Mayweather v McGregor

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #40 (isolation #0) » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:25 am

Post by PJ. »

In post 6, zoraster wrote:Frankly whoever managed to market a marquee match between someone who has zero boxing matches and someone who is 49-0 should be viewed as one of the all time greats in match promotion.
This.

And funnily enough it was the fighters themselves.

~~~~

I seriously think there is only one path to victory for MacGregor and the hint does not lie in the Pacquiao match (which was as one sided as it gets) but in the Maidana one. If he makes it dirty and grinds Mayweather, he has a real chance.

It always cracks me up reading stuff like what KTS and hippo said (to be fair I only read 1 paragraph of kts) because it seems to always come from people who don't get the intricacies of either sport. Mayweather is legitimately the greatest defensive boxer of all time. He is the perfect fighter for the Philly shell. Another thing about boxing, it's not really fighting like MMA is fighting. There are A LOT of rule, also the glove size makes it both his to defend and harder to knock some out (spreads impact out cause surface area). That's why in boxing the most vicious ko artist in history are all guys that weight 250-300 pounds, and aside from crucial defensive lapses you don't see many shot kos.

MacGregor is a much better "fighter" than Floyd in the sense of an unsanctioned match. But this is not that. This is a sport with a rule set to which one guy has been perfecting a style for for the last 20 years and he's one of the GOATs. Boxing doesn't punish age as much as other sports (b-hop, foreman both won titles in their 50s). MacGregor can win but what's most likely is Mayweather peppering him for 12 rounds, going WAY up on the cards, and winning a decision
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #43 (isolation #1) » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:54 am

Post by PJ. »

TIL Conor is the only fighter who trains hard and watches tape. Apparently no one who's ever boxed Floyd has ever tried watching him fight before. And the greatest defensive boxer of all time never put on footage of any of his opponents. Just shut up dude.

Oh 1 more thing, Floyd has only won 2 fights by ko in 12 years. But apparently winning by decision is against the worst boxer he's ever faced is going to be some kind of weakness?

Just sit down, shut up and strap in for some point fighting bruh
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #45 (isolation #2) » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:00 am

Post by PJ. »

In post 41, ConManMick wrote:It's McGregor
Sorry, phone autocorrect adds the A.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #48 (isolation #3) » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:21 am

Post by PJ. »

Mayweather by decision is +250.

It was +300 a couple weeks ago.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #49 (isolation #4) » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:58 am

Post by PJ. »

you tell me who trains harder. Just saying. Macgregor "plays touch butt in the park" to train. Mayweather actually trains.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #55 (isolation #5) » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:08 pm

Post by PJ. »

In post 50, pickemgenius wrote:if mayweather doesnt ko mcgregor in 2-4 rounds then ill be very surprised.

im not a massive boxing dude but this fight is a fucking joke.
I bet the decision but a later round KO is certainly in the cards simply due to volume. Nowadays, Floyd only puts away guys that are VASTLY inferior boxers(think victor ortiz). Only other KO in the last 12 years was a past it Ricky Hatton. He didn't even put away past it De La Hoya(who is a similar size to Mystic Mac), beyond past it Shane Mosley, or scrub ass Andre Berto.

So I think unless Conor is worse than I think he's going to be, think Mayweather point fights him.
Killthestory wrote:that's a lot of paragraphs for shit i don't want to read "but kts mayweather trains hard!!" tell me the date of those pictures compared to his recent training exercises and get back to me without out of date sources: : )

"but but lots of fighters watch tapes" they didn't watch the tapes where floyd fought pacquiao as an older fighter and noticeably slower

"but but he's an all time defensive boxer champion" ok and

"But wait if they box they hit hard" mcgregor is one of your harder hitters in the mma and his legs are a huge boon to him but with those taken out it's just going to be his killer left hand. floyds power doesn't equate to conors at all that's a literal joke
Dude, all you have to do to see Mayweather working out hard as fuck is go to youtube and search it, There are like 1000 videos of him in the gym for McGregor. Meanwhile, mcgregor is shagging tennis balls with the pool noodle guy.

