Song Contest 149 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Song Contest 149 (Results posted!)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:11 pm

Post by Song Contest »

Welcome to the One Hundred and Forty-Ninth Song Contest! Now featuring dwarves.

Submit your song via this FANCY FORM!

What is the MafiaScum Song Contest?

The MafiaScum Song Contest is a competition modeled after the annual Eurovision Song Contest. It's a means to gain exposure to new music through the tastes of your peers, like it or not. Those that enter must also vote for the people they are running against based on how much they like the songs. Everyone picks an alias in the form of a country (any one of your choosing) and sends in a song that they like in order to expose it to the other contestants. After voting, they are tallied in the thread and a winner is named. No matter who wins, everyone wins by gaining new knowledge of songs, artists, albums and genres of music in the process!

List of Previously Entered Songs

How to Participate in the Song Contest:

1. Find a song that you like on any internet medium that isn't restricted or private.

2. Submit it via the form linked above!

3. Wait until I reveal the entries. You may or may not be cut (as stated at the end of this post).

4. Once entries are revealed, you will rank your top 10 countries! You will do this via a Google Form link to be provided later. The point values are as follows:
12 points - 1st
10 - 2nd
8 - 3rd
7 - 4th
6 - 5st
5 - 6th
4 - 7th
3 - 8th
2 - 9th
1 - 10th
Please rate fairly by giving all countries a listen. You may not vote for yourself. Everyone, regardless of entry or cut status, may vote, so you can still participate even if you chose not to enter or if you got cut! However, if those that entered and are accepted do not vote, they will get a 20 point penalty and be banned from entering in the next contest, so please consider that before entering.

5. Wait for results. It's that simple!

What entries are/aren't allowed?

In order to eliminate bias, certain entries based on previous performance are banned. After dozens of contests and a following of a vague "Code of Ethics" by the Song Contest population, there have been so many entries that a rule system is now in place as to what can and cannot be entered. Please refer to the list of entered songs linked above and CTRL+F your artist AND song name to make sure it isn't included in the following list.

What isn't allowed?

-You cannot enter an artist that has won ANY contest in the past, no matter how far away that contest is.
-You cannot enter an artist that has been entered in the last 15 contests.
-You cannot enter a song that has been entered before, regardless of placement. (You can enter a cover or different version of that song.) For example: You cannot enter in "Seven Nation Army" by The White Stripes, but you can enter in "The Hardest Button to Button" by The White Stripes.
-You cannot enter an artist that has gotten Top 3 in a Battle of the Best. For example: You may not enter anything by the Doves, as they got 2nd in a BotB.
-You cannot enter something that is not a "song". We generally interpret this term very loosely, but here are some examples:

Things considered a song: Anything created with an actual artist and song title that is INTENDED for the listener, even if it's painful to listen or even if there's nothing included (Examples: Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit, Eminem - Lose Yourself, Barney - I Love You, John Cage - 4'33, Sunn 0))) - 0))) Bow 1, etc.)

Things not considered a song: Anything without an artist or title, a video clip of something random, a comedy routine (unless it's an actual song a la Stephen Lynch), a large square wave, an animal barking, total silence not being attributed to an artist, etc. (Examples: A clip of Louis CK's Shameless, an ibex screeching, a clip of a game show, a clip of someone screaming, etc.)

I will let you know if your entry does not meet the criteria of a "song," but it should be fairly obvious.

What IS allowed, then?

-You can enter an artist that has gotten 2nd or lower at least 15 contests ago, as long as you do not repeat a song.
-You can enter an artist that got top 3 in a song contest, unless it won that contest or also got top 3 in a Battle of the Best.
-You can enter a different version of a song entered before, such as a cover (or the original if the cover was entered first). For example, Johnny Cash's "Hurt" has already been entered, but you can still enter Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt".

Other than that, you're good! If your entry violates one of these rules, you'll have until the deadline to fix it or we reserve the right to deny your entry (as if you haven't entered one at all) due to time constraints.

Voting (***New-ish Rules***)

Anyone is welcome to vote regardless of whether they've entered a song into the contest, but
those who entered songs are required to vote
. If you enter a song and fail to vote, you will be penalized in the form of deductions from the points your song earned from other people's votes (see below).

If fewer than 75% of the people who entered the contest haven't voted by the end of the first deadline, the voting deadline will be extended, and anybody who hasn't voted will get a penalty. This process will repeat until either 75% of entrants vote or until 16 days have passed (three extensions). As more extensions are needed, those who haven't voted yet will receive escalating penalties, as follows:

-If you fail to vote and fewer than three extensions are needed: You lose 12 points
-If you vote after the first extension: You lose 5 points
-If you vote after the second extension: You lose 10 points
-If you vote after the third extension: You lose 15 points
-If you fail to vote, even after three extensions: You lose 20 points

All ballots received before the final results are posted will be accepted, even if they come in after deadline.

Reserved Countries

Asgardia
Belarus
Belize
Central African Republic
Chad
Cote d'Ivoire
Djibouti
Egypt
El Salvador
Estonia
eSwatini
Gabon
Germany
Greece
Greenland
Hungary
Netherlands
Poland
Portugal
Spain
Sudan
Sweden
Taiwan
USA

Deadline for entries is Saturday, April 25 at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time.

Spoiler: If we get more than 26 entries, the 26 participants in the competition will be decided based on the following criteria:
1. First-time entrants

2. Last winner (Xtoxm)

3. Current Song Contest Team (toolenduso and JurgenVW)

4. Any entrant who was cut in the period of the last 3 contests (except those cut for not voting) and has not used their guaranteed bid.
3 Contests remaining: Nobody!
2 Contests remaining: Nobody!
1 Contest remaining: Nobody!

