Newbie 1797: Space | Endgame

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #1475 (ISO) » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:30 pm

Post by skitter30 »

@BV: I'm sorry for the mislynch on you. I really didn't understand what you were trying to do at the end of the day, and everything you did just screamed 'caught scum' to me. I think we just really misread each other :/
NotTheRealPaul
NotTheRealPaul
Mafia Scum
NotTheRealPaul
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1476 (ISO) » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:35 pm

Post by NotTheRealPaul »

skitters where u planning to sign up next? Id love to play another game with u. maybe we could hydra? I mean ur excellent blending in as scum and town and Idlove to learn from you.

also i really wanna hydra just to see what its like.
NotTheRealPaul
NotTheRealPaul
Mafia Scum
NotTheRealPaul
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1477 (ISO) » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:36 pm

Post by NotTheRealPaul »

that said, im down to hydra with anyone who played here. yall were all pretty awesome :)
esires
esires
Goon
esires
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1478 (ISO) » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:41 pm

Post by esires »

Whoa, post-game Paul gettin' frisky ;)
NotTheRealPaul
NotTheRealPaul
Mafia Scum
NotTheRealPaul
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1479 (ISO) » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:43 pm

Post by NotTheRealPaul »

hehehehehe
skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh

Post Post #1480 (ISO) » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:44 pm

Post by skitter30 »

@Paul: Thanks! Let me PM you to talk about it :)

And I agree! I liked playing with everyone here! This game was enjoyable and non-toxic, and I appreciate that everyone contributed to making the game pleasant and fun!
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #1481 (ISO) » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:16 pm

Post by Plotinus »

Thanks everyone for playing! You guys were awesome! Thanks for modding, ThinkBig!
In post 1456, NotTheRealPaul wrote:I think im allowed to post.

GG esires u played well. I was sooo annoyed at getting NKed bcuz I reread D2 looking at skitters and determined she was town and was ready to come and lynch u D4 lol. Then I get this PM saying im dead and im like wtf cuz I was ready to come win the game.
I know you meant well, and it didn't hurt anything this time, but it's important to stay in the dead thread until the mod says the game is over: in a theme game there might be some mechanic in play that doesn't mean it's over (maybe the person who was lynched was vengeful or something), but even in an open like this, you can always miscount the votes. It's a little like waiting for the final curtain before rushing on stage to congratulate the actors even though you know it's over because the villain just died.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
BlackVoid
BlackVoid
Mafia Scum
BlackVoid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1482 (ISO) » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:03 pm

Post by BlackVoid »

In post 1461, esires wrote:I also feel bad for BV because he was super-town and clearly got frustrated towards the end of D3.
Funny thing is I'm willing to bet anyone that spectated this game would townread me strongly.
(But hopefully no one did because this was flat-out embarrassing for me).

Counting this as a scum loss for myself. And esires, I set you up for success and you really let me down :( This was like my best scumgame ever.
BlackVoid
BlackVoid
Mafia Scum
BlackVoid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1483 (ISO) » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:23 pm

Post by BlackVoid »

In post 1475, skitter30 wrote:@BV: I'm sorry for the mislynch on you. I really didn't understand what you were trying to do at the end of the day, and everything you did just screamed 'caught scum' to me. I think we just really misread each other :/
No need to be sorry. You did everything that I could have expected from a good townie. You read and engaged all of my walls. You heard what I had to say and gave me a fair shot even if everyone thought NC was scummy. Even you read me wrong in the end, it's not a huge deal, and hey I was just as wrong about you as were about me. Also, there's definitely merit to being able to out 1v1 anyone that pushes you regardless of their alignment - you're just likely to win more if you're hard to lynch.