Straight up, I don't think McGregor is going to be anywhere near the level of boxer it's gonna take to be able to outbox floyd and KO him. I DO THINK CONOR HAS A PATH TO VICTORY, but it's straight up not as pretty and elegant as everyone(including the man himself seems like) think. He needs to be watching Andre Ward, Bernard Hopkins and that Maidana fight with Mayweather. He needs to be looking to go into the clinch and do every cheap 6 inch punch in the fucking book. He needs to be doing that straight arm walk your opponent around the ring and move sideways so he cant punch over the arm huge ass fucking cheat thing that Andre Ward used a ton against Carl Froch. He needs to bully Mayweather. He needs to put Mayweather in the fucking mud, run the gas tanks just by putting the weight on and basically fight as dirty as possible under the Boxing rule set, not give a single fuck about losing points, and just press and press and press and press until he gets an opening to unload.

My money is on Mayweather putting on a point fighting clinic and hitting with unprecedented volume(Diaz already proved conor is infinitely hittable and he;s mediocre by boxing's standards of boxing).

Also KTS, you seem to not understand how either boxing or MMA works if you think Conor's striking is being done a favor by removing takedowns and kicks. You should probably watch some fights. Just watch the footwork.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #61 (isolation #6) » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:33 pm

Post by PJ. »

tell me what I "misinterpreted" because i'm pretty sure i didn't misinterpret shit.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #65 (isolation #7) » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:19 pm

Post by PJ. »

I don't think this fight has a "face". They are both p awful.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #66 (isolation #8) » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:21 pm

Post by PJ. »

In post 58, rb wrote:he's older than ever.
McGregor is also older than ever. Every day that guy just keeps getting older and older. So old. Imagine how much older he'll be by Saturday. Like...5 days!!
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #68 (isolation #9) » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:06 am

Post by PJ. »

Sorry, I don't give ridiculous commentary a serious response. Saying someone is "older than ever" is just a dumb statement. Sorry, I have a hard time engaging in this conversation with any of you in good faith because I don't feel any of you, with the possible exception of Zor know what you are talking about and have just said dumb shit like Conor is the hardest hitter, hardest worker, most cerebral fighter in the world and because he's Irish he has the most heart and Mayweather is an old bum with no power. Idk man, if you want to ride Conor's dick blindly that's fine man, but don't get upset with me for telling you that you're wrong and poking fun at how ridiculous you and rb are.

Saying your worried about Mayweather being 41 is fair, but I've already addressed that point I believe. If I haven't, I'll leave it at that I'm not worried about his age until I see signs of his reaction time and visual acuity slipping. I firmly believe because of the way he fights that he still has another 8 years in him if he wanted. Has he had trouble with southpaw fighters? Sure. But it's not like he has no experience against rangy fighters, southpaws, or hard hitters. The guy is the best of his generation and the greatest defensive fighter of all time and has fought guys who have the weapons Conor brings to the table with better technique. I'd wager that Canelo hits every bit as hard as Conor. Also I think you guys are overstating the size difference. 1 inch height, 2 inches of reach is not some insurmountable difference, especially if Conor is loading up on the left hand.

Quick summary, of everything I've said in thread and how I feel about the fight in general. I think Conor will be outclassed but has a path to victory (dirty boxing and turning the match in a brawl). I think that the match being boxing is far more interesting than it being an mma contest(couture-toney killed any interest I have in another boxing to mma crossover). Mayweather will very likely outbox the likely novice McGregor because McGregor has been outboxed by lesser boxers(diaz, twice). I think the hype is a very funny thing, especially in regards to theveryone meaning the outcome has for mayweather (beating Marciano fake undefeated record) . I have my money on a decision (literally) but that was before I knew about the 8 Oz gloves, might hedge the bet. I think Mayweather will definitely show his pedigree as a point fighter but never underestimate volume.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #70 (isolation #10) » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:43 am

Post by PJ. »

man, you're a fucking idiot.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #75 (isolation #11) » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:59 am

Post by PJ. »

In post 35, rb wrote:It's the fact that he's probably the hardest hitting southpaw Floyd
