2017 NFL Football

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Aronis
Aronis
Just here for the Pagetop!
Aronis

Post Post #2000 (ISO) » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:33 am

Post by Aronis »

In post 1979, drealmerz7 wrote:
In post 1969, Aronis wrote:
In post 1967, drealmerz7 wrote:the value in that quote is referring to the value in relation to being MVP - meaning MOST valuable

you are not the most valuable player in the game if you were on the losing side, it's basic logic
What??? An individual player's value is not directly determined by whether or not their team wins or loses the game. It should be determined solely by their contributions. MVP is an individual award and so by definition you don't give individual awards to the best team or exclude somebody from receiving an individual award because their team doesn't do well.
wow, you are just biased and blind, eh????

tell me then, what value does a player bring to their team by throwing for 500yards and scoring 3 touchdowns, and losing the game?

thinking there is no point in trying to have a reasonable conversation with you
I'm biased? You've said you're a lifelong fan of nick foles, that you're from Pennsylvania and therefore have been a longtime eagles fan, you've trashed tom brady's wife for trying to console her children, that the new england kicker should've been ejected from the game, and that you despise the patriots. Your bias' argument holds absolutely no weight. Anybody who prefers an unbiased take will prefer my opinion, because it is undoubtedly and objectively the least bias.

I'm blind? ad hominem.

oh thank god, some real content about the subject matter. The value of points. Points are essential to winning a football game and so every players goal should be fulfilling the tasks assigned to them by the coach in order to a. prevent the other team from scoring points or b. score points for their team. Tom Brady led the New England offense and greatly contributed to their likelihood of winning the game by quickly releasing the ball, making good and accurate throws, and directing their offense to give them a chance to win the game. The fact that the running game, the special teams, and the defense were all struggling doesn't take away from that. Tom Brady still contributed a lot to his team and posted the best stat line in the entirety of that football game. So when evaluating who should win an individual award meant to go to the player who performed best in the game, it's seems reasonable that it should go to Tom Brady who when compared to any ONE individual on the opposing team, outperformed them.

sorry if I'm a little bit too reasonable for you. I'll try to infuse my next post with more blind, unreasonable, patriots hatred.
Aronis
Aronis
Aronis

Post Post #2001 (ISO) » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:35 am

Post by Aronis »

In post 1988, shaft.ed wrote:Also why aren't we discussing how dirty they did Malcolm Butler?
Can you imagine him riding the pine through that debacle, and by his coaches refusal to play they are just over and over saying "Do you see how bad this defense is? It's historically bad. But we think it would be even more bad if you were on the field"

That dude's gonna have a massive chip on his shoulder. I hope winds up in the AFC East so he can revenge on the Pats at least twice a year.
yeah, it would've been nice to know what was so egregious that led to that decision.
Aronis
Aronis
Aronis

Post Post #2002 (ISO) » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:44 am

Post by Aronis »

In post 1989, Bella wrote:
In post 1966, Aronis wrote:
In post 1949, Bella wrote:GG Eagles. Bad call on the TD aside, which didn't in the end really impact that result, the bigger difference was special teams mistakes. The 4 dropped points would have changed the approach to the game, I think.

If I'm John Dorsey right now, I'm calling the Eagles and saying "Hey, you want the #4 overall pick in exchange for Foles?". Super Bowl winning backup-QB for a high first round pick is a good deal for both teams.
Why on earth would you give the #4 pick for Nick Foles? He had what? 2 good games? By all means give him some credit for taking over and leading philly to this, but he had an amazing supporting cast as well and there's nothing that tells me that something drastic changed over these past two games that made him worthy of that high of a pick.
Let's not pretend 2013 didn't happen, and really outside of 2015 is the Rams, which was a bad team, he's been a pretty good QB. The Eagles collapse in 2014 arguably came about because Foles was hurt.Last year he was pretty good in relief for KC, and in 2017 he got better as he got more time with the starters, culminating in a Super Bowl MVP. Foles is worth the #4 pick to the Browns. He'd instantly become the best QB they've had since returning tot he league, and his status as Super Bowl MVP sends a message that can attract free agents to Cleveland, which you need all the help you can get with. Plus, you can then use the #1 pick on a non-QB or dangle it at teams like Denver, the Jets or Arizona (whichever of that group of teams doesn't win the Kirk Cousins sweepstakes and get yourself a haul of picks and/or players to strengthen the team with.
I'm not ignoring 2013, I'm looking at his stats and that season looks like the outlier. I don't see any real reason to suggest that he'll consistently perform at that level. He did okay for Kansas City, sure, but he only started one game, so not a large sample size. I feel like the Rams Foles is what you're going to be getting here. This Eagles team he just won with is loaded with talent and a good coaching staff. The Browns are much more similar to the Rams in terms of what he'll be surrounded by. The Browns have been abysmal. He seems a lot like a Joe Flacco or Brad Johnson to me. With the right team and coaching staff he can do well enough to get them a super bowl, but no way do I see him being capable of singlehandedly carrying a team to the playoffs like that high of a draft pick would suggest.
drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2003 (ISO) » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:46 am

