The Importance of Transparency, Cooperation & Effort as Town

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:51 am

Post by Creature »

Well, good town doesn't let a player coast to endgame without any sort of pressure.
Sigh
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:13 am

Post by Accountant »

Most likely/realistically the wagon got a couple votes before melting away to join wagons with actual reasoning.
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
wgeurts
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
Pokédex
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:32 am

Post by wgeurts »

In post 100, Creature wrote:Well, good town doesn't let a player coast to endgame without any sort of pressure.
Which is why I'm suggesting we simply start not tolerating them what so ever.
"
i agree we should have a rule against wgeurts
" -
Davsto

"
let's have 2 rules against wgeurts
" -
DeathRowKitty

Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they (pl.)

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:43 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

In post 99, Accountant wrote:
In post 97, Infinity 324 wrote:But you could just say "I have a strong gut scumread on x but I'm having difficulty explaining it. If a wagon pops up on x, I'll join it."
That's fine. But remember this. Gut reads do not materialize from thin air. They are an expression of your subconscious mind trying to tell you something is off. Engage with X, find what it was trying to tell you, put it down in words and turn that nebulous gut read into a real, firm
case
. And THEN you can start/join the wagon and it will likely attract other players too.
That's great in theory, but it doesn't always work out unfortunately. Especially when you're dealing with strong scum players.
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

plural system, we may or may not sign
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:55 am

Post by Psyche »

incorrigible
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:00 am

Post by pieguyn »

In post 0, wgeurts wrote:Many people simply don't do the above as they can't be assed to do so. This is horrific! The amount of times I've seen someone state they don't read walls, won't go through ISO's, or won't look at someone else's posts is insane. And nobody says something about it! When you sign up for a game you have signed up knowing you should be investing time and effort, not doing so is technically playing against your win-condition and should as such not be tolerated at all. You should always be reading every posts, not just reading actually, but analysing! Multiple times preferably! If you are too lazy to do this replace out, you're a hindrance to the game.
this is one of the most true things I have ever read in my entire time on this site.

mafia is not meant to be a game that is tolerant of people half-assing the game because "it's fun for them"; mafia is a game that by definition requires substantial time/effort in order to play. if you half-ass games, unless you're in a player list saturated with people who do this and won't give a shit, you are hindering the game for those people who do devote the effort into playing the game properly and are attempting to get enjoyment out of the game by, IDK, actually playing the game. this is not to say that everyone ever needs to put an absurd amount of effort into games, or make flawless pushes with flawless cases, or avoid gut reads or anything; all you even need to do is read and think and be open to considering possibilities and legitimately put the best effort you think you can give into finding scum - that is the most important thing here (intent as Nahdia said) and while I don't really agree with "everything needs to be explained ever", the amount of people who blatantly just don't even try to put effort into games when they clearly could be is ridiculous.

a player who actually wants to find scum, just based on the fact they are actually playing the game and wanting to find scum, is 100% more of an asset than a player who doesn't give a shit even when they're not capable of putting a high amount of effort into the game or putting all of their reads into words
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:04 am

Post by Accountant »

First of all, Infinity, how do you think a gut read forms? I mean on a cognitive level, how does your brain send the gut signals to you?
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:46 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

In post 105, pieguyn wrote:
In post 0, wgeurts wrote:Many people simply don't do the above as they can't be assed to do so. This is horrific! The amount of times I've seen someone state they don't read walls, won't go through ISO's, or won't look at someone else's posts is insane. And nobody says something about it! When you sign up for a game you have signed up knowing you should be investing time and effort, not doing so is technically playing against your win-condition and should as such not be tolerated at all. You should always be reading every posts, not just reading actually, but analysing! Multiple times preferably! If you are too lazy to do this replace out, you're a hindrance to the game.
this is one of the most true things I have ever read in my entire time on this site.

mafia is not meant to be a game that is tolerant of people half-assing the game because "it's fun for them"; mafia is a game that by definition requires substantial time/effort in order to play. if you half-ass games, unless you're in a player list saturated with people who do this and won't give a shit, you are hindering the game for those people who do devote the effort into playing the game properly and are attempting to get enjoyment out of the game by, IDK, actually playing the game. this is not to say that everyone ever needs to put an absurd amount of effort into games, or make flawless pushes with flawless cases, or avoid gut reads or anything; all you even need to do is read and think and be open to considering possibilities and legitimately put the best effort you think you can give into finding scum - that is the most important thing here (intent as Nahdia said) and while I don't really agree with "everything needs to be explained ever", the amount of people who blatantly just don't even try to put effort into games when they clearly could be is ridiculous.