In post 42, rb wrote:It's the fact he's actually a very cerebral fighter and he studies every opponent he's going to fight in great detail. Conor trains with fluidity and emphasizes being adaptive to whatever fighter he's against. All fighters do this to some extent but Conor really, really studies his fight matchups and I dare say that he's basically made his career off his punching power and his dedication to outstudying his opponent
In post 0, Killthestory wrote:conor is unlike anything floyds seen before. he's not going to give any fucking respect to his opponent or keep a normal stance. he'll bite ur fucking ear off and not care lol.,plus conor can alternative and he doesn't give a fuck whichever hand knocks him out.

if not any of those, the irishll never surrender. they'll fight tooth and nail for victor6, and conors with that enthusiasm and national pride.
In post 19, Killthestory wrote:boxing is just smacking people with ur gloves
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #77 (isolation #12) » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:07 pm

Post by PJ. »

i've been refuting both you idiots

It's fine. Gotta enough fire for both you and him. It's cool man, I get it. You're poor and you're mad that Mayweather is not poor and you love the racist white guy. It's fine man. Be ignorant. Ride the dick. Then make sure you don't talk about Boxing or MMA after this fight because you don't know a fucking thing about either. You or RB.

dumb as rocks the both of you.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #79 (isolation #13) » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:24 pm

Post by PJ. »

PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #80 (isolation #14) » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:29 pm

Post by PJ. »

PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #81 (isolation #15) » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:40 pm

Post by PJ. »

PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #90 (isolation #16) » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:24 pm

Post by PJ. »

In post 87, rb wrote:
In post 85, chamber wrote:He was. He stopped eventually. I don't think he started it.
Can you point out the part where somebody was apparently arguing not in good faith that makes it fine for him to tell people to shutup and call them fucking idiots?.
The part where you're a fucking idiot.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #93 (isolation #17) » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:35 pm

Post by PJ. »

Your points have been just flat wrong. It's easy to accuse me of strawman Ning cause all your points are strawmen. Fiction not fact.

Conor isn't any more cerebral or adaptable then the next guy. He's not the hardest hitting southpaw or the hardest hitter period Mayweather has fought. He's not the biggest. He's not the strongest. His footwork is garbage by boxing standards.

And your first post was a vague "there are many reasons", cause what, there aren't. Conor is an amateur. He's been outboxed by mediocre boxers on more than one occasion.

But hey man, feel free to put your aussie dollars where your mouth is. Will that shut you up. I already got 500 on Mayweather by decision. I'm willing to put 200 american on Mayweather straight up if you are up for. And that's a fact.

Put up or shut up bb.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #95 (isolation #18) » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:39 pm

Post by PJ. »

I'm talking to rb. Let's go kid.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #99 (isolation #19) » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:58 pm

Post by PJ. »

Agreed
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #102 (isolation #20) » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:05 am

Post by PJ. »

No. I think that contributed to my extra rudeness in this thread. I'm just a very sad man. The biggest stars in my 2nd favorite sport are a trash human, a guy who'd rather box and earn a billion dollars then defend a title, a pro wrestler who hasn't pee'd hot in his last fight and hasn't won a fight otherwise in 7 years, a guy who hasn't fought in 4 years, and a girl who hasn't won a fight in 2 years and is on her way to pro wrestling.

I'm just sad man. JJ was our chance at a fighting champion and a fighting legit draw. He has deprived us of the opportunity to watch the best to ever fight in MMA and deprived himself the opportunity to fight.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #108 (isolation #21) » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:42 am

Post by PJ. »

Mighty mouse can't sell. Dana knows it.

I love Max and I think he has potential to be a draw, but isn't yet (also I'm of the opinion that Max got screwed by the judges in the Conor fight). He probably needs to beat Conor to be a star.

El Cucuy is a real joy to watch, he's a mad man, but he DEFINITELY needs Conor to become a star cause LW and I also am not sure he's the best LW. Justin Gaethe is a landmine and he's boring in and out of the ring. Khabib is hilarious out of the ring and actually an interesting wrestler for lay people cause of the slams in ring but he's limited upside due to limited English and being Russian. Barbosa could be a hero but again, english.

Unless machida fights cosplayed as Ryu idc.

