Newbie 1779 | Spring | Endgame

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #1250 (ISO) » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:17 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 1209, DogWatch wrote:actually considering quitting mafia period, all it does is add stress to my life. It's not fun anymore. and most of this community is completely toxic anyway... seriously some of the worst human beings ive ever interacted with
And let me tell you this. I caught wind of you playing in other games. The rule about talking about ongoing games prevents me from commenting on anything about them, obviously (aside from me mentioning that I have seen you in other games).

But what I
can
tell you is to please have faith. There are some awful people in games, yes. Those are the types of players I honestly tend to avoid as much as I can. There are certain lines I do not cross. I always try to treat a player with respect. I avoid namecalling. I avoid insulting. I avoid calling them out on shit which is not likely to be alignment-indicative. (*coughIcecough*) And there are many more like me.

And outside of games. Outside of games, we are really wonderful people by and large. This community is really supportive--one of THE most supportive communities I've ever been in. I know, that sounds hard to believe, if you've been hanging around inside a game. But think about outside the game. For instance, the Speakeasy (you have to request access in the User Control Panel) is filled to the brim with a ton of people who are loving and caring. (Admittedly it's also filled with shitposting, but people who insult others quickly eat a ban in there and for damn good reason.)

And if that's not viable, if that's not what I promise it to be (admittedly I view a lot of the site through rose-tinted glasses thanks to being a long-time member and I've seen it at its best and worst but tend to filter out the bad and emphasize the good), then there's always the ridiculously fun and open and supportive other games forum. Many, many, MANY scummers have stopped playing mafia but hung around the site. Some exclusively in discussion forums, others near-exclusively as Mish Mash players and I'd highly recommend giving it a chance.

mafiascum is not a cesspool of hatred. Some users may give off the impression it is--and those users tend to quickly find out that they are not thought of too highly for their toxicity and tend to either change their attitude or ragequit or end up banned because they didn't. (Not that those latter two are mutually exclusive.) We are mostly nice people.

We are also just...very, very, very passionate people. And sometimes, our passion leads us to be emotional and when we're emotional we tend to have a slight insensitivity to other people's emotions which leads to a nasty cycle. But that's hopefully when a moderator steps in to resolve a dispute because that's the fucking job of a moderator. Providing votecounts and flips is easy but a computer can do that much. A computer can't automatically handle a volatile dispute the way a mod can.

Give it time. We have the potential, I promise we do.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #1251 (ISO) » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:23 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 1211, DogWatch wrote:a newbie game FILLED WITH EXPERIENCED PLAYERS
I really, really regret this by the way, but as the IC there's not much I can do about it. The IC position is the mandatory experienced player position. I have also hopefully done my job in NOT fucking driving players away and if anything I have done has made you feel unwelcome, then one, I sincerely apologize for it, and two, I'd appreciate you pointing out my contribution to the problem so I can fix it, both here and in any future games I IC.

This many experienced players in a newbie makes the game that much harder for the newbies to handle. We all know it, too. (Which is one reason I feel pieg's replace-out was null.) But since it's happened, there's not much we can really do. If an experienced player scumreads an experienced player, they are going to fight. If an experienced player has a theory dispute with another experienced player, they are going to fight. In a game which is literally over half experienced players, there would be absolutely no way for this to not happen, and it has gotten fairly bad, yes.

But we can't change the makeup of the game. (Heck, you leaving could make it worse if an experienced player takes your slot.) What we
can
do, is try to make the most of what we have on hand. I'm not quite sure what I can give you to accomplish this. But I will do whatever is in my power to assist.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #1252 (ISO) » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:38 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 1218, oldwino wrote:And I do wonder why all of these experienced players want to play newbie games.
Well, there's three basic reasons:
One, to teach. You don't have to be the IC to like to teach, either; a lot of SEs teach even when not given the IC role.
It is also mandatory for the IC to teach. (Though how they do so is largely their discretion.)

Two, to learn. SEs tend to want to gain knowledge. It is also not impossible for an IC to learn. For instance, from this game I have gained ideas for theories to publish, and also have thought of a subject I hadn't given much thought which I feel makes a good MD thread, and this is because I am not omniscient and therefore my understanding of the game can evolve from interacting with others.

