Mass Mafia

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
bdwhoX
bdwhoX
Townie
bdwhoX
Townie
Townie

Mass Mafia

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:18 pm

Post by bdwhoX »

Now I may just be crazy but I had the idea of a mass mafia game that had a huge amount of players (in the area of 50). It would have to have multiple mafia (3 groups of 3) and multiple cops (5). The numbers I gave are only estimations, I was wondering if anyone had tried this before and was wondering what you thought about this idea?
JechtMurray
JechtMurray
Goon
JechtMurray
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:34 pm

Post by JechtMurray »

Bad, bad idea. It just would not work. I don't have time to list all the reasons, but I'd say 30 is the most you'd ever get on this site, and even then it struggles to keep it going.
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:51 pm

Post by Seol »

Megamassive Mafia.

Starts with 4 games of 12 players, each of which has 3 Mafia in. When the game hits 6 players, it merges with another game.

So, you play for a couple of days, whittle the town down, then merge the first two and the second two games, whittle the town down some more, merge again, and finish up.

All of which is being kept running smoothly by nice, tight daylimits.
[i]The hungry maw of Twilight snaps, but shall not have its fill,
Until one man hangs by his neck, by half this curs'd town's will[/i]
mikeburnfire
mikeburnfire
Flashy
mikeburnfire
Flashy
Flashy

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:01 pm

Post by mikeburnfire »

Oooooh, that sounds interesting Seol.
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill with rope and a slim majority."

Flash Guide to Mafia and Flash Mafia Roles
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:05 pm

Post by Mastermind of Sin »

erm, the idea of a massive game isn't bad, it's just that we don't have enough to do it.

and yeah, seol, that would work, a lot like tricities mafia
Permanent V/LA.
JechtMurray
JechtMurray
Goon
JechtMurray
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:15 pm

Post by JechtMurray »

Seol wrote:Megamassive Mafia.

Starts with 4 games of 12 players, each of which has 3 Mafia in. When the game hits 6 players, it merges with another game.

So, you play for a couple of days, whittle the town down, then merge the first two and the second two games, whittle the town down some more, merge again, and finish up.

All of which is being kept running smoothly by nice, tight daylimits.
An example of something that would work. Lumping 50 people into a single game would be... pretty bad.
BabyJesus
BabyJesus
Not Helpful!
BabyJesus
Not Helpful!
Not Helpful!

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:16 pm

Post by BabyJesus »

bdwhoX wrote:Now I may just be crazy but I had the idea of a mass mafia game that had a huge amount of players (in the area of 50). It would have to have multiple mafia (3 groups of 3) and multiple cops (5). The numbers I gave are only estimations, I was wondering if anyone had tried this before and was wondering what you thought about this idea?
it was tried in civil war mafia, but the mod gave up becuase he was not getting all the night choices and participation.
:coo:
Back On The List: Fritzler, Pooky
Solo Town winner of Payola Mafia.
Scum's Best Friend: Nightcow
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:17 pm

Post by mith »

Seol, that's basically how Neighborhood Mafia worked (except the Mafia weren't confined to a single neighborhood). Town was way too strong, but it was a decent idea in theory (and as MoS said, there have been similar games run since).

I also ran a tournament with several small games and the survivors playing in a final game (I'd run that differently now, particularly the "survivors" bit).

I ought to get the GL archive back up/organized.

We had a few huge games on the GL. Largest I can find at the moment was 50. You'd need very tight deadlines to try something that big here; this was one of the very early games (11) and we didn't waste a lot of time with long discussions.

