Newbie 996 - Starting Small [Game Over]

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
kunkstar7
kunkstar7
Mafia Scum
kunkstar7
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Newbie 996 - Starting Small [Game Over]

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:33 am

Post by kunkstar7 »

Newbie 996.

It's all falling into place nicely. Soon we will have this town outnumbered, and we can take over this dying place. They always said to start small. We're doing it smart, this place will make a nice headquarters for our Mafia. We might need to get a logo or flashy name or something like that. But that'll have to wait. We've got a town to overthrow.

Spoiler: Players Alive
Parama -
Mafia Goon

Spoiler: Players Dead
drmyshottyizsik -
Vanilla Townie
, Lynched Day 1.

Black Mist,
Vanilla Townie
, Shot Night 1.

jimfinn,
Mafia Goon
, Lynched Day 2.

Johannes583,
Cop
, Shot Night 2.

smargaret
[
chaodck
]
Vanilla Townie
, Lynched Day 3.

moose200x,
Vanilla Townie
, Shot Night 3.

Doubtful,
Vanilla Townie
, Lynched Day 4.

Cliquey -
Vanilla Townie
, Endgamed Day 4.

Last edited by kunkstar7 on Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:22 pm, edited 26 times in total.
Welcome to the Network.
kunkstar7
kunkstar7
Mafia Scum
kunkstar7
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:34 am

Post by kunkstar7 »

Game Rules:

General Gameplay:
  1. The Moderator has the final say in any dispute. Refusal to accept these decisions may be considered a modkillable offense depending on the severity. Although the Moderator may be the official voice, the Moderator is not infallible. If there is a mistake or you have a question, do not hesitate to inform the Moderator through private message or through the use of bold text within the thread.
  2. Dark-Red
    and
    Indigo
    are the Moderator's colors. Do NOT use them. Doing so is considered impersonating the Moderator and is a punishable offense.
  3. Any and all communication with the Moderator must remain strictly confidential. It is acceptable to paraphrase, for actions such as role claims. If in doubt whether your paraphrase is acceptable, ask the Moderator and assume it is unacceptable until confirmed otherwise.
  4. The use of timestamps in any way is considered quoting Moderator communication and therefore is prohibited. The order in which Role PM's have been sent has been randomized to directly combat this.
  5. [
    Updated.
    ] Any
    game-relevant
    personal communication outside of the game thread, unless clearly specified in your role PM, is
    strictly prohibited.

6. Do not post the links to any QuickTopics that may or may not be available within the game. Doing so is considered a modkillable offense.
  7. Claiming to be scum, or someone's scumbuddy, is against any and all win conditions and therefore is prohibited.
  8. The use of invisible, small, or encrypted text is prohibited. Use your judgment, if it is unreadable by the Moderator, it is unacceptable.
  9. Using loopholes in the rules is considered against the spirit of the game and is a punishable offense. This does not refer to special game mechanics, merely the general gameplay rules. Example is faking a vote to trap players.
  10. Anything it is illegal to do is also illegal to fake.
  11. Modkills will be done in a fashion deemed most detrimental to your faction. Your faction will then be converted to
    Neutral Survivor
    , and as such are autolossed.
Voting, Deadlines, Death, and Activity:
  1. As a general guideline, players should aim to post at least once every day (the more the better).
  2. If you anticipate an extended leave from the game, inform the Moderator either in thread or through a private message.
  3. Players who go for more than
    hours will be prodded. If you are prodded and do not respond within
    hours, you will be replaced.
  4. Players receiving more than
    prods throughout the game's entirety will be force-replaced. Replacements reset the prod counter.
  5. Newbie Games are run with a fixed 3 week deadline. Deadlines will be posted publicly along with each votecount.

