Star Wars (Spoilers)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #225 (ISO) » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:32 pm

Post by DeathNote »

Darth Vader scene gave me a hard on. I get the impression some of you are just arguing against for the sake of arguing. It's ok to like what other people like.
Looking for love in Alderaan places.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #226 (ISO) » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:23 pm

Post by zoraster »

no, i'm really not. I don't see how Darth Vader in that movie added to it. I get that as like... a video game trailer or something it might be cool, but as a part in Rogue One: A Movie Made By a Studio it makes little sense.
Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #227 (ISO) » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:28 pm

Post by Ginngie »

For a huge critic of star wars movies I dont get how you dont know the simple stuff

Oh what was darth vader doing during the beginning of a new hope?

Having his presence be there in the very beginning boarding the escape ship.

what was darth vader doing during the end of rouge one(the bloody prequel to a new hope)?

Chasing the bloody ship they escaped in.

It's really fucking simple and I dont get how you can complain about that.
Shoutout to PJ and Nahdia for making my amazing new avi :)

Following the previous dozen pages that cropped up in the last 10 hours I would like to congratulate Ginngie for being drunk with distinction. - Vi
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #228 (ISO) » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:29 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

yeah idk i can get my OMFG NOSTALGIA NERDGASM from a ton of fan fiction. that whole vader ending was cool but felt like fan fic rather than an actual film

p.edit: i see you missed like...the entire point of zor's post
green shirt thursdays
Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #229 (ISO) » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:34 pm

Post by Ginngie »

That was just me answering point 1 :roll:

Following the previous dozen pages that cropped up in the last 10 hours I would like to congratulate Ginngie for being drunk with distinction. - Vi
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #230 (ISO) » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:38 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 222, zoraster wrote:
In post 221, Ginngie wrote:If the darth Vader scene gave you no joy then i am so sorry for you
As the video I posted pointed out:

1. Why does Darth Vader, a guy who is basically not in the movie otherwise, get to end Jen Orso's movie?
2. It's filmed in this weird way that makes it seem like Vader is awesome and we're supposed to cheer him on. We just had a movie where supposedly we're supposed to care about the people who did all this stuff to help the rebellion. But the movie ends (other than Leia's "hope" thing) with Vader being badass. Like now we're supposed to cheer on this horrible embodiment of everything that the crew was giving their lives to defeat? It's so weird and inappropriate.
3. He slaughters some defenseless goons. Oh boy. That's so cool.

In reality, it's an admission from the movie that it wasn't strong enough to actually stand up on its own and some sort of fan service to get people back on board and tie the movie better into the overall series was needed even if that inclusion is ridiculous.
The first point was not "Who even is Darth Vader!?!?!?!"

the first point was "This is supposed to be a self-contained narrative centering around Jyn Erso and yet the showstopping climax and finale is all centered around Vader, rendering Jyn's story obsolete"
green shirt thursdays
Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #231 (ISO) » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:41 pm

Post by Ginngie »

In post 222, zoraster wrote:2. It's filmed in this weird way that makes it seem like Vader is awesome and we're supposed to cheer him on. We just had a movie where supposedly we're supposed to care about the people who did all this stuff to help the rebellion. But the movie ends (other than Leia's "hope" thing) with Vader being badass. Like now we're supposed to cheer on this horrible embodiment of everything that the crew was giving their lives to defeat? It's so weird and inappropriate.
I actually think this point is up to the interpreter because what I get from the scene is what I think makes a great villain; one who makes you think "oh fuck, everyone's fucked" and have this fear factor like "oh what is he gonna do" and I do expect it to be a spectacle, a thrill I guess I'd call it.

Also I remember watching it in theatres and when people were dying and the beam finally wiped out the surface I was sad and shit, kinda depressing but after the Vader scene I was so hype and happy and leaving the theatre I could come out all excited and talk in this elated tone. So not to end it on a sad note, they put in that scene to lift up your spirits so you come out happy.

Dunno if that makes sense, hope it does.

Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #232 (ISO) » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:42 pm

Post by Firebringer »

In post 230, xRECKONERx wrote:
In post 222, zoraster wrote:
In post 221, Ginngie wrote:If the darth Vader scene gave you no joy then i am so sorry for you
As the video I posted pointed out:

1. Why does Darth Vader, a guy who is basically not in the movie otherwise, get to end Jen Orso's movie?
2. It's filmed in this weird way that makes it seem like Vader is awesome and we're supposed to cheer him on. We just had a movie where supposedly we're supposed to care about the people who did all this stuff to help the rebellion. But the movie ends (other than Leia's "hope" thing) with Vader being badass. Like now we're supposed to cheer on this horrible embodiment of everything that the crew was giving their lives to defeat? It's so weird and inappropriate.
3. He slaughters some defenseless goons. Oh boy. That's so cool.

In reality, it's an admission from the movie that it wasn't strong enough to actually stand up on its own and some sort of fan service to get people back on board and tie the movie better into the overall series was needed even if that inclusion is ridiculous.
The first point was not "Who even is Darth Vader!?!?!?!"

the first point was "This is supposed to be a self-contained narrative centering around Jyn Erso and yet the showstopping climax and finale is all centered around Vader, rendering Jyn's story obsolete"
The story is about getting the Death Star plans?
Jyn Erso is basically just catalyst to get the plans to rebels

The story has basically been centered around Death Star the whole movie, Jyn isn’t really focus she is just reacting to everything
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #233 (ISO) » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:43 pm

Post by Ginngie »

In post 230, xRECKONERx wrote:the first point was "This is supposed to be a self-contained narrative centering around Jyn Erso and yet the showstopping climax and finale is all centered around Vader, rendering Jyn's story obsolete"
So when Jyn Erso dies the movie is just supposed to end right there?

