Newbie 1838: Pirates vs Ninjas: GAME OVER!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
wilky
wilky
Mafia Scum
wilky
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:31 am

Post by wilky »

In post 22, Bellaphant wrote:@nauci, RVs is never too early for a wagon.

Actually, everyone: discuss!

IC post in the am.
I agree with this. A wagon from RVS can move the game into a more serious stage pretty quickly and gives scum less time to hide in the randomness.
Nauci
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:00 am

Post by Nauci »

Hmm that's a good point.

I'm just glad acid changed avatars so I can stop continuously confusing their gender.

So, is this anyone's first game on the site?
wilky
wilky
Mafia Scum
wilky
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:55 am

Post by wilky »

In post 26, Nauci wrote:Hmm that's a good point.

I'm just glad acid changed avatars so I can stop continuously confusing their gender.

I've played one full game on site.
Blooper
Blooper
Townie
Blooper
Townie
Townie

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:17 am

Post by Blooper »

:left:

Do you still prefer to not vote for a wagon?
Alonzo
Alonzo
Mafia Scum
Alonzo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:20 am

Post by Alonzo »

In post 19, Nauci wrote:Hello Alonzo! I'm not mafia this time so I will not try to drive a mislynch wagon for you! But I may need to drive a proper scum lynch one. Are you mafia?
Hello Nauci....

This is a loaded question!

err I am scummy.... =) but not mafia no!
smilefires
smilefires
Townie
smilefires
Townie
Townie

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:50 am

Post by smilefires »

In post 28, Blooper wrote:

Nauci is voting though?
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:58 am

Post by fferyllt »

Vote Count 1-2

acidphoenix
(2): Bellaphant, smilefires
Blooper
(2): wilky, TheGoldenParadox
smilefires
(1): acidphoenix
TheGoldenParadox
(1): mozamis
Nauci
(1): Blooper
Bellaphant
(1): Nauci

Not Voting
(1): Alonzo

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch.

Deadline: December 16, Midnight US Eastern Time.

Countdown: (expired on 2017-12-15 21:00:00)

Mod Notes:

I'm traveling today. I'll check in via phone when I can.
- :]
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
mozamis
mozamis
Jack of All Trades
mozamis
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:23 am

Post by mozamis »

In post 29, Alonzo wrote:Hello Nauci....

this looks nervous and self conscious, could be scum.

VOTE: alonzo
You've reached that age, Listy. 24, 25...Your muscles give up, they wave a little white flag of surrender and without any warning at all, you're suddenly a fat bastard...
mozamis
mozamis
Jack of All Trades
mozamis
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:26 am

Post by mozamis »

In post 30, smilefires wrote:Nauci is voting though?
getting involved in the game, posting a fair bit, provisional town read.

P.O.E- process of elimination is a really useful tool for catching scum. like if we can rule 5 people out because they are so obviously town, then catching 2 scum out of 4 would be good odds.
You've reached that age, Listy. 24, 25...Your muscles give up, they wave a little white flag of surrender and without any warning at all, you're suddenly a fat bastard...
wilky
wilky
Mafia Scum
wilky
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:43 am

Post by wilky »

In post 33, mozamis wrote:
In post 30, smilefires wrote:Nauci is voting though?
getting involved in the game, posting a fair bit, provisional town read.

P.O.E- process of elimination is a really useful tool for catching scum. like if we can rule 5 people out because they are so obviously town, then catching 2 scum out of 4 would be good odds.

That is assuming that you would be right on the 5 ruled out though...
mozamis
mozamis
Jack of All Trades
mozamis
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:50 am

Post by mozamis »

well, yeah, but you'd be surprised how often you CAN do that if people post a lot, give out loads of reads, be helpful and transparent - in general be really town
i find it's often easier to work out who is town than who is scum.
mozamis
mozamis
Jack of All Trades
mozamis
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:50 am

Post by mozamis »

@ wilky; any thought son who is scum/town?
wilky
wilky
Mafia Scum
wilky
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:56 am

Post by wilky »

In post 36, mozamis wrote:@ wilky; any thought son who is scum/town?

