctor protected the entire game. Which sucks because I'm going to get guaranteed nightkilled but I'll get over it.

Since the 1-Shot Bulletproof doesn't actually net town a mislynch by being hit it is not actually specifically valuable for it to bait the hit.
This does come at the cost of narrowing down the game possibilities for scum: but I believe that the reward is well worth the price.
lol, Accountant said Lemons claimed scum, and I assumed I missed that post:facepalm:
Then I reread the thread, and came to the conclusion Creature is scum. Reread it yourself, focus on Creature
We found Lemons' scumbuddy.
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:58 pm

Post by Accountant »

VOTE: Destro

This has an even higher chance of flipping scum than Lemons, because if Lemons is scum then 102 seems like an attempt to protect a buddy while throwing a vote on them that quickly vanishes to look good. And if Lemons is town it seems like scum pocketing town.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:59 pm

Post by Accountant »

In post 101, Aatami wrote:I've only ever played part of one game, dont let my join date fool you lol
I'm not ready to vote lemon, I don't think the set up to tr or sr was intentional, and I want to see a little more.
I didn't like Handsome's opening at all, and there was no follow up, lots of filler, and the mention that he wasn't a noob felt weird? Very calculated.
I don't think it was intentional either. I think it was unconscious hesitancy to commit hard to a read on a player as scum. As in, I don't necessarily think Lemon is scum who rubs his hands together in glee and goes "mwahaha, this is my secret scheme to avoid giving a read on someone", I think Lemon is just newbie scum who feels a little intimidated playing scum and took the "safe" read when asked to give opinion. If you see what I mean?

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:00 pm

Post by Accountant »

@Aatami: If you dislike Handsome's opening because of that why are you not voting rb? Also how does mentioning that you're not a noob help him if he's scum? I think scum likes to pretend to be newbie so if they slip up people will dismiss it as them being noob, so declaring openly that they're not a newb seems pointless.

Aatami
Aatami
Townie
Aatami
Townie
Townie

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:18 pm

Post by Aatami »

In post 103, HighKingDestro wrote:
In post 101, Aatami wrote: I'm not ready to vote lemon
Worth noting that he already has voted for Lemon...
If you could use they or no pronouns for me thatd be great!
Also why do you think that is worth noting? Do you really think poiting that out is abt my alignment and not just me forgetting to move an RVS?
Thats a good point Accountant i think for me it was more about the lack of follow up, like its true you cant use that but I feel saying it with continuation, but i cant say why, may have just been part of a gut feel. I also liked what else rb has posted, whereas I have nothing to go on for handsome
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:21 pm

Post by Accountant »

Could be, I guess, but it's likely they're just flaking/busy than something genuinely scummy. What do you think about Lemon now that you've read 107?

Aatami
Aatami
Townie
Aatami
Townie
Townie

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:31 pm

Post by Aatami »

I still feel pretty neutral? Idk Im not sure what Im looking for but I dont think any of this is very scummy, and the trs i have arent much stronger.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:33 pm

Post by Accountant »

In post 111, Aatami wrote:I still feel pretty neutral? Idk Im not sure what Im looking for but I dont think any of this is very scummy, and the trs i have arent much stronger.
Why is Destro not scummy?

Aatami
Aatami
Townie
Aatami
Townie
Townie

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:52 pm

Post by Aatami »

Hes definitely not town for me atm, i dont like his lack of explanations and his vote switch, which i guess is a lot of things to not like but I feel that i could attribute it to being new? I just really want to see more from a lot of people so i can trust my preliminary thoughts more. if you think putting a vote somewhere i find scummy is appropriate ill do that, i just dont want to misuse my vote
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:13 pm

Post by Accountant »

You're misusing your vote if you leave it in RVS. And voting people makes pressure on them, which makes them talk more, which is what you want. So you should vote him.

Aatami
Aatami
Townie
Aatami
Townie
Townie

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:16 pm

Post by Aatami »

Okay, thanks
VOTE: HighKingDestro
rb
rb
Survivor
rb
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:00 pm

Post by rb »

V/LA for weekend btw
rb
rb
Survivor
rb
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:01 pm

Post by rb »

(In my timezone, it is weekend)
rb
rb
Survivor
rb
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:04 pm

Post by rb »

In post 113, Aatami wrote:Hes definitely not town for me atm, i dont like his lack of explanations and his vote switch, which i guess is a lot of things to not like but I feel that i could attribute it to being new? I just really want to see more from a lot of people so i can trust my preliminary thoughts more. if you think putting a vote somewhere i find scummy is appropriate ill do that, i just dont want to misuse my vote
Well your vote should always be where you think you're voting for scum. The main thing is figuring out who is scum and who to vote for should then be easy.
rb
rb
Survivor
rb
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:05 pm

Post by rb »

In post 102, HighKingDestro wrote:

Spoiler:

Why's creature scum?
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:23 pm

Post by Accountant »

He wanted to find someone to divert the wagon on his buddy to and picked Creature out of a hat, I reckon.

Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:42 pm

Post by Creature »

I should look at the votes.
Sigh
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:43 pm

Post by Creature »

I am bothered that I still don't feel confident enough to strong townread anyone.
Sigh
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:46 pm

Post by Creature »

Oh right, Destro is at 3 votes.
Sigh
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:47 pm

Post by Accountant »

In post 122, Creature wrote:I am bothered that I still don't feel confident enough to strong townread anyone.
What about scumread?

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”