Newbie 598: The Bourne Supremacy -- GAME OVER!

Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Newbie 598: The Bourne Supremacy -- GAME OVER!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:35 pm

Post by Mr Stoofer »

Newbie 598: The Bourne Supremacy

Setup: F11

Jason Bourne still can't remember who he is, which leaves you guys as the only ones who can find the Mafia and lynch them!

Players
(survived):
  • Linehouse - Townie
  • Oman - Cop
Players
(dead):
  • pmchugh - Townie - lynched day 1
  • Quagmire (replaced PookyTheMagicalBear) - Townie - killed by the Mafia night 1
  • Farkshinsoup - Townie - lynched day 2
  • Megatron (replaced Fierce_Owl) - Townie - killed by the Mafia night 2
  • Muerrto -
    Mafia Roleblocker
    - lynched day 3
  • Minineko (replaced wichtolosaurus) - Doc - killed night 3
  • sirdanilot (replaced almuric) -
    Mafia Goon
    - lynched day 4
Setup
:

This will the "F11" Setup, which means that the Town consists of one of the following four possibilities:
  1. 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Doctor, 5 Townies.
  2. 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies.
  3. 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies.
  4. 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Doctor, 6 Townies.
Last edited by Mr Stoofer on Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:31 pm, edited 20 times in total.
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:39 pm

Post by Mr Stoofer »

Roles

Everyone will get one of the following Role PMs:

Mafia:
The Mod wrote:You are a , along with your partner _________ (who is simply a Goon). Your goal is to eliminate the pro-town players so that only your side remains; you win if this happens. During the Day, try to blend in with the rest of the players, and get someone lynched.

You may talk with your partner at Night, and send me a choice via PM of who you would like to kill/roleblock (your team can do both so long as you live).

Note: You may talk with your partner privately during confirmations to plan strategy, but no night actions will take place until Night One.
The Mod wrote:You are a , along with your partner _________ (who is a pro-Mafia Roleblocker). Your goal is to eliminate the pro-town players so that only your side remains; you win if this happens. During the Day, try to blend in with the rest of the players, and get someone lynched.

You may talk with your partner at Night, and send me a choice via PM of who you would like to kill (if your partner also lives, they can send in a separate choice to roleblock someone).

Note: You may talk with your partner privately during confirmations to plan strategy, but no night actions will take place until Night One.
The Mod wrote:You are , along with your partner _________. Your goal is to eliminate the pro-town players so that only you remain; you win if this happens. During the Day, try to blend in with the rest of the players, and get someone lynched (if that someone is not your partner or yourself, that will make things much easier). You may talk with your partner when it is not Day, and send me a choice via PM of who you wish to kill.

Note: You may talk with your partner privately during confirmations to plan strategy, but no kills will happen until Night One.
Town:
The Mod wrote:You are the , and you can protect people from harm. Each Night, you may send me a choice via PM of who to protect; if they come under attack by the Mafia, they will live. You win if the scum are eliminated, so choose wisely at Night, and try to lynch correctly during the Day.

Note: Doctors are 100% effective in Newbie Games (the person you protect will never die on the night they are protected, unless you are roleblocked). You may not protect yourself.
The Mod wrote:You are the , and you can tell good from bad. Each Night, you may send a player's name to me; I will let you know if your investigation shows that they are Mafia or Town. You win if the scum are eliminated, so choose wisely at Night, and lynch well during the Day.

Note: Cops always get a correct result in Newbie Games (no sanity issues), unless you are roleblocked. You cannot investigate yourself.
The Mod wrote:You are a , and you've got no special powers at Night. No investigations, no protection, no gun to shoot people. Your only powers are the ability to post, vote, and think. Help lynch Mafia during the Day, and you will win the game, along with the rest of the Town.
Even though many games start with Night, Newbie Games begin with Day once everyone has confirmed that they understand their role. Scum are allowed to talk by PM in the pre-game stage, but no other "night actions" may be taken.
Last edited by Mr Stoofer on Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:40 pm

Post by Mr Stoofer »

Rules

[01] Votes must be in bold. If you do not bold your vote, it will not be counted.
[02] Please be attentive and unvote, if necessary, before casting a new vote. This is not required, but I’d appreciate it.
[03] Lynching will require a simple majority of votes. Once a player has reached the necessary majority, their pleas are useless and any attempts to unvote will be unheeded. Feel free to post in twilight, though.
[04] You may vote: no lynch. Majority votes of this kind are necessary to end the day without a death.
[05] At deadline, a player will be lynched if they have a majority of votes being cast - no matter how few votes they have. This means that a player can be lynched if they have only one vote on them (if everyone else is not voting).
[06] When I set a day deadline, the deadline lasts until I actually lock the thread.
[07] The game is not to be discussed outside the thread unless your role specifically states that you may do so – and then only at night.
[08] Once your death scene has been posted, you’re dead. Stop typing. Not even a “Bah!” post, please. Save it for after the game is over.
[09] No small or invisible text. Don’t edit/delete previously submitted posts either.
[10] Don’t quote any PMs from me. If you do, I will destroy you.
[11] If you have a night choice to make, it is due by the posted deadline. I will not wait for you. If you do not submit a choice to me, I’ll make it for you and you won’t like it.
[12] If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period, please post a notice to that effect in the thread. Treat this game as a commitment. Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.
[13] Unlike other mods I am fallible. Please point out any mistakes I make gently. In particular, if I post a vote count that does not accurately reflect your vote, it is your responsibility to correct me. If you don’t your vote may be treated as it appears in the vote count.
[14]
If you have any questions at all, please PM me or post the question in the thread.