Alonzo's pings me as forced but apart from that nothing catches my attention.
Nauci
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:46 am

Post by Nauci »

In post 28, Blooper wrote:

I've already plopped down a vote so I'm just going to see what Bellaphant and Acid post today.
In post 29, Alonzo wrote:
In post 19, Nauci wrote:Hello Alonzo! I'm not mafia this time so I will not try to drive a mislynch wagon for you! But I may need to drive a proper scum lynch one. Are you mafia?
Hello Nauci....

Not the answer I expected. This is an odd answer!

Dislike
In post 35, mozamis wrote:well, yeah, but you'd be surprised how often you CAN do that if people post a lot, give out loads of reads, be helpful and transparent - in general be really town
I agree.

Though last game I was scum and played a super duper Towny game until my partner accidentally hammered and then claimed tracker day 2 o_o
smilefires
smilefires
Townie
smilefires
Townie
Townie

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:41 am

Post by smilefires »

mozamis' strategy is fine. It's not like he'll never revisit those reads if he expects he's mis-clearing someone.

I suppose the bit that bugs me is that it's super easy to make a lynch order that way, or at least be "fine" with exactly the number of lynches that wins the game for scum. Fine place to start though; it can be easier to find town than scum.
mozamis
mozamis
Jack of All Trades
mozamis
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:06 am

Post by mozamis »

all reads subject to change, of course. p.o.e is just one way of finding scum, just a way of creating a lynch pool for the day.
already i'm thinking you and wilky town.
so scum 2 out of 6! early days lol
@ nauci the site "Meta" is to vote when you don't like something. Obviously, you can do what you like, everyone has thier own playstyle.
BUT: I was very cautious with my vote early on, until i realised that there is no better way of pressurising people to post than voting for them. Likewise, if you dont vote, very little happens.
my way of saying: vote for alonzo!
mozamis
mozamis
Jack of All Trades
mozamis
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:09 am

Post by mozamis »

actually Naucci prob town as well.
mozamis
mozamis
Jack of All Trades
mozamis
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:10 am

Post by mozamis »

So scum in Alonzo, Golden,Blooper, Acid, Belle???
wilky
wilky
Mafia Scum
wilky
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:24 am

Post by wilky »

On re-reading I think Blooper's can be seen as a soft townslip aswell, Scum! Blooper would have probably realised he couldn't post pre-game when the PT was made and had it rectified then.
wilky
wilky
Mafia Scum
wilky
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:25 am

Post by wilky »

For now though VOTE: Alonzo the post I already mentioned from him just looks far too forced to come from town.
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:30 am

Post by Bellaphant »

Ic stuff! Mostly stolen from Thor and Plotinus

Spoiler:
Welcome to the Newbie Queue! For some of you this may be your first game. I'm the IC: That means Inexperienced Challenged - I'm here to introduce you to ideas, theories and be an example of a playstyle. I also have to answer any questions you have about theory honestly (the SEs can answer, but the honesty rule doesn't apply :P). I'll also include some hints and tips, in this spiel, of things to look at so you aren't discovering what terms mean months into your mafia life! (I only learnt what LAMIST meant last week!). I can't lie to you about mafia theory, but I will play to win.

I have the same chance of being town or scum as anybody else here!

The rules for how I have to behave towards you guys are all written up here: http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?tit ... _a_good_IC If I break these rules, I won’t be allowed to IC again in the future.

THE WIKI
There are lots of good articles on the wiki, you should check them out. Good places to start are | http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?tit ... _Mafiascum http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?tit ... e_to_Mafia

If someone uses a word you don’t know, check here: http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?tit ... reviations

There are lots of other articles that can help you:http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?tit ... y_Articles

GAMEPLAY
Read the rules in Post 1! Every mod has slightly different rules and it’s important to always know what the rules are in this game.

We usually start out with RVS or Random Voting Stage. Right now, there isn't much information - and scum have more than town. We start by voting (perhaps at random, maybe because you don't like someone's avvie, etc) and move on from there. As town, your votes are your weapon. We don’t want to lynch anybody right away, though! We have 2 weeks and we don’t need to take all of them but we need to take as much time as we need.

