Newbie 1779 | Spring | Endgame

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1650 (ISO) » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:32 pm

Post by PenguinPower »

I'm actually quite pleased at how post-game has gone. Good discussion and comments. Was worried for a bit. I think oldwino and Dogwatch (you aren't leaving) have a bright future here.

Thanks to everyone for playing a good game (ChrisOrmie...you are now conf!scum in all future games you replace into until proven otherwise), and I hope you had a good experience.
<(") | (")>
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #1651 (ISO) » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:33 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

My best advice is to be super cautious of confbias since that's what I think did this town in.

Reconsider your reads always
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #1652 (ISO) » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:34 pm

Post by Alisae »

PP that's unfair to Chris -_-
GTKAS
| here.
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1653 (ISO) » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:37 pm

Post by PenguinPower »

It's not just this game. He got me as a player in another game. He's earned it.
<(") | (")>
ThinkBig
ThinkBig
Jack of All Trades
ThinkBig
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1654 (ISO) » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:37 pm

Post by ThinkBig »

When I am town, RC is always conf scum (and vice versa)
I have officially retired this account. My new account is Virtuoso.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #1655 (ISO) » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:39 pm

Post by Alisae »

So TB is scum whenever I scumread him got it.
GTKAS
| here.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #1656 (ISO) » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:39 pm

:cry:
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
ThinkBig
ThinkBig
Jack of All Trades
ThinkBig
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1657 (ISO) » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:40 pm

Post by ThinkBig »

In post 1655, Alisae wrote:So TB is town whenever I scumread him got it.
FTFY
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #1658 (ISO) » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:42 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

FWIW, early losses can be valuable learning experiences, just look at me :lol:

https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?ti ... entary2016
Lambert Simnel Conspiracy

1) Welcome to mafia! You get to play against Harb and UDC, with Keirador as a mafia-aligned 3p role. Good luck!

2) Losing to a mafia sweep is always embarrassing, but I do take comfort in getting NK'd on N2 (as basically an IC with a crappy one-time use power) over the non-CC'd jailkeeper. I'd gambited to try and draw that kill, and even though my scum-hunting sucked I was pretty happy to have at least made that contribution to town.

3) My direct scum-hunting sucked (tunnelled townies GregorV on day 1 and sjg on day 2), but made some good observations:
- crappy/lazy town = veteran mafia team. In the game there were three vets (Harb, sjg, Keirador) and one near-vet (UDC). I then proceeded to tunnel the one town in the bunch.
- called the Harb-Keirador fight on D2 as BS on both sides (though thought Harb was 3p and Keirador mafia). Didn't quite have the guts to hard-sell a lynch of one of them. Probably my biggest game regret.

4) For a first time effort, I feel I was legitimately decent. This doesn't really make me feel all that much better about losing though. OTOH, this does seem to be a pattern in my town games :|

Fruit Salad Mafia

1) First ever game as mafia. Got tunnelled pretty hard by sjg and UDC on day 1, barely survived as the counter-wagon to the day 1 mislynch, and day 2 was basically "lynch smith day".

2) Caught the cop (IAWY) before game post #100. My game sucked otherwise but I feel legit proud about that catch.

3) The town roster in that game was: sjg11, UpsideDownChuck, soah, trafficone, luckbox inc, revival (subbed for orangerake), LordJVK, Inawordyes, Cuthalion... and IAWY was the cop. That's a SUPER hard window of plausible mislynches and a wide range of really, really good townies. Actually, looking at that roster again, I'm mainly just happy that I survived the first lynch. Jeez, talk about a tough draw for newb!scum...

4) This was also my first taste of "terrible luck with subs", a frequently annoying aspect of the variance that keeps biting me. Had Revival subbed for Calvary (my afk teammate) instead of OrangeRake (an afk townie), we'd have won. Instead it went the other way around. Alas.

Micro 600

1) My first ever win at mafia... and I played mediocre at best. I really feel like I'm learning an important lesson about the correlation between effort and results here :lol:

Newbie 1691

1) KAAG was my first ever legit wolf catch. Took until first LYLO to do it, but I feel like that was a good catch. Was very happy with it.

2) Mislynched Almost50 on final LYLO. That one was tough. Both sides were plausible mafia. A good lesson there in needing to try EVEN HARDER to game-solve, I guess. Also, another experience w poor luck w subs, as A50 basically started howling (looking like a wolf) from post #1 after he subbed in at LYLO. Still, I was the guy who made the call at final LYLO. Just need to do better in the future.

3) The graveyard chat from that game makes me smile every time I feel like I'm playing like crap. So that was nice.

Disney Princesses

1) Subbed into a mafia slot on day 2, got lynched on day 2. :(

2) This was a 17 player game, with 1500 posts day 1, and over 1000 day 2, with day phases 36/12 hours. Way too many posts in way too short of a time frame for me to handle. Lesson very much learned there.

