TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #1675 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2020 9:13 am

Post by TemporalLich »

Role Mason grabbed role but not alignment, I rejected the Alignment Mason in the design phase of the setup creation which could grab alignment but not role for fear it was too powerful (in hindsight, that was a terrible idea).

As for the flavor stuff, I wanted a type of IC that needed to crumb to reveal. That didn't work in practice.
time will end
EspressoPatronum
EspressoPatronum
Mafia Scum
EspressoPatronum
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1676 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2020 9:15 am

Post by EspressoPatronum »

In post 1672, TemporalLich wrote:I was expecting eyestott to be an IC in power
Ah, I see.

As mastina posted above + we mentioned in game, the role flavourer could have been town or scum. Role =/= alignment, especially in role madness.
TemporalLich wrote:[...]
As for the flavor stuff, I wanted a type of IC that needed to crumb to reveal. That didn't work in practice.
Good to know for next time.
chkflip
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
Stand Up Guy

Post Post #1677 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2020 9:16 am

Post by chkflip »

Lich, I wouldn't take this too personally. You tried something you thought was fun -- I clearly felt the same way -- and it didn't get raves from all sides. That's okay. There's nothing wrong with that.
"Fuck you. I opened up my heart to you and you stabbed it a thousand times." - Gamma, to me, right before confessing to being the town vig and murdering my scum partner N1.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #1678 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2020 9:17 am

Post by mastina »

Granted--I believe that the town pegging the role flavorer and the moon howler as town roles was something that was likely to happen more often than not, and to be fair,
did
happen.

But it wasn't guaranteed to have happened (as the suspicion on eyestott post-claim showed). And my point still stands. The town might've made a misplay this game--but it was a misplay they had no way of realistically anticipating would end the game. There was little warning of a premature lylo, so the town had no way of realistically knowing that they were making a misplay, and even
without
a misplay, even with picture-perfect townplay where the town does everything right, again, they can still lose the game in a situation no town would expect to have lost.

And it requires that the scum make sub-optimal choices and the town makes optimal ones, every step of the way. Town make a single misstep, or scum make a single unstoppable correct move, and the town just...never wins this game.
Bingle
Bingle
Survivor
Bingle
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1679 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2020 9:23 am

Post by Bingle »

I'm pretty excited that I proved my ability to replace into a slot and sheep my mason partner this game. :)

Thanks for the game, TL. I enjoyed what little I was there for.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #1680 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2020 9:23 am

Post by mastina »

In post 1675, TemporalLich wrote:Role Mason grabbed role but not alignment, I rejected the Alignment Mason in the design phase of the setup creation which could grab alignment but not role for fear it was too powerful (in hindsight, that was a terrible idea).
Oh, well in that case:
Even more absurdly scumsided.

Because even if the town mason was a fully full alignment cop--not one-shot, not a rolecop that doesn't get alignments.

Town still isn't too strong.

If the town mason were a fully full alignment cop, ungated in shots, ungated in power, then the town might have a chance at winning this game. I'd rate it as maybe even 45%!

As-is, though, town had less than a 10% chance at winning.

This game was pretty much the best-case scenario for the town where the town used their roles just about as well as they possibly could have--I ate an early N1 nightkill; Eve managed to eat a nightkill after lynching a scum; eyestott did become fairly obviously town. The town did almost everything right, and still lost.

Yes, the town did mislynch three times, and critically one of those times was a key important town PR to their chances of winning, so the town didn't play absolutely picture-perfect. But the town still used their roles almost to the maximum, with many overperforming the expectations of those roles, and yet even overperforming, couldn't get a win.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #1681 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2020 9:26 am

Post by mastina »

In post 1679, Bingle wrote:Thanks for the game, TL. I enjoyed what little I was there for.
Oh, the game was absurdly fun, of course.

It just wasn't in any way remotely balanced.

The roles were cool, inventive, neat, and the game was a blast.
It just wasn't even remotely balanced and the way the town lost due to a mechanic that they had no reason to believe was in place, feels like it cheapens the game.
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #1682 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2020 9:28 am

Post by TemporalLich »

If I added an ungated Alignement Cop you'd have a Follow The Cop scenario... except even worse as the only role that can defuse it is the Astral Demon
time will end
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #1683 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2020 9:35 am

Post by TemporalLich »

Thanks for playing this strange role madness game :)
time will end
Bingle
Bingle
Survivor
Bingle
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1684 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2020 9:38 am

Post by Bingle »

?

Follow the cop is adequately solved by a strongman kill. Also Rolecop. Also Roleblocker.

Scum one shot Vig (which IS the correct allegory for your treestumper) is functionally a little more than an extra mafia member. It reduces the number of mislynches town has by one and is a role that can reasonably be assumed to be town. Don't take mastina's criticisms as an attack here, take them as advice on how to balance your games better in the future. Everyone fucks up game balance on occasion. You don't think of something or you make an assumption that doesn't pan out and it bites you. I've done it. Mastina's done it. Hell, I'd argue it's impossible to be a truly great mod without ever having made a mistake. Just dust yourself off and try not to make the same mistake next time, and your players will by and large forgive you.
gobbledygook
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1685 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2020 9:45 am

Post by gobbledygook »

So that was a game that was totally not balanced. And also should not have been called when it was.