Three, to play in a specific environment. Newbies have a lot of factors unique to Newbies: every game is micro-sized. Every game is a semi-open. Every game is hydra-free (I mean to me this is a negative trait but oh well; others see it as a positive). It is the only queue to consistently hold all three of these traits. You can get one of them in micros, another in opens, and a third in Normals, but even there that's not entirely consistent.
Often, it sounds like they are here to show off and play against each other, not help us learn the game.
Technically speaking, the only player required to help you learn the game is the IC. In that regard, I can only say I've done the best I am capable of doing of helping you learn the game. I have given you my perspective on theories, as they become relevant information. I have explained my perspective, and why I feel these things are true. I have also attempted to basically have a one-on-one teaching session with a newbie (DogWatch).

For that matter, I have also engaged another newbie (Icy, albeit admittedly not as much as I probably should). I do admit, I have neglected to directly engage Darklyn (though that's honestly largely because I feel he doesn't need much help) and also you, so if you feel I have not given you as much effort to help you learn as I should, my apologies. (This of course, originating from how different your style is from mine, so it's difficult for me to parse and give input.)

But strictly speaking, the SEs cannot be held to any standard at all. They are allowed to be and do almost whatever they want. (Within reason.) So they are not required to teach, they are not required to help newbies learn. I mean. Frankly, I kind-of
wish
they were. But it's a little bit unfair to expect a person who is still fairly new to pick up that role. For instance, oldwino, next game, you'd be an SE. Would you feel comfortable teaching to the extent, saaaaaay, mhsmith did? Of course not. But SE just means "third game or more, yet not the IC". If you get an SE who has played 30 games, ideally, yes, mandating them helping to teach a newbie would be nice. Yet because the definition of SE is so broad, we can't enforce anything on them.

Basically, what I'm saying here is: if you hold a problem with me, you absolutely
do
need to name my name. Because I am literally the only one who holds an actual, legal requirement to teach as per the laws of mafiascum. So a breach of that conduct from ME is important for me to know about.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #1253 (ISO) » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:45 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 1237, mastina wrote:Siteflaking is null.
Requesting replacement with no justification is--while not a strong indicator of scum--at the very least, sketchy coming from newbies. (This is a newbie-specific tell.)
Yo, mhsmith
, you're the stat nerd.
I'd actually be quite interested in whether what I say here is actually objectively true, but it'd require you to manually track each and every reason for a given slot replacement (not to mention, manually tracking if the holder of the slot is a newbie since this is a newbie-specific tell) which I'm not sure how easy/hard it'd be, but if it's something you
could
do, I'd love to know whether what I'm saying here is backed by hard evidence rather than just personal experience. (Basically it's something that my gut tells me is true: flaking from the game is null, but requesting replacement if a newbie is >random scum.)
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #1254 (ISO) » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:05 pm

Post by mastina »

I'll sum up my posting today since I've done a lot:
///////// lay out ChrisOrmie (and Alisae) suspicion.
/ lay out why interactions are important.
// lay out some defense of points raised against me.
///// deal with game theory, along with appeals to newbies, in particular,
oldwino
and
DogWatch
, asking them what they need for this game.

That's the basic categorization of my posting. (Yes there is overlap, where some posts fall into multiple categories.)
ChrisOrmie
ChrisOrmie
Goon
ChrisOrmie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1255 (ISO) » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:33 pm

Post by ChrisOrmie »

Breaking this up into spoilers so each point is kept to itself without filling the thread with walls and/or pages of smallposts.

Spoiler: Associations vs Interactions - or why does Mastina love contradicting herself?
In post 1222, mastina wrote:Suffice to say: fuck yes I advocate for pre-flip interactions.
Especially since I use the word, very deliberately, interactions.
Associatives I do use, but I use them with caution; Interactions I use consistently and constantly as my strongest scumhunting tool. The two are not synonymous, though I admit I often use the terms interchangeably when engaged in dialogs with others since they will use one term and I'll engage them using the term they have laid out even if the term they use is for me the other of the two. (It's a bad habit I need to break, because I should be consistent if I want to preach them being different.)
Let me get this straight: You are for pre-flip interactions being analysed. Associatives, you agree, are not synonymous with interactions. You engage others using the term they have laid out. You also agree that associatives/associations are something you use with caution.

If you think this way, but post another - that's a scumtell in my book, and something you seem to be accusing me of. I wonder if you contradict this anywhere?
In post 1034, mastina wrote:
In post 1009, Alisae wrote:I'm not looking for buddies atm or
associatives
. That'll be easier to do when we have a scumflip.
Uh-huh.