3) I almost got crunkus mis-lynched. The attempt got me lynched instead, but almost still counts for something. Solid town save by Revival to turn the tide on that one.

Resistance: The Shield

1) I felt like I was basically outed on like page 1. Wasn't fun at all.

2) Somehow we still nabbed mission fails on the first two missions, and on the second mission, we very nearly got the mission leadership to pass back to me (which would have been an auto win per game rules). Unfortunately, condude subbed in for Ugluk, and got EM to make the mission proposal that town desperately needed to make (even though it failed) to get out its conf!bias hole. Alas. (note: that's terrible luck with subs game #3 :crying: )

3) sjg (my spy-buddy) played well enough to merit a win. Too bad he got partnered with me :lol:

Open 635

1) Subbed in at MYLO, and wasn't the mislynch or on the mislynch wagon. Also correctly FoS'd RC, but couldn't convince the town to question the town read, or put together a solid case in time to avoid the outcome.

2) There's truly nothing quite like "well this can't be the mafia team, because they're all here and haven't quick-hammered yet"

mafia team then quick-hammers

3) I get told I played well in another town loss. Almost like this is a pattern at this point. Really need to start just slacking off instead as town :lol:

Micro 610

1) Was anti-town, got lynched D1. SO typical :( Bonus points for Radja (the player most familiar with my town game from Newbie 1691) voting me literally 20 posts after I sub in :(

2) IMO the setup was really hard to blend in as anti-town, since all town knew the important info (other than SK identity), and anti-town didn't. Much harder to fake knowledge than to fake ignorance, IMO.

3) Took the final shot, missed the final shot. Alas. My reads weren't totally off; target was around the middle of my list. With more time in twilight *glares at mod* I MIGHT have figured things out... but probably not.

Plague Mafia

1) One of my worst town performances ever in terms of reads. Had a solid town read on El Conq, and he was one of the two mafia. Hard-core tunnelled Keirador on D3 and he was town. At least we correctly lynched shadowfriend on D3, so it wasn't a total loss.

2) I do think this was a scum-sided setup. Waiting on full GM spreadsheet reveal to know for sure. Edit: oh wow, yeah that was scum-sided. I'd guess town MAYBE wins 1 of 3 in that setup over the long run. We mislynched twice, lynched correctly, and then lost N3 due to the "secondary" VC for mafia. And we'd had an outside shot at losing N2 after two mislynches.

3) "And mhsmith is a freaking workhorse. I'm glad he's working on things that have nothing to do with us."

grumble grumble
That's a LOT of losing in my early career. Just over and over and over and over and over again. But I forced myself to learn from my mistakes and from other peoples' mistakes, and I legitimately improved. And then, one day, FINALLY, I got back above .500. Was a happy day :P :D
Show
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Mhsmith0
Conq: you, sir, are great at being town.
BATMAN: Only jugg was the only one we didn’t scum read at least not me
Quick: There is little to no chance this slot is Power-Wolfing.
SR: I want to give him a day
Life is simply unfair, don't you think?
-Grey-
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1659 (ISO) » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:43 pm

Post by -Grey- »

In post 1655, Alisae wrote:So Grey is scum whenever I scumread him but I still can't lynch him regardless of how right I am got it.
FTFY
“Trust is an orchid, beautiful but delicate, requiring ideal conditions in order to thrive. Without them, it dies.” - Dahrk (Arrow, Season 4)
---
"-grey- would hardclaim an inno on his obv-scum partner D2 in a micro if he could" - gigabyteTroubadour
"You type like a Bond villain." - DogWatch
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #1660 (ISO) » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:08 pm

Post by Alisae »

In post 1659, -Grey- wrote:
In post 1655, Alisae wrote:So Grey is scum whenever I scumread him but I still can't lynch him regardless of how right I am got it.
FTFY
ik right it's sad.
GTKAS
| here.
ChrisOrmie
ChrisOrmie
Goon
ChrisOrmie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1661 (ISO) » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:10 pm

Post by ChrisOrmie »

In post 1650, PenguinPower wrote:I'm actually quite pleased at how post-game has gone. Good discussion and comments. Was worried for a bit. I think oldwino and Dogwatch (you aren't leaving) have a bright future here.

Thanks to everyone for playing a good game (ChrisOrmie...you are now conf!scum in all future games you replace into until proven otherwise), and I hope you had a good experience.
In post 1652, Alisae wrote:PP that's unfair to Chris -_-
Haha, the main issue is that I typically play my town game as both alignments. I get why I'm scumread a lot though, I have the knack of finding the flaws in people's thinking and tunneling on them for reactions. First game it nearly derailed the game but we got a town win, these last two I've enjoyed being scum after replacing in and getting perfect wins too. A year or so ago I hated being scum, too much pressure, but these days it's a fun challenge to switch alignments a bit.