I wasn't upset or anything at the end. I "scumclaimed" because I thought my lynch was a foregone conclusion so my best shot at helping town at that point was to draw out reactions. I'm pretty sure you made your decision to lynch me before that happened though so it didn't change anything. Your reaction was extremely genuine but I didn't recognize it quickly enough. I found your analysis very deep and thoughtful, and if this is your first towngame, I'm very much looking forward to seeing what you'd play like with more experience under your belt. I love having insightful discussions with people who analyze games really thoroughly and the discussions with you early to mid-D3 definitely fit that bill.
BlackVoid
BlackVoid
Mafia Scum
BlackVoid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1484 (ISO) » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:30 pm

Post by BlackVoid »

Overall, I'm pretty happy to have played this game. It gave some awesome psychological insights into my strengths and weaknesses as a scumhunter. I realized I mostly "townread" esires not because his play was town but because I was scumreading skitter which meant that with only one scum, everyone else had to be town. So, I stretched for any bit of reasoning I could to justify townreading esires while ignoring all the incredibly, solid logical evidence that pointed to him being scum. Also, the pressure of feeling like I'm going to get lynched next and lose town the game if we lynched esires and were wrong definitely hurt my ability to think logically and in hindsight, the way I overlooked esires scumminess in the pressure of the moment was absolutely fascinating and revelations like this is what makes mafia so much fun and worth playing - just to see if I can improve on it next time around. (That and my posts clearly amused the mods and if someone laughed, it's worth it).
Draynth
Draynth
Mafia Scum
Draynth
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1485 (ISO) » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:35 pm

Post by Draynth »

This was a fun game to read
"just got my hands in cooking! feel free to give me suggestions. So far completed: noodle in soup, noodle stuffed clam over noodle, red white and bluedle american noodle, hot brown noodle"

Brand New, Improved, Totally Awesome GTKAS
Human Sequencer
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: all

Post Post #1486 (ISO) » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:21 pm

Post by Human Sequencer »

Gg everybody.
In post 1170, esires wrote:Tbh having two people coordinate and gang up like this with walls of text just feels kinda shitty and not fun, so I'm sorta over it guys.

UNVOTE:

VOTE: esires
This is the post that gave your away, esires.
I felt kinda wary picking between you and skitters going into d4, and without posts like this proving how underconfident in your game you're feeling, you could have skirted your way to a victory. With finesse.

I understand, though.
nah
Human Sequencer
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: all

Post Post #1487 (ISO) » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:25 pm

Post by Human Sequencer »

Dunker got away with a lot this game by virtue of being a conftown. Your activity was very low, and what was there was very sheepy and non committal. This is bad as either alignment.
nah
ThinkBig
ThinkBig
Jack of All Trades
ThinkBig
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1488 (ISO) » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:30 am

Post by ThinkBig »

In post 1477, NotTheRealPaul wrote:that said, im down to hydra with anyone who played here. yall were all pretty awesome :)
I'd love to hydra with you if you're interested
I have officially retired this account. My new account is Virtuoso.
NotTheRealPaul
NotTheRealPaul
Mafia Scum
NotTheRealPaul
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1489 (ISO) » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:56 am

Post by NotTheRealPaul »

In post 1485, Draynth wrote:This was a fun game to read
im so sorry for helping get u lynched. I felt bad bcuz u replaced in and then immediately got lynched.

@TB that sounds awesome! I'll shoot u a PM :)
ThinkBig
ThinkBig
Jack of All Trades
ThinkBig
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1490 (ISO) » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:57 am

Post by ThinkBig »

In post 1489, NotTheRealPaul wrote:
im so sorry for helping get u lynched. I felt bad bcuz u replaced in and then immediately got lynched.

@TB that sounds awesome! I'll shoot u a PM :)
Sounds good!
I have officially retired this account. My new account is Virtuoso.
NotTheRealPaul
NotTheRealPaul
Mafia Scum
NotTheRealPaul
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1491 (ISO) » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:59 am

Post by NotTheRealPaul »

@TB gimme like half an hour I need to get ready for school

@Plot sorry bout that. I was just rlly excuted. I'll wait next time
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #1492 (ISO) » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:02 am

Post by Plotinus »

It's okay! I figured you just didn't know the etiquette yet, but you'll need to know it for future games :]

skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh

Post Post #1493 (ISO) » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:34 am

Post by skitter30 »

Sorry about your lynch :/ I felt kinda bad about it, since we lynched you hours after you replaced in, but with Dunker claiming like hours before deadline when most of the players were asleep, I felt like I was between a rock and a hard place, so I picked the least-bad option.