Try to post at least once a day, more often if you can. Being active helps other people to read you and figure out that you’re town and avoids lurker suspicion if you are town (also, how are you gonna mislynch the lovely townies if you don't post?) Generally, don't lie as town, and don't self-vote.

Have fun, and don't be a dick!

POWER ROLES AND CLAIMING
If you have a power role, you shouldn’t claim unless you’re about to be lynched (L-1 with intent to hammer), which on the first day means 4 people are voting you and 1 more person has said they want to vote for you. Later on, you should only claim if you know somebody is guilty or if it is LYLO (day 3 if we don’t lynch any mafia, later if we do.)

Even if you are a vanilla townie, you shouldn’t claim for no reason because the mafia is trying to figure out who the power roles are and if you tell them you are vanilla then you just make it easier for them to find the power roles! Again, don't lie if town.

Sometimes scum lie and claim they have a role that they do not. If someone claims, some roles can counterclaim. If you have a role PM related reason to believe someone is lying it is very important for you to claim and speak up!

ADDITIONAL STUFF

Pressing Reply (rather than just replying at the bottom of your screen) allows you to do things like vote, direct to individual posts etc. Lemme know if you have any questions.

At the bottom of the screen is a link that says “Bookmark this topic”. You should click that and then you can always find the game in your Bookmarks.

At the top of the screen there is a link that says View your posts. You can see all the threads you’ve commented on there.

If you don’t have an avatar yet please get one!

You can iso people by looking at the activity and clicking on their posts. This will allow you to see one person's post in isolation.
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:38 am

Post by Bellaphant »

In post 23, Nauci wrote:

IC post in the am.
Pffft you're just scum wanting me to mislynch Acidphoenix!

VOTE: Bellaphant
I like this. Assuming it's a jokey vote, it seems relaxed for scum.

In post 25, wilky wrote:

IC post in the am.
I agree with this. A wagon from RVS can move the game into a more serious stage pretty quickly and gives scum less time to hide in the randomness.
yupp
In post 35, mozamis wrote:well, yeah, but you'd be surprised how often you CAN do that if people post a lot, give out loads of reads, be helpful and transparent - in general be really town
In post 42, mozamis wrote:So scum in Alonzo, Golden,Blooper, Acid, Belle???
This all seems really weak advice. Scum can be town leaders, and town, especially pr twn, can lurk. The best town play is to be open, but anyone generating a scum pool this early seems fake. or ridiculusly optimistic.

In post 43, wilky wrote:On re-reading I think Blooper's can be seen as a soft townslip aswell, Scum! Blooper would have probably realised he couldn't post pre-game when the PT was made and had it rectified then.
is this a fakeable thing, wilky? I noticed this too, but am unsure it means anything.
wilky
wilky
Mafia Scum
wilky
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:54 am

Post by wilky »

In post 46, Bellaphant wrote:
In post 23, Nauci wrote:
In post 43, wilky wrote:On re-reading I think Blooper's can be seen as a soft townslip aswell, Scum! Blooper would have probably realised he couldn't post pre-game when the PT was made and had it rectified then.
is this a fakeable thing, wilky? I noticed this too, but am unsure it means anything.

It would take a bit of planning to be fakeable in my eyes. Of course, however it could be fakeable.

I was caught out with being unable to post in my first game and if your account incorrectly gets flagged as a possible alt then you are limited to commenting in the queue threads and the help threads. So for Blooper to fake this he would have had to co-ordinate the whole thing early on when he realised he couldn't post in the PT. I'm personally inclined to town read him from it.
Alonzo
Alonzo
Mafia Scum
Alonzo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:07 pm

Post by Alonzo »

In post 32, mozamis wrote:
In post 29, Alonzo wrote:Hello Nauci....

this looks nervous and self conscious, could be scum.

VOTE: alonzo
Bad read

Bad Vote
Alonzo
Alonzo
Mafia Scum
Alonzo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:09 pm

Post by Alonzo »

In post 37, wilky wrote:
In post 36, mozamis wrote:@ wilky; any thought son who is scum/town?

Alonzo's pings me as forced but apart from that nothing catches my attention.
Good Read..
But Later... Bad Vote

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”