6. Votes must be bolded or they will not be counted. (ex.
    Vote: PlayerName
    ).
  7. Unvotes must also be bolded or will not be counted (ex.
    Unvote
    or
    Unvote: PlayerName
    ). Unvotes are appreciated but not required.
  8. Shortening of usernames or the use of nicknames is acceptable in votes, but will only be counted if the Moderator can clearly distinguish which player you are voting for.
  9. It requires a majority of the currently available votes for a Lynch to occur. Majority is equal to half of the available votes plus one rounded down.
  10. If players so choose, they may vote for No Lynch, and No Lynch will be reached if at least 50% of the currently available votes are placed on No Lynch.
  11. Once the majority required for a Lynch is reached, votes are locked in place and cannot be rescinded. The same policy applies to No Lynches as well. Discussion during twilight, the period of time before the mod scene is posted, is acceptable.
  12. If at deadline there is no majority, No Lynch will occur. If there is a tie at deadline, No Lynch will occur.
  13. As soon as the Moderator posts your death scene, you are considered removed from the game. You are allowed one content-less "bah." post following your death. It is acceptable for the Lynchee to post during twilight before their lynch scene is posted.
  14. Play to win, but remember this is a game. It is understandable to be aggressive, yet personal attacks will not be tolerated. Be considerate of the other players within the game, and hopefully enjoy it yourself!
Clarifications on Rule Updates:

Update of Rule 5 of General Gameplay: Inclusion of the clarification of
game-relevance.
The reasoning behind this update is that the rule is not intended to limit normal friendship or contact between players, it is only intended to prevent sharing of game information such as roles that can lead to instances of cheating. For example a discussion of sports or video games, or a discussion within this board as a whole (such as in Mafia Discussion or General Discussion), is not likely to lead to any revealing of information regarding the current game. Obviously use your judgment, if you feel that the discussion is turning towards the game, either end the discussion or change subjects. This is a site-wide establishment and rule, in essence, don't talk about ongoing games.
Last edited by kunkstar7 on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Welcome to the Network.
kunkstar7
kunkstar7
Mafia Scum
kunkstar7
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:36 am

Post by kunkstar7 »

The F11 setup is the current standard for Newbie Games. To prevent the development of breaking strategies, the setup is selected randomly from four variants:

• 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Sane Doctor, 5 Townies
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Doctor, 6 Townies
If at any point a Mafia Roleblocker is the sole member of the Mafia team, they may choose to both roleblock and submit the factional kill during a night phase.

The following are all the available roles that may be present within the game:

Mafia Roles:

Mod wrote:
Welcome,
________
, you are a . You are partners with
________
, who is a . Together you have prepared yourselves to take over this town, and its time to set the plan in motion.
  • During the day, try and blend into the rest of the Town, attempting to get someone lynched.
  • During the NIGHT phase ONLY, you may discuss with your partner in this quicktopic and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • To submit your factional kill one of you must send a PM to the Moderator detailing the player you wish to kill.
  • You may only communicate outside of the Game Thread in the provided QuickTopic. You may talk in the QuickTopic during the confirmation stage [before the Moderator declares that Day 1 has started] but must cease communication during the day.
Mafia Win Condition:
You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.
[Standard Factional Win Condition.]

Reply by PM to confirm you understand your role and win condition.

Game Topic is here: Newbie Game 996.

Mod wrote:
Welcome,
________
, you are a . You are partners with
________
, who is a . Together you have prepared yourselves to take over this town, and its time to set the plan in motion.
  • During the day, try and blend into the rest of the Town, attempting to get someone lynched.
  • During the NIGHT phase ONLY, you may discuss with your partner in this quicktopic and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • To submit your factional kill one of you must send a PM to the Moderator detailing the player you wish to kill.
  • The Mafia Roleblocker has the ability to block any player throughout the night, effectively negating their night ability, if they have one.
  • To use your roleblocking ability you should send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to block (It can be in conjunction with the kill). If they have a Night action, it will have no effect. You will not be informed as to whether the roleblock worked or not.
  • You may only communicate outside of the Game Thread in the provided QuickTopic. You may talk in the QuickTopic during the confirmation stage [before the Moderator declares that Day 1 has started] but must cease communication during the day.

Mafia Win Condition:
You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.

Town Roles:

Mod wrote:
Welcome,
________
, you are a . You are just a person trying to get by in life, but someone has threatened you. So now it's time to show them that you mean business.
  • You have no abilities during the Night Phase other than getting a good sleep.
  • While you may not have anything extra, you do have the ability to vote and discuss, so use them well!
  • At no time may you privately communicate with any other player.
Town Win Condition:
You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.

Mod wrote:
Welcome,
________
, you are a . A member of the local police force, you can use the information at your disposal to help figure out who's behind all this.