a player who actually wants to find scum, just based on the fact they are actually playing the game and wanting to find scum, is 100% more of an asset than a player who doesn't give a shit even when they're not capable of putting a high amount of effort into the game or putting all of their reads into words
just because you put in more effort doesn't make you more useful
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:47 pm

also just because your gutreads are shitty doesn't mean all of them are :good:
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:09 pm

Post by pieguyn »

thank you for your insightful, if totally not rude or condescending input... never mind the fact that had you actually read my post you would see that I stated the exact opposite of the point you're attempting to argue against...
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:52 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

I feel like there are a bunch of things I could say about various posts in this thread but will instead just go with

:P
Show
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Mhsmith0
Conq: you, sir, are great at being town.
BATMAN: Only jugg was the only one we didn’t scum read at least not me
Quick: There is little to no chance this slot is Power-Wolfing.
SR: I want to give him a day
Life is simply unfair, don't you think?
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:06 pm

I don't at all agree with the consensus of this thread. I will check out of it and leave you all to it.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:27 pm

Post by Psyche »

yah i don't know how to say more without seeming rude
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:31 pm

I mean you don't see the people who read via gut and stuff close to it (I wouldn't call my optimal gameplay 'gut' but it's similar) beating down on the people who post cases and walls.
wgeurts
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
Pokédex

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:42 pm

Post by wgeurts »

That's because those who are posting cases actually have something others can utilise and discuss, also furthering their own goals. If you never post a case you are really doing something wrong.
"
" -
Davsto

"
" -
DeathRowKitty

wgeurts
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
Pokédex

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:46 pm

Post by wgeurts »

If you're using gut reads and also not participating in discussion of others posts then you're doing something doubly wrong, gut is not a ticket to not having to participate.
"
" -
Davsto

"
" -
DeathRowKitty

RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:56 pm

Cases matter because the 'current site meta' (meant in a loose sense) requires you to post reasons to lynch people. In a universe where it didn't I would never post them.
wgeurts
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
Pokédex

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:58 pm

Post by wgeurts »

In post 116, RadiantCowbells wrote:Cases matter because the 'current site meta' (meant in a loose sense) requires you to post reasons to lynch people. In a universe where it didn't I would never post them.
Rationally speaking if you want to lynch someone it's best to explain why. Else this game would simply be a bunch of random votes. Without explanation there wouldn't be scum-hunting and town reads to form off content, only VCA.
"
" -
Davsto

"
" -
DeathRowKitty

RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:59 pm

In post 117, wgeurts wrote:
In post 116, RadiantCowbells wrote:Cases matter because the 'current site meta' (meant in a loose sense) requires you to post reasons to lynch people. In a universe where it didn't I would never post them.
Rationally speaking if you want to lynch someone it's best to explain why. Else this game would simply be a bunch of random votes. Without explanation there wouldn't be scum-hunting and town reads to form off content, only VCA.
There's more to the game than analyzing reads and VCA and I think that those are in many ways the least useful part of the game because skilled players fool them easily.
wgeurts
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
Pokédex

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:01 pm

Post by wgeurts »

You can try to wagon someone else as town without explaining why but you then fail to achieve the following:
Actually convince people as to why that slot is scum.
Skip the opportunity for others to assess your read and allow you to rethink.
Skip the opportunity for the one being wagoned to defend themselves.

So not only are you not going to get anywhere, you'll also be skipping all fail-safes. Not doing so is literally awful play.
"
" -
Davsto

"
" -
DeathRowKitty

wgeurts
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
Pokédex

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:02 pm

Post by wgeurts »

RC, if nobody posts any reasons everything will be shitposting irrelevant to the game and accusations of alignment + votes. You'd be handicapping yourself.
"
" -
Davsto

"
" -
DeathRowKitty

wgeurts
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
Pokédex

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:06 pm

Post by wgeurts »

Are you even capable of arguing why cases shouldn't be made with anything that doesn't come down to "I can't be bothered"?
"
" -
Davsto

"
" -
DeathRowKitty

RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:07 pm

Cases should be made by people who find that cases help them communicate their thoughts in a clear and adequate manner.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:09 pm

If you treat the game like a debate the person who makes the best arguments wins regardless of their alignment. That person is not necessarily town.
wgeurts
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
Pokédex

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:14 pm

Post by wgeurts »

Are you capable of providing any other example of communicating the reasons for a read besides argumentation.

Also, you're right it isn't always scum. This is a game of rhetoric so the better players win.
"
" -
Davsto

"
" -
DeathRowKitty

Return to “Mafia Discussion”