Mafia Scum
Thespio
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Newbie 1966: Mafia Chat

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:26 am

Post by Thespio »

Welcome to the Scum Chat

This chat is for you two to Collaborate. It will become public after the game ends for all to see!

Current Scum:

-Yimmy // Mafia Roleblocker
-SausasaurusRex // Vanilla Mafia

TIPS:
- found here

Spoiler: Wait, I'm EVIL now?
The biggest hurdle for new scum players is getting used to a very different motivation from the Townies. The Townies are interested in lynching a very specific guilty set of players. YOU, on the other hand, want them to lynch anyone else. For players who rely on a strong moral core, this is difficult to do - you have to deliberately misdirect well-meaning players against each other. Otherwise, you still have to deal with the fact that you're already aware that any scumhunting and lynches that further your Win Condition are inherently misapplied.

In addition, the Town's primary motivation is offensive in nature (find and lynch scum) while the Mafia's Win Condition is a bit more defensive (don't get lynched). This is why proactivity is so important - the Mafia doesn't really have any intrinsic reason to help Town in its quest to hunt scum or just do more than the bare minimum, BUT those are the sorts of players the Town is hunting for! If you want to avoid looking scummy, you have to get your hands dirty and look like you're making an effort to find scum.

One method of getting over this hurdle of not having any proactive motivation is to pretend that you're looking for an anti-Town group in the game, just like you would if you were Town. For one, you ARE looking for a group - of power roles that you can expose and deal with at Night. In larger games, there actually MAY be other anti-Town groups to look for, which will help this further (although you can't do too well with finding them during the Day, or you'll get killed - some of the advice for playing as a third party comes into play here).

Spoiler: YYYYYES! I AM INVINCIBLE!!
One of the benefits (and potential drawbacks) of being Mafia is that you have a massive information advantage over the Town. You -know- what is going on most of the time, whereas the Town is essentially relying on educated guesswork. So if you notice something about yourself or a scumpartner that looks really bad, don't panic - the chance of a Townie noticing it is low, the chance of it becoming a talking point is lower still, and the chance of a lynch coming of it is low enough to where it's normally not worth making a big deal over.

Along those lines, if someone starts to catch onto you, it's not the end of the world. YOU know that they're on the right path, but they don't. Play it off with the best plausible explanation you can give, and move on.

Note that things may still sometimes not go your way. The person you've been trying to lynch for two Days may turn out to be a confirmed Town power role, or your partner just said something condemnably scummy and earned a near-lynch wagon while you were away. Oops. Rather than panic, you need to adapt. Townies can be very wrong too; you need to be able to deduce what you would be doing as Town in that scenario and try to follow that - without actually helping Town, where possible. To this end, it's helpful to keep in mind a Townie thought process behind everything you do, so that if you're asked why you said some particular thing or weren't on some particular wagon you can come back with a plausible alibi.

Spoiler: Never quit. Never, never, never, never quit.
On the other hand, suppose you really got put in a bind and your lynch is starting to look like a real possibility. Don't resign yourself to the lynch - remember, the Town doesn't know yet that you're scum. In practice, there are very few truly unwinnable or purely negative scenarios for Mafia - there's always the chance that the wagon can be deflected to someone else, or you can make some Townies look very bad when you flip, or if nothing else you can bamboozle the Town into losing its momentum. Never surrender entirely, and never let them know they're on the right track until the absolute latest possible moment.

Spoiler: Be ready to make big plays.
Playing modestly can win some games against Towns full of newish players - they'll lynch themselves into oblivion with no real effort on your part. But when the pressure comes onto you, you have to be able to react well enough to ensure that you won't get lynched. There are all kinds of devious ways to do this - fakeclaiming, deliberately dropping "accidental" Towntells, or even just springing into decisive action. These sorts of gambits are inherently risky, of course. However and remembering the information deficit Town is working against, the chance of you getting called on a given gambit is fairly low, so the only real limiting factor is your own courage (or lack thereof).

A solid gambit can hand the entire game to you if executed properly. Look for ways to do it. (But be careful - people who are known for gambiting are less likely to be believed in the future.)

