[Game Over] Newbie 1784 - Escape Room

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Chronicle
Chronicle
Goon
Chronicle
Goon
Goon

Post Post #250 (ISO) » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:54 pm

Post by Chronicle »

In post 249, StealthyNoodle wrote:If nancy's town, I find it weird that she's decided to share that she'll cast aside her win-con for teaching others to play. In addition to being a minor rule break(or am I in the wrong here?), she's soley agreeing to lower the majority of players' chances of winning.

If nancy's scum, she could simply be lying about casting aside win-con for teaching, merely using it as a coverup. She wouldn't be breaking any rules either(being a self-proclaimed SE, I suppose she'd do her best to respect the rules).
Understand it from her POV. The whole point of a newbie is to learn how to play the game, getting a hang of forming reads, associations, learning lingo, and practicing skills like fake-claiming and ccing etc.

We don't play newbies with the intent of breaking the setup to find the most ideal strategy, and while I personally feel like that is something worth learning, it takes a lot away from the learning experience of a newbie game, because if things go well we would be playing a follow the tracker as early as page 1, and that's pointless.

While I think that claiming BPs wouldn't ruin the newbie game entirely, save for certain scenarios, I understand what she's trying to achieve, and it doesn't make sense for me to think her scum for it when she could be making that argument as town, but genuinely believing the strat takes away from the newbie game experience.
StealthyNoodle
StealthyNoodle
Goon
StealthyNoodle
Goon
Goon

Post Post #251 (ISO) » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:56 pm

Post by StealthyNoodle »

In post 134, nancy wrote:Whatever. It's obvious I'm VT anyway from this whole stupid thing.
Also, care explain why you think this is obvious?
Loopdan
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #252 (ISO) » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:12 pm

Post by Loopdan »

@nancy-- Have you received any private communication from our mod about you not playing to your win condition?
nancy
nancy
Jack of All Trades
nancy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #253 (ISO) » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:45 pm

Post by nancy »

Spoiler:
In post 217, Chronicle wrote:
In post 216, Chronicle wrote:I'll look into that messy Tes interaction you two are having later/tmr.
Okay there wasn't much to read.

Actually I don't get your stronger townreads. Is Pine a meta read? Why is WhyMafia town at all?
Largely meta, yes. WhyMafia responded in a way that I liked at a few different points.

In post 222, WhyMafia wrote:She repeatedly appeals to my emotions, making me want to trust her.
That was all in jest!

In post 249, StealthyNoodle wrote:If nancy's scum, she could simply be lying about casting aside win-con for teaching, merely using it as a coverup. She wouldn't be breaking any rules either(being a self-proclaimed SE, I suppose she'd do her best to respect the rules).
I'm an SE in the newbie queue, just forgot that I wasn't in an SE slot this game. I corrected it immediately.

In post 252, Loopdan wrote:@nancy-- Have you received any private communication from our mod about you not playing to your win condition?
I am playing to my win-con. Get over your rhetoric on this and start playing the game.
:2017-2018:
hi meet my mafiascum gravestone, the flowers were probably left by camn or schadd or Prism, blow them kisses for me would you?
StealthyNoodle
StealthyNoodle
Goon
StealthyNoodle
Goon
Goon

Post Post #254 (ISO) » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:49 pm

Post by StealthyNoodle »

In post 250, Chronicle wrote:Understand it from her POV. The whole point of a newbie is to learn how to play the game, getting a hang of forming reads, associations, learning lingo, and practicing skills like fake-claiming and ccing etc.
Can't we do this while playing a normal game, trying to obtain our win-cons at the same time? Do you mean we shouldn't be suspicious, because she's simply being helpful?

I also find it suspicious how she proclaims she's an SE, here to assist the IC in teaching! Then corrects herself six minutes later, saying that she just realized she's not "technically" SE, but will take the teacher-role anyways. I'd like to think it's very likely she already knew she wasn't an SE in this game.
In post 250, Chronicle wrote:We don't play newbies with the intent of breaking the setup to find the most ideal strategy
I'm not referring to the BP-claim incident. I'm refering to her statement that she'll cast aside her win-con to teach:
In post 18, nancy wrote:It's my opinion that teaching should always take precedence over playing to my win-con in the newbie queue, so that will be my approach throughout the game.
In post 250, Chronicle wrote:because if things go well we would be playing a follow the tracker as early as page 1, and that's pointless.
This sounds like a highly unlikely scenario though. And again, it's more about the fact that she's proclaiming she'll avoid playing win-con, even when it's borderline
against the rules
. Only practical reason I see, for it not being rulebreaking, is that she's scum pretending to cast aside win-con. Does my scumlean make sense?
StealthyNoodle
StealthyNoodle
Goon
StealthyNoodle
Goon
Goon

Post Post #255 (ISO) » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:53 pm

Post by StealthyNoodle »

In post 253, nancy wrote:I'm an SE in the newbie queue, just forgot that I wasn't in an SE slot this game. I corrected it immediately.
Thanks for enlightening me on this. What made you realize that you weren't an SE in under six minutes?