• Once
    during each Night Phase, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to investigate.
  • The Moderator will inform you as to which faction that player belongs to.
  • In a Newbie game, you will always get a correct result (no sanity issues).
Town Win Condition:
You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.

Mod wrote:
Welcome,
________
, you are a . Using your trusty medical knowledge, you can protect people from any harm that may come their way.

• Once
    during each Night Phase, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to protect.
  • If someone attempts to kill that player during the Night, they will instead survive.
  • You may not protect yourself.
  • In a Newbie game, your protection target will always live through the night (no quacks).
Town Win Condition:

Welcome to the Network.
kunkstar7
kunkstar7
Mafia Scum
kunkstar7
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:38 am

Post by kunkstar7 »

Day One Begins Now.

The 3 week deadline has been implemented and is set for September 2, 2010 5:00PM EST. This deadline will be at the bottom of each votecount.

Welcome to the Network.
kunkstar7
kunkstar7
Mafia Scum
kunkstar7
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:17 am

Post by kunkstar7 »

:: VoteCount 1x0 ::

moose200x (0) -
chaodck (0) -
Doubtful (0) -
Johannes583 (0) -
Black Mist (0) -
jimfinn (0) -
Parama (0) -
drmyshottyizsik (0) -
Cliquey (0) -

Not Voting (9) -
moose200x, chaodck, Doubtful, Johannes583, Black Mist, jimfinn, Parama, drmyshottyizsik, Cliquey

With 9 Alive, it takes 5 to lynch.

Welcome to the Network.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:23 am

Post by Parama »

Hello, I'm your friendly neighborhood SE, which means I am more experienced than a newbie and less useful than an IC.
Except I'm more than qualified to be an IC, I'm just too lazy to do it! d(''d)

vote: DMSIS
for being a IC and because I've played with him before.

Oops, I made a hypocrisy.
FoS: Parama
for hypocrisy.
Show
Ever wanted a playlist full of a lot of music I really dig? Here you go.

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

I basically post like I'm always on twitter, ignore my spamminess.
drmyshottyizsik
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:25 am

Post by drmyshottyizsik »

So i first put first to post YAY!!
But Parama beat me to it
Any way
Vote:Moose

And I am an SE I am one game away from IC
#freeShotty
moose200x
moose200x
Mafia Scum
moose200x
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:29 am

Post by moose200x »

drmyshottyizsik wrote:So i first put first to post YAY!!
But Parama beat me to it
Any way
Vote:Moose

And I am an SE I am one game away from IC
Alright, let's get the first !OMGUS! vote outta the way.
VOTE:Drmyshottyizsik

Also, if you look back at my other games I apologized for my actions and have come bacl to mafiascum a changed man. :mrgreen:
drmyshottyizsik
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:33 am

Well I'm proud Moose. I'll
unvote
and vote: Jim Finn
#freeShotty
moose200x
moose200x
Mafia Scum
moose200x
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:46 am

Post by moose200x »

Do you guys agree agree with the standard idea of "lynch all lurkers" ?
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:47 am

Post by Parama »

Lurking is not a scumtell. Active lurking is, though.
Show

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

drmyshottyizsik
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:48 am

Lynching Lurkers is very dumb!!!! Active lurking is scummy, but not being busy
#freeShotty
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:49 am

Post by Parama »

Though I guess in a newbie game, lurking is more of a scumtell than in normal games. Newer scum players tend to like staying under the radar by not posting. I still don't think looking to deep into lurking is as good as finding real scumtells.
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

drmyshottyizsik
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:50 am

Ok a quick question for everyone
What is your biggest Scum tell?
#freeShotty
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:52 am

Post by Parama »

I don't think there's one particular scumtell that's the most definite, since everyone plays different. Hypocrisy is one I look for a lot, and another good one is looking for players who will push a wagon without getting on it themselves.
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Cliquey
Cliquey
Goon
Cliquey
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:53 am

Post by Cliquey »

Spoiler: Hi, I'm cliquey
Supposedly I'm your IC, which means its my job to shepherd you little sheep through the pasture while arming you to the teeth against the hungry wolves. Its also my job to win. I take one of these more seriously than other, but I will perform both to my fullest.