This is a very convenient excuse to overlook how few scumteams with Grey included on them are actually plausible.
So Ali mentions ASSOCIATIVES, not interactions. Then you go after him for not looking for pre-flip ASSOCIATIVES. You do not mention interactions here at all. Just possible scumteams. ScumTEAMS are found via post-flip ASSOCIATIONS. Individual scum are found with interactions. So you really don't act like you mean interactions at all.
In post 1131, mastina wrote:
In post 1045, Alisae wrote:
In post 1034, mastina wrote:-words about pre-flip
associations
-
Remind me again how I'm supposed to find
assoications
without flips?
By using common fucking sense.

It's called
basic scumhunting.

It's called basic
partner interactions

It's called looking at interactions between players and figuring out which are possible scum and which are not.
Ali again uses ASSOCIATIONS without flips, but you go after him again for it and call it "basic scumhunting". No Mastina, pre-flip associations are NOT "basic scumhunting" - I think you're in the minority with that thinking. At least you use INTERACTIONS for the first time, but it's "partner interactions" - so basically about finding the scumteams (not individual scum) pre-flip. Again a contradiction of your own definitions of the terms.
mastina wrote:
ChrisOrmie is painting the picture that it is bad to do pre-flip interactions analysis
, and that me advocating it is bad-teaching-at-best, scum-lying-at-worst.
Contradiction:
mhsmith, like me, was doing
and advocating
pre-flip interactions analysis.
mastina wrote:So there's DAMN FUCKING GOOD REASON I say that you absolutely are REQUIRED to do
interaction
analysis with unflipped players. You literally are left with no choice. And advocating against doing so is something which is either a scumclaim or frankly SHOULD be a scumclaim for just how ridiculously anti-town it is to throw out probabilities.

You'll note, for instance, that mhsmith, the guy who we mislynched on D1, was doing
interactions
with unflipped players. The player CHRISORNIE IS INSISTING WAS SO TOWN AND SO MUCH OF AN IC THAT MHSMITH WAS APPARENTLY MY EQUAL/SUPERIOR. Was doing
interactions
with unflipped players. Yet
ChrisOrnie is taking the stance here that they are bad.

What do you have to say to
that
?
What indeed can I saw to that? You have me cornered! Well, except for the fact that your point seems to be that I am attacking something I'm blatantly not. I'm scummy for arguing 'x', except I said 'y'. Misrepresentation 101. Not only me, but Ali too.

In which post did either of us say reading
interactions
are bad (pre or post flip)? Sorry, but I only ever said "pre-flip associations". In fact Ali only said "associations". You're the one trying to force us to argue "interactions" are bad. Neither Ali, nor I, are attacking what you are so viciously defending - whilst pointing out to the players how scummy I am for it. Interactions are pretty much the only thing you CAN judge pre-flip, and a lot of day 1's are defined either by pressure wagons, or gambits so that the players have interactions to judge - heck even RVS is designed for that. We never said interactions were bad.

Spoiler: Misrep's and false idols!
Mastina wrote:ChrisOrmie is asking for feedback from living slots on a scumteam.
Contradiction the first:
He does so in spite of insisting it is bad to do pre-flip interactions analysis.
Contradiction the second:
He is not taking into account mhsmith's content and mhsmith's reads/wishes/desires, particularly those near mhsmith's death.
I'd like to point out I never asked anyone else for a scumteam, I actually said what my most likely would be, and then clarified it by saying I wanted the two confTown and the one strongly reading the Grey/TB slot for more input on it. The only reason I even mention "scumteam" is because you tried to say what my "scumteams" were and why they were bad. I responded in kind, somewhat sarcastically using the term, refuting your point. It was more who my scumreads are - "Mastina and one of DogWatch or Grey/TBslot". I agree the meaning isn't 100% clear, my own fault there - probably should have used italics or something to make it stand out. But regardless of my meaning, you are saying I asked for feedback on a scumteam which is just not true. You like putting words and meanings into my mouth, don't you scum?