Spoiler: Begin with your end in mind.
This follows from the previous point, but warrants its own mention. Towns tend to be reluctant to lynch claimed power roles, especially Day 1. (The merits of lynching claimed power roles is currently under review in the mafiascum.net community.) You need to decide what role you want to claim at L-1 or in massclaim as early as possible, and act like you actually have that role throughout the game. A convincing claim can completely shift the game's momentum in your favor.

If you are forced to claim before being lynched, you should always claim a power role unless there is no chance of your claim being believed. Even if it's Day 1 and you don't think it'll get you off the hook for the rest of the game, you have to at least try - if nothing else, you're buying time before the first scumlynch, bamboozling the Townies along the way. Or perhaps you will draw another Town power role out in a counterclaim. There's little harm in trying.

Spoiler: Fake it 'til ya make it.
Learn to convincingly appeal to emotion. Getting upset works better than getting sad. What generally doesn't work is vanishing. You never know what can tip the scale away from your lynch, but not trying is usually considered an admission of guilt.

Spoiler: Weigh the benefits of sacrificing your teammates.
One massive advantage scum has is in its numbers, allowing it to coordinate and maintain a decent grasp on public opinion. Because of this, initially "bussing" (deliberately being a major contributor on a scum lynch) was a hugely effective manuever - scum wouldn't sacrifice one of their own so readily; and if you can't trust the people leading lynches on scum, who CAN you trust?

There are two big problems with bussing in the current meta. One is that more often than not, bussing rarely happens as defined. What happens instead is "distancing" (scum attacking each other during the Day). If done poorly, distancing looks very obvious to people who know what to look for - mostly-baseless attacks out of the blue against an otherwise unremarkable player. In this current meta, this is probably the only good associative tell without flips.

The other problem is that lynching away one of your partners is a major dent to the Mafia's power to influence the Town and does not directly make the game easier to win. Furthermore, bussing attempts are intended to give the bussing scum Town credit for leading the lynch on scum. That may not happen for one reason or another, in which case you just shot yourself in the foot.

The best kind of bus looks organic - catch your scumpartner on a legitimate scumtell and orchestrate an argument that looks convincing but is actually intended to pull in Townies and make them look suspicious. This is easiest to do if your partner knows that the bus attempt is coming; otherwise you will likely just make your partner very upset as they wonder why you're unnecessarily singling them out.

Another factor that makes bussing look good lies in proactivity. It's a bit late to start slaying your partner if it's already likely that they will get lynched regardless of what you do. You want to be early on the lynch if you see it as inevitable, but not so early that it requires you to look like you're tunneling on your partner - yes, your partner will flip scum, but the Townies will start wondering if your conviction came from KNOWING you were right all along.

At the bottom line, though, deliberately sacrificing your teammate lets another game Day go by without any progress toward your Win Condition, and as the game slowly winds down to LyLo the job of avoiding the Town's ire gets more difficult. The sacrifice made by bussing has to be worth having to survive another Day.

Spoiler: You are not alone!
When you are given the ability to communicate with your scumpartners, USE IT. The ability for scumpartners to coordinate with each other with no concerns about each others' allegiance is a huge advantage for the Mafia. Discuss who you want to target with your factional kill, who might be a power role, your plans for how you want to enter the next Day, how you think you should interact with the other members of the team, who you think the best mislynches are probably going to be, or anything else that may help you. A functioning Mafia team is much stronger than the sum of its individual members.

If you have been given the ability to communicate during the Day phases, unless you are playing in a very quick game there is no reason for you to NOT be able to orchestrate whatever maneuvers you like at any given time. If utilized properly, daytalk is a huge boost to scum power.