Post by drealmerz7 »

wow, you are stupid, aronis, good luck with that

I trashed Gisele for being a shit parent, that isn't how you console OR teach children, and they are going to be some super fucked up kids with lessons like that - superrich privileged entitled feeling white kids
balance among all things
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2004 (ISO) » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:50 am

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 1946, shaft.ed wrote:the whole giving it to the winning team never made sense to me
hasn't there been like 1 SB MVP on the losing team?

@Aronis-don't argue with dreal, he's just a troll from the "if I yell louder I'm right." school of thought. or maybe he intentionally argues bad things for attention. *shrugz*

I also agree with TIAM. I think that the eagles will get offers for Foles.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #2005 (ISO) » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:50 am

Post by SleepyKrew »

???? it was a salty joke????????
To be clear: quack
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #2006 (ISO) » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:51 am

Post by Kmd4390 »

In post 1994, hiplop wrote:That seems like a harsh assessment from what you just described
It's harsh, but I see where he's coming from. A better answer is probably "yeah, it's disappointing but they'll just have to try harder next year".
KMD is the coolest dude who ever lost a bet to me - vonflare
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #2007 (ISO) » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:53 am

Post by PokerFace »

I enjoyed that video, wraith

27 others celebrating so pats, giants, cowboys, and redskins are not? Who else is not?

Side note, I have a coworker that is a big eagles fan. For a long time now he has been running a sort of art project on pinterest called "The Tears of Tom Brady". He has made photos of the tears of Tom Brady whenever the patriots have lost big. He is debating ending the art project given what happened this year since his favorite team beat them. He'll decide after he uploads this years image to the page whether or not to continue the project. Until then I am going to share the art project here for anyone that would like to see it.

https://www.pinterest.com/aschulak/tears-of-tom-brady/
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Aronis
Aronis
Aronis

Post Post #2008 (ISO) » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:10 pm

Post by Aronis »

In post 2004, Nero Cain wrote:
In post 1946, shaft.ed wrote:the whole giving it to the winning team never made sense to me
hasn't there been like 1 SB MVP on the losing team?

@Aronis-don't argue with dreal, he's just a troll from the "if I yell louder I'm right." school of thought. or maybe he intentionally argues bad things for attention. *shrugz*

I also agree with TIAM. I think that the eagles will get offers for Foles.
Yeah, a cowboys linebacker got mvp like 40 years ago despite losing.

And sorry, I didn't initially realize that about dreal.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #2009 (ISO) » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:54 pm

Post by PokerFace »

I honestly think Doug Pederson did more for that eagles win than anyone else. Too bad coaches can't get MVP's.

A player on the losing team can win an MVP since its happened, but since people do vote on MVP, and more people vote on it than they did 40 years ago, I don't think a player on a losing team is going to win it in today due to the more popular opinion that a player on the losing team can't win it.

Personally, I don't like mvps that do not win. I also don't like it when offensive players get mvps while turning the ball over (granted it really wasn't Fole's fault given the ball tipping). But what I really don't like is when the mvp has another player on the other team do better than they did at their position. Brady played better yardagewise than Foles but Foles got 4 tds to Brady's 3tds. And Foles is probably the eagles player most responsible for their win. Brady didn't catch a pass or a TD so I am okay with Foles getting it with that in mind. That does reflect well on the Eagles play calling. Especially since I can't think of an Eagles player that deserves it more. Can you think of any Eagles player that more deserves MVP?
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #2010 (ISO) » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:01 pm

Post by shaft.ed »

Difference between Foles and Brady in that game is that Foles caught his TD pass when Brady dropped his tbh
drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2011 (ISO) » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:02 pm

Post by drealmerz7 »

In post 2008, Aronis wrote: And sorry, I didn't initially realize that about dreal.
because it's not true, I was just being trolled by an actual troll