But I am glad it’s over.
Station 13, is now taking pre-ins! Coming June 2020
gobbledygook
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1686 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2020 9:48 am

Post by gobbledygook »

I was worried that Churros was scum with that OP ability which is why I did not act the last few nights. I guess thinking about it, the game would have entered happily ever after. But uh yeah, Churros should not have had that role.
gobbledygook
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1687 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2020 9:50 am

Post by gobbledygook »

In post 1673, mastina wrote:Beam Splitter sounds like a cool OP rule, but what roles in the game actually benefit from this? The town 1x neighborizer getting a larger neighborhood? Not any benefit. The chillbreather getting an extra victim? Can cause mafia to instantly endgame the town. Cause the inspector to get a second worthless result because the beam splitter would always cause the second result to trigger? Send mail to a second person? Cause the mafia to rolecop two people instead of one? If the astral demon doesn't count as a factional action, duplicate the astral demon kill?
It is a cool role, but in this game it was useless.
Churros
Churros
Mafia Scum
Churros
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1688 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2020 9:51 am

Post by Churros »

Gobble, we never targeted you because I couldn't wrap my head about the possibility of we being able to get 2 NKs + treestump in a single night. It could end this even faster prematurely.

I was like "there's gotta to be a 22 catch there".
gobbledygook
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1689 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2020 9:51 am

Post by gobbledygook »

In post 1688, Churros wrote:Gobble, we never targeted you because I couldn't wrap my head about the possibility of we being able to get 2 NKs + treestump in a single night. It could end this even faster prematurely.

I was like "there's gotta to be a 22 catch there".
Nope. Just not at all balanced. :P
gobbledygook
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1690 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2020 9:58 am

Post by gobbledygook »

Gg!
pisskop
pisskop
Survivor
pisskop
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1691 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2020 10:01 am

Post by pisskop »

Gobbles, I need you to stop SRing me all the time. :|
beeboy - Everyone thought this game was made to troll pie but it was really made to troll pisskop.
Almost50 pisskop: Overall, that's a townie slot. Don't ask for specifics because with PK everything can be interpreted either way. It's probably WHEN he says/does things that matter, so it's more of a matter of conception rather than solid reasoning.
Churros
Churros
Mafia Scum
Churros
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1692 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2020 10:05 am

Post by Churros »

I thought about being noble and missing one NK to balance this out for town but I'm far too unenthusiastic on playing scum nowadays to give it a go.
gobbledygook
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1693 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2020 10:07 am

Post by gobbledygook »

In post 1692, Churros wrote:I thought about being noble and missing one NK to balance this out for town but I'm far too unenthusiastic on playing scum nowadays to give it a go.
Haha, nah, don’t pass up on the chance for a free scum win!
gobbledygook
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1694 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2020 10:07 am

Post by gobbledygook »

In post 1691, pisskop wrote:Gobbles, I need you to stop SRing me all the time. :|
Stop being scum! ;)

I dunno dude. You’re one of the unholy three. I don’t know what you all did to the universe but it sure does love giving you scum roles.
pisskop
pisskop
Survivor
pisskop
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1695 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2020 10:10 am

Post by pisskop »

lol
beeboy - Everyone thought this game was made to troll pie but it was really made to troll pisskop.
Almost50 pisskop: Overall, that's a townie slot. Don't ask for specifics because with PK everything can be interpreted either way. It's probably WHEN he says/does things that matter, so it's more of a matter of conception rather than solid reasoning.
Churros
Churros
Mafia Scum
Churros
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1696 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2020 10:12 am

Post by Churros »

In post 1693, gobbledygook wrote:
In post 1692, Churros wrote:I thought about being noble and missing one NK to balance this out for town but I'm far too unenthusiastic on playing scum nowadays to give it a go.
Haha, nah, don’t pass up on the chance for a free scum win!
I kinda think we could manage to win today by NK'ing Titus and a LyLo with Me/Ali/Gobble/Ep/Eye, but that would require more effort in a game I had been waiting for almost a month to end.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #1697 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2020 10:13 am

Post by mastina »

In post 1684, Bingle wrote:?
Follow the cop is adequately solved by a strongman kill. Also Rolecop. Also Roleblocker.
And also the treestumper. Even if you can't treestump the cop due to the rolestopper (and that's an 'if'; you most likely
could
which prevents them from investigating--heck, because the treestump doesn't
kill
, the scum treestumper could argue that their targeting of the cop is to keep them alive!), you can treestump the rolestopper and then, bam! No protection for the cop at all.

When scum have three methods to break follow-the-cop, with a rolecop to help aid said three actions break it even faster, follow the cop is not exactly going to break the game in favor of the town.
Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker
Pronoun: She/her

Post Post #1698 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2020 10:39 am

Post by Titus »

Yeah, didn't help the mod outright stated 2 scum not 3 so none of the town thought it was anywhere near lylo.
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

VLA Friday nights until Sunday morning.

All hail the Scum Empress!
Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker
Pronoun: She/her

Post Post #1699 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2020 10:41 am

Post by Titus »

In post 1491, TemporalLich wrote:Factional Abilities:
• You are a member of the Mafia, along with [redacted].
This strongly implies only 2 scum in the game, and it is what I based my VCA on.
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

VLA Friday nights until Sunday morning.

All hail the Scum Empress!

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”