[15] Remember, it’s a game and it’s supposed to be fun. Be nice to your fellow players and your mod. I have zero tolerance for abusive posts.
Last edited by Mr Stoofer on Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:19 pm

Post by Mr Stoofer »

Everyone but Fierce_Owl has confirmed. So I'll start the game now and if Fierce_Owl doesn't turn up in the next 24 hours I'll replace him.

Day 1: With 9 alive it will take 5 votes to lynch!
Farkshinsoup
Farkshinsoup
Goon
Farkshinsoup
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:42 am

Post by Farkshinsoup »

Hi everybody!

Vote: almuric
because your name is the first on the list.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:07 am

Post by Oman »

Vote Meurrto
For defending scum! (In our last game together).

Hey guys, friendly neighbourhood IC here. Ask me a question and I'll try to answer as best I can. Also on the list is Meurrto and Pooky, who will be performing the same function.

We try to give you the best advice, but remember, we're here to teach you, and win, and any one (or two) of us could be part of the mafia.

My first suggestion is that you have fun and get involved. We're all here to have a good time and kill some people :D

Love, Oman.
It's unfortunate that good oral sex excuses bad chemistry. - Korts
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:10 am

Post by Mr Stoofer »

Oman wrote:and any one (or two) of us could be part of the mafia.
Or three. Role assignments were random, without regard to the experience of the players.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:16 am

Post by Oman »

Mr Stoofer wrote:
Oman wrote:and any one (or two) of us could be part of the mafia.
Or three. Role assignments were random, without regard to the experience of the players.
No, not the three of us. There are only two possible mafia roles, so at least one of us is town, there is no doubt about that.
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:55 am

Post by Mr Stoofer »

:oops:
Oh yes
almuric
almuric
Townie
almuric
Townie
Townie

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:04 am

Post by almuric »

Hi. I'm sad that someone voted for me. And I'm not going to vote for anyone yet (even for revenge, Farkshinsoup) until someone explains this to me:

What's the point of voting on the first day, short of someone giving away that they're a bad guy? It seems like with 8 players and 2(?) mafia, the odds are much greater of picking a townie than a goon. Is random voting really beneficial to the town? I'm guessing there's a link someone will post that will explain this, but, mathematically, it seems self-defeating.

If we pick a townie to kill today and the mafia pick another one tonight, we'll be down two. Seems wrong.
almuric
almuric
Townie
almuric
Townie
Townie

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:05 am

Post by almuric »

Oops, 9 players, not 8. Still, my question stands.
wichtolosaurus
wichtolosaurus
Townie
wichtolosaurus
Townie
Townie

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:05 am

Post by wichtolosaurus »

I don't like your questions, almuric.

Vote almuric

I'd still like to have your question answered, scum!
Farkshinsoup
Farkshinsoup
Goon
Farkshinsoup
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:05 am

Post by Farkshinsoup »

I'm sure the IC players will have some good reasons for lynching on day 1, but let me take a crack at it.

Even though you may end up lynching an innocent townie, by going through the process, you build up information that will be useful near the end of the game. Also, remember that the mafia have the advantage in that they know who all the townies are, and can vote for NK accordingly. So if we don't lynch, and then they NK, possible a power role, then on D2 we are worse off because we now have less town than we did on the previous day. Lastly, when someone is NK, we find out their role, and by comparing that to posts that they made, it can put more puzzle pieces into place.
wichtolosaurus
wichtolosaurus
Townie
wichtolosaurus
Townie
Townie

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:07 am

Post by wichtolosaurus »

Hey, that makes perfect sense!
Farkshinsoup
Farkshinsoup
Goon
Farkshinsoup
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:18 am

Post by Farkshinsoup »

Ha! I like your spirit wich (sorry, but there's no way I'm going to be typing that whole name out every time).

That having been said, you were very quick to jump on almuric for what seemed like a reasonable question.

unvote

vote: wichtolosaurus
Linehouse
Linehouse
Goon
Linehouse
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:25 am

Post by Linehouse »

Vote: PookyTheMagicalBear
because magical bears can only mean one thing.

Care Bears. Creepy creepy.
Muerrto
Muerrto
Mafia Scum
Muerrto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:19 am

Post by Muerrto »

Simple: We CAN lynch mafia, mafia DON'T kill mafia.

Therefore lynches are the only way we have a chance of winning. So we lynch.