I've pointed out your contradictions on the pre-flip interaction/association debacle your pushing. Your other issue is that you think I'm not reading Smith like I should if I rate him highly. That seems to come from the fact he's doubted the likelihood of one of those teams (Mastina+Grey):
Mastina wrote:
ChrisOrmie wrote:
Mastina wrote:This is basically calling the scumteam two of mastina/oldwino/DogWatch, thanks to Icy and Darklyn being conftown. Alisae's stance that the Grey slot is scum and ignoring associatives is pretty bad...but whichever of the three scumteams Chris has in mind is arguably even worse.
My scumteams atm are actually Mastina and one of DogWatch or Grey/TBslot.
And why are you ignoring the input of dead flipped town on how likely the partnership is? Specifically, you say how good mhsmith's play was. You say how obvtown his play was. You cite, you reference, how good he is at every step of the way:
so why are you ignoring his actual fucking CONTENT?
I'm not infallible, and neither is Smith - I believe I pointed him out for his explanation's and thought process (ie go read his wiki - full of where he messed up but explains it in detail and betters himself for next time... we need a TON more of this on the site imo), not because he's a godlike mafia being that is never wrong (seriously read his wiki, he's often saying how bad he played or why his reads were wrong :lol:). I liked his play d1 when he was under pressure, and I don't know why RC didn't read the town vibes. I think the best way to find town on day one is to wagon people and see how they react, the tone and attitude usually goes a long way to helping narrow the scumpool down. From the outside the interaction seemed TvT to me (another reason I townread the Ali/RC slot - not just Ali, but RC too, the slot has been towning it up). You seem to be saying here that ignoring Smith's reasons for why you and GreyTBslot cannot be scum together contradicts my respect for him. Here is his read on the situation:
In post 29, mhsmith0 wrote:
In post 28, -Grey- wrote: The only valid argument on this issue is the one our IC presented in
Also grey has apparently spewed me town if he turns out to be scum, unless you think he'd fake derp clear a connection to his buddy (and it would need to be super intentional unless he's the sort who'd totally ignore what his buddy is saying in thread). Also grey/Mastina unlikely scum buddies for the same reason, unless one of them is the sort to suggest a fake derp clear sort of thing there ( I admit to not being familiar enough with her to *know* that she wouldn't do that as a pregame strategy, but again it seems unlikely - I'd also think it totally odd for scum!grey to flagrantly ignore what someone voting on scum!mastina is saying, not so much because I know him in partuclar as because I wouldn't expect it of much of anyone).
So Grey can't be scum with Mastina because they'd have needed to suggest a "fake derp clear" pre-game? Possible - unless you consider that since Smith acts like an IC even when he's not, that Grey just thought that he was and made an honest mistake. Occam's razor suggests to me that it's the most likely scenario, and the only one I can understand the logic of. It's a strange gambit by Grey if he's scum - it's even stranger if he's town. The only benefit seems to come (by Smith's suggestion) if Grey is scum with either Smith or Mastina and are setting up a WIFOM gambit. I don't see the logic or benefit behind drawing attention to a scumpartner like this, early in the game, with such a bold and unlikely plan. So if this is an honest mistake of not realising who was IC for this game, as it seems to be that way, then it's NAI and does not rule out either scumteam as a possibility to me.

Just because I love the way Smith thinks, and his self-analysis, does not mean I always agree with him, nor should I still sheep him when I see flaws in his thinking. ScumGrey does not mean TownMastina or TownSmith at all. TownGrey does not mean ScumMastina or ScumSmith either. It's the definition of NotAlignmentIndicative.

@Mastina: I understand you're scared your wagon grew and dismantled the one you build on Ali so quickly - and you really should be - but please stop contradicting yourself, and stop misrepresenting me. I'm not going to let you get away with that kind of crap. :P

Now that I've dealt with caughtScum, can people actually give me reads on the TB/DogWatch slots? I am fairly certain the other scum in in this pile, and it's time we sorted through it!

@TB - Who is top of your readlist, and who is bottom? Why do you think Alisae is scum, not town who is wrong about you?
@OldWino - What do you think of the DogWatch-slot?
@DogWatch - You seem similar to me (experienced offsite, newbie here), but I'm finding it tough to see your thought process. Can you walk me through your read on your pick of Mastina or Ali (or both slots)?

