Song Contest 108 (RESULTS POSTED)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Dark Horse
Dark Horse
Goon
Dark Horse
Goon
Goon

Post Post #250 (ISO) » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:15 pm

Post by Dark Horse »

Bhutan - Incredible story telling. One of the best rap songs of the 90s.
Nicaragua - Damn this was a ride. Pushes the edge and it pays off
Republic of Kugelmugel - Shelling out shit tons money to sample biggie just saying "nigga" is the most new york thing I can think of. 10/10
Bolivia - Even though it's mad pretentious I can't deny it's cool to listen to
Ecuador - Solid. I have a soft spot for dark country like this.
Georgia - The lo fi-ness fell flat a couple of times but it's good aside from that
Azerbaijan - Surprisingly cool
USA - The first interesting song in this song contest. The mixing is pretty bad but it's enjoyable aside from that.
Iceland - Instrumentation ++, cheesy synth solo --, metal vocal that don't fit ----
Kenya - Decent, chorus is kinda bad but the rest makes up for it
Italy - The Clean vocals here are good at some parts and bad in others. Quite the dilemma.
(Albania) Oh no 2 - Just a blatant beatles ripoff. At least it's kinda memorable I guess
Fiji - It's ok I guess. Not very special.
Hong Kong - The only interesting part of this was that it made me wonder if denzel curry's dreads were inspired by long ass dreads like the guy in this video
Taiwan - Jim O'Rourke has songs that are way more interesting than this
Burkina Faso - Ugh this is so pretentious it hurts.
Greece - Boooooriiiing
Somalia - Intro didn't work at all. Aside form that it's just generic modern metal that does of incredibly job of meandering in a thousand directions and still going nowhere. Clean vocals are straight garbage
Chad - Synths suck. Clean vocals REALLY suck.
The Federated States of Micronesia - Pretty forgettable adult contemporary rock-core
Laos(Red jump suit) - Some very bland very unmemorable dad rock This was difficult to get through
Canada - This is music that plays as the title card for a 14 year old's minecraft channel
Sweden - See above
Latvia - This is music for people that wear long black trench coats.
Cote d'Ivorie - If people were torturing me by having me listen to this I'd crack as soon as that first flip flap part came in

Overall this contest was mad weak
Last edited by Dark Horse on Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #251 (ISO) » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:20 pm

Post by PJ. »

Mmm, are you sure they paid? Pretty sure biggie saying "nigga" falls under fair use. Actually I'm positive.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Dark Horse
Dark Horse
Goon
Dark Horse
Goon
Goon

Post Post #252 (ISO) » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:31 pm

Post by Dark Horse »

Really? Joey's selling the song, and I'm assuming bad boy records or his family would still own the rights to biggie's stuff, includeing where joey got that sample
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #253 (ISO) » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:33 pm

Post by PJ. »

Could argue transformative use. It's a hella small sample too.
Zachstralkita
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #254 (ISO) » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:26 am

Post by Zachstralkita »

LMAO bro said the most New York thing I can think of
Zachstralkita
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #255 (ISO) » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:29 am

Post by Zachstralkita »

Fuck. I was gonna enter Joey Bada$$ and I didn't enter this contest

WHICH ONE OF U WAS IT

DONT TELL ME YOU PREFER BAD4$$ TO 1999

ITS ACTUALLY THE MOST HORRIFYING THING IVE SEEN IN... DAYS
Sesq
Sesq
Mafia Scum
Sesq
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #256 (ISO) » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:54 am

Post by Sesq »

crap i need to get on this
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #257 (ISO) » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:11 am

Post by PJ. »

these songs are unreasonably long
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #258 (ISO) » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:04 am

Post by Psyche »

yes
You can't step in the same river twice.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #259 (ISO) » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:30 am

Post by PJ. »

