Mini 1501: We're On A Boat! (END?! results inside)

pitoli
pitoli
Mafia Scum
pitoli
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1625 (ISO) » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:07 pm

Post by pitoli »

ROLE PMS

You are a
Town Vanilla
. This cruise turned out to be way more exciting than you’d hoped. You don’t have any outstanding skills in particular, but will do what you can to survive.

During the Day, you have your voice and vote to try to lynch threats to town. You win when all threats to town are eliminated.

You are a
Town Neighbor
. Concierge messed up your reservation and now your room shares an adjoining door to SpyreX’s room, allowing you to communicate freely with them at night.

During the Day, you have your voice and vote to try to lynch threats to town. During the Night, you can speak with SpyreX in this quicktopic: http://www.quicktopic.com/50/H/pD6y3mmDXTW. You do not know their alignment. You win when all threats to town are eliminated.

You are a
Town One-Shot Bulletproof
. Your caution allows you to survive a flirt with death.

During the Day, you have your voice and vote to try to lynch threats to town. If you are targeted at night for a kill, you will survive once (but will not be notified). You win when all threats to town are eliminated.

You are a
Town Miller
. Though you can hide your criminal past, any investigation is sure to turn up interesting results on you.

During the Day, you have your voice and vote to try to lynch threats to town. If you are targeted at night for a cop investigation, it will return a “Guilty” result. You win when all threats to town are eliminated.

You are a
Town Cop
. You
would
be forced “on the job” during what was supposed to be a relaxing vacation.

During the Day, you have your voice and vote to try to lynch threats to town. During the Night, you may investigate one player by sending me the name of your target via PM. You will receive a result that says “You believe [target] to be [Guilty/Not Guilty]. If the investigation was for some reason unsuccessful, you will receive “No Result”. You win when all threats to town are eliminated.

You are a
Town Doctor

During the Day, you have your voice and vote to try to lynch threats to town. During the Night, you may protect one player by sending me the name of your target via PM, and any kills sent to that player will be negated. You win when all threats to town are eliminated.

You are a
Mafia Roleblocker
. You are Plum’s trusted ally on this mission. You have a unique way of derailing threats to yourselves.

During the Day, you have your voice and vote to try to blend in with the rest of the group. During the Night, you and your partner may talk here http://www.quicktopic.com/50/H/4hpv6js6XN5. Either you or your partner can target one player for a kill every night by sending me their name via PM. Every night you can also roleblock one player, causing any attempted action by them to fail. You win when you outnumber the town, or when nothing can prevent this from happening.

You are a
Mafia Goon
. You are an agent of a widely feared crime syndicate, come to wreak havoc among the civilians on this ship. You are Maestro’s trusted ally on this mission.

During the Day, you have your voice and vote to try to blend in with the rest of the group. During the Night, you and your partner may talk here http://www.quicktopic.com/50/H/4hpv6js6XN5. Either you or your partner can target one player for a kill every night by sending me their name via PM. You win when you outnumber the town, or when nothing can prevent this from happening.

You are a
One-Shot Bulletproof Serial Killer Neighbor
. Through some stroke of luck you find yourself with the perfect cover to whet your bloodlust. Your suite shares an adjoining door to notscience’s room, allowing you to communicate freely with them at night.

During the Day, you have your voice and vote to try to blend in with the rest of the group. During the Night, you can target one player for a kill by sending me their name via PM. You can also speak with notscience in this quicktopic: http://www.quicktopic.com/50/H/pD6y3mmDXTW. You do not know their alignment. If you are targeted at night for a kill, you will survive once (but will not be notified). You win when all other factions are eliminated.
Last edited by pitoli on Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pitoli
pitoli
Mafia Scum
pitoli
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1626 (ISO) » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:07 pm

Post by pitoli »

NIGHT ACTIONS

Night 1:

Peabody investigates notscience (result: not guilty)
ChannelDelibird protects SleepyKrew