Balance is tricky with large games as well. 3 families of 3 in a 50 player game is very much in the town's favor I'd guess, even without pro-town power roles.
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:45 pm

Post by Seol »

mith wrote:Seol, that's basically how Neighborhood Mafia worked (except the Mafia weren't confined to a single neighborhood). Town was way too strong, but it was a decent idea in theory (and as MoS said, there have been similar games run since).
I suspected it wasn't an original idea, but I couldn't be bothered to research it. Balancing it must be tricky... 'cos the ideal setup's about halfway between making each 12-man balanced and the overall 48-man balanced. I think. I'm not sure, though.
mith wrote:I also ran a tournament with several small games and the survivors playing in a final game (I'd run that differently now, particularly the "survivors" bit).
Yeah.... surviving to the end isn't really the best guage of good play.
mith wrote:We had a few huge games on the GL. Largest I can find at the moment was 50. You'd need very tight deadlines to try something that big here; this was one of the very early games (11) and we didn't waste a lot of time with long discussions.
Discussions are pretty much inappropriate until you get down to 20 or so, I'd say. Before that, it's just vote and watch patterns.
mith wrote:Balance is tricky with large games as well. 3 families of 3 in a 50 player game is very much in the town's favor I'd guess, even without pro-town power roles.
I think it'd want to be a single Mafia, or possibly two Mafias with only one in each starting game.
[i]The hungry maw of Twilight snaps, but shall not have its fill,
Until one man hangs by his neck, by half this curs'd town's will[/i]
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:13 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Yeah...civil war mafia was a lot of fun, though, it was really a shame the game died like that. The hard thing with 50 people would be enforcing parcipitation.

If there was something like one mafia of 12 people and 38 GG's, or something simple like that, then you could strictly enforce rules like "anyone who doens't post in a week=modkill", and a few modkills wouldn't really mess up the balance much; and perhaps have "plurality voting" rules (whoever gets the most votes lynched, no majority needed). After seeing civil war mafia, I think it could be done.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:34 pm

Post by PookyTheMagicalBear »

I can see a 50 player game working with a smaller group of players being able to vote.

Something like an Oval Office Setup where there could be a small bloc of people who are actually responsible for voting during the lynch and then general elections with tight deadlines to replace the players on death and what not.

Having a large voting segment leads to a long day due to the high number of people needed to vote to lynch.
Show
"I hope one day I can openly play as wolfy as Pooky and get zero pressure for it grumble grumble."
-MariaR

"I can't even look at the game anymore.
That evil teddy bear has got everyone twirling by his thumb.
It's like witnessing an slow but unavoidable train crash you can't stop."

-Norwee
warpdragon
warpdragon
Goon
warpdragon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:06 pm

Post by warpdragon »

Checkmate mafia had 32, with 8 scum.
Show
IS: Kiwis get to hunt the natives on Sundays
Tally: kiwis are the natives
IS: Thats the fun part

Mackay: Oh hey, I got sigged! :)

[size=75][i]Edited by Warpdragon[/i][/size]
Y
Y
Mafia Scum
Y
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:01 pm

Post by Y »

Couldn't it work with 1/4 of the people to lynch instead of a majority? At least until you get to a manageable number...
SpamWise
SpamWise
Goon
SpamWise
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:30 pm

Post by SpamWise »

How many were in Time Travel Mafia?
"The sky will cover you when you fall down"
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:19 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Seol wrote:Discussions are pretty much inappropriate until you get down to 20 or so, I'd say. Before that, it's just vote and watch patterns.
It seems like the longer the game, the more it favors the town, since mafia have that much more voting patterns/lies/misdirections to get caught in. One reason newbie games are so tough is you only really get one chance to screw up, as a pro-town player. That'd probably be a balance factor as well.
Retired as of October 2014.
mlaker
mlaker
I'm just a stuffed dog!
mlaker
I'm just a stuffed dog!
I'm just a stuffed dog!

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:19 pm

Post by mlaker »

In real life mafia games usually the first few days are little to no discussion. I'd thought about doing this, but I dislike modding. I think if it was an invite or application game it would work.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:19 pm

Post by mathcam »

SpamWise wrote:How many were in Time Travel Mafia?
There's been 3 time travel games so far, one full-size (20 or so) and two minis (12 each).

For another instance of a multi-threaded game, see Tuthrededmafya, where players in the different threads had the ability to move back and forth between threads. I'd make some changes if I were to do it again, to increase the motivation for moving.

