Millers.

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
SolemnJ
SolemnJ
Goon
SolemnJ
Goon
Goon

Millers.

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:13 am

Post by SolemnJ »

http://www.mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Miller

How do you deal with this when you know you have the role?

What's the best way to make sure that if you get scanned, you won't be lynched?

Should you claim Day 1? Wait until you are scanned? Hope to act townie enough to never get scanned?
All things are based on perspective.
iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:31 am

Post by iamausername »

Claim D1, or hope to never be investigated. If you claim after you're investigated, no one will (or should) believe it.
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:35 am

Post by The Fonz »

If you get investigated, you will get lynched. Simple as. There's nothing you can do, since people shouldn't for obvious reasons be able to get away with guilty investigations by claiming miller. The only thing that might is if another PR has an innocence-implying result: ie, there's only one scum left and there was a nightkill, and you were tracked not doing it.

How to best play miller is hella contentious. Some people believe that millers should claim in their first post. Some people (hehe) will policy lynch anyone who does this.

Personally, I would say play your most active, protown game. After all, there might not BE a cop, and if there is he's likely to be dead before he gets around to investigating you.
Battousai
Battousai
Mafia Scum
Battousai
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:17 am

Post by Battousai »

Millers seem to be meant to cause mislynches for balancing purposes. I would prefer a jester as it is more likely they would be lynched over NK'd if that were the case.
charter
charter
Beware of Dog
charter
Beware of Dog
Beware of Dog

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:03 am

Post by charter »

I wouldn't claim and try to just get NK'ed. That's the best thing you can do.
Amished
Amished
Mafia Scum
Amished
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:11 am

Post by Amished »

Yeah, two options, basically:

1) Claim first post D1
2) Be as pro-town looking at everybody and super active as all hell and hope that you draw a NK.
I'm going on a crusade to put more thought into my posts.

No, my name is not "Ed."
Sanjay
Sanjay
Mafia Scum
Sanjay
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:12 am

Post by Sanjay »

Does anyone know why we call them millers?
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:20 am

Post by Empking »

Millers live in windmills.
Plus, if you guys want to make a point, skip the walls, because everyone else in the game does as well. - Magister Ludi
Amished
Amished
Mafia Scum
Amished
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:20 am

Post by Amished »

Cause they're ominous and the free masons had already hacked into our system to make themselves look good.

No, my name is not "Ed."
Incognito
Incognito
Not Rex
Incognito
Not Rex
Not Rex

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:32 am

Post by Incognito »

Choosing whether to claim or not should be a personal decision. My guidelines would be as follows:

- Claim early if you feel like you have a tendency to get investigated by Cops. This is something that you should be able to determine about yourself after playing a bunch of games.
- Try to hold off on claiming if you feel like you DON'T have a tendency to be investigated by Cops.

One thing that I think is overlooked about Millers is that they can be quite useful roles for catching fake-claiming scum particularly in later stages of the game. Picture this scenario: A scum claims Cop and lists a bunch of fake results based on his knowledge of being a part of the informed minority. Suppose you've held off on claiming Miller and that same scum claims to have investigated you as 'innocent'. You might be able to out that person as scum and help the Town win the game by then claiming Miller and getting the guy lynched especially if the Town has generally held a high opinion of you all game.
[ooc][color=black]patrickgower2006 (8:12:03 PM): all beer tastes same to me
patrickgower2006 (8:12:07 PM): like dish water
If you see Patrick drinking dish water, please try and stop him. Friends don't let friends drink dish water.[/color][/ooc]
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:34 am

Post by Ether »

There was a guy in an offline group of mafia players, Steve Miller. I don't know if he was constantly scummy or what, but supposedly the role is named after him.

Yosarian convinced me about six months back that it's fine for a miller to claim at any point on Day 1; not just the first page. Springing it later in the day is almost always perceived as more scummy, though. I'm really just posting this so I can link to it if I ever choose to do that.
As I move my vote
Towards your wagon, town is taking note
It fills my head up and gets louder and
LOUDER
cicero
cicero
Oratoreador
cicero
Oratoreador
Oratoreador

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:54 am

Post by cicero »

Ether wrote:There was a guy in an offline group of mafia players, Steve Miller. I don't know if he was constantly scummy or what, but supposedly the role is named after him.