VOTE: nancy
StealthyNoodle
StealthyNoodle
Goon
StealthyNoodle
Goon
Goon

Post Post #256 (ISO) » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:53 pm

Post by StealthyNoodle »

I gotta go to bed, but I'll add that I find you suspicious as well, Chronicle.

You're laying low, sharing few original ideas.
You seem to be asking others' for their opinions instead of providing/sharing your own; it would be a great way to spur heat between other players.
You seem very eager to disprove of me and nancy's "useless" vote. Maybe you actually just really disliked those votes "going to waste".
Or you could've taken advantage of an obvious bad vote, and attack it to appear as an engaged townie.
In post 177, Chronicle wrote:Exactly why I can't justify a vote on bjc.
Your repetitive naked votes let's you lie low. You avoid any comeback, thus robbing us of your reaction.
In post 215, Chronicle wrote:I'm going to be doing naked votes often, I'm beginning to like them.
And you do seem to put a lot of effort in defending nancy, concidering you were among the first ones to take note of her claim-refusal.
In post 85, Chronicle wrote:
In post 17, nancy wrote:I do not like this strat at all, I think it's a bad way to teach newbies to play and I refuse to claim either way.
Refusing to claim even though it's a pro-town strat?
Chronicle
Chronicle
Goon
Chronicle
Goon
Goon

Post Post #257 (ISO) » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:57 pm

Post by Chronicle »

In post 254, StealthyNoodle wrote:Only practical reason I see, for it not being rulebreaking, is that she's scum pretending to cast aside win-con. Does my scumlean make sense?
Makes sense
Chronicle
Chronicle
Goon
Chronicle
Goon
Goon

Post Post #258 (ISO) » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:58 pm

Post by Chronicle »

In post 256, StealthyNoodle wrote:You seem very eager to disprove of me and nancy's "useless" vote. Maybe you actually just really disliked those votes "going to waste".
No, I just disliked it a lot.
Chronicle
Chronicle
Goon
Chronicle
Goon
Goon

Post Post #259 (ISO) » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:14 pm

Post by Chronicle »

In post 256, StealthyNoodle wrote:Your repetitive naked votes let's you lie low. You avoid any comeback, thus robbing us of your reaction.
I have never ran away from explaining my thoughts, if you ask I will deliver, unless there is something I want to try.

Naked votes are something that I'm trying, they won't last outside of helping me form early reads.
Chronicle
Chronicle
Goon
Chronicle
Goon
Goon

Post Post #260 (ISO) » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:14 pm

Post by Chronicle »

In post 256, StealthyNoodle wrote:And you do seem to put a lot of effort in defending nancy, concidering you were among the first ones to take note of her claim-refusal.
Also because I thought she could be town.
Chronicle
Chronicle
Goon
Chronicle
Goon
Goon

Post Post #261 (ISO) » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:16 pm

Post by Chronicle »

I also like to stubbornly think I'm right.
Chronicle
Chronicle
Goon
Chronicle
Goon
Goon

Post Post #262 (ISO) » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:18 pm

Post by Chronicle »

In post 256, StealthyNoodle wrote:You're laying low, sharing few original ideas.
You seem to be asking others' for their opinions instead of providing/sharing your own; it would be a great way to spur heat between other players.
Well, what do you want to know?
Chronicle
Chronicle
Goon
Chronicle
Goon
Goon

Post Post #263 (ISO) » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:31 pm

Post by Chronicle »

In post 253, nancy wrote:WhyMafia responded in a way that I liked at a few different points.
Which posts and why? I don't see anything particularly towny
TesXX
TesXX
Mafia Scum
TesXX
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #264 (ISO) » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:55 pm

Post by TesXX »

In post 254, StealthyNoodle wrote:
In post 250, Chronicle wrote:Understand it from her POV. The whole point of a newbie is to learn how to play the game, getting a hang of forming reads, associations, learning lingo, and practicing skills like fake-claiming and ccing etc.
Can't we do this while playing a normal game, trying to obtain our win-cons at the same time? Do you mean we shouldn't be suspicious, because she's simply being helpful?

I also find it suspicious how she proclaims she's an SE, here to assist the IC in teaching! Then corrects herself six minutes later, saying that she just realized she's not "technically" SE, but will take the teacher-role anyways. I'd like to think it's very likely she already knew she wasn't an SE in this game.
What's so suspicious about that?
And again, it's more about the fact that she's proclaiming she'll avoid playing win-con, even when it's borderline
against the rules
This I agree with.
TesXX
TesXX
Mafia Scum
TesXX
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #265 (ISO) » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:05 pm

Post by TesXX »

I just realized I'm still voting Srceen UNVOTE:
MiniDeathStar
MiniDeathStar
she/her
Mafia Scum
MiniDeathStar
she/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #266 (ISO) » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:17 am

Post by MiniDeathStar »

N
ewbie
G
ame
#

Notice

bjc0303
has failed to pick up his prod and will be replaced.
StealthyNoodle
StealthyNoodle
Goon
StealthyNoodle
Goon
Goon

Post Post #267 (ISO) » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:46 am

Post by StealthyNoodle »

