mallowgeno
mallowgeno
Mafia Scum
mallowgeno
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #375 (ISO) » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:50 pm

Post by mallowgeno »

Gorny fills Martin's slot. Thanks Gorny!
osuka
osuka
he/him/his
Jack of All Trades
osuka
he/him/his
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: he/him/his

Post Post #376 (ISO) » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:55 pm

Post by osuka »

welcome to the game Gorny! Thanks for joining
Gorny
Gorny
Goon
Gorny
Goon
Goon

Post Post #377 (ISO) » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:08 pm

Post by Gorny »

Greetings and thanks for the welcome.

I've played before, just not recently, and not on the same level as the player base on this site. That said, I'm looking to play again, improve my game and be less rusty :P

I'll read over the last 15 pages to catch up, and answer any questions that come my way.
Scorpious
Scorpious
Mafia Scum
Scorpious
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #378 (ISO) » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:09 pm

Post by Scorpious »

In post 370, NotTheRealPaul wrote:leh me lazy reader.

prob shoulda said this earlier but i skim most of the walls u all post. sooooo *shrugs*

I agree with this actually. There is no "correct" way to play mafia.
I do this too sometimes. Some people use 500 words to say things that could have been said in 50, it gets trite. Especially on D1.

Sometimes it even seems some people judge alignment based on the size of walls,and others know this.
"Would you like to know more?"

I am like a renaissance artist. People appreciate me more after I am dead

Semi-V/LA on weekends..

People always fear what they don't understand
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #379 (ISO) » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:26 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

Welcome, Gorny!

Also, can we get blood for the blood god on Thinkbig anytime soon?
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
NotTheRealPaul
NotTheRealPaul
Mafia Scum
NotTheRealPaul
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #380 (ISO) » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:53 pm

Post by NotTheRealPaul »

reading boring ass walls is too much to ask. seriously u make the act reading section look interesting
NotTheRealPaul
NotTheRealPaul
Mafia Scum
NotTheRealPaul
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #381 (ISO) » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:54 pm

Post by NotTheRealPaul »

In post 378, Scorpious wrote:
In post 370, NotTheRealPaul wrote:leh me lazy reader.

prob shoulda said this earlier but i skim most of the walls u all post. sooooo *shrugs*

I agree with this actually. There is no "correct" way to play mafia.
I do this too sometimes. Some people use 500 words to say things that could have been said in 50, it gets trite. Especially on D1.

Sometimes it even seems some people judge alignment based on the size of walls,and others know this.
Gorny
Gorny
Goon
Gorny
Goon
Goon

Post Post #382 (ISO) » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:04 pm

Post by Gorny »

Ok, I read through the thread and have a few questions before I get into the game itself:

First off, what does Ebwop mean? I've never seen that before.

Second, as to text mafia, that's a new one on me, I'm guessing it's like F2F except that the players write everything on notepads?

I've replaced into Martin's slot, and I have differing playstyle than him:
In post 8, MartinNikolai wrote:So I kind of know how to play this game. Is anyone here a BP? If so, they should probably claim now.

But for now I won't vote until somebody else does something.
I have no problem voting a lynch on someone purely for getting information day 1, however if someone ends up being a better lynch candidate based on what they did or on certain reactions in game, that slot will move higher in priority than a random slot. I am more opposed to a no lynch vs a lynch of
someone
In my mind, a no lynch gives the mafia an easy NK (not counting potential doc or Jailkeeper action), as to the BP strategy that people were talking about, I'm not familiar with it. However since it seems like most have claimed, I will as well.

I AM NOT BP

In post 19, MartinNikolai wrote:plus a nl for the first day wouldn't destroy the town, would it?
I agree that a NL on day 1 wouldn't destroy the town, that said it's still bad for the reasons I stated above. So I am against it.
In post 43, MartinNikolai wrote:Vanilla townies wouldn't learn anything, that's right. But the jailkeep or the tracker would know what strategy to use from that point on. In other words, if a BP exists,
the tracker would know not to out until he gets a "gulity" investigation,
and the jailkeep would know he could get roleblocked. If they learn that there is no BP, tracker can claim and we can do a follow the tracker strategy from there. Altogether, it only serves to help the town PR's. Also if cop exists, and if someone claims BP, cop would know that person is guilty. And if doctor exists and someone claims BP, they know that person is guilty.

It seems like it can only help town PR's in determining what they need to do, when they need to out, etc.

