Accountant's Utopia Philosophy

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Sesq
Sesq
Mafia Scum
Sesq
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4425 (ISO) » Wed May 10, 2017 7:52 pm

Post by Sesq »

i am saying that you are susceptible to the same kinds of biases that every other human is.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4426 (ISO) » Wed May 10, 2017 7:54 pm

Post by Accountant »

In post 4424, Sesq wrote:no it's not you just have zero understanding of anything

people have traits that they themselves do not notice, but others around them do.

a lot of assholey people don't realize they are assholes. it isn't a mental disease, it's completely normal

if anything you're implying everyone has alzheimer's which is weird
There's no such thing as a trait that I don't notice but others do. How the hell do you think I got the traits I got if not by me creating them? Would you tell Picasso that he had a painting that he didn't remember painting and never painted, but insist that it's totally his and a genuine Picasso? Wouldn't you be implying that Picasso has a mental illness if you did so?

I agree that many people have mental dysfunctions causing them to be unable to be in control of their own brain. But don't you compare me to those... things. They are akin to hollow shells - the stuffed body of a wild animal, a rusted-out robot following a corrupted piece of source code. It is a grave insult to compare me to those. It's such a grave insult that I name it a cardinal sin to go around telling people they're not in control of their own brain.
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4427 (ISO) » Wed May 10, 2017 7:55 pm

Post by Accountant »

In post 4425, Sesq wrote:i am saying that you are susceptible to the same kinds of biases that every other human is.
No. Do not compare an angel with an ape. (In this comparison, I am the angel. Human beings who cannot understand their own mind and who others can tell what is inside their mind are the ape.)

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #4428 (ISO) » Wed May 10, 2017 9:00 pm

Post by Annadog40 »

It could be less understaning your mind and more others interpiting their actions and projecting their feelings on to you.

So they look at what they projected onto you and not inside you.
This is my life now

Once you have 100 posts, click here to go to the page to join the speakeasy group.
Shaziro
Shaziro
Mafia Scum
Shaziro
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4429 (ISO) » Thu May 11, 2017 1:05 am

Post by Shaziro »

In post 4387, Accountant wrote:Off-topic:

Before I say anything, please explain why you linked this.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4430 (ISO) » Thu May 11, 2017 3:53 am

Post by Accountant »

It's an interesting video. It interests me. It's fascinating.

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4431 (ISO) » Thu May 11, 2017 3:54 am

Post by Accountant »

It also coincidentally became on-topic because it very neatly illustrates the difference between a shell and a person with axioms

Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4432 (ISO) » Thu May 11, 2017 4:01 am

Post by Umlaut »

Accountant, you appear to be conflating
axioms
and
correct axioms.

It is entirely consistent with the evidence to suppose Saddam Hussein operated under axioms like "I am the most important, and anything that benefits me personally is good."
“There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say, ‘There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say there are two kinds of people in this world,
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
say. Well, then there’s me.” — J.R. “Bob” Dobbs
Shaziro
Shaziro
Mafia Scum
Shaziro
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4433 (ISO) » Thu May 11, 2017 4:05 am

Post by Shaziro »

Explain what about it interested you enough to post it.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4434 (ISO) » Thu May 11, 2017 4:06 am

Post by Accountant »

In post 4432, Umlaut wrote:Accountant, you appear to be conflating
axioms
and
correct axioms.

It is entirely consistent with the evidence to suppose Saddam Hussein operated under axioms like "I am the most important, and anything that benefits me personally is good."
I'm not. I hate Hussein. I bet he's a selfish piece of shit who murdered others for his own gain.

But.

He had axioms. That is undeniable. He had SOME axioms. That makes him set apart from most of the people in society. It makes him interesting. Fascinating.

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4435 (ISO) » Thu May 11, 2017 4:07 am

Post by Accountant »

In that video, you can really see Hussein bringing his axioms out. Baring his soul to the world, imposing his reality over our own.

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4436 (ISO) » Thu May 11, 2017 4:10 am

Post by Accountant »

To illustrate: Umlaut, is there something you have such strong conviction in, something you believe so absolutely in, an ideal that shapes your soul so strongly that you would line up grown men and force them to get executed by firing squad? Because anyone with a real axiom would respond yes without hesitation. Understanding the things that someone cares about so strongly they'd unhesitatingly kill for it is the real way to understand someone. In comparison to a belief as deep as that, something like personality is dull and shallow.

Someone who has no such beliefs is, therefore, comprised entirely of personality or other irrelevant factors, and is a dull and shallow person, at least relatively speaking.

Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4437 (ISO) » Thu May 11, 2017 4:11 am

Post by Umlaut »

What if the thing I believe in is that mass executions are bad?
“There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say, ‘There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say there are two kinds of people in this world,
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4438 (ISO) » Thu May 11, 2017 4:12 am

Post by Accountant »

That "spark" - that ability to create something above and beyond mere personality, an ideal far beyond what a human being can achieve, a prayer of ultimate glory - that is what makes the human race enjoyable, it's what separates us from animals, it's perhaps the fundamental reason why I see value in humans.