Empire roleblocks fferyllt (successful)
Plum kills LolWagons (successful)

SpyreX kills Empire (successful)

Night 2:

Peabody investigates Plum (result: guilty)
Yates protects SpyreX (successful)

Plum kills SpyreX (unsuccessful due to doctor)

SpyreX kills notscience (successful)

Night 3:

Peabody investigates Garmr (result: not guilty)
Yates protects CrashTextDummie

SpyreX kills Grimgroove (successful)

Night 4:

Peabody investigates CrashTextDummie (result: not guilty)
Yates protects Peabody

SpyreX kills Yates (successful)
CrashTextDummie
CrashTextDummie
Mafia Scum
CrashTextDummie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1627 (ISO) » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:07 pm

Post by CrashTextDummie »

Not shocked Spyrex was SK. Pretty shocked scum had only two members. I imagine they're not too happy about this game.

Well played, Spyrex. Even without rushing the last two days, I don't see how we could have won this.
[i]Mgm laughed nervously, his cheeks flushing in the faintest of blushes. "Patrick... I only wanted to be with you... that's why I put the game to night, so Glork would get killed."[/i] - the heartwarming conclusion of Face to Face Mafia
Grimgroove
Grimgroove
Mafia Scum
Grimgroove
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1628 (ISO) » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:11 pm

Post by Grimgroove »

AAAAAAAH.

I sucked badly in this game, but at least I get to boast about this one :mgreen:
In post 1448, Grimgroove wrote:
In post 1411, Peabody wrote:GG - The primary reason I was okay with CDB being lynched is based on gut founded in CDB's early interactions with the miller claim. I'm much more interested in a Plum lynch because while my gut read was pinging on CDB, it's PINGING on Plum. When I looked through the thread, Plum's early reads didn't sit right with me, especially because they were town flips.

I feel like there's something intentional behind Plum's cases on town. I know this won't hold up in court, but all this doesn't -feel- right to me.

And your explanation doesn't feel right to me. There's either a confbias gonig on where you read Plum in light of what CTD said, or there's something more fishy. It's definitely not gut. If it had been gut, you would have felt the same thing when first reading Plum's posts.

I am really not sold on this Plum-lynch but it's starting to look like it's inevitable.

If she flips town, my theory is a Yates - Peabody scumteam + possibility Spyrex is an SK (maybe with an x-shot bulletproof).

That last bit was the farfetched theory I was talking about, but the notscience kill got me to thinking that. I don't know how common it is for SKs to be neighbors, but I checked and it's a theoretical possibility at least.

If she flips scum, well, just ignore my reads because then they're obviously off this game.
Good game.
"What truffles are to pigs so are these charlatans and pettifoggers to my mental acuity." - Frasier
pitoli
pitoli
Mafia Scum
pitoli
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1629 (ISO) » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:11 pm

Post by pitoli »

POST-GAME MOD THOUGHTS:

As was stated by several players already, the mafia team was probably underpowered this game (although I swear it didn’t seem that way during setup review) and could have used an extra member, perhaps a Traitor. They had a severe disadvantage pretty early on as I hadn’t anticipated crosskills until near endgame. I think it’s very much worth mentioning that Empire had a BRILLIANT initial read on SpyreX and if he had gone with his gut for his N1 roleblock, the game might have gone very,
very
differently. Plum did what she could after Empire was killed, but there wasn’t a whole lot of wiggle room.

That being said, I don’t think another person on the playerlist could have pulled off what SpyreX did for as long as he did. At first I thought SpyreX was going to screw himself by killing off the competition so swiftly, but it worked out for him. :P That was possibly the smoothest SK win I’ve read onsite, I’ve never seen a vigilante claim go over that well! Peabody could still have investigated SpyreX Night 4, as I did not make him investigation-immune – he would have turned up guilty.

As for the miller, I’ve never played in a game with one, so Day 1 was interesting to watch. I’ve always thought neighbors intriguing and knew I wanted to see how different factions would try to use the hood. In the end I decided the Serial Killer would have an interesting time with it, presenting a race of sorts to see if the Town Neighbor would suss him out in time.