It might help mafia, but it doesn't hurt town.
Whaa huh? (As to the bolded part)

Tracker doesn't get a guilty/not guilty investigation. So while I agree with what Martin said here, I think the tracker claiming is a tricky play, if the tracker investigated player A, and player A, was seen interacting with player B, it's possible that player B could be a cop. So, I think the tracker should claim only if he has a positive result on seeimt a player interact with another player. If, of course the Tracker saw Player A interact with Player B, and B ended up dead...then by all means claim and go for the mafia hit man, on the flip side of that, if the tracker saw A interact with B, and B was alive next day, Tracker should stay quiet and
both
not vote for A, and only claim if A was close to being lynched to save a town player.
NotTheRealPaul
NotTheRealPaul
Mafia Scum
NotTheRealPaul
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #383 (ISO) » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:24 pm

Post by NotTheRealPaul »

ebwop = edit by way of post

aka fany way of saying edit

with long days an no lynch is bad for town. so a no lynch is never acceptable.

tbh discussing theory is kinda dumb bcuz usually neither side is right. its comes down to personal preference so try to steer clear of it and focus more on analysis
Gorny
Gorny
Goon
Gorny
Goon
Goon

Post Post #384 (ISO) » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:33 pm

Post by Gorny »

In post 24, RadiantCowbells wrote:VOTE: Mm4

you're under arrest for borking

Spoiler: Bork!

As to Boon vs. RC:

I feel that the back and forth between them was less alignment related (as to both) and of a more personal nature based on past games. That said, I did not look up past games history between the two.

As to RC's claim of
BP vs NOT BP in his #37
: I'm not sure what to make of it. Raises a slight alarm though because of the flip floppieness.
In post 64, osuka wrote:
In post 63, MartinNikolai wrote:I am not BP either.

By the way, to respond to osuka, if there is a bp, tracker knows that there is no doctor, so he/she would not claim. However, if there is no BP, tracker would know that there is a doctor and we can make a strategy from there.
i maintain that an early tracker claim is retarded
and that i don't like you for suggesting that. if there's no bp, a tracker claim goes one of two ways:

1. tracker claims & doctor is on him, but not by intentional town planning - this is unlikely. scum either hits tracker, or doesn't; in either case, results are: tracker is rendered less effective, and is revealed, so scum wins here

2. tracker claims & town agrees that doctor should be on him, so scum hits someone else - likely course of action. This accomplishes nothing, which makes the reveal literally pointless

i don't understand your thought process
:up: (agree with bolded part leading into points 1 and 2.)

PEdit:
In post 383, NotTheRealPaul wrote:ebwop = edit by way of post

aka fany way of saying edit

with long days an no lynch is bad for town. so a no lynch is never acceptable.

tbh discussing theory is kinda dumb bcuz usually neither side is right. its comes down to personal preference so try to steer clear of it and focus more on analysis
Forgot to mention Im used to a much shorter day period (48 hours), so that influences my thoughts on no lynch vs lynch on day one. Though it's not acceptable either way regardless of day length. Agree with the discussing theory part.
mallowgeno
mallowgeno
Mafia Scum
mallowgeno
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #385 (ISO) » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:36 pm

Post by mallowgeno »

Vote Count 1.8
osuka (3) - Gorny, Mjollnir, NotTheRealPaul
Locke113
NotTheRealPaul
Mjollnir
Gorny
Scorpious
RadiantCowbells
MarioManiac4
ThinkBig (4) {L-1} - RadiantCowbells, Scorpious, MarioManiac4, osuka

With 9 alive it will take
to lynch!

Deadline to lynch is
(expired on 2017-07-22 07:00:00)
Last edited by mallowgeno on Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
NotTheRealPaul
NotTheRealPaul
Mafia Scum
NotTheRealPaul
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #386 (ISO) » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:49 pm

Post by NotTheRealPaul »

yup i used to play another site with 48 hour days so i feel ya.

but with huge day phases a no lynch here screws town.
Gorny
Gorny
Goon
Gorny
Goon
Goon

Post Post #387 (ISO) » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:03 pm

Post by Gorny »

In post 386, NotTheRealPaul wrote:yup i used to play another site with 48 hour days so i feel ya.

but with huge day phases a no lynch here screws town.

Do you mind if I ask what site it was?
Gorny
Gorny
Goon
Gorny
Goon
Goon

Post Post #388 (ISO) » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:03 pm

Post by Gorny »

In post 93, osuka wrote:
In post 92, Boonskiies wrote:I was town reading Osuka pretty hard until the unvote. Seemed a little too worried about a lynch going through. It's not something I'm going to start scum reading him for, but it does make me a little less sure of the town read there.
I know I'm the subject in question but to me that's very interesting. Serious question: wouldn't town want to wait a little before lynching?

But more importantly, wouldn't scum
benefit
from a mislynch? At 9 alive and 2 scum,
there's only a 0.22 (repeating)
chance that it'll not be a townie. And even then, that's assuming a completely random lynch - which would mean completely disregarding the fact that I was the one that initially called martin out on a reveal strat that I thought was shitty on the first place.