Albania - 3slow5me. skipped ahead. Sounded Bowie-esque. maybe low points if this is a bad contest.
Laos - why is there no poop emoji?
Somalia - reminded me of He Is Legend. Which was cool. Probably gonna get something. Not much, but something
Fiji - remember when someone else entered a hunter hunter theme and I was like this is the worse hxh song? I was mistaken.
Burkina Faso - I was just expecting more from this from the picture. It sounded like a PJ Harvey b-side. Which is...fine? kinda.
USA -Suki yo daisuki, mina anta ni ageru. Iie. Kirai daikirai!!! On that note, I liked the second season OP better!
Kenya - This is cool, ya
Ivory Coast - It was fine and fun, but I was just wishing it was Kyaru Pamyu Pamyu the whole time and that's not your fault. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzC4hFK5P3g
Taiwan - this was fine, unoffensive slow singer songwriter-y type thing.
Canada - Honestly...felt VERY MUCH like this guy heard that TNGHT mix tape from 5 years ago, and was like "so these guys aren't continuing this project? I'm gonna make the white guy version.". Which is to say, he seems p inspired by Hudson Mohawke and added a less cool version of the Lunice bits. Probably still gonna get points, cause I'm halfway through and I'm not impressed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-kjLzAIYAY
Hong Kong - CHECK OUT MY NEW DOUBLE BASS PEDAL FROM GUITAR CENTER BRO! BAD CLEANS!!!!
Afghanistan - This is a fucking jam.
Ecuador - Yo, this brother's voice. I really dug this.
Iceland - My monthly dose of unlistenable gunk courtesy of Parama.
Bolivia - two dudes banging around for 14 minutes with a monotone foreign man talking occasionally. I did not listen to all of this.
Georgia - This was real chill. Wasn't the biggest fan of his voice, but I might just be cranky cause I'm on song 16
Azerbaijan - first 3 minutes sounded like a guy turning on and off various versions of playstation. IDK what the last 8 minute sosunded like
Republic of Kugelmugel - Not really a big fan of Joey Bad and I thought he really fell off once Steez died and stopped writing his raps. Apparently he has a song called 95 til infinity, which is the LEAST New York thing ever.
Mirconesia - And here I was thinking that song was coldplay this whole time
Greece- Oh no the spiders
CHAD - OH NO DOUBLE BASS AND CRAZY SYNTHS ~~~~~~~ BIG SCREAM. OH NO MORE BAD CLEANSSSSSS!!! DUDE SOUNDS LIKE HE WAS IN A GOO GOO DOLLS COVER BAND BEFORE GETTING RECRUITED INTO THIS OH NOOOOOOOOO
Italy - assuming this was Nero Cain with more butt rock
Latvia - Man, I didn't know dude's were still committing so hard to the Marilyn Manson aesthetic in this decade. This dude should fight William Control for the right to assume Marilyn Manson's name while ripping off Depeche Mode
Nicaragua - I think I might of tuned out the first minute, but once it got my attention, I really enjoyed it and listened to the remaining 8 minutes. I liked the Jazz influence and the flamenco??? This was bizarre. But good.
Sweden - The problem with this is that it doesn't separate itself from anything with that eurohouse / electropop sound. This just is completely sterile to me. I don't even dislike the genre, it's just there is so much of it, that if there isn't something distinct about it that separates it from the million other songs that sound exactly like it. Example - Clarity by Zedd
Bhutan - me
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #260 (ISO) » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:53 am

Post by Parama »

Nicaragua – Thus far this is fitting into the category of “pretty nice background music” but, will, it continue down that path I wonder. It kind of stays there sometimes but other times has interesting stuff going on. I would definitely call this “nice” but I wouldn’t say it’s particularly compelling, either. The weird dissonant bits are also simultaneously the most interesting and least enjoyable parts of the song for me. Overall though it’s. Fine. (DECENT)

Canada – I don’t know, the bright & sugary sound of this just doesn’t hold much appeal to me, at all. It’s actually fairly diverse for its runtime (though there are moments I do find genuinely annoying) but that hardly matters when I don’t find most of the song that appealing. (MEDIOCRE)

Sweden – Okay maybe just a personal nitpick but I have never, ever, liked the syncopated synth swell effect a lot of electronic stuff does. It makes a song feel automatically generic and a bit annoying. Beyond that this sounds… nice enough, but it really is quite generic. Like I have nothing else to say. It’s just dull lol. (MEDIOCRE)

Republic of Kugelmugel – Musically this has no appeal to me. And otherwise, it’s rap. Yeah, no thanks. (BAD)

Albania – This is actually pretty nice. I just really enjoy the texture the atmosphere of this song has. Instrumentation is maybe a bit simple but it works. Yeah, I can dig this. Don’t know if I really “love” it but I’m on board with it. (GOOD)

Azerbaijan – An 11 minute song called “OMG”. This is gonna suck? Mostly it’s just kind of. A bit too minimal, and with a lot of sounds I don’t find pleasant. Bleh. Not much else to say, not my thing in the slightest. (MEDIOCRE)

Somalia – Start feels a bit disconnected from the rest but as a whole it’s a pretty okay metal song? Can’t say I’m really loving any part of it but the instrumentation is pretty solid & diverse and there’s nothing really offputting so yeah I can dig it. (GOOD)

Latvia – This is just too 80’s for me. I dunno it doesn’t really sound bad or anything but I don’t care for the vocals & the instrumentation is a bit bleh too. I don’t really mind it in any real way though, it’s not bad, just not for me. (AVERAGE)

Iceland – I don’t even know what makes this song work but I know that it does. And I think it’s kind of terrifying too. The rest of this album is way cheerier in comparison, and it’s, pretty alright yeah.
Show
Ever wanted a playlist full of a lot of music I really dig? Here you go.