OMGUS Vote: Oman

Cause he knows I was right in defending that scum lol
Show
Games - 31
Town - Win=9, Loss=10
Mafia - Win=5, Loss=4
Abondoned = 3

I feel for the rest of the players every time I get a town PM.
Farkshinsoup
Farkshinsoup
Goon
Farkshinsoup
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:30 am

Post by Farkshinsoup »

EBWOP:

I meant to say: "Lastly, when someone is
NK'd OR lynched
, we find out their role, and by comparing that to posts that they made, it can put more puzzle pieces into place."
almuric
almuric
Townie
almuric
Townie
Townie

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:52 am

Post by almuric »

I either know too much math or too little. It just doesn't make sense (to me) to randomly pick a guy on the first day. We've got a 78% chance of getting it wrong.

I'll have to think about what Muerrto said. It has logic in it, but, it's counter-intuitive... or something.

Ok, maybe I should vote for someone. Someone want to let me in on how I make the choice? Does the first day last until 5 of us decide on one guy? Or is there a time limit? It could go on for days, right?

(Something tells me that this is the exact same dilemma every newbie has. I'll try to read the first few pages of other newbie games tonight when I get home. Please bear with me.)
Farkshinsoup
Farkshinsoup
Goon
Farkshinsoup
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:29 am

Post by Farkshinsoup »

almuric, by the time we vote to lynch, I hope it won't be completely random. We will try to make an educated guess based on our conversations here.

At this point though, our votes are pretty much completely random. But we start voting (being careful not to accumulate too many votes on one person) in order to start putting pressure on each other to see how we react.

And in response to your misgivings about lynching on day 1, here's some math for you: If we vote not to lynch, we have a 0% chance of catching any scum, and a 100% chance that a townie will be dead the following morning.

And yes, the first day lasts until 5 people cast their vote for 1 guy, or the moderator decides that we are taking too long and imposes a time limit.
Farkshinsoup
Farkshinsoup
Goon
Farkshinsoup
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:35 am

Post by Farkshinsoup »

almuric, you should read over the wiki as well: start here: https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Newbie_Guide

Also, you should remember that the goal is for your side to win, whether that's town or scum, and that might mean having to take one for the team and dieing before the end of the game.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:14 am

Post by Oman »

Almuric wrote:I either know too much math or too little. It just doesn't make sense (to me) to randomly pick a guy on the first day. We've got a 78% chance of getting it wrong.

I'll have to think about what Muerrto said. It has logic in it, but, it's counter-intuitive... or something.

Ok, maybe I should vote for someone. Someone want to let me in on how I make the choice? Does the first day last until 5 of us decide on one guy? Or is there a time limit? It could go on for days, right?

(Something tells me that this is the exact same dilemma every newbie has. I'll try to read the first few pages of other newbie games tonight when I get home. Please bear with me.)
Okay, here is the deal. We must lynch, we need information, as that is the major advantage the mafia have over us. One way to find mafia is voting patterns (not voting for eachother, throwaway votes on eachother etc.) plus it allows us to do a very, very important thing, which is Pressure!

Townies have nothing to hide, although they do break down under pressure a bit, mafia do it much much more. The sheer mass of votes can often force them to slip up.

One technique (and me mentioning this lessens its effectivness) is a pressure vote. For example, these random votes. I don't want to see Muerrto lynched, I have no "evidence" that he is scum. For that same reason, I doubt either of your voters want you lynched in particular. That being said, sometimes votes are thrown down with the intention to lynch, and its very hard to tell the difference.

So basically: Our goal as townies is to drag the day out until we feel that we have gotten enough information to make an informed lynch and look at possible partners.
Meurrto wrote:Cause he knows I was right in defending that scum lol
The irony overwhelms me.
pmchugh
pmchugh
Townie
pmchugh
Townie
Townie

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:13 pm

Post by pmchugh »

Oman wrote:
Vote Meurrto
For defending scum! (In our last game together).

Hey guys, friendly neighbourhood IC here. Ask me a question and I'll try to answer as best I can. Also on the list is Meurrto and Pooky, who will be performing the same function.

We try to give you the best advice, but remember, we're here to teach you, and win, and any one (or two) of us could be part of the mafia.

My first suggestion is that you have fun and get involved. We're all here to have a good time and kill some people :D

Love, Oman.
vote oman
for meta-gaming, from an IC as well :wink:
almuric
almuric
Townie
almuric
Townie
Townie

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:26 pm

Post by almuric »

Farkshinsoup wrote:...and that might mean having to take one for the team and dieing before the end of the game.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve it by not dying." - Woody Allen

Ok, I've read through some of the newbie games. I couldn't find anyone who asked the exact same question as me, but I think I get the gist. I still don't have enough information to vote for anyone to be lynched, though. I'm open to persuasion. :P
Farkshinsoup
Farkshinsoup
Goon
Farkshinsoup
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:40 pm

Post by Farkshinsoup »

almuric, a suspicious person might think that the reason you don't want to put a vote on anyone is that you are afraid that it would reveal something about your allegiances. A suspicious person might think that...

Return to “Completed Newbie Games”