Newbie 1797: Space | Endgame

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
BlackVoid
BlackVoid
Mafia Scum
BlackVoid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1275 (ISO) » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:18 pm

Post by BlackVoid »

@HumanSequencer, if you read nothing else read this:

I've now spent multiple hours on this game over the past week. I'm pretty sure you're town and I suspect that at least a small part of the reason you don't want to engage me is because in our last game, I was scum and you backed off of me after having my predecessor nailed. I'm town here. I'm generally pretty town when I'm town and haven't been mislynched yet. All I'm asking here is that you spend 30 minutes to interact with me in real time before you break that streak. I think the game is far from solved. I'm suspicious of skitter and seem to be the only one. I think esires will flip town. I want to talk about those things and give you a succint summary of where I'm at if you don't want to bother reading the past several pages.

If you lynch me after I've spent so many hours on this game without giving me
30 minutes
of your time, I'm going to be pretty disappointed, dude.
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #1276 (ISO) » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:08 pm

Post by Plotinus »

VC 3.11

Galaxy Cluster Abell 2666

Explanation: The galaxies of Abell 2666 lie far beyond the Milky Way, some 340 million light-years distant toward the high flying constellation Pegasus. Framed in this sharp telescopic image, the pretty cluster galaxies are gathered behind scattered, spiky, Milky Way stars. At cluster center is giant elliptical galaxy NGC 7768, the central dominant galaxy of the cluster. As the cluster forms, such massive galaxies are thought to grow by mergers of galaxies that fall through the center of the cluster's gravitational well. Typical of dominant cluster galaxies, NGC 7768 likely harbors a supermassive black hole. At the estimated distance of Abell 2666, this cosmic frame would span about 5 million light-years.

Image and text credit

BlackVoid
(2): Human Sequencer, esires
L-2

esires
(2): NotTheRealPaul, Dunkerdoodles
L-2

Not Voting
(2): skitter30, BlackVoid

With 6 alive, it takes 4 to lynch.

The day 3 deadline is in
: (expired on 2017-07-06 19:59:10)

Mod Notes

Hi, I'm the backup mod!

-ThinkBig, the moderator, is V/LA on weekends and on Jewish holidays. Plotinus, the backup moderator, will be modding during this time.
-skitter30 is V/LA on shabbat and Jewish holidays.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Human Sequencer
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: all

Post Post #1277 (ISO) » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:27 am

Post by Human Sequencer »

Give me a succinct list of things you want from me, and I'll answer.

I'm not digging through six pages of literal essays to pick apart what you want from me and why you want it. I'm sorry. Give me bullet points.

My number one issue with your play is there's nothing you've done that I think is difficult to fake for you, and everything you've done since replacing in is -exactly- what you would want to be doing as scum right now.
The fact that I can't go more than a page without seeing you talk about how obvtown you're being doesn't dissuade my fears in the slightest. All the content you have is based on old information, and all you've done with skitter is talk about old information. You can make up whatever opinion you want on the matter, better reads are determined upon things that appear genuine that are happening live, things you couldn't plan for.

My metric is different when I'm dealing with somebody I know is skilled as scum, but I don't like the way you characterize my play as lazy and overly fearful. I'm not the only one who's glazing over your posts here, and being wary of skilled players isn't a weakness in the slightest.
nah
BlackVoid
BlackVoid
Mafia Scum
BlackVoid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1278 (ISO) » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:39 am

Post by BlackVoid »

I don't think I've characterized your play as lazy or "fearful." I don't need anything from you. I'm townreading you. If you want to get a better read on me, you're best off playing the game with me in real time. You've asked for content and I've provided it. As town, I'm not going to think about what benefits me as scum and then do the opposite. That's backwards. I just do the best I can to help town win. If some things are the same stuff that would help me if I were scum, then I'd just say those aren't alignment indicative.

In a nutshell, stuff I'm hoping to engage you on:

I think skitter is scum. She spent all of D1 pushing Dunker for bad reasons. I think she bussed Drixx D2. On D3, she's spent a lot of time setting up me and esires to be lynched often with reasoning that feels fake and manufactured.
esires
esires
Goon
esires
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1279 (ISO) » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:40 am

Post by esires »

Sorry for low activity everyone, I'm traveling - I've read through the thread and I do still think BV is setting up for tomorrow by unvoting me and lining up a skitter lynch for tomorrow. I'm sorry if you're town BV since you've put so much effort in but I really do see you being scum.
BlackVoid
BlackVoid
Mafia Scum
BlackVoid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1280 (ISO) » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:51 am

Post by BlackVoid »