In post 251, StealthyNoodle wrote:
In post 134, nancy wrote:Whatever. It's obvious I'm VT anyway from this whole stupid thing.
Also, care explain why you think this is obvious?
In post 255, StealthyNoodle wrote:
In post 253, nancy wrote:I'm an SE in the newbie queue, just forgot that I wasn't in an SE slot this game. I corrected it immediately.
Thanks for enlightening me on this. What made you realize that you weren't an SE in under six minutes?
I'd like to hear nancy's response to these two questions first. Concidering she's made 6 posts in other threads between then and now, I'd say it's likely she's dodging the questions.
In post 264, TesXX wrote:
In post 254, StealthyNoodle wrote: I also find it suspicious how she proclaims she's an SE, here to assist the IC in teaching! Then corrects herself six minutes later, saying that she just realized she's not "technically" SE, but will take the teacher-role anyways. I'd like to think it's very likely she already knew she wasn't an SE in this game.
In the case she
didn't realize
she wasn't SE:
There must've been something made her realize she wasn't, within the time span of 6 minutes(the time between her posts),
while
focusing on a response for you:
In post 20, nancy wrote:Actually I just realized I'm not technically an SE lol. But yes, the above still applies!

I have read your explanations and I have seen the strategy in play and I think it's a bad way to teach newbies to play. I do not want this to be a topic of discussion when we should be focusing on RVS so please drop it.
In the case she already
was aware
she wasn't SE:
She could use this as an excuse for feeling obliged to teach us about the game, rather than focusing on her win-con. She never had to mention this, but the fact that she does "justifies" her reason to not claim anything.

Had to check, and it looks like she applied as an SE. I might be firing shots in the dark here, but shouldn't she be placed as SE in another game then, instead of taking up new-player spot here? Is this because there's a lack of new players?
StealthyNoodle
StealthyNoodle
Goon
StealthyNoodle
Goon
Goon

Post Post #268 (ISO) » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:47 am

Post by StealthyNoodle »

Chronicle, thanks for fast response. I'll make sure to look into it once I get home.
Srceenplay
Srceenplay
Jack of All Trades
Srceenplay
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #269 (ISO) » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:50 am

Post by Srceenplay »

It looks like she replaced into a newbie slot.
If someone normally plays as an SE (not a newbie anymore), it's not hard to see why she would say that. She KNOWS she is not a newbie.

You are pushing something that doesn't need pushed.
"A man can not be too careful on the choices of his enemies." Oscar Wilde
StealthyNoodle
StealthyNoodle
Goon
StealthyNoodle
Goon
Goon

Post Post #270 (ISO) » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:52 am

Post by StealthyNoodle »

Well I guess that makes sense. I'd still like her to answer my two questions.
MiniDeathStar
MiniDeathStar
she/her
Mafia Scum
MiniDeathStar
she/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #271 (ISO) » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:37 am

Post by MiniDeathStar »

N
ewbie
G
ame
#

Announcement

CogMachine
replaces bjc0303, effective as soon as they confirm their role.
CogMachine
CogMachine
Townie
CogMachine
Townie
Townie

Post Post #272 (ISO) » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:55 am

Post by CogMachine »

hey guys, just joining. Give me a little bit to read the thread!
CogMachine
CogMachine
Townie
CogMachine
Townie
Townie

Post Post #273 (ISO) » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:32 am

Post by CogMachine »

Not BP.

Since we're going with that.
TesXX
TesXX
Mafia Scum
TesXX
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #274 (ISO) » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:47 am

Post by TesXX »

In post 273, CogMachine wrote:Not BP.

Since we're going with that.
Cool
Alright now we move onto claiming
tracker
or
not tracker
I'm
not the tracker
In post 267, StealthyNoodle wrote:
In post 264, TesXX wrote:
In post 254, StealthyNoodle wrote: I also find it suspicious how she proclaims she's an SE, here to assist the IC in teaching! Then corrects herself six minutes later, saying that she just realized she's not "technically" SE, but will take the teacher-role anyways. I'd like to think it's very likely she already knew she wasn't an SE in this game.
In the case she
didn't realize
she wasn't SE:
There must've been something made her realize she wasn't, within the time span of 6 minutes(the time between her posts),
while
focusing on a response for you:
In post 20, nancy wrote:Actually I just realized I'm not technically an SE lol. But yes, the above still applies!

I have read your explanations and I have seen the strategy in play and I think it's a bad way to teach newbies to play. I do not want this to be a topic of discussion when we should be focusing on RVS so please drop it.
In the case she already
was aware
she wasn't SE:
She could use this as an excuse for feeling obliged to teach us about the game, rather than focusing on her win-con. She never had to mention this, but the fact that she does "justifies" her reason to not claim anything.
You don't need to think you're an SE slot to want to teach newbies.
Had to check, and it looks like she applied as an SE. I might be firing shots in the dark here, but shouldn't she be placed as SE in another game then, instead of taking up new-player spot here? Is this because there's a lack of new players?
SEs can replace into as many games as the want I think. She took up a new player spot in pregame since that player didn't confirm their role

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”