Spoiler: My current reads
{TOWN}
Icy, Dark (both uncc'd PR)
{TOWNLEAN}
Ali (RC and Ali's tone, scumhunting, RC vs Smith interaction), Wino (scumhunting, good theories, tone, gut feel, good questions and analysis, not around enough)
{NULL}
Dog (good questions, disappears, difficult to read)
{SCUMLEAN}
TB (Grey's "softing"/tracker-claim-advice/meta-debate, tone of slot, TB's reactions to Ali's wagon dismantle)
{SCUM}
Mastina (Bad lynch theory, contradictions, misreps, setting up mislynches, tonal disconnect)
Ride forth you merry gentlemen of yore and tell the lords of Hades that we come for to claim their heads in the names of vengeance and righteousness!
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #1256 (ISO) » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:34 pm

Post by Alisae »

Dog townslipped like 20 times I really don't see how you aren't TRing that slot.
GTKAS
| here.
ChrisOrmie
ChrisOrmie
Goon
ChrisOrmie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1257 (ISO) » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:54 pm

Post by ChrisOrmie »

In post 1256, Alisae wrote:Dog townslipped like 20 times I really don't see how you aren't TRing that slot.
ISO'd them three times. Some good posts, none I can't see big scum motivation for faking. In my experience 'Scumslips' are more often made by town, 'Townslips' are fairly often faked by scum. I treat them as NAI unless there is more to back it up.

When sorting slots I normally go off tone, matching intent to content, and being able to follow someone's thought process. Dog has good tone but not a ton of posts, can't get inside their head to see the thought process, and without that I can't really tell the intent behind the content. I can see what my town motivation for those posts might be, and what my scum motivation might be. Dog is experienced but new here (like me) so I can put myself in her shoes, but without more to go off, I can't judge her intent.

I really need more content from them, something I can follow and see if it feels genuine or is manufactured.
Ride forth you merry gentlemen of yore and tell the lords of Hades that we come for to claim their heads in the names of vengeance and righteousness!
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #1258 (ISO) » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:54 pm

Post by Alisae »

Nah I doubt they're faked here.
GTKAS
| here.
Icy
Icy
Goon
Icy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1259 (ISO) » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:19 am

Post by Icy »

In post 1239, mastina wrote:
In post 1192, Icy wrote:Your game play is questionable. but your excuses are worse
That was a sitewide post, and posted word-for-word in two other games. (Go check my sitewide posts if you don't believe me, because it's fucking there and would take you literally ten seconds to verify it wasn't just in here I said that.)

Still think it was a fucking excuse?

Like I said.
Don't. fucking. question. Real. life.
First off I hope your kitty is ok. Now back to the game.

No idea what you are talking about "Statewide post"

Not really sure once again if it's my posting style or you wanting to discredit what I say.
I. believe. you. have. real. life. issues. All humans do.
The problem is you posting consistency. You claim you will do things and then don't.
Today was no time to post, but once at L-1, all of a sudden unlimited time to post. I don't understand.
Icy
Icy
Goon
Icy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1260 (ISO) » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:38 am

Post by Icy »

Did anyone else catch this!
In post 1139, mastina wrote:For what it's worth, if ThinkBig
doesn't
deliver a metric fuckton of good content relatively soon,
I
will be lynching him.

Ready for the metric fuckton of good content

wait for it.....

In post 1165, ThinkBig wrote:VOTE: Alisae

Ah well, I never did understand the metric system. but I thought a "fuckton" would be more. In any case it was good enough for Mastina.
Icy
Icy
Goon
Icy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1261 (ISO) » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:52 am

Post by Icy »

One more quick thing then I got to go. Mastina, and TB want us to believe the quick train on Mastina is scum.

1st vote Chris (just entered the game) more on him later

2nd vote Me (confirmed town)

3rd vote Dog (locktown? is that what everyone is calling her)

4th vote Alisae (been on Mastina/Grey sense entering the game)

Chris could only hope a train would form when he placed his vote, and they say Alisaes vote was opportunistic. Personally I would have been more concerned if Alisae hadn't moved her vote.
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1262 (ISO) » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:37 am

Post by PenguinPower »

Prodding Darklyn
Last edited by PenguinPower on Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
<(") | (")>
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1263 (ISO) » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:42 am

Post by PenguinPower »

Vote Count 2.08

mastina
(3): ChrisOrmie, Icy, Alisae
Alisae
(3): mastina, Darklyn, ThinkBig
ThinkBig
(1): oldwino

Not Voting
: Dogwatch
With 8 alive, it's 5 to lynch.

Deadline
: (expired on 2017-03-31 13:00:00)

<(") | (")>
DogWatch
DogWatch
Goon
DogWatch
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1264 (ISO) » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:02 am

Post by DogWatch »

A few scattered thoughts. Sorry I don't have much of a clear narrative in this game, which is what Chris is asking me for.