~~~~~

@shea, how do you feel about me saying Conor can win if he makes it a brawl with dirty boxing a la maidana or B-hop?
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #111 (isolation #22) » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:08 am

Post by PJ. »

I'll rewatch some of justin. I might be thinking of not him to be honest.

Joe B not a prelims guy, ftr.

I'll buy khabib as star when he makes it. I'm rooting for him but not counting on it.

Edit: @shea: I think that is 100% a fair point but even if he loses points, I don't think he has a shot without taking it there.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #115 (isolation #23) » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:36 pm

Post by PJ. »

I think there is a very slim chance of it being entertaining.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #116 (isolation #24) » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:44 pm

Post by PJ. »

PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #118 (isolation #25) » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:44 pm

Post by PJ. »

Hey man, he is still a legend of the boxing ring. What he does behind closed doors with fishnet is none of my business.

What you got against a dude crossdressing?
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #127 (isolation #26) » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:57 am

Post by PJ. »

Idk man. The Pacquiao fight was easy af to stream. Can't imagine this will be any harder use the interwebs my dude.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #136 (isolation #27) » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:40 pm

Post by PJ. »

In post 135, Bins wrote:think i have a good one, ill PM you
throw me a pm too
cause i'm not even startiong to look until 745
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #151 (isolation #28) » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:21 pm

Post by PJ. »

does anyone wanna do a discord for this fight?

main event starts at 8

https://discord.gg/PSuS7n

i have z sodaplayer info. find me in the discord.

yo bins watch the fight with us

RB too, i need a dissenter in here
Last edited by PJ. on Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #153 (isolation #29) » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:27 pm

Post by PJ. »

get in the discord friendo
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #156 (isolation #30) » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:53 pm

Post by PJ. »

discord for all your needs, just saying
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #158 (isolation #31) » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:38 pm

Post by PJ. »

yeah it's on though. It was delayed at 7. bro.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #160 (isolation #32) » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:55 pm

Post by PJ. »

I do zzzz
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #162 (isolation #33) » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:58 pm

Post by PJ. »

nope. do it yourself bro. google is your friend. fight delayed anyway.

edit: we live bb
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #178 (isolation #34) » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:16 pm

Post by PJ. »

Lol what.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #191 (isolation #35) » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:55 pm

Post by PJ. »

In post 179, Killthestory wrote:the man would have to be superhuman to be like around 45 and still be able to win

hes a wonderful fighter but i dont know if thats really possible.

am i wrong? >nonsarcasm
Like I said earlier in the thread, I'm not worried about floyd's age until he starts losing visually acuity and reaction time. I guess also If he gets out of shape it'd be pretty hard to get back in shape to the extent he'd need, but if he wanted to I think he could easily get 3-4 more years in but he wants to be done.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #192 (isolation #36) » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:02 pm

Post by PJ. »

Also I'd like to say that outside of the first round, McGregor looked like shit. Footwork bad, looked slow for the duration, and he gassed fast. I can honestly say he physically looked worse than I thought. But I can also say that he made the fight exciting and better than I thought simply by pushing the aggression from the first bell, until he started running out of steam in the 4th.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #198 (isolation #37) » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:59 am

Post by PJ. »

Yeah, it happens every time there is a big Mayweather fight. It sucks.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #200 (isolation #38) » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:18 am

Post by PJ. »

Like 10 years? Basically once mma started growing beyond a niche sport and they needed a term for both boxing and mma.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #201 (isolation #39) » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:19 am

Post by PJ. »

Also the fight was certainly entertaining.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #214 (isolation #40) » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:40 am

Post by PJ. »

10 pt must is fine for boxing. It's trash for mma.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #218 (isolation #41) » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:16 pm

Post by PJ. »

Are you sure that wasn't just the showtime card?
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #220 (isolation #42) » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:09 pm

Post by PJ. »

Say some ucla boxing girl saying McGregor won Rd 2 and lost 3. I thought 2 was more Mayweather and 3 was the close one. 1 was definitely McGregor and I think everyone agrees. Lots of fan boys getting mad and say boxing is corrupt cause not all 3 judges had Conor 3 rds up.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #221 (isolation #43) » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:19 pm

Post by PJ. »

Also weirdly enough, Moretti is actually suspect of being a Floyd guy in boxing circles. Has judged 11 of the last 16 Mayweather cards, including the last 6 in a row and has turned in some cards that seemingly gave Floyd the Champion's rub.

Take that as you will I guess.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #230 (isolation #44) » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:39 am

Post by PJ. »

@shea, yeah foot work is an mma thing. You aren't allowed to have your feet as set as in boxing due to having sprawl takedowns. Stance is also probably a little wider for the same reason. Basically the biggest obstacle going in either direction is the footwork. Using boxing footwork in an mma match is a good way to end up on your back, aND using mma footwork in boxing is a good way to be off balance when being attacked. It just a lot less obvious to people who don't watch combat sports. Posted a gif of Conor being out struck in mma matches a couple pages back, footwork is largely the same.