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

I basically post like I'm always on twitter, ignore my spamminess.
rb
rb
Survivor
rb
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #261 (ISO) » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:23 pm

Post by rb »

Is there an official voting form? Or is it just identifying your top10 in thread?
Sesq
Sesq
Mafia Scum
Sesq
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #262 (ISO) » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:27 pm

Post by Sesq »

aaaaaand i'm back

USA - nice but overproduced jpop.
Kenya - ewww gross. aesthetically its "hey look how indie i am xdxd!!!" music, and the actual music feels like top 40 trash.
Cote d'Ivorie - the more generic side of disney music but worse
Canada - I want to jump out the fucking window right now
Hong Kong - its bland inoffensive metal i guess.

Taiwan - this is mine and i love it. a lot of you think its generic singer songwriter but you're all obviously wrong and I am right clearly.

---GOOD TIER---
Albania
---OK TIER---
USA
Burkina Faso
Fiji
Hong Kong
---MEH TIER---
Somalia
Cote d'Ivorie
---BAD TIER---
Laos
Kenya
---END ME TIER---
Canada

@rb you give points in a link in OP

people post here to give more elaborate opinions i guess
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #263 (ISO) » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:26 pm

Post by Song Contest »

Yeah it's at the top of the post with all the songs in it
rb
rb
Survivor
rb
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #264 (ISO) » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:09 pm

Post by rb »

Wow im blind even after being told had to look twice :@
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #265 (ISO) » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:12 am

Post by Errantparabola »

In post 262, Sesq wrote:I want to jump out the fucking window right now
o_o
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #266 (ISO) » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:04 pm

Post by Parama »

voted. would say on the whole this was an above average contest when taking into account only the songs i liked, since the quality of those averaged a big higher than usual, but there was also a fair bit of bad stuff too so w/e
Show

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

rb
rb
Survivor
rb
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #267 (ISO) » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:09 pm

Post by rb »

yeah i think this was a pretty polarizing contest overall
Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #268 (ISO) » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:55 pm

Post by Max »

so like i listened to many of these songs 3 or 4 times to rank them.

Ecuador
Canada
Afghanistan
Sweden
Nicaragua
Latvia
Bhutan
Somalia
Hong Kong
Fiji

were my final ranks. I think I preferred Kenya to some of these, but I feel weird ranking music that I already own, because it's not so meaningful.

On additional listens some of the more pop tracks shot up and some rock tracks shot down.

Methodology: listen to them all again, either approving or eliminating (reduced to 16). Randomising into groups of 4, ranking (eliminating one from each group) and then doing a merge sort (eliminating a song when going from 2x3s to 1x5) then merge sorting again.
This methodology favours songs that can be listened to repeatedly. I think this might have disadvantaged the rockier tracks. But it also took forever, so I shan't be doing that again. Next time I'd probably just listen to each twice and score them blindly. Eliminate half, then do a blind scoring on this last half.
rb
rb
Survivor
rb
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #269 (ISO) » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:01 pm

Post by rb »

I listened to them all once with the following criteria:
- couldn't finish listening was <4 and just based on how long it took before I turned it off.
> finished but not really interested in hearing again was 4-6 depending how likely to actually end up listening again.
> anything i felt like I'd add to my library or be likely to listen to again was 6-8
> anything that I'd definitely add to library because I'd surely enjoy it again was 8+

I listened again to everything I rated 5.5 and higher. Some went down and some up but because song #9 and 10 in my list were pretty low ratings it didn't change anything.
Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #270 (ISO) » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:21 pm

Post by Max »

In post 260, Parama wrote:Latvia – This is just too 80’s for me. I dunno it doesn’t really sound bad or anything but I don’t care for the vocals & the instrumentation is a bit bleh too. I don’t really mind it in any real way though, it’s not bad, just not for me. (AVERAGE)
Can I just say that this 80s vibe was pretty much why I loved it because I flubbing love 80s music.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #271 (ISO) » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:38 pm

Post by PJ. »

Step 1: read the thread
Step 2: make rude amalgamation of everyone else's comments, but focus on disagreeing with parama
Step 3: random.org
Step 4: ???
Step 5: Profit
Ser Arthur Dayne
Ser Arthur Dayne
Jack of All Trades
Ser Arthur Dayne
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #272 (ISO) » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:05 pm

Post by Ser Arthur Dayne »

In post 250, Dark Horse wrote:Somalia - Intro didn't work at all.
Weird.

I really liked the intro. Basically capturing me with the intro + really nice instrumental at parts + the clean vocals (when the guy wasn't doing screamo) earned it my 12.
vezokpiraka: If you are playing on EUNE we can duo.
chesskid3: I play on NA because i enjoy my freedom.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #273 (ISO) » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:18 pm

Post by Parama »

i'm just proud i've done enough in my life for me to be someone's rival in a music thread on a forum about playing a game where we pretend to kill each other
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #274 (ISO) » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:22 pm

Post by PJ. »

In post 273, Parama wrote:i'm just proud i've done enough in my life for me to be someone's rival in a music thread on a forum about playing a game where we pretend to kill each other
I'll send you a badge of honor.

Return to “General Discussion”