Abarat: Days of Magic, Nights of War Mafia (Endgame)

chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #2200 (ISO) » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:13 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 2198, Staeg wrote:I dunno. I agree that you should've claimed it, but this reminds me that Flash should've been a bit more... creative when they claimed scum. They claimed the bare minimum of what they could - why not add some tasty stuff on top, like another 1 or 2 fakeclaims, a factional ability or perhaps another "informed" modifier for themselves or the like?

For the most part its how I thought I'd play it as scum, shrug. For instance I knew about the eye, I got its results too, I could have claimed that, but I didn't see myself doing so as mafia. Had tammy not basically outright counterclaimed me I think I wouldn't have gotten lynched, and if she did she was going to be more convincing than me. I also had very little free time to make stuff up, and although I had some stuff preplanned, I was counting on an 18h window presenting fewer questions than I got in the 42h window.
Taking a break from the site.
petapan
petapan
Survivor
petapan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2201 (ISO) » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:41 pm

Post by petapan »

This is probably going to be the most earnest MS post I make and I'm wording it very carefully out of respect for hito cuz he did a good job modding and the setup was cool (not a fan of the suicide scum dayvig, but...) along with the added early-game quirks that i'm sure people have forgotten since it's been so long but they were cool, the hammer gimmick on day 3 i'd like to see used in a game and also for most of the people in this game because i don't want to fill it with a bunch of personal insults.

Spoiler: Dear "MagnaofIllusion":
You are a bad, selfish person, and for selfish personal reasons you needlessly messed this game up. (in spite of that, the town did pretty well for itself the first three days, big props to eveyone who helped with that since I know I was worthless, but sometimes that's the game) I know you're probably going to try to vindicate yourself because you happened to be right, like a newbie that fakeclaims a cop guilty and gets it right, but that's not an acceptable thing to do and neither is what you did because while you were right you were right on luck and luck alone (and on favorable odds, to boot) which makes you worse than someone who fakes a cop report because you had no basis for it. You can't claim it generated useful reactions, because most of the scumhunting that people accomplished was by ignoring it. It didn't contribute to the lynch of the scum player you randomly guessed. It caused me to out my role earlier than was necessary. It caused you to get mislynched, when you had every opportunity to retract your claim, and people were willing to give you that leeway even several days into the game. Somehow you tried to blame other people for not realizing that in a game where you are supposed to kill the liars, you made up a lie for your own contentment and refused to admit it when people called your bluff.

Now, all that is terrible and bad and stupid, but what gets me is the reason you did this. You did it because
you wanted to policy lynch the players you named.
And I'm pretty upset you would ever think that's an okay thing to do, because it's incredibly immature and I thought you took this game seriously, but I guess I need to work on my reads. Not liking the way someone plays is one thing. Claiming confirmed role info that suggests they should be lynched sooner rather than later is another thing entirely. And I'm galled you kept up the charade after I showed I had every intention of playing the game seriously, and Izzy was trying, and chesskid replaced out.
You kept up a bluff based on wanting to policy lynch players after one of those slots was replaced.
That is FUCKED UP, and it cannot be described any other way. And who were the people that replaced that slot? MattP and Tammy, both fine players who did absolutely nothing to warrant your harassment. Yes, they replaced a scum slot, but that
doesn't even matter because your guilty on them was based on a lie.
There is no way you can rationalize that being acceptable. But really what I can't get over is how you put me in that list. At the time this game started, I had three completed games on-site (i believe, i don't remember as it's been a long time). None of these games were with you. In every one of those games I was exemplary and played to win. You had absolutely no rational basis for wanting to lynch me. Your knowledge of me is derived entirely from F62, the forum for discussion with less moderation. I know that on there I trolled you and made fun of you at times because I disliked the attitude you display there and felt it was fun to poke at your irrational hatred of epicmafia (a site I no longer played on at the time). To me, that was all just messing around and I didn't take it seriously, but I guess you did. You took a grudge from out of game, and brought it into a game, for your own personal satisfaction. You mock the userbase of epicmafia for being childish, but most of them are mature enough to not disrupt games with their grudges.

And here's the thing: I believed what you said. I defended you. Because regardless of all the trolling, I thought you were adult enough to not let that influence your mindset in a game. Even as half the players in the game (rightly) called BS on what you were doing, I believed you were telling the truth until you stretched things past the point of credibility because you knew you were lying but refused to admit it. Because I believed you had integrity. Because I thought you cared about this stupid game you spend so much time on. Because regardless of the trolling, I thought you were a respectable player and I had every intention of respecting you.
I expected better of you.