Ffery’s vest was never used. I was also pretty amazed that town’s PRs survived so long without necessarily finding each other before massclaim, as I was expecting some to drop early game. The last couple lynches surprised me, as I thought both fferyllt and CTD had presented solid town play. I was puzzled by CTD’s self-voting and really couldn’t wrap my head around how it was optimal play (admittedly I find it impossible to get into a townie’s head given mod knowledge).

And since CTD said he expected our correspondence to be posted in-thread:

Spoiler: CrashTextDummie’s Night 3 Speculation
Hello, righteous mod!

I want to speculate for posterity and you're the only person I can share it with.
- Peabody is cop, investigated NS innocent (N1) and Plum guilty (N2)
- Yates is doc, successfully protected Spyrex N2
- Spyrex is vig (killed Empire and notscience)
- Garmr or Fferyllt are final scum

I don't expect a response to this. I do expect to be congratulated on those excellent deductions in post-game if they turn out to be right, and I do expect you to gracefully cast a shroud of silence over them if they turn out to be mostly wrong. >_>

CrashTextDummie, you get bragging rights because 99% of your predictions were spot on, but in the final hour where they really mattered… they were off by just enough.

Thanks to everybody for giving this game a shot and putting up with my modding! (And the setup… I learned a lot). And special shoutout to our replacements, who saved me a great deal of frustration midgame <3 Also thanks to backup mod Titus, who kept an eye on the thread even when I was slacking...
Last edited by pitoli on Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:22 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Kazekirimaru
Kazekirimaru
Mafia Scum
Kazekirimaru
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1630 (ISO) » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:12 pm

Post by Kazekirimaru »

Possible Godfather speculation burned this game to the rafters.
pitoli
pitoli
Mafia Scum
pitoli
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1631 (ISO) » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:13 pm

Post by pitoli »

I almost did make a Godfather, but I was told by my reviewers that more than one false result in a Mini was a bit too much. I think it might have ended up being okay though, because there's no way the Miller was going to get investigated really :>
Last edited by pitoli on Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
notscience
notscience
Survivor
notscience
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1632 (ISO) » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:13 pm

Post by notscience »

ns was obvtown
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #1633 (ISO) » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:16 pm

Post by fferyllt »

Yes he was.
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
CrashTextDummie
CrashTextDummie
Mafia Scum
CrashTextDummie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1634 (ISO) » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:27 pm

Thanks for modding, pitoli! I think the set-up was thematically interesting with a lot of protective power to puzzle out. Unfortunately, the decision to have only two scum members kind of screwed over both teams. Other than somewhat infrequent post-counts, I thought you did a great job.

We actually could have played better on the second to last day. Unfortunately, it only occurred to me in hindsight that Ffery's claim could have been tested. I'm not sure if that would have given us enough time to figure out we were out of scum though.

I'm surprised Spyrex so confidently lynched me, I don't think he could be certain there was no scum left based on available information. I stand by the fact that I made the optimal play and I take my mislynch as penance for hammering Ffery. :p
[i]Mgm laughed nervously, his cheeks flushing in the faintest of blushes. "Patrick... I only wanted to be with you... that's why I put the game to night, so Glork would get killed."[/i] - the heartwarming conclusion of Face to Face Mafia
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #1635 (ISO) » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:29 pm

Post by fferyllt »

I was pretty outraged about the lynch on one level, but the wifom of both a bp and a doc in this size game wasn't going to go away. I felt like my play outside setup spec was solidly protown.