- I cautiously liked mastina's 1246 when I read it, although I was also making the assumption here that Mastina NEVER buses despite teaching others it's a bad thing to do. It wouldn't be the first time mastina has instructed someone (me in this game actually) to do as she SAYS, not as she DOES. So there's that.

- She also says it's not POSSIBLE for her to be on a scumteam in this game. But that's an exaggeration. She COULD be scum with ThinkBig based on her earlier logic. So, that's shaky, but hang on..

- I liked the end of that post. It really does look as though scum is driving the wagon. But Icy brings up a good point in 1261. Two of the votes are clearly town. The other two are possible scum, but do we really think Alisae would make it so obvious he jumped his scumbuddy's wagon? I dunno.

So, it's sounding like the two most likely scum pairings are:

Mastina/ThinkBig
Alisae/Chris

I'm a painfully indecisive player, as you might have noticed, and I flip back and forth a lot. I started this game scumreading mastina, and was later swayed by her lengthy explanations which at least SEEMED legit to a newbie like me who has little time to investigate just how true they really are.

And I can say I'm still not convinced either way. I need to break down Chris's 1255.
DogWatch
DogWatch
Goon
DogWatch
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1265 (ISO) » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:12 am

Post by DogWatch »

In post 1248, mastina wrote:I know town players don't do NKA.
Why?
DogWatch
DogWatch
Goon
DogWatch
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1266 (ISO) » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:41 am

Post by DogWatch »

Eh, just tried going through Chris's recent posts. To be honest, I had a hard time really following all of it but I'm getting a gut feeling that mastina is using lots of weaselly words and reasoning to make herself sound correct, and that seems to be Chris's main point. I like Chris's tone more, but I'm not SOLD either way still.

I can picture both of them being town and scum at the same time.

Unless one of them makes a spectacular mistake (unlikely), I feel like I'm just going to keep going back and forth on this.

@mastina, can you walk me through again why a scum team with you on it wouldn't kill Darklyn?
oldwino
oldwino
Goon
oldwino
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1267 (ISO) » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:02 am

Post by oldwino »

I'm catching up bit by bit. Have an hour or two a day to play this GAME. Catching up with posts, much less thinking about them and then writing a coherent post takes more than that hour or two.

Anyway, as I read posts, others' reactions to posts, review votes counts and changes, and try to judge who is truthful and who is blowing smoke and who is keeping their heads low, I still suspect any of the four I've suspected in recent days, probably suspected soon after we moved out of RVS and Dark claimed. Dark was a high scum lean for me, so I was surprised by his claim and that changed my thinking on a couple of other players too. But I still think his logic is flawed so will not sheep his votes. Icy, on the other hand, seems to have logic I resonate with so trust her leads.

My four scum leads are still TB/Grey, Mastina, Ali/RC, and Chris/Lemon. Dog is still an outside possibility.

Anyway, Alisae disappoints me here. The Grey slot, TB, had 2 votes (me and Ali) and Mastina PROMISED in 1139 to vote him if he didn't provide meaningful info soon, which he has not done. So, Alisae, if your vote stayed on Grey, he could be at L2 if Mastina kept her word. And I think others would have followed and TB/Grey would be at L1 instead of Mastina.
In post 1201, Alisae wrote:VOTE: mastina
If I can't get the Grey slot, I'll go get mastina.
I don't like that the wagon formed on Mastina so quickly, even though she is my #2 scum read (still possible to be buddies with TB/Grey, despite how things may appear).

Anyone want to come back to th Grey/TB wagon?
oldwino
oldwino
Goon
oldwino
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1268 (ISO) » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:07 am

Post by oldwino »

In post 1236, ThinkBig wrote:@mastina, thanks for that information. I did some browsing in the archives and found that day 1 scum lynches were more likely to result in a scum win than a town win.
Yeah, but games with a D1 town lynch were probably ALSO more likely to have a scum win. Don't scum win most of the time, especially in newbie games?
oldwino
oldwino
Goon
oldwino
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1269 (ISO) » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:21 am

Post by oldwino »

@ Mastina,
Thanks for your response to my post about having too many experienced players, who dominate, in newbie games.
Our styles are very different but I still appreciate your commitment to teaching.