Don't be sorry. Try and figure out the game with me and lynch scum (and it's not me).
ThinkBig
ThinkBig
Jack of All Trades
ThinkBig
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1281 (ISO) » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:25 am

Post by ThinkBig »

Searching for a replacement for Dunkerdoodles, who is now on his third prod. If he comes back before a replacement is found, he can keep his slot.
I have officially retired this account. My new account is Virtuoso.
NotTheRealPaul
NotTheRealPaul
Mafia Scum
NotTheRealPaul
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1282 (ISO) » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:24 pm

Post by NotTheRealPaul »

BV what exactly changed ur mind on esires? Because I still think he is most likely scum
NotTheRealPaul
NotTheRealPaul
Mafia Scum
NotTheRealPaul
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1283 (ISO) » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:25 pm

Post by NotTheRealPaul »

I dont think skitters is scum because even tho she didnt full bus drixx or even vote she was actively going against him. Hell she was a big part of what convinced me to keep my vote on drixx.
Dunkerdoodles
Dunkerdoodles
Mafia Scum
Dunkerdoodles
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1284 (ISO) » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:22 pm

Post by Dunkerdoodles »

Sorry think I'm here. I've been reading the thread just found nothing to really comment on. I still think scum is in BV/esires, if Paul is scum I think he wins this game, same for HS. If we lynch esires and he flips town I'm willing to look at skitter. BV has provided so much content that I don't think scum would provide but his slot was still scummy before he replaced in. I'm also willing to interact as I always read the thread, from now on I'll remind myself to post after every time to read the thread so I don't get prodded again and so people know I'm here to interact with. I've also been without my computer as its not working and phone posting is kinda awkward so yeah. Anyways sorry again I'll try and post more.
BlackVoid
BlackVoid
Mafia Scum
BlackVoid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1285 (ISO) » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:20 pm

Post by BlackVoid »

I'm back. Will respond to everything in a bit. Sad to see HS hasn't posted since. @Paul, would you say there's a marked difference in how skitter treated Drixx here versus mariomaniac in the previous game you played with her?
skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #1286 (ISO) » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:22 pm

Post by skitter30 »

lol. I just got here. I'm staying on for a bit to respond to a few things, and then I'm heading to bed.

If you're around, I very much want to hear your explanation for how I'm a viable Drixx partne. I'd also like you to point out the posts that make you townread HS and the ones that make you think HS *can't* be a Drixx partner.
skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh

Post Post #1287 (ISO) » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:30 pm

Post by skitter30 »

In post 1271, BlackVoid wrote:But that post was so scummy. "HS isn't doing shit, I think he's town but you should be scumreading him instead of me." Lol.
OK, this was a misrep. I'm not saying that you should be scumreading him. I'm asking you to explain a double-standard I'm seeing from you. I'm actively doing my best to explain my reads, which are evolving, but my thought process isn't 'chaotic and messy' for you. I'm sorry that I like to present my thoughts in a coherent fashion?

HS has literally just proclaimed you to be scum, and hasn't explained any sort of reasoning. Somehow, those posts, which have like no content, *aren't* lacking the 'chaos, messiness, or deeper thought processes' that you want to see from me. Explain to me why not. Explain to me why you're scumreading me for lacking 'chaos, messiness, and deeper thought processes', but you *aren't* scumreading him for this.

And again, the misrep is that you're saying I'm saying that you should be scumreading him. I'm not saying that. In that post, I'm trying to understand why you seem to be applying different standards to him and to me. I'm not pushing you to change your reads on anyone there. I'm asking you to explain them.
skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh

Post Post #1288 (ISO) » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:46 pm

Post by skitter30 »

For the record, I'm now scumreading you and am just about willing to vote for you. I feel like you're setting me up as a mislynch after esires, and this feeling was compounded by the fact that you started your push on me literally posts after you secured a L-1 vote for esires. At the time, I was indicating I was willing to vote for him; you knew you had the esires lynch in the bag. You need a second mislynch though. Dunker is confi!town, you're now buddying Paul, and you came in the game hardtownreading HS, which would be even harder to walk back from than your townread of me.

Which left me, so yeah, you're pushing me. Scum in your slot has to find *someone* to mislynch, and it looks like you decided to run with pushing me.

I was just about ready to vote esires until you started this push on me, just btw. You had me pocketed for a bit, but this push on me was ill-timed, imo; I think you should've pushed me tomorrow, after we lynched esires, not try to set it up today, because of course I was going to fight back.