I'm just asking because I really wanna learn the thought process - you're both obviously more experienced than I am, and our reads are going the opposite way here. Mjollnir's vote makes me like him a little more for scum, but I have a feeling you guys are gonna disagree with me on that one, and I'm really curious as to why.

As to the bolded part, reminds me of the Leroy Jenkins vid... :lol:

I agree that scum would benefit from a mislynch for sure.
In post 117, Mjollnir wrote:Wasting time is anti-town, so there is plenty of reason to examine why someone is suggesting someone is talking about doing this.
:up:
In post 140, RadiantCowbells wrote:VOTE: Boonskiies

this is basically confirmed scum ftr
I don't buy it this early in the game. I'm not saying that Boon's slot is or isn't scum, I'm saying that there's no proof this early and therefore I wouldn't vote Boon's slot based on that one post. When someone says someone else is scum early in the game and there's nothing (yet) done in that game to base it on, it tends to put up a red flag in my mind and makes the person making that statement lean towards being mafia, even if they are town, giving me me a reason to vote
against
the person making that claim. If this was a game with a night start, I might feel different but then again, if it was a night start, a cop claiming day one is a different story. Since this is a day start, I'm going to stick with not liking it.
Gorny
Gorny
Goon
Gorny
Goon
Goon

Post Post #389 (ISO) » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:11 pm

Post by Gorny »

In post 142, Boonskiies wrote:Now I don't have to worry about that slot at all.

Based on my earlier post about the Boon vs RC interaction and the above quote, I think the Boon vs RC bit is more of a TvT interaction
or
one of
could be
scum. It's not something that outs either one as scum for sure, but rather makes me think one of the slots could be and warrants being watched.

But:
In post 143, Boonskiies wrote:RC's like never read me correctly. If there's a cop, cop me so we don't have to deal with this.

RC knows I'm not a Day 1 lynch ever either.
If Boon was scum...asking to be cop read would be suicide for him next day, so Boon's slot has more town cred for that.

I'm going to skip the rest of the Boon vs. RC back and forth unless someone has a question on it.
Gorny
Gorny
Goon
Gorny
Goon
Goon

Post Post #390 (ISO) » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:40 pm

Post by Gorny »

In post 201, Scorpious wrote:
In post 119, Mjollnir wrote:In other words if you're talking about someone doing something anti-town then there is always a chance that you might have an ulterior motive for saying so.

In fairness though. In mafia,there can be an ulterior motive in anything,really.
Agree with that one totally.

:idea: I just noticed something else about RC, but at this point I don't want to point it out. Will have to wait until later and I won't say what it is even if asked.

Also just realized that Martin had a vote out.

UNVOTE: osuka (unvote based on me not being the one making the vote initially and wanting to base future votes off of what happens from this post forward)

Though I unvoted above, the quote below...:
In post 291, osuka wrote:all aboard the lynch train

im just pissed and really blown away that we're getting to post 300 and the ic slot has achieved jack shit. tb hasn't said fuck all since he subbed in and if he's gonna keep up the pace of 1 page/24h, we might as well get this game day over with and get him lynched. Bear in mind he said he started page 2 over 3 hours ago

I had a scumread on boon and I can barely read tb because he hasn't posted literally anything of substance - though that could be a scumtell, and I just wanna get this slot the fuck out of here. so let's see how l-1 plays out

VOTE: ThinkBig
I'm not going to jump on that one based on what the IC slot may or not have achieved by way of posts. I don't view it as being a scum read. It's possible that people can have IRL emergencies and the like.

- I'm about as caught up with the thread as I'm going to get tonight.
Gorny
Gorny
Goon
Gorny
Goon
Goon

Post Post #391 (ISO) » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:50 pm

Post by Gorny »

Last post for now:

Just saw that I have a vote out on osuka, Im going to UNVOTE: osuka as it was voted by the previous owner of my slot and i want to base my votes off of what happens from this point on.

@mallowgeno: The vote count on osuka isn't correct, it lists 1 vote currently with MartinNikolai, Mjollnir, NotTheRealPaul named behind

Fixed thank you!
Last edited by mallowgeno on Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mjollnir
Mjollnir
Goon
Mjollnir
Goon
Goon

Post Post #392 (ISO) » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:12 pm

Post by Mjollnir »

In post 361, osuka wrote:Since half of the questions asked have been answered already and I'm tired of getting asked the same shit over and over again, i'll just start quoting myself where appropriate.

In 98, I changed my mind and I'm telling you it's in agreement. The tone of the post is in agreement. Look at other posts of mine and you'll see a completely different tone if the parties are in disagreement instead; take 220 for instance.