The 50-player game is just a bad idea, and it has nothing to do with lack of players, or not getting participation from everyone. There's just a critical mass of players at which it becomes prohibitive to get anything done. It's impossible to maintain a conversation, and if you
didn't
have enough lurkers, it would be a full-time job to keep up with the thread.

Cam
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...
Pronoun: he/him/his

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:25 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

*looks about*

Well, I know 50-player games have been done. Case in point, at Star Kingdoms (where I only play offhandedly, since nobody there cares for "conversation" so much as random lynchings and PMing each other during the day), there is a game right now being signed up for which is expecting 50+ players, with an open set-up with 4 seperate groups of scum.

Of course, it's still complete chaos. Votes without reasoning, deadlines at about a day each (utterly preposterous, imo), frantic IMs over AIM haggling with other players, but still fun in its own way. Although I will agree that lurkers and speedbumps do become problematic, although they are normally just modkilled for their insolence anyways.
"Logic? I call that flapdoodle."
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:29 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

mathcam wrote:
The 50-player game is just a bad idea, and it has nothing to do with lack of players, or not getting participation from everyone. There's just a critical mass of players at which it becomes prohibitive to get anything done. It's impossible to maintain a conversation, and if you
didn't
have enough lurkers, it would be a full-time job to keep up with the thread.

Cam
I don't know if that's a hard and fast rule...it wasn't really that hard to maintain a decent conversation in Civil War mafia. If you were willing to keep up with the game (and take notes, of course), it was a lot of fun trying to figure out who everyone was.

The problem with a big game in the style of Civil War Mafia or Checkmate is that there are just so many nightkills, the lynch hardly matters. Also, each vote seems to not matter very much at all anyway. Between those two factors, they tend to make the day game less important and intersting.

So what if there was a 50 player game, and the system was "At the end of 2 weeks, whatever 4 players who have the most votes get lynched." Now THAT would be interesting...one person might have a big bandwagon on him he's trying to defend himself against, but at the same time there's a fight between a person who has 4 votes on him and a person who has 3 votes over which one would be a better #4 lynch...that would open up all KINDS of stratigic voting options, and the amount of difference one vote moving from bandwagon C to bandwagon D could make would help encourage activity...hmmm...
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Fritzler
Fritzler
More /in than you!
Fritzler
More /in than you!
More /in than you!

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:31 am

Post by Fritzler »

Yosarian2 wrote:So what if there was a 50 player game, and the system was "At the end of 2 weeks, whatever 4 players who have the most votes get lynched." Now THAT would be interesting...one person might have a big bandwagon on him he's trying to defend himself against, but at the same time there's a fight between a person who has 4 votes on him and a person who has 3 votes over which one would be a better #4 lynch...that would open up all KINDS of stratigic voting options, and the amount of difference one vote moving from bandwagon C to bandwagon D could make would help encourage activity...hmmm...
Agreed. I am planning my next theme game to be rather large (tenatively rapper's mafia), and wanted one larger, a fiftyish size game that got finished on this site, and I was going to do lynches somewhat like that.
Surfs up dude.
Drummer
Drummer
Goon
Drummer
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:54 am

Post by Drummer »

Ever read Jurassic Park? Heard of chaos theory? It usually holds.
rajrhcpfreak
rajrhcpfreak
I puzzle myself sometimes
rajrhcpfreak

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:11 am

Post by rajrhcpfreak »

Global Mafia?
Show
http://kysurvivorfreak.blogspot.com/

raj's to do list:
Zulu Mafia : TBA
No Night Mafia : TBA
Epic Mafia : TBA

Record: 22-33-2
2005: 10-13-2
2006: 5-10
2007: 1-2
2008: 2-4
2009: 3-0
2010: 2-4
2011-2017: retired
tidus_of_zanarkand
tidus_of_zanarkand
Townie
tidus_of_zanarkand
Townie
Townie

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:26 am

Post by tidus_of_zanarkand »

I am so /in for insanely huge mafia. Let's see if I can keep up my record of being lynched/nightkilled nigth one.
EDIT (Jan 18, 2009) - I am no longer using this account. I have made a new one under the name Dr Pepper. I barely remembered enough to access this account. I will not be using this one anymore.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”