IMO - MS needs to have some non-newbie matrix 6 games, since they seem to be so popular with experienced players. And maybe only allow three experienced players in each newbie game, one IC and two SE's, and not allow anyone with more than 3-4-5 games completed to join even as a replacement. That way, newbies would not feel so overwhelmed (and often inferior).
In post 1252, mastina wrote:
In post 1218, oldwino wrote:And I do wonder why all of these experienced players want to play newbie games.
Well, there's three basic reasons:
One, to teach. You don't have to be the IC to like to teach, either; a lot of SEs teach even when not given the IC role.
It is also mandatory for the IC to teach. (Though how they do so is largely their discretion.)

Two, to learn. SEs tend to want to gain knowledge. It is also not impossible for an IC to learn. For instance, from this game I have gained ideas for theories to publish, and also have thought of a subject I hadn't given much thought which I feel makes a good MD thread, and this is because I am not omniscient and therefore my understanding of the game can evolve from interacting with others.

Three, to play in a specific environment. Newbies have a lot of factors unique to Newbies: every game is micro-sized. Every game is a semi-open. Every game is hydra-free (I mean to me this is a negative trait but oh well; others see it as a positive). It is the only queue to consistently hold all three of these traits. You can get one of them in micros, another in opens, and a third in Normals, but even there that's not entirely consistent.
Often, it sounds like they are here to show off and play against each other, not help us learn the game.
Technically speaking, the only player required to help you learn the game is the IC. In that regard, I can only say I've done the best I am capable of doing of helping you learn the game. I have given you my perspective on theories, as they become relevant information. I have explained my perspective, and why I feel these things are true. I have also attempted to basically have a one-on-one teaching session with a newbie (DogWatch).

For that matter, I have also engaged another newbie (Icy, albeit admittedly not as much as I probably should). I do admit, I have neglected to directly engage Darklyn (though that's honestly largely because I feel he doesn't need much help) and also you, so if you feel I have not given you as much effort to help you learn as I should, my apologies. (This of course, originating from how different your style is from mine, so it's difficult for me to parse and give input.)

But strictly speaking, the SEs cannot be held to any standard at all. They are allowed to be and do almost whatever they want. (Within reason.) So they are not required to teach, they are not required to help newbies learn. I mean. Frankly, I kind-of
wish
they were. But it's a little bit unfair to expect a person who is still fairly new to pick up that role. For instance, oldwino, next game, you'd be an SE. Would you feel comfortable teaching to the extent, saaaaaay, mhsmith did? Of course not. But SE just means "third game or more, yet not the IC". If you get an SE who has played 30 games, ideally, yes, mandating them helping to teach a newbie would be nice. Yet because the definition of SE is so broad, we can't enforce anything on them.

Basically, what I'm saying here is: if you hold a problem with me, you absolutely
do
need to name my name. Because I am literally the only one who holds an actual, legal requirement to teach as per the laws of mafiascum. So a breach of that conduct from ME is important for me to know about.
ThinkBig
ThinkBig
Jack of All Trades
ThinkBig
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1270 (ISO) » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:23 am

Post by ThinkBig »

IMO - MS needs to have some non-newbie matrix 6 games, since they seem to be so popular with experienced players. And maybe only allow three experienced players in each newbie game, one IC and two SE's, and not allow anyone with more than 3-4-5 games completed to join even as a replacement. That way, newbies would not feel so overwhelmed (and often inferior).
I actually fully agree with this. Unfortunately it is sometimes difficult to find replacements
I have officially retired this account. My new account is Virtuoso.
oldwino
oldwino
Goon
oldwino
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1271 (ISO) » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:26 am

Post by oldwino »

There are lots of newbies in the queue, they just have to be asked, encouraged, to play as a replacement, which I know is a harder job than playing from scratch. I waited 5-6 weeks to get in my first game.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #1272 (ISO) » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:30 am

Post by Alisae »

Old I'm willing to go back onto TB.
GTKAS
| here.
oldwino
oldwino
Goon
oldwino
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1273 (ISO) » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:32 am

Post by oldwino »

In post 1265, DogWatch wrote:
In post 1248, mastina wrote:I know town players don't do NKA.
Why?
@ Mastina, did you misspeak? Did you mean to say you 'know town players
who
don't do NK?" Because, point of fact, town players, some, many do NKA. I think several of us have been analyzing D1 in light of scum going after Icy rather than Dark.
ThinkBig
ThinkBig
Jack of All Trades
ThinkBig
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1274 (ISO) » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:34 am

Post by ThinkBig »

In post 1272, Alisae wrote:Old I'm willing to go back onto TB.
And you call Grey's votes opportunistic. How is this not opportunistic?
I have officially retired this account. My new account is Virtuoso.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”