Role Playing?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Barrylocke
Barrylocke
Goon
Barrylocke
Goon
Goon

Role Playing?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:58 pm

Post by Barrylocke »

I'm new here, waiting for my first newb game, but one thing that I've realized early on is that their is very little roleplaying. Do people normally spice things up with a little backstory to go with the game? Or does a vote usually consist of...

/vote Hammerdud, he accused the docter.

I have nothing against that, but one thing that I've anticipated besides the strategy and such is the ability to get my feet wet in some roleplaying
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:16 pm

Post by Yaw »

Well, in my No Exit Mafia (mini) setup, I tried to encourage roleplaying. Unfortunately, it didn't take. (Though that might have had something to do with the mistaken idea to allow mod quoting.) I think there's definitely room for it, and that setup's probably a good place to start looking if someone's interested in pushing Mafia in this direction.

Incidentally, a few of us are currently involved in the long process of worldbuilding to bring an RPG to the site. It's probably still a ways off in terms of getting it to run, but it's something to look forward to. (Plus, there's still room for people to help on the building/modding end, if anyone's interested.)
Success breeds suspicion
warpdragon
warpdragon
Goon
warpdragon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:31 pm

Post by warpdragon »

Usually keeping ones role a secret takes precedence over role playing.
Show
IS: Kiwis get to hunt the natives on Sundays
Tally: kiwis are the natives
IS: Thats the fun part

Mackay: Oh hey, I got sigged! :)

[size=75][i]Edited by Warpdragon[/i][/size]
Barrylocke
Barrylocke
Goon
Barrylocke
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:24 pm

Post by Barrylocke »

You have a point, but I've seen a really nice mafia game that involved a lot of roleplaying and it worked out well (actually, it's still in play, so I guess the right wording is that it's doing well so far)

Even something like:

Barry walked out of the house, quite tired. He had this feeling that something was going to happen today. He walked to the local coffee shop and ordered a nice expresso. Normally he would drink tea, but he was kept up all night by thought that something was going to happen. He read the newspaper, and then dashed off to class. But he was stopped by murmoring in the town square. Curious to see what was going on, he eases into the crowd. He starts hearing whispers of dfence, accusations, and foulplay.

"I knew it! The mafia just sacked Glimsdale, and that town's only 5 miles away. It's only natural that we're next."

"Well I can tell you for sure that I'm not one of them. I was at the cafe on a date."

"But we all know that you hated karasuman!" Yells out bobonwheels, who had a point.

Another voice says loudly, "Well I say that if the docter was doing his job, none of this would have happened!"

Barry had had enough. "Stop it! we need to stop pointing fingers at the docter and start trying to see just who's in this mafia."

"And just where were YOU last night?" Questions bobonwheels. "You seem pretty tired to me".
"For your information," Barry said in an annoyed voice," I was at my house reading my books for class."

"Well no one saw you, so it could mean that you are with them. It could be anyone of us right here." A cold silence was dropped into the square as the realization of this fact hit them like a ton of bricks.

That was long, but it's because I like this sort of stuff. :D

http://forum.starmen.net/?t=msg&th=2574 ... 1&&start=0

That had nice roleplaying throughout
mikeburnfire
mikeburnfire
Flashy
mikeburnfire
Flashy
Flashy

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:11 am

Post by mikeburnfire »

Most players just try to play the game. The moderator writes the scenarios, so the best thing you can do is try to get a mod who likes to write long and flavorful scenarios at lynch or daybreak.
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill with rope and a slim majority."

Flash Guide to Mafia and Flash Mafia Roles
MrBuddyLee
MrBuddyLee
Slightly better than 50-50
MrBuddyLee

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:52 am

Post by MrBuddyLee »

There are also games like Mentally Challenged Mafia in which post restrictions force people to roleplay a bit.
dialing in mildly protown reads since 2006
Adele
Adele
Big Sister
Adele
Big Sister
Big Sister

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:56 am

Post by Adele »

check out Verbose 2. It started out that way at the mod's request, but people don't care enough and are too commited to playing as tight a game as possible to maintain it, I think.
rajrhcpfreak
rajrhcpfreak
I puzzle myself sometimes
rajrhcpfreak

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:18 am

Post by rajrhcpfreak »

in my games i want you to become the character you are playing. so i force day actions on the players to spice things up. im hopeing by the large theme it will be a giant role playing game.
Show
http://kysurvivorfreak.blogspot.com/

raj's to do list:
Zulu Mafia : TBA
No Night Mafia : TBA
Epic Mafia : TBA

Record: 22-33-2
2005: 10-13-2
2006: 5-10
2007: 1-2
2008: 2-4
2009: 3-0
2010: 2-4
2011-2017: retired
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...
Pronoun: he/him/his

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:46 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Adele wrote:check out Verbose 2. It started out that way at the mod's request, but people don't care enough and are too commited to playing as tight a game as possible to maintain it, I think.
Lies! I tried to role-play pretty consistently (although I admittedly also tried to keep my role fairly secret), so after I had claimed, I threw in flavorful bits when I thought it would add to the fun.

Still, the sentiment is correct... eventually, people just want to catch scum. Role-playing is always going to come in a distant second.
"Logic? I call that flapdoodle."
Thok
Thok
Disgrace to SKs everywhere
Thok

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:45 pm

Post by Thok »

I'd have roleplayed some in Verbose 2, but I have needed to have prepared both a fake claim and a backup fake claim. Even then, I sort of kind of roleplaayed a little at the beginning of the game.

You might take a look at Progressive Upick (or might even consider replacing into that game). Possibly the Post Restriction games my be interesting from this perspective also. Quack.

Also, generally early random votes tend to essentially involve roleplaying to some extent; it's just not game related roleplaying.
I replaced into Chess Mafia for 6 months, and all I got was a win and this lousy sig.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:42 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

I've roleplayed a bit, which is one reason I tend to prefer themed games... I agree though that it's hard to do/risks outing your role too early.

Of course, it nearly got me lynched in Clue, when I was trying to seduce elvis for no good reason.... :wink:
Retired as of October 2014.
Pie_is_good
Pie_is_good
Massclaim_is_Good
Pie_is_good
Massclaim_is_Good
Massclaim_is_Good

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:16 am

Post by Pie_is_good »

Mr. Flay wrote:Of course, it nearly got me lynched in Clue, when I was trying to seduce elvis for no good reason.... :wink:
You need reasons to seduce people?! :?
I am a stand-up dude of genuine flyness.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”