Spoiler: generic IC stuff
So, to start, its kind of my job to teach you how to use the forum. These brackets [ and ] are your best friends. Letters and words in them do magical things, lets start with the most basic
bold
. Bold is the key 'command' you will need, because you use it to vote and talk to the mod. To do bold, use the following setup:

Code: Select all

[b] Vote: Person[/b]

Which turns out to be;
Vote: Person

If you look in the preview you will see that there are about a million other commands you can put within the brackets, i for italic, u for underline etc. etc. If you want extra help with this, feel free to ask.

Furthermore, there are abbreviations that we use all the time in this game. Most of which are in the Wiki. But here are a couple I think are essential;
AtE: Appeal to Emotion
FOS: Finger of Suspicion
LyLo: Lynch and you Lose
OMGUS: Oh My God! You Suck
PbPA: Post by Post Analysis
WIFOM: Wine in Front of Me
LaL: Lynch all Liers

I don't really have a IC post written out for you all, so I'll direct you to this post by yabbaguy It is very good concerning basic theory and strategy, such as No Lynching, Voting, Comportment, and Claiming.

If anyone has more questions/wants more theory ask me, but remember, what I present is my opinion. My opinion from 6 years playing year, but it is not all fact.

Spoiler: And without further ado
Vote:Parama

For lying about that DMSIS fellow.

Spoiler: Preview FoS
To DMSIS for asking for our facvorite scumtells so he can know to avoid them.
I make accounts and PM people so they can feel popular and loved
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:55 am

Post by Parama »

Lol, I just noticed that error. My brain said SE and my fingers said IC.
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Doubtful
Doubtful
Goon
Doubtful
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:59 am

Post by Doubtful »

First, hello to all - I'm Doubtful - this is my 2nd game on MS.

VOTE: Cliquey

As for lynching lurkers, I would only do this when there's no better option. And by RVS + scumhunting, we can get a better option.

I mean, if someone made multiple scummy posts then started to lurk, there could be a case against them, but otherwise... I still say the optimal lynch is the person that seems most scummy by posting alone.

Preview:

Biggest scumtell? Lying. A close second is joining a wagon and restating reasons already stated, especially when the reasons aren't very strong.
moose200x
moose200x
Mafia Scum
moose200x
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:02 am

Post by moose200x »

LyLo - doesn't that mean that if we don't lynch scum we lose? I.E. 2 scum left out of 5 players- We lynch a townie it's game over but if we lynch a scumster we can still win.

I agree with cliquey's thought on dr. shotty asking what scum tells do we look for. That screams maf.
moose200x
moose200x
Mafia Scum
moose200x
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:04 am

Post by moose200x »

drmyshottyizsik wrote:Lynching Lurkers is very dumb!!!! Active lurking is scummy, but not being busy

I am sorry, perhaps I use different terminology then you do. "lurking" to me is posting once a day, not adding any real thoughts and basically trying to slide under the radar. Is that what you call active lurking?
moose200x
moose200x
Mafia Scum
moose200x
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:37 am

Post by moose200x »

I can't wait for some of the other folks to start posting away :)
Johannes583
Johannes583
Townie
Johannes583
Townie
Townie

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:43 am

Post by Johannes583 »

Hello, glad to be here!

Vote: chaodck
because his name sounds like Chaos, which reminds me of Sonic, who is from Sega, which sounds like "mega-evil", and is obviously a scumtell. If anyone can disprove my infallible logic, I'll give you a cookie.
"That's not a lie, it's a terminological inexactitude. Also, a tactical misrepresentation."
moose200x
moose200x
Mafia Scum
moose200x
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:46 am

Post by moose200x »

Hey 583, how ya doing? Mind telling us who your mafia partner is?
Doubtful
Doubtful
Goon
Doubtful
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:31 pm

Post by Doubtful »

moose200x wrote:
drmyshottyizsik wrote:Lynching Lurkers is very dumb!!!! Active lurking is scummy, but not being busy

I am sorry, perhaps I use different terminology then you do. "lurking" to me is posting once a day, not adding any real thoughts and basically trying to slide under the radar. Is that what you call active lurking?
Yes, I'd call that active lurking. Oh, what is "maf"?
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:52 pm

Post by Parama »

Active-lurking is posting without saying anything, aka all posts don't contain anything similar to actual game content.
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”