Idic
notscience
notscience
Survivor
notscience
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1636 (ISO) » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:30 pm

Post by notscience »

CTD there was a claimed and confirmed cop and he had a working bulletproof still
CrashTextDummie
CrashTextDummie
Mafia Scum
CrashTextDummie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1637 (ISO) » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:30 pm

As a general observation, two-man scumteam vs. SK is really, really harsh on the scum if you give the SK NK-immunity. I've been in the situation before on the scum side and it's infuriating because you find yourself in a situation very early on where a win is almost impossible. Not that it influenced this game much, just something to keep in mind.
CrashTextDummie
CrashTextDummie
Mafia Scum
CrashTextDummie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1638 (ISO) » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:31 pm

In post 1636, notscience wrote:CTD there was a claimed and confirmed cop and he had a working bulletproof still
But no way to tell if his bulletproof was used up the night before.
CrashTextDummie
CrashTextDummie
Mafia Scum
CrashTextDummie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1639 (ISO) » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:34 pm

In post 1635, fferyllt wrote:I felt like my play outside setup spec was solidly protown.
A lot of people played very solidly for the town, actually almost everyone. Setup spec killed it for us.
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #1640 (ISO) » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:45 pm

Post by fferyllt »

ABR shouldn't have been lynched. SleepyKrew had played very protown. That lynch really pissed me off. I think I'm getting progressively stubborn and opposed to lynching townreads rather than letting nolynch happen.

Idic
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #1641 (ISO) » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:46 pm

Post by fferyllt »

^^ Very protown prior to flaking I should say. And he flaked in all his games.

Idic
Plum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1642 (ISO) » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:53 pm

Post by Plum »

In post 1627, CrashTextDummie wrote:Not shocked Spyrex was SK. Pretty shocked scum had only two members. I imagine they're not too happy about this game.
Well . . . I did feel distinctly overwhelmed by Day 3, I'll give it that. I didn't play particularly well, but I knew I couldn't bus my Roleblocker to death Day 1 in a 13 player game with a two-member scumteam. I was hoping I'd have Day 2 to work some damage control, try to milk another mislynch or at least get a good counterclaim if Empire were forced to claim. Buying a Day or two was, I thought, my only chance. Day 2 Empire being dead put me in a hole I was almost certain I couldn't come back from, and I didn't. Granted I was all but certain it was a Vig - I don't think I've ever seen SK claiming Vig go smoothly into endgame, and this game was an exception largely because Town expected scum to have been more powerful, it seems. I wish :P. Not only did my only scumbuddy and only source of Roleblock in a setup rapidly leaning towards having a Cop (and ultimately, for that matter, having a Cop and a Doc) get offed Night 1, but my kill Night 2 didn't even go through! The degree of control scum had on the game fell away in the Day play and also through the setup. Alas, good game all. Spy, well played; like I said, first time I can recall an SK claiming Vig went smoothly.

CTD, excellent case on me. I did my best with it, but you were right in saying that the response was no more than a competent scum could whip up, and it was basically correct for scumminess on many counts.

I was going to say I'm fine with Mafia QT being posted if Empire is, but it already has in the Role PMs, so enjoy, I guess. Hope to draw Town next time, what can I say.
CrashTextDummie
CrashTextDummie
Mafia Scum
CrashTextDummie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1643 (ISO) » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:10 pm

In post 1640, fferyllt wrote:ABR shouldn't have been lynched. SleepyKrew had played very protown. That lynch really pissed me off. I think I'm getting progressively stubborn and opposed to lynching townreads rather than letting nolynch happen.
ABR lynch was largely a result of town indecisiveness and the resulting deadline scramble. I think this is a common town weakness in today's metagame, and your style of play is pretty conductive to that. :p

With more time, maybe a Plum lynch could have been swung (giving Spyrex 3 mislynches to overcome without the town catching on).
In post 1642, Plum wrote:CTD, excellent case on me. I did my best with it, but you were right in saying that the response was no more than a competent scum could whip up, and it was basically correct for scumminess on many counts.
Thanks! I thought I was scumhunting pretty well in general and I've actually used a new (to me) scumhunting technique I picked up and adapted from Llamarble to figure you out, which was basically to assess posts based on how hard they'd be to fake for scum and you came out looking the worst by a wide margin. You are a type of player I've always struggled reading in the past, so I'm very pleased it worked out. My case on you was probably good because I made it after I had already decided you were scum for those completely unrelated reasons, cutting out a lot of the guesswork that usually goes into a case and keeping it to the point and free from bloat (as a bonus, it also kept me from starting to trade quote-walls with you, as I am usually wont to do). Something to keep in mind for future games.
Garmr
Garmr
Survivor
Garmr
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1644 (ISO) » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:24 pm