I really didn't think he won Rd 2 but maybe I was seeing what I wanted to see and not what I was actually seeing.
Last edited by PJ. on Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #231 (isolation #45) » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:40 am

Post by PJ. »

Also is there a boxing version of fightmetric?
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #247 (isolation #46) » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:01 pm

Post by PJ. »

In post 233, Thestatusquo wrote:
In post 230, PJ. wrote:@shea, yeah foot work is an mma thing. You aren't allowed to have your feet as set as in boxing due to having sprawl takedowns. Stance is also probably a little wider for the same reason. Basically the biggest obstacle going in either direction is the footwork. Using boxing footwork in an mma match is a good way to end up on your back, aND using mma footwork in boxing is a good way to be off balance when being attacked. It just a lot less obvious to people who don't watch combat sports. Posted a gif of Conor being out struck in mma matches a couple pages back, footwork is largely the same.

I really didn't think he won Rd 2 but maybe I was seeing what I wanted to see and not what I was actually seeing.
Also, the stance/hand positioning thing too? I assume thats mma. You can't be as hyper focused on guarding the face/torso in MMA I assume again because of kicks and take downs. It looked like he was hedging against being attacked in spots you will never be attacked in boxing. At least to someone who knows boxing but not MMA.

Is this accurate?
Glove size plays a role. Putting your hands by your face isn't as helpful with bare hands/four ounce gloves vs the much larger boxing gloves.

I know a lot less about striking than I do grappling to be honest. Only punching I've ever done was karate when i was a kid(which is less helpful than watching fights regularly). I wrestled some in high school and did some jiu-jitsu
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #256 (isolation #47) » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:17 am

Post by PJ. »

In post 254, T-Bone wrote:Yes, BJJ makes you very proficient in activities that would be inappropriate for me to type out...so use your imagination.

RUBBER GUARD!!
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #257 (isolation #48) » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:18 am

Post by PJ. »

In post 255, Thestatusquo wrote:
In post 248, Killthestory wrote:
In post 237, Untrod Tripod wrote:am I the only person in the world who isn't a boxing/mma expert jfc
me in every thread
This is in direct contrast with how much you act like you know what you're talking about tho

Weehaw
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #259 (isolation #49) » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:23 am

Post by PJ. »

Oh boy
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #268 (isolation #50) » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:13 am

Post by PJ. »

Image works to the body too.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #270 (isolation #51) » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:12 am

Post by PJ. »

Second gif is with the heel.

that seems like the heel too.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #275 (isolation #52) » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:07 pm

Post by PJ. »

Yeah Cung Le.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #280 (isolation #53) » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:13 pm

Post by PJ. »

In post 279, Thestatusquo wrote:god I hope not.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #281 (isolation #54) » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:05 pm

Post by PJ. »

In post 278, TwoInAMillion wrote: Everyone in boxing is more concerned with making money than an actual good fight.
Also this isn't true. It's not even particularly close to being true. It's just that most Americans, especially white Americans, do not watch boxing thus mainstream media does not cover it often. It doesn't get the love year round that even MMA does at this point(some of that has to do with concussion research - which is also slowly but surely taking down American Football - and having an extraordinarily prominent example of the effects of having a prolonged career getting punched in the head). But it not getting the media coverage outside of guys who are stars inside their communities having super fights doesn't mean there are no good fights. Anthony Johnson retired one of the gtrstedt heavyweights of all time in Wladimir Klitschko in April. Andre Ward knocked out Sergey Kovalev in June. There was a double title defense on HBO the same night as the McGregor match(one of which involving a retiring all-time great in Miguel Cotto). Number 1 Cruiserweight in the world and WBO champion Oleksandr Usyk is defending his belt against a top 10 opponent in Marco Huck on Saturday as part of the World Boxing Super Series (essentially a who's who of Cruiserweight boxing). GGG vs Canelo is in less than 10 days from this post, and they are the 2 best middleweights in the world. Gilberto Ramirez is defending his title against a top 15 opponent the week after. The WBA, WBC, and IBF super welterweight titles are all being defended ON THE SAME CARD a month from now(which admittedly would be a lot better without some weird boxing politics having prevented Lara vs Andrade being on the card in favor of Lara fighting up-and-comer Terrell Gausha).

Great boxing is happening, mainstream media and most of America just isn't paying attention.

Is boxing perfect? No. Could the matches be better? Certainly. But they aren't that bad as they stand with all-time greats and top ranked champions defending their titles basically every week. All those matches are happening in the heavier weightclasses, I didn't even touch on the lower weight classes.

