Cult win conditions

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Shamrock
Shamrock
Mafia Scum
Shamrock
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Cult win conditions

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:24 pm

Post by Shamrock »

In general, do cults win if they get a simple majority, or do they have to destroy all the other scum groups as well like multiple mafias do? (I'd only think they wouldn't have to do that because they don't nightkill and can't recruit scum.)

The wiki isn't clear about this so I figured I'd ask here.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:31 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

(shrug) Well, they can't nightkill, and they can't recruit scum, but if the cult has over 50% of the town, the cult controls the lynch from then on, which should usually be enough by itself for the cult to wipe out the scum, unless there is more then 1 nightkill a night.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Fritzler
Fritzler
More /in than you!
Fritzler
More /in than you!
More /in than you!

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:47 pm

Post by Fritzler »

Yea, i've been on a cult roll, its generally half of the town (if you had to have every town, its in their interest to let the cult win), and all killing groups dead (vigs can make a difference too)
Surfs up dude.
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Mafia
PolarBoy

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:44 am

Post by PolarBoy »

If there can only be one kill per night and the cult controls the lynch it is impossible at that point for the mafia to win (They may even help the cult win faster). The cult may systematically lynch or recruit anyone not already a member of the cult with no fear of being destroyed in the process. So if a Mod knows this he should probably end the game right there.
MUNSCM Delegate for the United Kingdom
Check out the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage]ScumWiki[/url], and while you're at it, check out [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocumentModeMafia]DocumentModeMafia[/url]
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:26 am

Post by Puzzle »

Depends if the cult dissolves when the leader dies, or suicides collectively, or other roles can prevent the end game featuring only cult...
For now, I'll ask Thoth to come up with reasons why I should be voting for him, and I'd like him to respond to those.
Commodore Amazing
Flying Dutchman
Flying Dutchman
I never think
Flying Dutchman
I never think
I never think

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:46 am

Post by Flying Dutchman »

Cult, Scum, and Town all have the same win condition in the end: Eliminate all other groups. Most games, however, are ended when one group will inevitably win the game. This is, for example, the case if a scum group gets a majority over a group of townies. As far as the cult goes, as long as there are multiple killing groups left, it isn't certain they will keep their majority to be able to decide the lynch. Therefore, the game is not over yet.

(Unless the win condition was 'get a majority', but that's pretty rare, as far as I know.)
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
PolarBoy

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:31 am

Post by PolarBoy »

Puzzle, we can introduce new caveats all day. I said before that it's ultimately the mod's call, as he is the only one who actually knows whether the game end is a foregone conclusion or not. Actually my statement doesn't apply to the description of a cult found on the wiki because the requirement that only one kill be possible per night is nullified by the presence of a cult. If a cult tries to recruit mafia, the cult member dies. Of course, if the cult has the option to stop recruiting then my original post is on the money.

Mafia roles have become so game specific, it's difficult to talk about even the supposedly standard roles in any general terms. It's like every game is themed these days.
MUNSCM Delegate for the United Kingdom
Check out the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage]ScumWiki[/url], and while you're at it, check out [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocumentModeMafia]DocumentModeMafia[/url]
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:32 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

PolarBoy wrote:Mafia roles have become so game specific, it's difficult to talk about even the supposedly standard roles in any general terms. It's like every game is themed these days.
*shrug* Cult has never been a particularly well-defined role, anyway...sometimes they're pro-town, sometimes they're a separate faction, sometimes they're Jonestown and all die if the leader dies, sometimes they just become a recruiting masonhood...

Of course, if you don't like what the wiki says about them, you can change it. It's a wiki, after all. ;)
Retired as of October 2014.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:19 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Yeah...the problem is that the cult ability (convert one person per night) is inherently much stronger then the mafia ability (kill one person a night), so in order to keep it balanced, they need to put some kind of limit on it.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie

Return to “Mafia Discussion”