*quote snip for brevity*

just to be clear: the slot has spoken plenty already. Claiming it hasn't because tb subbed in to do nothing is either naïve or scummy and I don't like it
This quote was not from Post 220, it was from the post you voted TB on in the first place, which is, as you know, the post I took issue with in the first place. If you can show me a post where your opinion clearly changed on Quicklynching then I might call it fair enough, however from my perspective right now it looks like you suddenly did a 180 on your opinion to jump on the TB bandwagon. Post 98 doesn't count by the way, you discuss Mario's idea but you certainly don't seem like you are agreeing with it, just considering the merits.

Boon's spot spoke some, however TB's re-read would have been interesting and probably provided a boatload more content. Seeing as we had 8 days to hear form him I saw no sense pushing his lynch before we hear it.
In post 361, osuka wrote:You knew I liked boon for scum way before 308; I don't have to vocalize my every thought. In case you want me to do that though, here's what's going through my head right now:
I THINK GETTING ASKED REPEATED QUESTIONS IS FUCKING ANNOYING
I'll give you that you mentioned you found him scummy pre-bandwagon. Once..without reasoning..and you ignored a subsequent question from Paul about it which is somewhat unlike you.
Mjollnir
Mjollnir
Goon
Mjollnir
Goon
Goon

Post Post #393 (ISO) » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:50 pm

Post by Mjollnir »

In post 368, RadiantCowbells wrote:Hypocrisy is not a scumtell, it's a hypocrisy tell.
When you're going against your previous stances and arguments without giving good reasons for changing your mind just to jump onto a bandwagon, I'd say that's most definitely a scumtell.

Unreasoned hypocrisy is a bit of scumtell in general I'd argue. If you have stances, then generally the only reason you'd go against them without giving a good reason why is for an ulterior motive.
Mjollnir
Mjollnir
Goon
Mjollnir
Goon
Goon

Post Post #394 (ISO) » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:26 pm

Post by Mjollnir »

Welcome Gorny, thank you for replacing in :)

There's a lot of opinion there. What I would say is that there isn't a lot of reads there though, most of those are "could be, couldn't be", the only solid read you gave was Boon getting towncred for saying he wanted to cop to investigate him to clear him (a great point btw). I would like you to let me know your current scumreads, and also any strong townreads you have too, and why too.

Also your mention that you have noticed something about Radiant but don't want to say until later raises an eyebrow too. Is it something scummy you have noticed or something else? If it's something scummy I don't think it's a good idea to keep it secret until later today for reasons highlighted in Post .
MarioManiac4
MarioManiac4
Jack of All Trades
MarioManiac4
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #395 (ISO) » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:40 am

Post by MarioManiac4 »

POP QUIZ

Q: Who's online?
MarioManiac4
MarioManiac4
Jack of All Trades
MarioManiac4
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #396 (ISO) » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:40 am

Post by MarioManiac4 »

A: ThinkBig!
Gorny
Gorny
Goon
Gorny
Goon
Goon

Post Post #397 (ISO) » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:14 am

Post by Gorny »

Mjollnir - it's something else. Not scummy for sure but I don't want out there yet.

I'll go over scum and town reads soon.
osuka
osuka
he/him/his
Jack of All Trades
osuka
he/him/his
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: he/him/his

Post Post #398 (ISO) » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:15 am

Post by osuka »

In post 382, Gorny wrote:Tracker doesn't get a guilty/not guilty investigation. So while I agree with what Martin said here, I think the tracker claiming is a tricky play, if the tracker investigated player A, and player A, was seen interacting with player B, it's possible that player B could be a cop. So, I think the tracker should claim only if he has a positive result on seeimt a player interact with another player. If, of course the Tracker saw Player A interact with Player B, and B ended up dead...then by all means claim and go for the mafia hit man, on the flip side of that, if the tracker saw A interact with B, and B was alive next day, Tracker should stay quiet and
both
not vote for A, and only claim if A was close to being lynched to save a town player.
tracker and cop are mutually exclusive in this setup
In post 390, Gorny wrote:I'm not going to jump on that one based on what the IC slot may or not have achieved by way of posts. I don't view it as being a scum read. It's possible that people can have IRL emergencies and the like.
he's been talking in site chat for fucks sake

also I know youve talked a bit about boon's slot but do you have anything else to share on a potential boon read?

i like gorny as a player so far because he's quoting old and new posts alike and showing everyone that he's
reading the fucking thread
MarioManiac4
MarioManiac4
Jack of All Trades
MarioManiac4
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #399 (ISO) » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:16 am

Post by MarioManiac4 »

reading the thread is boring can we just read thinkbig's iso instead
oh wait there's nothing there

Return to “Completed Newbie Games”