When she's dead she can literally no longer be part of the movie

Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #234 (ISO) » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:47 pm

Post by Ginngie »

As for point 3 about Darth Vader slaughtering goons

I mean yeah you have a point but like, what else do you expect him to do, like there really isn't any jedi to fight.

xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #235 (ISO) » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:56 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

how about just not have him in the story??

i dunno. every scene with vader felt forced and tacked on with all the dad jokes. all, what, so we can get a scene near the end where we're supposed to be liek WOOO YEAH VADER after a grueling 2 hours of watching the rebels die one by one?

it just felt so tone deaf and felt more like a filmmaker saying "NOW LET'S PUT FUDGE BROWNIES ON TOP OF THE ICE CREAM AND DRIZZLE IT WITH CARAMEL...AND THEN LET'S ADD IN SOME FRUIT LOOPS ON TOP! AND SOME CHOCOLATE CAKE!" without realizing that it's too much
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #236 (ISO) » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:01 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

also this

green shirt thursdays
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #237 (ISO) » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:02 pm

Post by Firebringer »

The whole tone of movie is pretty much of.
Nitpicking that scene is like saying the lightsaber fight in phantom menace was out of place because rest of movie sucked (probably not a good comparison)
Last edited by Firebringer on Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Show
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #238 (ISO) » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:02 pm

Post by Ginngie »

It's so hard to talk about something subjective :/

xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #239 (ISO) » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:02 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

we were responding to that scene because this was said
green shirt thursdays
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #240 (ISO) » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:04 pm

Post by hiplop »

In post 231, Ginngie wrote:
In post 222, zoraster wrote:2. It's filmed in this weird way that makes it seem like Vader is awesome and we're supposed to cheer him on. We just had a movie where supposedly we're supposed to care about the people who did all this stuff to help the rebellion. But the movie ends (other than Leia's "hope" thing) with Vader being badass. Like now we're supposed to cheer on this horrible embodiment of everything that the crew was giving their lives to defeat? It's so weird and inappropriate.
I actually think this point is up to the interpreter because what I get from the scene is what I think makes a great villain; one who makes you think "oh fuck, everyone's fucked" and have this fear factor like "oh what is he gonna do" and I do expect it to be a spectacle, a thrill I guess I'd call it.

Also I remember watching it in theatres and when people were dying and the beam finally wiped out the surface I was sad and shit, kinda depressing but after the Vader scene I was so hype and happy and leaving the theatre I could come out all excited and talk in this elated tone. So not to end it on a sad note, they put in that scene to lift up your spirits so you come out happy.

Dunno if that makes sense, hope it does.
Were you like "oh fuck everyone is fucked" or happy because you contradicted yourself like 4 times in this one post. The fact that you're happy that the villain slaughtered the heroes of the film shows its a fucking terrible film
third best scummer of all time
Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #241 (ISO) » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:06 pm

Post by Ginngie »

if it made me happy then it cant be a bad film lmfao

not in my perspective lmao

hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #242 (ISO) » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:08 pm

Post by hiplop »

It literally means the story didn't work for you
third best scummer of all time
Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #243 (ISO) » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:09 pm

Post by Ginngie »

I'm so confused

If I got entertainment value and enjoy rewatching the whole thing over and over

how does it somehow fail me?

Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #244 (ISO) » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:11 pm

Post by Ginngie »

I think where you're at fault is thinking I only enjoy the Darth Vader scene when in reality I enjoyed every bit of the movie and that's the story

Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #245 (ISO) » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:07 pm

Post by Firebringer »

In post 240, hiplop wrote:Were you like "oh fuck everyone is fucked" or happy because you contradicted yourself like 4 times in this one post. The fact that you're happy that the villain slaughtered the heroes of the film shows its a fucking terrible film
Or happy that rebels succeeded in mission and got the plans?
Show

zakk
zakk
Jack of All Trades
zakk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #246 (ISO) » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:16 am

Post by zakk »

why did phasma even surrender in force awakens when they were holding a gun on her... if in last jedi HER ARMOR REFLECTS LASERS???

lmao rian johnson even introduces weird continuity problems with TFA, let alone the giant crap he took on the original trilogy characters...

like, goddamn dude, how the hell did you sell them on letting you direct THREE MORE?? i imagine the conversation went something like:

rian johnson: "kathleen seriously i have a whole list of ideas like porgs and shrek... its gonna be mad wicked gr8 m8, like episode 8"

kathleen kennedy: "ok dude sounds good just sell a lot of toys and push that SJW agenda, idgaf what you do as long as that happens : )"
permanently retired

see here for more info
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #247 (ISO) » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:39 am

Post by zoraster »

Maybe it deflects only at certain angles. We don't really see enough to know how well the armor works in all situations.
SJW agenda
scotmany12
scotmany12
Mafia Scum
scotmany12
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #248 (ISO) » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:59 am

Post by scotmany12 »

Still love TLJ
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #249 (ISO) » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:19 am

Post by DeathNote »

Yeah awesome movie. Second only to rogue 1.
Looking for love in Alderaan places.

Return to “General Discussion”