Spoiler: Mafia, but not scum.
Don't spoil the game even if you have effectively lost. Let's say you know who the SK is, but you're getting lynched as the last Mafioso. It's very bad form to out the SK with your dying breath - it doesn't matter to you whether the SK wins or not; you still lose. Let the others have their fun and plot revenge after the game.
Last edited by Thespio on Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Everything is Intentional - Newbie 1975: Zen has started... finally

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Yimmy
Yimmy
any pronouns
Goon
Yimmy
any pronouns
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: any pronouns

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:13 am

Post by Yimmy »

after signing up i realized i teeter on the very edge of we (only 4 games completed, all of which 3+ years ago, and this is actually my first time being mafia.
that said, hi
SausasaurusRex
SausasaurusRex
Goon
SausasaurusRex
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:44 am

Post by SausasaurusRex »

Hi. I’m the opposite of you. This is is my 2nd ever game, and I’ve been mafia in both of them.
Yimmy
Yimmy
any pronouns
Goon
Yimmy
any pronouns
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:59 am

Post by Yimmy »

some thoughts for how i plan to play (take this with a grain of salt cause ive never been mafia: day 1 i don't have any grand plans, just try to look town and such. i hope to find the most confident player (some people really don't like changing their reads) and get on their good side. that'll be a strong tool in lylo and such, and confident people tend to be pretty aggressive so they might make for a mislynch at some point too.
gonna read a couple guides to make sure i have any idea what im doing
SausasaurusRex
SausasaurusRex
Goon
SausasaurusRex
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:18 am

Post by SausasaurusRex »

Sounds good. Some things that I learnt from my last game:
Don't put anyone to L-1 in the Early Game without extremely good reasons. I did this, and people were suspicious of me the entire game - read the dead chat.
Don't scum read everyone - it may seem counter-intuitive to say some people are town, but this is a good idea. It makes you seem like town, and you can always kill them in the night later.
Read every post - in my last game, me, being in a idiot, somehow didn't read the post in which someone claimed tracker. As a result, I didn't kill them in the night, allowing them to confirm two others as town. This was extremely unhelpful, as there weren't many players left.
We don't have to town read each other - we can scumread each other, and sometimes we may have to if one of us messes up. What we should do if that happens is try to provide an argument for why we should vote someone else instead anyway.

Nothing else comes to mind at the moment, but I hope this is a little help.

My only idea is about Jocus Avornum. In the last game, he was aggressive the entire time, despite being town. We could mention his aggressiveness and scumread him for it (assuming he does the same thing). However, he does now have a meta, which may just make us seem suspicious, especially since I did it last game.
Yimmy
Yimmy
any pronouns
Goon
Yimmy
any pronouns
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:34 am

Post by Yimmy »

thanks. ive played as town a good few times so i hopefully already have some grasp of what town would do and such.
if he's annoyingly aggressive let the town push his lynch (unless it's lylo or something). why tie ourselves to an easy mislynch when we can let the town do it themselves? (not to say "don't vote for him", just don't be to confident and don't push the wagon.) personally im gonna go for wagons that i don't think would gain steam without a push
Thespio
Thespio
Mafia Scum
Thespio
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:03 am

Post by Thespio »

if you guys have questions you can hit me up! but I think you both should be good.

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
SausasaurusRex
SausasaurusRex
Goon
SausasaurusRex
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:15 am

Post by SausasaurusRex »

@Yimmy, what abilities does a mafia role blocker have?
SausasaurusRex
SausasaurusRex
Goon
SausasaurusRex
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:20 am

Post by SausasaurusRex »

Or @Thespio, feel free to answer it to, it doesn’t really matter who.
Yimmy
Yimmy
any pronouns
Goon
Yimmy
any pronouns
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:22 am

Post by Yimmy »

In post 5, Yimmy wrote:thanks. ive played as town a good few times so i hopefully already have some grasp of what town would do and such.
if he's annoyingly aggressive let the town push his lynch (unless it's lylo or something). why tie ourselves to an easy mislynch when we can let the town do it themselves? (not to say "don't vote for him", just don't be to confident and don't push the wagon.) personally im gonna go for wagons that i don't think would gain steam without a push
there's sample role pm's in the opening post

i can target someone and stop them from using their ability (so if i target a cop they'd get no result for example)
Yimmy
Yimmy
any pronouns
Goon
Yimmy
any pronouns
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:24 am

Post by Yimmy »

whoops didn't mean to quote
interesting to note that role blocking is completely worthless if we get the double mason setup
SausasaurusRex
SausasaurusRex
Goon
SausasaurusRex
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:28 am

Post by SausasaurusRex »

