Mastin Academy

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
reinoe
reinoe
Mafia Scum
reinoe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #176 (isolation #0) » Thu May 15, 2014 8:07 am

Post by reinoe »

In post 0, mastin2 wrote:(AKA, the "School of Mastin thought" on mafia.)

I've had a fair number of people following in my footsteps (asking "What Would Mastin Do?"), a few people call me a genius when it comes to the game, and/or asking to learn from the 'master' himself. I've even had a 'student' of mine "graduate", via surpassing me in his skill and talent. Not to mention, how I can apparently give people good advice and have always seen potential in users who often don't see their own.

I already do IC work (and sometimes IC outside of newbies :P), but I wanted to expand that a bit further and become, quite literally, a professor of mafia. (When I finish my mafia textbook, this'll be a whole lot easier a "course" to take. :P But since I'm a lazy procrastinator, I've not yet finished it.) I realize that things like this have been done before, but I'd like to take a stab at it with a Mastin spin.

What this thread is for:

Asking me advice on how to play the game of mafia, to give feedback to the players in general, and to critique specific games for emphasis of these.

A note:

Please keep questions on the game in general, as to not be specific to an ongoing game. If you want to ask a specific question about (or even related to) that game, write it down and ask
after
the game's already over.

What to ask:

Any question relating to the game. It can be anything from "Where do you look for scum?" to "How do you find town?" to "How do you break the RVS ice?" and so on and so forth. You got a question, I'll have an answer for you. Any question so long as it's not ongoing-game-specific will get as much elaboration as I can cram into the lesson.

How I'll help:

Note that my teaching style is incredibly personalized and intimate. (Not necessarily hands-on, but almost never completely hands-off, either. :P) If you're a complete stranger to me, I'm not going to track down your games to give advice. I'm instead going to try and play with you. From the start as two players, replacing into games you're in, and/or hydraing with you so that I BECOME familiar enough with you to be able to give that feedback. (Hydras give that advice more immediately, though.)

Just ask, and I'll do what I can.

Obviously, if I know you, I can already give that advice without the time delay, and will do so. If you want more detailed feedback, sure, I'll go through the process above, but only on your request. (My memory sucks for specifics, but is typically quite good for the generalities. Thus, why I won't do so by default.)

Note that I can always give more, but am kinda lazy. :P If you want me to go more in-depth, I'll do so. Just be aware that the more you ask of me, the longer it'll take me to give it.

Note for moderators:

You're not excluded from this! I'm more than happy to critique your setups and your modding practices. My process won't be as good as, say, zoraster's survey is, but it's better than nothing and is available at request. Just know it follows the same rules as above, and thus, will typically take some time for me to do.

A disclaimer:

If you're a better player (or moderator) than I am, chances are, I won't actually be able to help. :P I can give reminders, with occasional new tips, but at a certain stage, you evolve beyond my capability to help you, and
you
should be the one doing the teaching!

For instance, while it's theoretically possible for me to teach AngryPidgeon something, he already "graduated" and took my advice to heart, added his own spin, and IMPROVED it. I'm good at the game, and a great teacher--but I'm not the best. If I don't have much to say, it's a sign of your talent having bloomed with skill, and you've earned not only my respect, but also my admiration.

On Specific Games:

Note that I
will
give feedback on games that I'm not familiar with, but as with the above, my advice will be more accurate if I'm intimately familiar with the game. I'll analyze the setup and give an overview of each player, along with what you could do better in future games, and point out those general behaviors. Basically, this is a hybrid of the general theory questions I'll be answering, and the individualized coaching, tying it all together.

Grad School:

Just because you've "graduated" from my academy doesn't mean your mafia education is finished! The game evolves, the site evolves, players evolve, you evolve, and thus, the advice I give will also therefore evolve. You can ask me again to help, as many times as you'd like. It's a never-ending process of betterment. (But do note the above--I can try to help you, but if you're better than I am, it'll be much harder for me to actually do so.)

Spoiler: Subjects Lectured On

Spoiler: Current Students
This section is basically a list of players I am currently actively working on helping.
  • Sakura Hana
  • notscience
  • Bulbazak
  • Lord Mhork
  • phokdapolees
  • Om
  • Kazekirimaru
  • SalmonellaDreams
  • Untrod Tripod (modding+playing)
  • Natirasha (modding+playing)
  • Jacob Savage (modding+playing)

Spoiler: General Learning Resources
Basically, a compilation of further reading material, and why you want to read it.
    Hey mastin, I've read all of your articles on the mafiawiki. My favorite is the interactive tells you wrote. One thing I remember you writing is that you should have as many scumspects as there are scum or something along those lines. Now with the requisite ass kissing out of the way...

However in light of my recent Newbie1485 there was a point where I only had one scumspect. What should a player do if they have only one suspect? Or even worse, no suspects? The scum are too careful?

We all know that sometimes people have off days or someone is just a VI. When, if ever, should you not pursue the lynch of the scummiest player?
    Scum typically need to fabricate reasons for scumreads...

Selkie
    reinoe
    reinoe
    Mafia Scum
    reinoe
    Mafia Scum
    Mafia Scum

Post Post #180 (isolation #1) » Thu May 15, 2014 10:57 am

Post by reinoe »

In post 179, Docthorr wrote:
    In post 153, Docthorr wrote:
    In post 144, mastin2 wrote:
    In post 143, Docthorr wrote:Are you still taking new students?
    blabla
    Sooooo, sorta kinda yes, I am.
    Working on my 2nd newbie game, trying not to be a lurker this time. Going well for now.
    So maybe in a month or 2,3 we can meet in another game. :wink:
    Just finished this one and I really messed up which got me lynched :? (Town still won by a great play of our cop)
    What queue is a good way to explore the game and newb friendly?
    I find open/normal games also newb friendly.

Selkie
    reinoe
    reinoe
    Mafia Scum
    reinoe
    Mafia Scum
    Mafia Scum

Post Post #185 (isolation #2) » Fri May 16, 2014 1:59 pm

Post by reinoe »

In post 183, tosser wrote:how much of a role do you think the username plays on peoples' reads?
    In newbie 1492 a player was voted out during rvs because their name. It was an accident to be sure but it still happened.

Selkie
    reinoe
    reinoe
    Mafia Scum
    reinoe
    Mafia Scum
    Mafia Scum

Post Post #209 (isolation #3) » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:15 am

Post by reinoe »

What should I do if someone claims Bulletproof Beloved Princess as their intro post and there's no cop?

Selkie
    reinoe
    reinoe
    Mafia Scum
    reinoe
    Mafia Scum
    Mafia Scum

Post Post #219 (isolation #4) » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:28 am

Post by reinoe »

pssh. Playing as mafia is hella easy. All you have to do is kill everyone who's not mafia.

Playing as town is nearly impossible.

Selkie

Return to “Mafia Discussion”