Like, I'm willing to continue going back and forth with you, and you're welcome to try to change my mind, but this is where I'm at with you.
skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh

Post Post #1289 (ISO) » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:55 pm

Post by skitter30 »

In post 1278, BlackVoid wrote:I think skitter is scum. She spent all of D1 pushing Dunker for bad reasons. I think she bussed Drixx D2. On D3, she's spent a lot of time setting up me and esires to be lynched often with reasoning that feels fake and manufactured.
1. What are my bad reasons for pushing Dunker?

2. Please explain how you think I'm a viable Drixx partner.

3. Can you point to the reasoning that feels 'fake and maufactured'? Like, it's easy to throw those words out, but I want to see what I've written that makes you think that.
BlackVoid
BlackVoid
Mafia Scum
BlackVoid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1290 (ISO) » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:17 pm

Post by BlackVoid »

@skitter, I'm going to spoiler this post since no one seems interested in reading back and forth walls and are tuning out. I'm writing this post for you basically on the off-chance that I'm completely wrong and you're town in which case it should help you understand my thought process.

Spoiler: For skitter
- My main issue with you saying I'm transparent and townish is that I feel you're placating me while still trying to leave an out to push me. I never said you were "suddenly" pushing me. I just don't think that anything you said about NC is particularly strong and mostly consists of stuff that
could
potentially have scum motivation but also make sense for a town-NC to do. It doesn't make any sense that you'd weigh that as heavily as you would my actual townplay and be "undecided." I'm not saying you shouldn't take NC's play into consideration. It's that the kind of arguments you used against NC could apply to pretty much anyone else.

- I found your confrontational tone out-of-place from the rest of your posting. Scum often don't mind being overly aggressive with each other because they know that it's all fabricated and they don't have to go out of their way to be cordial to each other.

- My guess is that in , you noticed that there was early pressure on your partner and decided that you needed to take a stance there. You took the safe stance - taking a stand against Drixx so that you don't either defend him or ignore him when he's under pressure, both of which could look bad if he flips. Later, when the pressure falls off, Drixx goes on the backburner for you and you instead start tunneling Dunker for "misrepping Drixx." If Drixx was a suspect for you, it seems odd that the person you tunneled all day long was someone who had attacked Drixx.

- I'm not sure what you're asking for here but "being a Drixx partner" is not the primary basis for my scumread on you. It mostly came from how you set up your reads on me and esires like this: "BV-town but NC fits as Drixx partners. esires-scum independently but doesn't fit as a Drixx partner." It doesn't feel like a natural thought process. I don't think I've ever seen town having a thought process like that. It feels catchy, a bit too-tidy, and constructed to appeal to the lowest common denominator. I don't think there's anything that rules you out as a Drixx partner though and from my perspective, knowing that Drixx was bussed for sure, yours fit in pretty well.

/- Will answer these outside the spoiler since that's pretty important for everyone to know.

- You are nitpicking the definition. You didn't explicitly say you thought Drixx was pro-town but Dunker attacked him and you pushed Dunker and with Drixx's flip, it looks suspicious. It actually looks even more suspicious that you didn't call Drixx town because a townie that thought Dunker was scum so strongly would probably be thinking that Drixx is town for the way Dunker pushed on him. But I think you were scum that knew Drixx was scum and didn't want to defend him blatantly.

- I didn't think you were incapable of it, just that I didn't expect you to tunnel as scum. My scumread on you developed later and is based on much stronger reasoning so I'm putting more weight into that.

You're obviously making it look like you're trying to sort the game. That's either town genuinely sorting the game or scum faking gamesolving. I think it's the latter because I don't think the conclusions you drew about me and esires make any sense - specifically the part I mentioned above. It reads like scum who want two equally "strong" arguments to waffle over so that when one of us flips town, you can say that your argument for the other is the one that's right. HS is not doing this. HS is not trying to pretend to solve the game with bullshit arguments. HS is not trying to hide the fact that he has no interest in figuring out which of us is scum. HS's interactions with Drixx are extremely genuine and that makes him town. I'll go over these in my next post. You don't have the same interactions with Drixx so you don't get a pass.

I'm not attacking you for trying to solve the game. I'm attacking you because of your bullshit posturing. HS is not doing this.