Yeah, sorry. I just saw the sample PMs. It is interesting about the double mason setup though. I suppose that even thought the mafia can’t roleblock them, masons can’t do anything during the night either. They have a large disadvantage, knowing the alignment of only one other player, and not having anyway to obtain more information. The mafia, however, know everybody’s alignments.
An interesting scenario.
Thespio
Thespio
Mafia Scum
Thespio
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:37 am

Post by Thespio »

Threw some tips in my header for you guys ;)

-Friedrich Nietzsche
SausasaurusRex
SausasaurusRex
Goon
SausasaurusRex
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:06 am

Post by SausasaurusRex »

Thanks for the tips. I’m going to sleep now, so I probably won’t be awake when the game starts. I’ll try to post something when I wake up.
Yimmy
Yimmy
any pronouns
Goon
Yimmy
any pronouns
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:15 pm

Post by Yimmy »

id say it's in our best interests to keep jocum alive. i feel aggressive people like him aren't prone to changing their mind so we just gotta last until he's decided who he trusts (perhaps even keeping his scumreads alive so he doesn't have to reconsider, but that could get to be a conspicuous amount of effort). either town will kill him on their own or we have him trusting us in lylo. thoughts?
SausasaurusRex
SausasaurusRex
Goon
SausasaurusRex
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:32 pm

Post by SausasaurusRex »

Yes, I think that should work well. If he plays like last game, the town won’t like him. He’ll vote people without any real justifications. I mean, he was right about me, but that’s not the point. I don’t think we should specifically keep his scumreads alive though, it sounds too suspicious.
Yimmy
Yimmy
any pronouns
Goon
Yimmy
any pronouns
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:42 am

Post by Yimmy »

jakes first posts still strike me as town but if the jake/me narrative sticks it's important to get him lynched. i can't change my mind until more evidence comes in though so i can only hope jake plays badly
Yimmy
Yimmy
any pronouns
Goon
Yimmy
any pronouns
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:42 am

Post by Yimmy »

oh white knighting. Jake dying won't clear me so im gonna stick with my heart and town read him
Yimmy
Yimmy
any pronouns
Goon
Yimmy
any pronouns
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:45 am

Post by Yimmy »

phone posting for the actual game is real stressful cause it's hard to proofread so that's why im posting here and not in the main topic
SausasaurusRex
SausasaurusRex
Goon
SausasaurusRex
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:52 am

Post by SausasaurusRex »

Do you think? I’ve only used a computer for mafia scum once. That’s why I don’t have a profile picture (I’ll try to get one soon Thespio).

Btw, try not to defend people, at least this early in the game. I know you know everybody’s alignment, but nobody else does, and you don’t have any particularly good reasons to “suspect” Jake is town. It should be fine this once though.
Yimmy
Yimmy
any pronouns
Goon
Yimmy
any pronouns
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:11 pm

Post by Yimmy »

i usually have 3+ tabs up when writing a post (writing, an iso, and the game itself) and navigating that is annoying on mobile, and getting the cursor where i want to edit is also annoying.
good point. hopefully i covered it gracefully
SausasaurusRex
SausasaurusRex
Goon
SausasaurusRex
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:41 pm

Post by SausasaurusRex »

I know I said don’t put anyone to L-1 in the early game, but I think this time should be fine. There are lots of reasons to think Jake is scum, and I think I gave a nice argument for why I voted him and not you. This may cause a wagon to start on me though,
Yimmy
Yimmy
any pronouns
Goon
Yimmy
any pronouns
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:53 am

Post by Yimmy »

your post just sort of agrees with and reiterates what others have said. either offer something new of your own or use less words and just be apt that you agree with the points made imo. ive called out similar things so far and i don't necessarily want to ignore it
we'll see
Yimmy
Yimmy
any pronouns
Goon
Yimmy
any pronouns
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:51 am

Post by Yimmy »

ATM I'm thinking ETL is the kill for tonight seeing as he's universally townread and the creator of the most content, so if we kill him we should be able to control the conversation without too much effort. Pyro and Loser are also option though
SausasaurusRex
SausasaurusRex
Goon
SausasaurusRex
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:10 pm

Post by SausasaurusRex »

Yeah, I agree. I get a feeling he’s PR as well. And maybe roleblock Jocus?

Return to “Completed Game Topics”