Yosarian convinced me about six months back that it's fine for a miller to claim at any point on Day 1; not just the first page. Springing it later in the day is almost always perceived as more scummy, though. I'm really just posting this so I can link to it if I ever choose to do that.
They should have made up more appropriate roles for that guy, like Joker, Smoker and Midnight Toker.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:06 am

Post by PokerFace »

hmm... what if there was a role called odd-night miller? Basically a player only seen as guilty on an odd night. Same could probably work like even-night respectivly, like how there are even and odd docs and jesters.

Also batousai makes a good point. If you want a mislynch to happen send a jester. If you want the potential for it to occur, use a miller. Though the jester is kinda getting off easy in terms for winning in their own fashion so I guess miller is still helpful cause its goal is with the town and they will try for it. And its more interesting and challenging to win as miller than as jester
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:36 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Yeah; if you want to claim miller as a miller, you need to do it at some point on day 1, and ideally you don't want to be stuck doing it in response to a bandwagon, but there's no actual reason that you need to do it on the first post of page one. Last time I was a miller, I claimed on about page 7 or so of day one, and I think the reactions I got from doing it that way were more useful (although perhaps it was a little more risky.) Use at your own risk. ;)
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:02 am

Post by shaft.ed »

Ether wrote:There was a guy in an offline group of mafia players, Steve Miller. I don't know if he was constantly scummy or what, but supposedly the role is named after him.

I wish I were cool enough to have a role named after me.
Amished
Amished
Mafia Scum
Amished
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:34 am

Post by Amished »

Amished wrote:You are shaft.ed

Every post, you have to vote for a different player. You can not vote for somebody more than once. As soon as you vote for yourself, you're lynched and automatically lose. If anybody says your name in one of their posts since the last time you've posted, you must post again or you will be modkilled.

You win with the town
At least then you'd be literally shafted, but not really like you at all as a player...

No, my name is not "Ed."
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:37 am

Post by shaft.ed »

Amished wrote:
Amished wrote:You are shaft.ed

You've already lost.

You win when you don't lose
At least then you'd be literally shafted, but not really like you at all as a player...
That seems to be more accurate
SensFan
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
Fortuna Ex Deus

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:47 am

Post by SensFan »

PokerFace wrote:hmm... what if there was a role called odd-night miller? Basically a player only seen as guilty on an odd night. Same could probably work like even-night respectivly, like how there are even and odd docs and jesters.
That would be even worse than a random Cop.
(11:04:10 PM) senspizzaline: That's actually my bold prediction for the year
(11:04:19 PM) senspizzaline: Miami finishes 2nd in the AFCE.
(11:05:35 PM) jhawk01b: my bold prediction for the year is that whoever wins the NFC West will have a winning record
Alduskkel
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:44 pm

Post by Alduskkel »

I read somewhere that the Miller name comes from the idea that Millers live on the outskirts of Town, and are thus "outsiders," meaning they're more suspicious.
CLICK HERE FOR THE ALDUSKKEL APPRECIATION PAGE
"i've only known aldus for four and a half months but if anything happened to him i would kill everyone in this room and then myself" -Datisi, March 28 2020
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:03 pm

Post by shaft.ed »

Alduskkel wrote:I read somewhere that the Miller name comes from the idea that Millers live on the outskirts of Town, and are thus "outsiders," meaning they're more suspicious.
If you watched a lot of Scooby Doo as a kid, this makes a lot of sense. That was always my assumption.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:30 pm

Post by mathcam »

Never played with a miller. My first thought is that you should try to claim during twilight. Early enough that you get the info out before the first possible investigation, but late enough that the first day isn't spent discussing whether or not to lynch you.

Of course there's a risk that the mod locks the thread before you get a chance to post, but if you're more active than the mod (and twilight posting is legal), it seems like a good strategy.

Cam
SerialClergyman
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:49 pm

Post by SerialClergyman »

I like Empking's explanation - the idea that going after the miller is tilting at windmills. He earns 10 points.

As for theory - I was scum with Kublai Khan in a game where he claimed miller D1 and rode it to victory (hilariously it was a night start and the cop INVESTIGATED HIM N0 out of 20 people).

A mislynch D1 isn't as bad as a mislynch D5, but on the other hand if you claim miller D1 you'll never be NKed. I think I'm in the 'shut up and be uber pro-town' camp, trying to draw a NK.

If you think a cop is onto you and is tunnelling it might be a good idea to claim early in the wagon and accept your lynch so the cop doesn't have to claim, but I'm not so sure you could work the timing out (plus that would depend on you noticing the cop's behaviour without the scum noticing it which is probably unliekly).
I'm old now.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”