By messy or chaotic, I mean probably like how my thought process evolved this game. I started out by suspecting you but thinking Drixx was town if you were scum. Then I read the game and thought Paul was scum. Then I finished reading and thought it was esires. Then I thought it was you. Your thought processes read fake to me because right from when you started to "gamesolve," you only had two options: me and esires. The lynches you need to win. You townread Paul for reasoning that's not bad but you're way more confident in it than you should be. For instance, why wouldn't Drixx say "Paul gets it" to a partner to throw us off? You said yourself that there was nothing for Paul to "get." So, what was he actually doing buddying a town-Paul based on non-existent things? You're also a bit too sure on HS for reasons that I don't entirely follow. is not a strong reason to read him as town. Your play is pretty much "pocket Paul and HS, push me and esires." Your "gamesolving" feels more like you already started out with an agenda and decided what reads you needed to have and how you'd need to approach them.

Your reasons for pushing esires that I didn't like: he didn't vote me to L-1 so he's scum that's not backing up his suspicion of me. That he's scum for "sheeping HS" who he's been scumreading. That he's scum for not re-evaluating his read on me (this is something you parroted from me).
skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh

Post Post #1291 (ISO) » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:23 pm

Post by skitter30 »

I kinda feel like you're just throwing words out there without really backing them up. I feel like your scumread of me came out of nowhere, at a time *very* convenient for you, and that since then, you've been kinda talking *about* me instead of *to* me or *with* me. You're talking with Paul about why you think I'm sketchy, and you seem to be very interested in selling the idea to HS as well. I don't really feel like you're talking to *me* about it.

Namely, you write up all these posts explaining all these allegedly sketchy things I'm doing, and I respond to them, and I don't feel like you're really considering my responses. We're not having a conversation. You're just saying things, and I respond, and you move on the next thing without really responding to what I wrote. I'm not really getting the vibe that you actually care about my answers, or that you're using them to try to sort me. I feel like you're just hoping to keep throwing things at me so that I eventually don't respond to everything, and then you can say that I don't have a defense or something. Like, I feel like you're just trying to overwhelm me with accusations to the point where I can't keep up.

I mean, it isn't going to work. Like, I'm going to continue sitting here and writing my 'novels' that you keep mentioning. If you're going to keep making sketchy allegations, I will patiently sit here and respond to all them, because the things that you're pushing are kinda stupid. And I'd appreciate it if you answered *my* questions at some point, instead of just throwing more things at me to answer.

I've been feeling like there was something off with our interactions for a few days now, but it took me a while before I was actually able to articulate just what it was; writing out this post has basically enabled me to put it in words. This is what I feel like you're trying to do: overwhelm me with words and questions and accusations to the point where I just give up trying to answer you.

And I guess I'm kinda foiling this plan, because you don't seem to have actually expected me to write back to everything.

So yeah. I don't think you're trying to sort me. I think you're just throwing whatever you can at me and are trying to see what you can get to stick.

P-edit: K, I want to go to sleep now, and I'm not going to read this just now. Four minutes ago, the last line of this post was a vote putting you at L-1, but I'll read that first before I do that.
skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh

Post Post #1292 (ISO) » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:25 pm

Post by skitter30 »

Whoops, maybe should have spoiled those posts; that's a good idea because I don't think anyone else is actually reading any of this. But yeah, I'll read it tomorrow.
BlackVoid
BlackVoid
Mafia Scum
BlackVoid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1293 (ISO) » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:29 pm

Post by BlackVoid »

Here's why HS is town: First consider Drixx as a player. Based on my limited experience/reading of his games, he has somewhat of an eccentric playstyle but tends to be competent as scum. If HS was bussing Drixx, I'd expect him to attack Drixx more and have interactions that look like distancing, perhaps be too sure about Drixx being scum, something that looks fake. Here's what I expect from town who knows Drixx: confusion. Not knowing whether Drixx is scum or town that's just drawing attention to himself with weird play. Needing more time to read him. HS's reaction is pretty much exactly what I'd expect from someone who doesn't know Drixx's alignment and is puzzled at his play. His where he says "Drixx knows better as either alignment" while still querying him about his "barren posting" is exactly how I would have approached a similar situation. His D2 response to Drixx basically came when Drixx pushed a case on him and the weirder Drixx's arguments became, the more sure HS became in his read. HS only became deadset upon Drixx being scum when Drixx pushed a completely ridiculous argument against him. Nothing feels like HS had inside info about Drixx's alignment or planned to bus. In fact, it felt like he was genuinely confused at first and then had a revelation that Drixx was scum once Drixx started pushing him. I've looked over a scumgame of HS to see how he busses and most the genuine indicators I noticed here were absent there.
BlackVoid
BlackVoid
Mafia Scum
BlackVoid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1294 (ISO) » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:37 pm

Post by BlackVoid »

