Dance of the Title Fairy: Accepting Applications

A subforum entirely dedicated to the discussion of titles. The title fairy has carte blanche in this subforum.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #3975 (ISO) » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:59 am

Post by Porochaz »

In post 3958, UC Voyager wrote:
In post 3957, Cheery Dog wrote:
In post 3951, UC Voyager wrote:Nom Cythwflyguy for
just one more day

This nom is because of a game I was in with them recently. It was nightless. The scum team was me, zulfy, lucky2U and Cythwflyguy. By day 4, all of us had been lynched except Cy. Then Cy made it all the way to day 8 before they finally got Cy. It was truly bad ass. They made it day after day. Everyone was thinking they were scum, but would miss lynch a townie.

If you have ever seen hacksaw ridge, you would know that the main character would say "just one more". When I would look at this game, that is what I would think of because Cy survived through each day with all the odds against them.

All I can say is they proved themself as a total bad ass scum.
Titles based on one game are bad ideas.
how come?

I mean? what are you supposed to base them off of? how they act outside of games? This is a site for mafia. titles for mafia games would only make since.
In post 3959, Annadog40 wrote:Games. Not game.
I think that about sums it up. Titles are for something notable. A significantly large proportion of people can state they have done this, even more so they can say they won there respective games, so this really isn't notable. It only becomes a thing if it happens repeatedly or is a really exceptional example of it happening (which doesnt sound like this) It sounds like good play but that's it.

Also whilst Im here I'll also counter-nom lolbalance. For the reason that either directly or indirectly it's encouraging bad modding practices and once again isn't really that unique to that one person (see Tarh)

Titles on this site are meant to be unique for something memorable. It felt like that standard slipped a long time ago, and as Im not around enough, I haven't checked if thats been improved in recent years. These titles don't seem that special, this site may have gotten bigger, but gaining a title before was an achievement, like you had made a mark, through some unique play, a memorable funny moment, or some style/quirk/opinion that made you stand out in game/chat/gd. Not for winning a game or making a game that's unbalanced.
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #3976 (ISO) » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:58 pm

Post by mastina »

I think people seem to take 'lolbalance' at face value as just meaning the games run were inherently and necessarily badly balanced with zero care taken (as in, they think lolbalance = "fuck balance") when that is not the actual intention behind the title/practice and the standard meant to be emphasized in both the modding and the resulting title is more an emphasis on creating an enjoyable game which players know what they are getting in for when they sign up.

As an example, when players play a mastina-modded game, they have a fair idea it will feature something unconventional...to the point where when I ran a setup which was conventional, it being conventional was itself unconventional. (I literally ran games called "Hilariously Unbalanced", after all, meaning a player signing up for them knew that balance was intentionally not a focus of the game.)

So the point is more, when players play in an Alisae-modded game, they know that Alisae designed a complicated, complex game featuring many weird, unusual mechanics that developed intricate, quirky, unique interactions and so on and so forth, where a focus on entertaining the players is given and both sides are meant to enjoy the experience of the game and feel like they had a fair game...

...Even if the game was not, itself, balanced.

Alisae's run at least three micros which fall under that category for me, where balance is tricky to say if it was locked down or not, and yet the intention for fun to be had was made abundantly clear. Alisae's refined eir modding over the year, too. Alisae may have had a shaky start with games like Railgun, but every progressive Alisae game after that has gotten more and more refined with the formula of enjoyment, more or less.
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #3977 (ISO) » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:13 pm

Post by Not_Mafia »

tl;dr
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #3978 (ISO) » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:20 pm

Post by Firebringer »

In post 3976, mastina wrote:I think people seem to take 'lolbalance' at face value as just meaning the games run were inherently and necessarily badly balanced with zero care taken (as in, they think lolbalance = "fuck balance") when that is not the actual intention behind the title/practice and the standard meant to be emphasized in both the modding and the resulting title is more an emphasis on creating an enjoyable game which players know what they are getting in for when they sign up.
Do you really think this?
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #3979 (ISO) » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:57 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

Why are we, then, giving this title to Alisae and not the number of other notable current/former mafia mods who have been known to create hilariously bastard&complex setups?
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
Vijarada
Vijarada
Goon
Vijarada
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3980 (ISO) » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:36 pm

Post by Vijarada »

nominate tarhalindur for lolbalance
nominate wgeurts for lolbalance
get a warrant
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #3981 (ISO) » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:28 pm

Post by vonflare »

In post 3980, Vijarada wrote: nominate wgeurts for lolbalance
nth
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #3982 (ISO) » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:32 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 3977, Not_Mafia wrote:tl;dr
OMFG
CAN WE
NOMINATE MASTINA
FOR
TL;DR
!?!?

It is literally perfect!