MoI, you are a bad person. I'm not going to pretend to know why that's the case, but I hope that one day you realize your faults and you change them or you're going to keep alienating people. And I hope you take the time to actually think about the stuff you post and how it affects other people, and maybe grow up a little. Unless you change, though, I'm not joining any games you play in nor will you ever be allowed to sign up for any game I moderate.

sorry for the rant to the rest of yall but it's been weighing on my mind and i needed to get it off my chest and make everything clear. I decided to spoiler tag it so those of you who don't want to read it don't have to but there is information there for why I'm so damn mad

would like to play again with any of the rest of you sometime (except regfan he's a cock)
free crypto
petapan
petapan
Survivor
petapan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2202 (ISO) » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:42 pm

Post by petapan »

I thought Minimum was pretty clearly town MVP though that's just from memory and them living so long probably contributed to that but they were definitely awesome
free crypto
petapan
petapan
Survivor
petapan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2203 (ISO) » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:56 pm

Post by petapan »

rereading minimum wasn't as standout as i thought but they had some good calls in the early game and whoever lives the longest as town is always going to have more chances to set things right i guess
free crypto
Hinduragi
Hinduragi
Jack of All Trades
Hinduragi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2204 (ISO) » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:57 pm

Post by Hinduragi »

To be honest, I thought MoI was going to be modkilled. Because he wasn't, I was doubting myself around D3. That play was almost worthy of a site-ban, not just a blacklist.
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2205 (ISO) » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:20 pm

Post by Tammy »

In post 2193, Staeg wrote:
In post 2191, Tammy wrote:I mean I'm really sorry to night for fucking up though.

shut up, you were night's MVP this game

<3
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #2206 (ISO) » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:23 pm

Post by hitogoroshi »

yeah, houlihan was mostly there for flavor at the end. he was way more important in an original draft, where marapozsa street worked on the key, so there was the game of the key holder wants to be vanillized d2, but scum can suicide for the key, need to judge right then and there if it's worth it. in the end I felt that a mischief player with the key 2 would see no reason NOT to claim it explictly, so the game would only be interesting if I warned them of the scum dayvig, and I decided the whole subset had to go, while keeping houlihan in because it's incredibly low power and it's can't do the thing I hate about scum dayvigs (lylo being bumped up by surprise). I understand from the perspective of a dude who agonized over protecting it seems a little trollish, but it's one of those things that adheres so cleanly to flavor I wanted to keep it in.
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2207 (ISO) » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Post by Tammy »

In post 2195, chamber wrote:
In post 2189, Lyanna Stark wrote:I did consider my win-con though. I never stopped considering it. I won't apologize for not wanting to win like that. We were both scum caught. If it had been a situation where one of us hadn't outed ourselves then maybe, but we would have gone into a situation where two scum who were caught would have won over town for sure. That just doesn't feel right to me.

Its the nature of three party games that eventually, the town may not have all the power while the game is still running. I'm not actually all that bitter about this but your sense of right and wrong is borked.

My sense of right and wrong is fine; I mean I might have an overwhelming sense of right which I'm not going to deny but it's not borked. I have a really hard time playing scum in the first place because things like this really bother me, and the fact that I was willing to lie through my teeth up until the moment I thought I couldn't get away with it any more speaks volumes for how much I put into this game for my factions win. I had a really good chance at winning this game if you didn't claim night or if I would have been able to figure out a way to convince them without outing myself so obviously, but once we both claimed scum it didn't feel right. Maybe one day I'll get desensitized to the game and won't thnk that way, but I'm not there yet.
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2208 (ISO) » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:36 pm

Post by Tammy »

Dead qt?
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #2209 (ISO) » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:37 pm

Post by hitogoroshi »

"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
Hinduragi
Hinduragi
Jack of All Trades
Hinduragi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2210 (ISO) » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:03 pm

Post by Hinduragi »

in the end I felt that a mischief player with the key 2 would see no reason NOT to claim it explictly, so the game would only be interesting if I warned them of the scum dayvig

Just so you know, I would have said nothing until at least D5, while playing much more passively than I did.

I just noticed we sent the Factional Enabler to Marapozsa. Town's early play was insane, considering how many scum we hit so fast.

Also, when/if you do Absolute Midnight, I'd like to pre-/in to that. I likely won't be playing many Mafia games from now on for a while since I'm going to take a break but, if you happen to make Absolute Midnight while I'm in hiatus, fuck it, I'll still play. It's easier to focus on just one game anyways.
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #2211 (ISO) » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:17 pm

Post by hitogoroshi »

Given the huge trouble there was filling this, I'm probably saving Absolute Midnight until some announcement that generates hype (maybe the fourth book comes out, maybe there's a tv series, maybe it just gets popularly discovered, etc.)

Things you may see from me in the future:

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup/Roguelike Mafia (likely working with Plum if I do this)
Biphasic night, cold-war-spy inspired game. Micro pilot test, Large Theme after if it works. I think I'm most excited for this one.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ mafia.
HunterxHunter Mafia
The Weary Gods (powerful wizard with instrinic domain effects and a dickload of original lore; would need to be really inspired to get this done)

Also, I think I'm qualified to run Special Games now, so there are a couple of seeds in that arena I might grow.