Edit: honestly man, you've been posting a lot in numerous threads on GD and you honestly seem to have very little idea of what you're talking about in any of the subjects and it's simply exasperating to constantly have to be like "no, you're wrong, I think you should of done a little Google fu before posting this" after basically every post you make, so maybe before you post anything, hit up the Google to make sure you're even in the ballpark.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #285 (isolation #55) » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:57 am

Post by PJ. »

Right, I said Boxing has problems, but it's not the matches, which is basically exactly what that guys thesis statement is. It's not a lack of big name fights. GGG vs Canelo is legit 2 guys who make p4p lists fighting for a prominent title. The issue is the only people that care are mexicans and eastern europeans, despite them advertising non-stop during the McGregor stuff.

Go back to the drawing board, bud.

Glad you googled up and article that agreed with me, tho.

pedit: i wasn't sure on the source either, but I read the first paragraph and was like, I just fucking said this.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #287 (isolation #56) » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:17 am

Post by PJ. »

And we are telling you that you are wrong. And for all it's non-competitiveness, MacGregor-Mayweather was actually wildly entertaining for the first half.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #295 (isolation #57) » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:30 pm

Post by PJ. »

GGG and Canelo both showed up. LET'S GOOOOOOO!!!!

Get hype for the fight of the year!
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #298 (isolation #58) » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:36 pm

Post by PJ. »

For canelo? Or mayweather? And buy food before cause bar food ducks and is pricy, you amateur.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #300 (isolation #59) » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:51 am

Post by PJ. »

In post 299, Killthestory wrote: also probably mayweather canelo fight is soon and it'll be coool.

ummm I have bad news for you

PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #302 (isolation #60) » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:12 am

Post by PJ. »

oh gotcha, there's a comma there that's not actually there.

I figured he may have called ahead, cause if it's about the Mayweather fight, he took a REALLY long time to cry about a cover charge, one that is super fair at that. Given how much it cost for a bar to carry any fight, let alone a 100 dollar one, and the fact that even if you buy 1-2 drinks, some food, tip and the cover, you're still looking at saving ~50 bucks(and that's cali prices) and it's not like going out to the bar cost TOO much less than 50(i've definitely blasted through more than that when I went to bars).

Canelo fight is 80, so the cover is a little less reasonable, but still ~30 bucks, also I'm assuming that there won't be nearly as many stream snipers for Canelo/ggg considering the almost complete lack of media coverage so that option will probably be far less inconvenient(there were plenty of people who panic bought the Mayweather fight simply because the stream snipers were too strong).
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #304 (isolation #61) » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:06 pm

Post by PJ. »

We ended up just watching it in Portuguese.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #306 (isolation #62) » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:13 pm

Post by PJ. »

It's gonna be a fucking firefight man. I'm not putting money on it simply because they are gonna be throwing down and I think either guy can get knocked out. I think Alvarez is the better all around boxer but GGG is certainly the bigger stronger fighter. My gut says ggg by ko, my heart says Alvarez outboxes him and gets a late ko or hard fought decision. One thing I'm willing to bet on is that this fight is going to be worth every dollar of the ppv price.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #308 (isolation #63) » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:41 pm

Post by PJ. »

I think that both could, but I don't mind that sort of thing (I watch MMA so like...I've definitely paid for the 13 second kos and shit). I don't think it's going to that fast but it could conceivably end before the 6th, yeah. You know how I said with Mayweather to strap in for some point fighting? This is the opposite. Get your popcorn ready, this is going to be an 80's action movie. Lots of explosons and lots of violence.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #310 (isolation #64) » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:55 pm

Post by PJ. »

I think it's worth getting, the undercard should be good boxing too, with a title Elim and and a pile of top 10 guys, it'll be good. Although it's little guys(lightweights, featherweights, junior featherweights), so be warned there I guess. The physically largest guys are gonna be ggg and Canelo being middleweights.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #311 (isolation #65) » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:58 pm

Post by PJ. »

PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #312 (isolation #66) » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:07 pm

Post by PJ. »

Shout out to this rivera kid for coming into this fight with the 9 best featherweight in the world and taking the fight to him on only 4 days notice. This kid is a fighter man. We might be hearing about him in a few years.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #313 (isolation #67) » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:01 pm

Post by PJ. »

118-110 CANELO?!?!?!?! Jesus. I hate Adelaide Byrd.

Return to “General Discussion”