Your reason to push me for suspecting you is completely nonsensical. Before I pushed you, Paul townread me, you townread my play or at least weren't willing to lynch me today. HS and esires on the other hand were dead-set on me. You are jumping through so many hoops to justify why I'd attack a semi-ally as opposed to the guy who Paul and even you were paranoid of who isn't reconsidering me in the slightest. Saying my townread on HS would be tougher to walk back on makes no sense given I was also townreading you earlier. If I were scum that decided to "walk-back" on a townread, it would be infinitely easier to agree with Paul that it's probably HS because of complete lack of posting.
BlackVoid
BlackVoid
Mafia Scum
BlackVoid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1295 (ISO) » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:42 pm

Post by BlackVoid »

I don't think I've ever as scum try to "overwhelm" someone with information. When I'm town, I can't stop talking because there are just so many things that fall into place whenever I find a new lead and I just have to unload all of that.

I'm talking "about you" to other people because part of the game is convincing people to lynch your scumreads. I also suspect that part of your strategy is to create so much information overload by responding to each and every single point to make everyone skim the thread so that their reads remain static and they gloss over our argument. It's far more productive to try and assess where everyone else is at and work from there rather than provide point-by-point responses when we're the only ones posting. But I'm not just going to assume I'm definitely right and I have posted responses for your benefit on the off-chance I'm wrong.
BlackVoid
BlackVoid
Mafia Scum
BlackVoid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1296 (ISO) » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:50 pm

Post by BlackVoid »

How does no one see that the timing of skitter's push on me just when I start townreading esires is scummy? She knows that as long as I'm scumreading esires, I'll be the fall-guy and the next lynch would likely be me. But once I started townreading him and refuse to vote him, she'd need to put a LOT more of her credibility on the line to drive home an esires lynch which would hurt her chances of winning in lylo. So, she slowly starts pivoting towards me because esires is still voting me which makes it easier to lynch him next.

@Paul, I swear if you don't lynch skitter when I flip town, I'll be really disappointed. Drixx was going down D2. Skitter doesn't strike me as the kind of scum player who'd go down with the ship. If a partner is doomed, she'd cut her losses and aim for maximum towncred, especially so if she's the roleblocker. By the way, if I were scum, I'd have bussed Drixx largely because I would have had the stronger role.
BlackVoid
BlackVoid
Mafia Scum
BlackVoid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1297 (ISO) » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:57 pm

Post by BlackVoid »

Here's why esires is town:

1. His rationale for townreading Paul is something that I've seen from town many, many times but it's extra-ordinarily rare for scum to fake this kind of reasoning: he doesn't think that he can read Paul better than HS or skitter. Because they're both stronger players than Paul and are hard-townreading Paul, he's assuming that either HS is scum trying to pocket Paul, or HS is town and right. It's something that doesn't look good on the surface and doesn't give you town points so I don't see scum faking that. But I could easily see from town.

2. Him telling Drixx to contribute before he gets nightkilled. Scum might slip by betraying knowledge that their partner is scum. But I don't think they'd make an assumption that their partner is town. He's assuming Drixx is town there because he's giving him the benefit of the doubt and waiting for Drixx to make posts like a town-IC would. And when Drixx doesn't meet those expectations, he scumreads him.

3. His random comments about the nightkill feel like he legitimately hasn't already thought through the fact that scum shot the BP N1. He seems more confused than anything.

4. His ATE when he woke up in the morning and flipped out after seeing the cases on him felt a lot more like town who felt like they couldn't deal with the insane amount of posting rather than scum who were rightfully caught and gave up.
BlackVoid
BlackVoid
Mafia Scum
BlackVoid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1298 (ISO) » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:02 pm

Post by BlackVoid »

About three and a half days left. Please don't hammer until I finish my re-read of the game. I really want to make sure I'm right in townreading Paul because I have a few things that weirded me out and I need to double-check them.
BlackVoid
BlackVoid
Mafia Scum
BlackVoid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1299 (ISO) » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:54 am

Post by BlackVoid »

In post 1288, skitter30 wrote:I was just about ready to vote esires until you started this push on me, just btw. You had me pocketed for a bit, but this push on me was ill-timed, imo; I think you should've pushed me tomorrow, after we lynched esires, not try to set it up today, because of course I was going to fight back.
@Everyone, this post does not come from town. If she were town legitimately thinking I was scum, she'd just make arguments for my lynch and give me advice on how to play better at endgame. Town does not give advice to their scumreads on how to play better in the middle of a game.
The only kind I can see doing it are townies with hyper-rhetoric playstyles and skitter does not come across as that sort of personality at all. This post is so fake.

The only reason she's posting it is to make it seem like she's definitely town but she's overdoing it.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”