But mostly I just want to just finish Barkley and then work on other projects in my life. I've been in a depressive rut and as my Latin teacher always says, a change of task is as good as a break. Gonna see if I can learn Adobe Premiere and make some videos.~
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #2212 (ISO) » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:19 pm

Post by hitogoroshi »

Hey, speaking of HunterxHunter, a new HunterxHunter2011 episode got uploaded today. Whoooo today is less bad
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2213 (ISO) » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:24 pm

Post by Tammy »

Hito http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAfKFKBlZbM this is a much better Latin teacher, not as nice as a Latin teacher as I used to be, but he was probably more effective.
petapan
petapan
Survivor
petapan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2214 (ISO) » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:26 pm

Post by petapan »

In post 2210, Hinduragi wrote:I just noticed we sent the Factional Enabler to Marapozsa. Town's early play was insane, considering how many scum we hit so fast.

well that was kind of a lucky pick given everything

what did the factional enabler even do, anyway
free crypto
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2215 (ISO) » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:30 pm

Post by Tammy »

Before I was vanillaized we had daytalk, which didn't matter much once Quilford died as I just monologued in a paranoid spiral in the qt alone. But, before I was vanilla, the universal eye resolved before role blocks. I'm assuming that you abducted Minimum night 3? (That's what I gathered from the qt I think). I investigated them night three. If I wasn't vanilla'd, I'd have learned they were finnegan, but since I was vanilla I got no result.

It was actually pretty important. I would have killed them had I actually learned their role.
petapan
petapan
Survivor
petapan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2216 (ISO) » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:42 pm

Post by petapan »

yea i abducted minimum that night i'm not sure i remember why i decided to do that but it is funny how that works out
free crypto
chesskid3
chesskid3
Survivor
chesskid3
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2217 (ISO) » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:58 pm

Post by chesskid3 »

loldrama
Papa Zito - "Your signature has been blanked...we remove signatures at a users request if said signature references them, or if it quotes from a thread in the Speakeasy, which is not allowed without permission of the poster"
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2218 (ISO) » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:17 pm

Post by Tammy »

Tierce
10-02-2012
11:12 PM ET (US)
I have to say that looking at nine dead Day players since Quilford's lynch is extremely pleasant.

Go Night!

-------

It was extremely pleasant for me as well. I'm sorry I couldn't see it through to the end, but the nonstop assault on night coming to an end for a while was nice.
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2219 (ISO) » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:37 pm

Post by Nexus »

I enjoyed this game. I was constantly discussing things with chamber, I just didn't have the confidence in myself to post and carry on as Commexo.

MoI's play angered me even though it benefitted us as third party. It was awful, and I can guarantee he won't be apologetic.

Our gambit on the last day was to filibuster and hope that the deadline passed. We were more sure this would work right up until the point deadline was extended, to which point both chamber and I were like "...fuck."

The whole Night fakeclaim was decided and crafted in about half an hour - basically I looked on the Abarat wiki for characters who existed in Bk2 and hadn't been used yet. We were 95% sure of the loss anyway, so we wanted to try and go out in style.

All in all, I felt this was a great game. Unfortunate ending, but a really interesting game.

Hito, thanks for modding.
Trans rights are human rights.
Magister Ludi
Magister Ludi
Mafia Scum
Magister Ludi
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2220 (ISO) » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:01 pm

Post by Magister Ludi »

Gamma, you brought our slot justice.
Magister Ludi
Magister Ludi
Mafia Scum
Magister Ludi
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2221 (ISO) » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:02 pm

Post by Magister Ludi »

I read up to about where you [gamma] died. Well modded hito
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #2222 (ISO) » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:33 am

Post by Cogito Ergo Sum »

Don't at all get why you didn't share that crucial tidbit of information, Gamma. If there hadn't been an Abarat 1 for me to compare his claimed safe claims with, I'm pretty sure I couldn't've looked past that.

I really don't think Tammy did anything wrong as such. Play to win goes a long way but at some point it breaks down to the point of meaninglessness - if people can keep it going beyond that, good, but it's at the very least unrealistic to expect that from all our players.
Scumchat is awesome. Yarr!

~"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."~
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #2223 (ISO) » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:05 am

Post by Faraday »

In post 2222, Cogito Ergo Sum wrote:
I really don't think Tammy did anything wrong as such. Play to win goes a long way but at some point it breaks down to the point of meaninglessness - if people can keep it going beyond that, good, but it's at the very least unrealistic to expect that from all our players.

It shouldn't be unrealistic. not wanting to win 'like that' is just mind boggling.(not saying she would win, but she had some chance as opposed to none). I thought it was pretty awful, but also expected her to do it so eh.

moi gambit was one of the worst i've seen tbh. i was sure he waas lying town for the first 2 days but when he kept it up thought he was scum too.

bella's casual mention of ongoing games was bad, luckily it didn't compromise the game.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #2224 (ISO) » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:25 am

Post by Cogito Ergo Sum »

Lots of things "shouldn't" be unrealistic.
Scumchat is awesome. Yarr!

~"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."~

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”