Going into Night 1, I was *pretty* certain we wouldn't be getting a night-kill (I wrote up a whole thing somewhere about what I expected scum to do night1/day 2, which I think TB said he put in the mod thread, so people will get to read it eventually), so I wanted to ensure we got a flip from the first day, since I didn't think we'd be getting one that night.
skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh

Post Post #1494 (ISO) » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:46 am

Post by skitter30 »

In post 1483, BlackVoid wrote: No need to be sorry. You did everything that I could have expected from a good townie. You read and engaged all of my walls. You heard what I had to say and gave me a fair shot even if everyone thought NC was scummy. Even you read me wrong in the end, it's not a huge deal, and hey I was just as wrong about you as were about me. Also, there's definitely merit to being able to out 1v1 anyone that pushes you regardless of their alignment - you're just likely to win more if you're hard to lynch.

I wasn't upset or anything at the end. I "scumclaimed" because I thought my lynch was a foregone conclusion so my best shot at helping town at that point was to draw out reactions. I'm pretty sure you made your decision to lynch me before that happened though so it didn't change anything. Your reaction was extremely genuine but I didn't recognize it quickly enough. I found your analysis very deep and thoughtful, and if this is your first towngame, I'm very much looking forward to seeing what you'd play like with more experience under your belt. I love having insightful discussions with people who analyze games really thoroughly and the discussions with you early to mid-D3 definitely fit that bill.
Yep! I *really* enjoyed playing with you, and I liked your walls a lot. Early-mid day3, you talked me around into a townread on you, which was pretty good because I was *convinced* your slot was scum after we lynched Drixx. Towards the end of the day, I was actually a bit worried that I had let myself get swayed into a townread because I liked your posting style :) I liked the way you analyzed the game and how thorough you were being, and hence you 'inspired' me to do the same :)

First towngame onsite, but I play elsewhere, although the format is kinda different so it's not *quite* forum mafia. As town, I've never gotten mislynched, and I can win 1v1s because I *know* I'm right, and I will argue about it until I get everyone else to agree with me. :) I don't think I can do that as scum, or be as prolific as I was here. It's a lot easier to write that many walls when you know that you're right and know what your opinions are, instead of having to fabricate things on the fly.

I'd definitely like to play with you again :)
Draynth
Draynth
Mafia Scum
Draynth
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1495 (ISO) » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:49 am

Post by Draynth »

In post 1493, skitter30 wrote:
Sorry about your lynch :/ I felt kinda bad about it, since we lynched you hours after you replaced in, but with Dunker claiming like hours before deadline when most of the players were asleep, I felt like I was between a rock and a hard place, so I picked the least-bad option.
It's cool, It was 4am when I replaced in and I hadn't slept so that definitely didn't help my coherence
"just got my hands in cooking! feel free to give me suggestions. So far completed: noodle in soup, noodle stuffed clam over noodle, red white and bluedle american noodle, hot brown noodle"

Brand New, Improved, Totally Awesome GTKAS
NotTheRealPaul
NotTheRealPaul
Mafia Scum
NotTheRealPaul
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1496 (ISO) » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:00 am

Post by NotTheRealPaul »

Isnt Drixx gonna do the IC stuff and post a bunch of thoughts?
NotTheRealPaul
NotTheRealPaul
Mafia Scum
NotTheRealPaul
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1497 (ISO) » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:01 am

Post by NotTheRealPaul »

And isnt their an IC thread? I thought I remember one from last time.
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #1498 (ISO) » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:13 am

Post by Plotinus »

TesXX
TesXX
Mafia Scum
TesXX
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1499 (ISO) » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:19 am

Post by TesXX »

Good game everyone. I was pretty sure we were gonna win after Drixx flipped scum. I actually was starting tl recinsider a few things on Drixx, Paul, and HS but I didn't have the time to say/explain it. The only point I
was
worried about the possibility of town losing was in late day 3 and early day 4, but as d4 progressed I was pretty sure we had this. My win streak has yet to be broken.
If anybody wants me to give feedback tell me and I will do so. This was my first time as SE.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”