----

In case anyone was wondering, because it seems the news is completely misrepresenting everything (shocking), there really weren't riots in Philly. It was a mass celebration. Sure a few stupid people did stupid things, but there were thousands and thousands of people peacefully celebrating, having a great time, not causing any issues and not feeling endangered by each other at all. The energy was awesome and it was a really beautiful thing.
balance among all things
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #2012 (ISO) » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:05 pm

Post by shaft.ed »

In post 2002, Aronis wrote:I'm not ignoring 2013, I'm looking at his stats and that season looks like the outlier. I don't see any real reason to suggest that he'll consistently perform at that level. He did okay for Kansas City, sure, but he only started one game, so not a large sample size. I feel like the Rams Foles is what you're going to be getting here. This Eagles team he just won with is loaded with talent and a good coaching staff. The Browns are much more similar to the Rams in terms of what he'll be surrounded by. The Browns have been abysmal. He seems a lot like a Joe Flacco or Brad Johnson to me. With the right team and coaching staff he can do well enough to get them a super bowl, but no way do I see him being capable of singlehandedly carrying a team to the playoffs like that high of a draft pick would suggest.
All you have to do is look at Goff and Keenum on the Rams to realize it was a shit operation with a shit coach

On the other hand, 2013 Foles had so much luck on his side. Remember the failed interception for Atlanta because the DBs knee got in the way? That happened repeatedly in 2013, keeping his INTs artificially low. He was still ballin though.

I think you're going to get 2014 preinjury Foles. That's when a decent amount of talent was shipped out of Philly and you won't have Pederson game planning a totally different offensive strategy every week. Maybe not as predictable as Kelly in 14, but you won't get caught flat footed like the Vikings did.
D3f3nd3r
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
Best Social Game

Post Post #2013 (ISO) » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:19 pm

Post by D3f3nd3r »

In post 2010, shaft.ed wrote:Difference between Foles and Brady in that game is that Foles caught his TD pass when Brady dropped his tbh
"My husband cannot fucking throw the ball and catch the ball at the same time."
“The assumption of good faith is dead”

(profile pic by datisi)
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #2014 (ISO) » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:23 pm

Post by BROseidon »

Tbf Brady can actually only throw the ball.

Watching him try to do anything else is kind of painful tbh. He's not, like, actually athletic in any agility or speed sense.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #2015 (ISO) » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:28 pm

Post by PJ. »

He's actually a better scrambler than you'd think. He's no Rodgers or Bortortle, but for a traditional stand still QB, he's actually a bit shifty
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2016 (ISO) » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:39 pm

Post by drealmerz7 »

inside scoop is that Malcolm Butler refused to cheat, thought they could win without cheating, but Belichik (directed by Kraft) said it didn't matter if they could win without cheating, that if they could cheat and get away with it it'd give them an edge and that he had to do it or be benched

so he was benched

others in the locker room thought he should be allowed to play despite the refusal, but in a dictatorship, shit like that is NOT permitted
balance among all things
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack

Post Post #2017 (ISO) » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:41 pm

Post by SleepyKrew »

got any links for that scoop
To be clear: quack
drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2018 (ISO) » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:45 pm

Post by drealmerz7 »

I'm a mindreader, it was a telepathic link
balance among all things
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #2019 (ISO) » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:36 pm

Post by PJ. »

Are you ok?
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2020 (ISO) » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:51 pm

Post by drealmerz7 »

aye, I warded myself before entering
balance among all things
Killthestory
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2021 (ISO) » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:28 pm

Post by Killthestory »

In post 2014, BROseidon wrote:Tbf Brady can actually only throw the ball.

Watching him try to do anything else is kind of painful tbh. He's not, like, actually athletic in any agility or speed sense.
all things considered he's still pretty tough and does okay with attempts at running for a 40 year old man lol.
In post 2018, drealmerz7 wrote:I'm a mindreader, it was a telepathic link
same

also if you dont think 500 yds and 3 touchdowns has any value youre crazy lol. i wish my quarterback got that in a game. thatd be legendary.
drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2022 (ISO) » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:01 am

Post by drealmerz7 »

wow, so many of you seriously lack reading comprehension
balance among all things
Lil Uzi Vert
Lil Uzi Vert
Survivor
Lil Uzi Vert
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2023 (ISO) » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:30 am

Post by Lil Uzi Vert »

In post 2019, PJ. wrote:Are you ok?
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #2024 (ISO) » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:20 am

Post by BROseidon »

In post 2015, PJ. wrote:He's actually a better scrambler than you'd think. He's no Rodgers or Bortortle, but for a traditional stand still QB, he's actually a bit shifty
He doesn't really "run," though. He seems to mostly dip high tackles and shift slightly to get the ball out

Return to “General Discussion”