Shaziro
Shaziro
Mafia Scum
Shaziro
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4439 (ISO) » Thu May 11, 2017 4:12 am

Post by Shaziro »

Do you think that the actions are acceptable, but the reasoning behind them isn't?
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4440 (ISO) » Thu May 11, 2017 4:13 am

Post by Accountant »

In post 4437, Umlaut wrote:What if the thing I believe in is that mass executions are bad?
Then it becomes "would you be willing to imprison people", or "would you be able to work towards that ideal, completely ignoring all the people who tell you weird things like 'it's impossible to abolish the death penalty worldwide'".

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4441 (ISO) » Thu May 11, 2017 4:16 am

Post by Accountant »

In post 4439, Shaziro wrote:Do you think that the actions are acceptable, but the reasoning behind them isn't?
The actions are amoral, but beautiful. When I watch the video, when I stare Hussein in the eye in his moment of truth, then I feel a depth of emotion that jolts me in the way some really good poems do. It doesn't have to be positive. Some of the best art is sad. But there is a "feeling" there.

Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4442 (ISO) » Thu May 11, 2017 4:18 am

Post by Umlaut »

Well, that was just an example. I don't really take "mass executions are bad" is an
axiom,
though in general I think life and humanity are good and extinguishing them is therefore bad. And since I don't mistake myself for an
ubermensch
incapable of cognitive bias or simple error, I also know that if I find myself in a situation where I think mass executions are justified in the pursuit of some specific goal, it is far more likely that
I have made an error in reasoning somewhere
than that this is actually what I should be doing.
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4443 (ISO) » Thu May 11, 2017 4:19 am

Post by Accountant »

It doesn't have to be Hussein seizing power. It could just as easily be Edward Jenner as he eradicates smallpox from the face of the Earth. It could be Gilgamesh as he drinks the waters of the fountain of youth. These are all poignant in their own ways. You don't get this from being a human being that respects reality and the laws of physics. You get it by being someone who can impose their will onto the world.

Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4444 (ISO) » Thu May 11, 2017 4:21 am

Post by Umlaut »

So you're saying Saddam was a magnificent bastard?
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4445 (ISO) » Thu May 11, 2017 4:23 am

Post by Accountant »

In post 4442, Umlaut wrote:Well, that was just an example. I don't really take "mass executions are bad" is an
axiom,
though in general I think life and humanity are good and extinguishing them is therefore bad. And since I don't mistake myself for an
ubermensch
incapable of cognitive bias or simple error, I also know that if I find myself in a situation where I think mass executions are justified in the pursuit of some specific goal, it is far more likely that
I have made an error in reasoning somewhere
than that this is actually what I should be doing.
Doubt is anathema to someone who operates on an axiomatic level. Ask Hussein if he ever hesitated because he felt doubt at whether this was really best for tbe people of Iraq. Ask Hitler if he ever doubted that he was the savior of the Aryan race.

To proceed in life with an unstoppable conviction, every step assured, a goddess amongst the shells of humans, my very existence an imposition of my axioms onto reality, existing as a machine to execute those axioms, walking a path that is absolute and straight as a laser. This is beauty. This is the meaning of life. This is what humans are supposed to do.

And you would drag me down with things like worrying about whether I have cognitive biases? Things like worrying about the laws of physics or logic? That is akin to splashing mud on a Picasso.

Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4446 (ISO) » Thu May 11, 2017 4:26 am

Post by Umlaut »

Saddam and Hitler were both overthrown, you know.
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4447 (ISO) » Thu May 11, 2017 4:26 am

Post by Accountant »

In post 4444, Umlaut wrote:So you're saying Saddam was a magnificent bastard?
There's some nuance, I emphasize the goal and the audacity more than the charisma, but essentially yes.

And I'd rather have a hundred thousand Magnificent Bastard mass murderers than a single nobody.

Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4448 (ISO) » Thu May 11, 2017 4:27 am

Post by Umlaut »

In post 4447, Accountant wrote:And I'd rather have a hundred thousand Magnificent Bastard mass murderers than a single nobody.
I hope for your sake that the nobodies around you are not replaced with hundreds of thousands of Magnificent Bastard mass murderers.
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4449 (ISO) » Thu May 11, 2017 4:28 am

Post by Accountant »

In post 4446, Umlaut wrote:Saddam and Hitler were both overthrown, you know.
But they lived better lives than other people. I don't mean that in the sense of being more fulfilling, meaningful and beautiful.

They failed, in the end, due to their flawed axioms and not being magnificent enough. I do not possess that weakness.

Return to “General Discussion”