Tbh, win or lose, I'm trying to just enjoy the experiences and having fun playing with new people along the way. :D Glad I could have met y'all and played in this game!
Ride forth you merry gentlemen of yore and tell the lords of Hades that we come for to claim their heads in the names of vengeance and righteousness!
-Grey-
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1662 (ISO) » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:17 pm

Post by -Grey- »

Sorry Ali. Great job nailing me this game, though. Seriously.
“Trust is an orchid, beautiful but delicate, requiring ideal conditions in order to thrive. Without them, it dies.” - Dahrk (Arrow, Season 4)
---
"-grey- would hardclaim an inno on his obv-scum partner D2 in a micro if he could" - gigabyteTroubadour
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #1663 (ISO) » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:18 pm

Post by Alisae »

Grey it's okay we're like BFFs.
Right?
GTKAS
| here.
ThinkBig
ThinkBig
Jack of All Trades
ThinkBig
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1664 (ISO) » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:19 pm

Post by ThinkBig »

In post 1662, -Grey- wrote:Sorry Ali. Great job nailing me this game, though. Seriously.
Agreed, though I did a decent job wiggling my way of it
-Grey-
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1665 (ISO) » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:25 pm

Post by -Grey- »

In post 1664, ThinkBig wrote:
In post 1662, -Grey- wrote:Sorry Ali. Great job nailing me this game, though. Seriously.
Agreed, though I did a decent job wiggling my way of it
I didn't really keep up with the game after replacing out.

You must have done something right to dodge the noose with two confirmed town bouncing around and Alisae screaming for your head, so kudos to you regardless of the salt that is being flung around about you.

You don't have to be the towniest town that ever towned to win as scum. You just have to make town look scummier than you. Which you must haves done, considering you prevailed.

Fuck the haters.
---
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #1666 (ISO) » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:36 pm

Post by Alisae »

Yes TB passed the test of time.
GTKAS
| here.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #1667 (ISO) » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:37 pm

Yeah.

I don't mean to discredit any of the scum players involved. You all did your jobs and did them well.

I just feel like town could have won if things went differently.
ThinkBig
ThinkBig
Jack of All Trades
ThinkBig
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1668 (ISO) » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:39 pm

Post by ThinkBig »

In post 1667, RadiantCowbells wrote:I just feel like town could have won if I didn't replace out.
FTFY
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #1669 (ISO) » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:40 pm

Post by Alisae »

In post 1668, ThinkBig wrote:
In post 1667, RadiantCowbells wrote:I just feel like town could have won if I didn't replace out.
FTFY
Wow. Is this what you think of me?
Is my play that bad?
;~;
/me cri
GTKAS
| here.
pieg
pieg
Goon
pieg
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1670 (ISO) » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:16 pm

Post by pieg »

new mefia strats is to not kill n1 for a perfect victory
In post 1590, DogWatch wrote:In the event that I do play again, are there any obvious things I could do better? I played like complete shit early on in this game, and was never really correct about anything except Chris toward the end.
you didn't play like shit at any point in time and you basically did an excellent job of making it utterly obvious that you were town which is what a vt is supposed to do so.. you played great.

/me hugs alisae
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #1671 (ISO) » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:55 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 1669, Alisae wrote:
In post 1668, ThinkBig wrote:
FTFY
Wow. Is this what you think of me?
Is my play that bad?
;~;
/me cri
FWIW I don't think you played badly, though there were some things to improve on (not really your fault town didn't listen to you on ThinkBig on day 2, and REALLY not your fault that your villagery d3 got lynched over ThinkBig's obvscum d3, but you did need to think more critically about Chris on d2 especially, and not allow yourself to move on d2 towards someone [mastina] who was only scum if your top scumread [ThinkBig] was scum). Like most town slots most of the time, you had some good and some bad. It happens.

I would, however, say without intending to criticize you at all on the point, that RC is a stronger town player than you (he's a strong town player overall, even if his scum game is better than his town game), and it's also true (completely decoupled from you entirely) that there's likely to be generic paranoia about RC being scum, and that you replacing into his slot, especially with my having cast suspicion onto the slot (even if it was more of a POE thing than anythinig else). I think that RC could have, if he was still around, fought through it and given town a good shot at winning, whereas once he was gone, the suspicion on his slot remained, and you inherited a slot in a bit of a tough situation unfortunately.
Show
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #1672 (ISO) » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:55 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

That redacted quote was from an ongoing game btw
Kaze13 wrote:I don't know at what point ww became "we must lynch for information!" Instead of "yo we should probably lynch a wolf."
game now over. kaze was a villager pushing against that concept in a somewhat less
annoying
obnoxious manner than I ended up doing :P
Show
UpTooLate
UpTooLate
Mafia Scum
UpTooLate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1673 (ISO) » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:20 pm

Post by UpTooLate »

Game Over
Get to know me!
Take care of those you call your own, and keep good company.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”