Post by Garmr »

GJ spyrex who ever brought up god father should be shot.
Peabody
Peabody
Mafia Scum
Peabody
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1645 (ISO) » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:52 pm

Post by Peabody »

Good games.
Grimgroove
Grimgroove
Mafia Scum
Grimgroove
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1646 (ISO) » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:12 pm

Post by Grimgroove »

In post 1643, CrashTextDummie wrote:
In post 1640, fferyllt wrote:ABR shouldn't have been lynched. SleepyKrew had played very protown. That lynch really pissed me off. I think I'm getting progressively stubborn and opposed to lynching townreads rather than letting nolynch happen.
ABR lynch was largely a result of town indecisiveness and the resulting deadline scramble. I think this is a common town weakness in today's metagame, and your style of play is pretty conductive to that. :p

With more time, maybe a Plum lynch could have been swung (giving Spyrex 3 mislynches to overcome without the town catching on).
In post 1642, Plum wrote:CTD, excellent case on me. I did my best with it, but you were right in saying that the response was no more than a competent scum could whip up, and it was basically correct for scumminess on many counts.
Thanks! I thought I was scumhunting pretty well in general and I've actually used a new (to me) scumhunting technique I picked up and adapted from Llamarble to figure you out, which was basically to assess posts based on how hard they'd be to fake for scum and you came out looking the worst by a wide margin. You are a type of player I've always struggled reading in the past, so I'm very pleased it worked out. My case on you was probably good because I made it after I had already decided you were scum for those completely unrelated reasons, cutting out a lot of the guesswork that usually goes into a case and keeping it to the point and free from bloat (as a bonus, it also kept me from starting to trade quote-walls with you, as I am usually wont to do). Something to keep in mind for future games.

That's some good advice!
"What truffles are to pigs so are these charlatans and pettifoggers to my mental acuity." - Frasier
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #1647 (ISO) » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:40 am

Post by SpyreX »

While I'd agree that the town played solid from a not-scummy perspective that lynch list (Brian, ABR, Plum, Ffery) is bonkers.

Empire I was actually fairly confident on being scum because I wanted to cripple them (at that point I didn't think 2 scum).
NS I thought was town but was easy for me to justify. Pretty much this is the only major "difference" between SK and Vig play for me.
Grim almost, and I mean ALMOST, became Peabody. :P That would have backfired.

The only thing late I was really concerned with (after Godfather gate started up) was Peabody actually inspecting me. But, Yates did a good job for me on the "SK's will return clear, so check someone else" as well as somehow leading into a Ffery lynch. :P

2 scum is hard. But 3 scum/sk is a town loss most of the time if there's no crosskill. Thats why I rarely put SK in a mini ;)

All in all good game everyone!
Show
I always lynch scum... sometimes they're just not mafia. :P

Town: (49-47-1)
Scum: (23-11)
Third Party: (2-0)
Proud member of BaM
Garmr
Garmr
Survivor
Garmr
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1648 (ISO) » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:43 am

Post by Garmr »

Yates brings up god father and then saying serial killer won't show up wifoming town to oblivion. Oh well I should take some of the blame to.
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #1649 (ISO) » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:51 am

Post by SpyreX »

Ehh Garmr I thought you were town from the very start. ;) You've got that at least.
Show
I always lynch scum... sometimes they're just not mafia. :P

Town: (49-47-1)
Scum: (23-11)
Third Party: (2-0)
Proud member of BaM

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”