How Often...?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Tamuz
Tamuz
Mafia Scum
Tamuz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

How Often...?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:40 pm

Post by Tamuz »

Just a question, that should probably be looked at.

We all regard docs (and cops) as very valuable roles for the town. Cops are fairly negligible for this question because they get responses to the positive and the negative. Docs however, don't. But anyway my question is how often do doctors actually save?
This follows the thought process of how valuable are they really to the town. Or are they mainly a psychological effect/claim for the mafia (unless a power-role is outed, then they become invaluable)/
Tamuz is the expression of the alienated, of the ambitious, of the dispossessed.
GreenLiquid
GreenLiquid
Mafia Scum
GreenLiquid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:26 am

Post by GreenLiquid »

Not often, but sometimes.

I think it generally would fall to about once a game, if that. It's really not all that common.

Let me look at some statistics...
Avatar courtesy of Chickadee! | GTKAL
GreenLiquid
GreenLiquid
Mafia Scum
GreenLiquid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:29 am

Post by GreenLiquid »

In both Color and Kirby mafia, the doctor successfully protected only once. So, yeah, the odds aren't terribly good, but one saved kill could make a difference...
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:32 am

Post by VisMaior »

The doc is there for strategic reasons, not for the actual protection. As long as the doc lives undetected the cop may spill results, because he can count on beeing protected. Even if others get NKd, the doc does his thing.
"logic is in the eye of the beholder" -LyingBrian in Eyewitness 1
"correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the CHANCE of something happening always 50% (either it will or it won't)?" -LyingBrian in BJs Wild West mafia
GreenLiquid
GreenLiquid
Mafia Scum
GreenLiquid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:33 am

Post by GreenLiquid »

Also, doctors are good because they don't have to claim and can still use their role effectively.
the silent speaker
the silent speaker
Mafia Scum
the silent speaker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:39 am

Post by the silent speaker »

Then again there's the occasional Norse Myth Mafia, where right to the end I was working on the assumption of one big scum group because there was a kill attempt on my targets every single night. :lol:
I think it's pretty clear that TSS's awesomeness did alter the roles each of us recieved, and thus he's obviously pro-town. -- Save The Dragons
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:23 am

Post by mathcam »

I think VisMajor's already posted the key response.

Cam
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:29 am

Post by Glork »

the silent speaker wrote:Then again there's the occasional Norse Myth Mafia, where right to the end I was working on the assumption of one big scum group because there was a kill attempt on my targets every single night. :lol:
Eh, games like Norse Myth are extreme exceptions. I wonder if that game set a record for the number of successful protects... because I don't think more than one player died by scumkills in any given night during that game...
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:31 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

It depends. The scum can kill almost every night and avoid doc protection, but only if they choose their kills carefully, avoiding high profile players or confirmed innocents or power roles. Of course, if they avoid killing the people they most want to kill, then the doc is helping the town even if they never save a person. On the other hand, the scum sometimes tries to outguess the doc, tries to figure out which of the most useful pro-town people are going to get protected and take out someone else instead. If the scum use this stratagy, the doc will save a lot more people, but killing some power-roles or confirmed innocents might be more valuable to the scum then killing a more generic townies.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:44 am

Post by Cogito Ergo Sum »

If the doctor's just there for strategic reasons, then by extension you don't actually need a doctor. In Payola Mafia, there were 2 confirmed innocents night 2, but we(the mafia) killed off Tamuz, because we didn't want to risk doc protection. There wasn't a doc. (The lack of doctor did allow us to win eventually, but it only became obvious to us there wasn't a doctor after everyone had claimed.)
Scumchat is awesome. Yarr!

~"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."~
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:51 am

Post by Glork »

On the other hand, not having a Doctor can be an extreme detriment to the town, *especially* if they are under the assumption that there exists a Doc. A gutsy mafia will be willing to try a hit on a claimed Cop or a confirmed innocent, partially to test the existence of a Doc. This kind of information often becomes invaluable. And in a larger game, it usually comes at a relatively low price.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
ralphmerridew
ralphmerridew
Goon
ralphmerridew
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:15 am

Post by ralphmerridew »

Take Kingmaker mafia. A doc would have really helped the town by keeping one cop alive for a few days. (Though the town's done fairly well despite that.)
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:17 am

Post by Glork »

...I was trying not to point to specific currently running games... but, yes. That's one game I had in mind.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!

Return to “Mafia Discussion”