Actually, all lower case, like their name.
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #3983 (ISO) » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:59 pm

Post by SleepyKrew »

To be clear: quack
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #3984 (ISO) » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:03 pm

Post by Firebringer »

Who the hell is that
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #3985 (ISO) » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:24 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

Wtf
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #3986 (ISO) » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:25 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

Skrew, why must you dash my dreams!? :(
- Jingle
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #3987 (ISO) » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:51 pm

Post by vonflare »

skrew is the title historian
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #3988 (ISO) » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:55 pm

Post by SleepyKrew »

nah I just remember being in a game with him before
To be clear: quack
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #3989 (ISO) » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:14 pm

Post by Davsto »

See mastina where you're wrong is that you think we dislike the title because we misunderstand it whereas we actually dislike it because we think it is bad
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #3990 (ISO) » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:45 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 3979, animorpherv1 wrote:Why are we, then, giving this title to Alisae and not the number of other notable current/former mafia mods who have been known to create hilariously bastard&complex setups?
To some extent...we have. That's the whole fucking point. The title has a previously established record for a similar premise--
similar
, but not
identical
. Alisae's own games, own take on things, is individually eirs. It is unique to em, and em alone. lolbalance, in spoilered rainbow text, however, is associated with Alisae. Not those other mods. It is an unusual trait which Alisae has a very specific version of, thus why it is title-worthy in the first place.

It is both unique to em, and yet has a precedence of things similar-yet-not-identical to it being title-worthy. This is not a hard concept to grasp--a trait which is notable as being title-worthy with precedence, and yet is still in its current form for the user, unique and befitting to them and them alone. The general idea behind lolbalance may apply to other mafiascum moderators. The specifics of lolbalance apply only to Alisae.

An easy example for me to cite is my first title, Unabridged--people may forget it, but I was not the first user to have a title for being verbose. (I'd have to look up which other user or users had titles for it, but I know they exist.) Verbosity is not a trait unique to me, even if I am the poster child of it. And it is even a trait which can be thought of as not inherently a good thing. However, because it is also not inherently a bad thing, the title was given regardless.

And for me, lolbalance is the same way. It is not inherently a bad trait. It is not an absolutely unique trait. However, it is a trait unique to Alisae to the point of being one of the main things I think about when I think of Alisae on mafiascum--lolbalance as a descriptor of essentially eir moderation philosophy.

There's over seven billion humans alive right now--you don't have to look very far to find similarities between some small amount of random people. Yet when those similarities are examined deep enough, with their intricacies exposed, each individual is unique in their manifestation of those otherwise-similar traits. And for me, Alisae's unique individual manifestation of this trait is perfectly encapsulated by spoilered rainbowtext lolbalance, whereas it wouldn't be for other mods.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #3991 (ISO) » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:57 pm

Post by mastina »

To put it another way:
There is a happy middle ground for me when it comes to titles--
Precedence for a title, and individuality of a title.
If there is no precedence for giving a title of the nature suggested, then it is often called into question if we should give that title when there is no precedence for it.
If there is a precedence for a title, then the individuality, the uniqueness of the title is called into question; people wonder what makes it title-worthy if other scummers are known to have something similar.

These two ideals exist at opposite extremes in conflict, and for me, an ideal title is somewhere in-between the two.

I feel Alisae for spoilered rainbowtext lolbalance strikes the perfect balance of those ideals--there IS precedence to award a title off of unusual, quirky moderation habits, most (in)famously, Tar. And yet, the spoilered rainbowtext lolbalance is also something which is unique to Alisae, in that it encapsulates eir specific manifestation, their unique take on things, their individual personality, making it something special and meaningful to them specifically.

I further feel that it is not awarding something negative and quite the opposite is acknowledging something which has been positive since there is little doubt that most players in Alisae's games have had nothing but high praise for em, overall. The title isn't demeaning or insulting or meant as a joke or something really temporary; it has lasting power. And I feel it fits, it is appropriate for em. Plus, I simply don't agree with it being a bad title. I've shown my disagreement with the objective points raised about it being a bad title, and I can't really do anything about people who just subjectively think it's not a good title, can I? Except voice that I think it is a good title.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #3992 (ISO) » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:14 pm

Post by PJ. »

okay, in a year if lolbalance is still a joke, we'll consider it.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #3993 (ISO) » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:42 pm

Post by Porochaz »

I think then, that the title needs refinement or time, either way rainbow text is not a good solution. It might make it unique to Alisae, but titles also need to not be headache inducing.
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
nancy
nancy
Jack of All Trades
nancy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3994 (ISO) » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:50 pm

Post by nancy »

I didn't realize people took these titles this seriously.

I nthed it because Alisae is my friend... :shifty:
:2017-2018:
hi meet my mafiascum gravestone, the flowers were probably left by camn or schadd or Prism, blow them kisses for me would you?
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #3995 (ISO) » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:15 am

Post by Psyche »

i knew it!
You can't step in the same river twice.
Cheetory6
Cheetory6
MS Painter
Cheetory6
MS Painter
MS Painter

Post Post #3996 (ISO) » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:02 am

Post by Cheetory6 »

Ban Nancy!
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #3997 (ISO) » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:02 am

Post by PJ. »

In post 3996, Cheetory6 wrote:Ban Nancy!
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #3998 (ISO) » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:13 am

Post by Annadog40 »

In post 3997, PJ. wrote:
In post 3996, Cheetory6 wrote:Ban Nancy!
This is my life now

Once you have 100 posts, click here to go to the page to join the speakeasy group.
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #3999 (ISO) » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:31 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

Bancy
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?

Return to “Player Titles”