5. Everyone else

Anyone who does not make the cut is guaranteed a spot in one of the next 3 contests.
Last edited by Song Contest on Mon May 04, 2020 11:52 am, edited 4 times in total.
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:11 pm

Post by Song Contest »

Entries!

Votes are due on Sunday, May 3 at 11:59 p.m. (23:59) Pacific Time!

Ricardo Autobahn - Panophobia (Part 2)

Code Orange - Swallowing the Rabbit While

Muse - Uprising

The Dirty Nil - That's What Heaven Feels Like

.KoMoToMoK. - Artemis

Grouper - Heavy Water/I'd Rather Be Sleeping

Senza - Echoes

Wax Fang - Majestic

Hot Mulligan - We're Gonna Make It To Kilby!

Nanowar of Steel - Norwegian Reggaeton

Powfu ft bebadoobee - death bed (coffee for your head)

Superfly - Kakusei

Jenny Owen Youngs - Dreaming on the Bus

Nanne Grönvall - Håll om mig

Porter Robinson - Goodbye To A World

Fiona Apple - Fetch the Bolt Cutters

Big Bear - Track 01

Daoko - Daisuki

Imagine Dragons - Thunder

Last edited by Song Contest on Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:16 pm

Post by T-Bone »

Subscribe
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:18 pm

Post by Scigatt »

In post 144, Scigatt wrote:In better news, the super playlist is pretty much done, but there is one thing I'd like some feedback with now. All while creating the playlist I've replaced one of the the actual entries with a song off of the same album that I like more. Should I keep it the way it is now, or put the original entry back in?
Would still like some input on this, but other than that I'm ready to go.
PranaDevil
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:22 pm

Post by PranaDevil »

Entering music from someone who I saw in concert (I specifically went to see him, well... them as it was one of his bands, not his solo work, as I've been a fan since around 2012), and have since become friends with. He has also been at number 2 in the UK charts way back in 1999, and part of a Eurovision entry.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:23 pm

Post by toolenduso »

In post 3, Scigatt wrote:
In post 144, Scigatt wrote:In better news, the super playlist is pretty much done, but there is one thing I'd like some feedback with now. All while creating the playlist I've replaced one of the the actual entries with a song off of the same album that I like more. Should I keep it the way it is now, or put the original entry back in?
I agree you should do it how you want it
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:03 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

I always forget, but I keep a Shazam library of potential songs for this thing and I'm pulling from it this time around! It's a bit of a departure in usual entry for me,so I hope you guys enjoy it! :)
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:04 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

Keep it as is, I won't know the difference and I'd love to see your own flair in the list :)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:34 pm

Post by Vi »

I've been holding back on this entry because I haven't thought it would do well, but... maybe... :neutral:
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:36 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

is there an objection to bandcamp? the music video for my song on youtube is weird & bad
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:01 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 9, Errantparabola wrote:is there an objection to bandcamp? the music video for my song on youtube is weird & bad
I'm pretty sure that has been successfully used before.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:02 pm

Post by Scigatt »

This is my Song Contest Super Playlist!
-Assuming I haven't missed anything, this covers every Song Contest I've voted in up to and including SC 140. (Fwiw the only song that would have made it in the last two contests is my own SC 147 entry.)
-This playlist isn't in a worst-to-best as per my previous posted playlists. Instead, I tried to make a coherent playlist out of the songs until my standards lowered enough to leave the order alone.

Youtube Link
Spoiler: The list
Baby We Should Disco - Your Favorite Franchise(SC 75) - I'm definitely a sucker for this genre/type of song, and this is one of the best examples I've heard in the contest.
You Ain't Coming Back - Zeal & Ardor(SC 123)
We Forgot We Were Human - Dirt Poor Robins(SC 87)
Fear & Delight - The Correspondents(SC 75)
End Of Days - Devil Sold His Soul(SC 70)

Move Like U Stole It - ZZ Ward(SC 62)
Kill Us All - Twista(SC 92) - The verse density on this song while still maintaining very 'on-topic' lyrics is astounding. Also, consider this song when you hear the first line on the next song on the playlist.
Zero Orchestra - Matthew Good(SC 71 - own entry)This and the other song by this artist are the two best songs I've heard from them. I wish I'd submitted this song first though. It also has one of the best first lines of any song I've ever heard.
If nobody moves nobody will get hurt (the extinction) - The Paper Chase(SC 89 - own entry) - This is probably my favorite band, though I don't listen to them much right now. Unlike the previous artist, I still have a few songs I could submit from them.
Satori Part III - Flower Travellin' Banda

The Day We Caught The Train - Ocean Colour Scene(SC 57)
What I'd Be Without Me - The Paper Chase(SC 123 - own entry)
Take Me To Church - Hozier(SC 76) - The one thing that really bothers me about this song isn't about the song itself, it's that the music video has nothing to do with it. Even the cover that was submitted last contest is marginally more relevant to the music video than the original is. This is why I don't pay attention to music videos when rating: they lie.
Housebroken - The Hotelier(SC 74) - The craft in the lyrics is very well done, to the point that it easily earns its spot here. Its message feels rather one-sided and simplistic.
The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot(SC 125 - own entry)

Team The Best Team - Doomtree(SC 82)
Star Spangle Bang - Crunk Witch(SC 67) - This song is trash and I love it.
Thunder & Lightning - Brown Bird(SC 93)
Morpheus the Black - Cat Company(SC 125)
Said the Spider to the Fly - The Paper Chase(SC 57 - own entry) - I only really got into this band after submitting this song.
glass beach - glass beach(SC 140)b

Intro - NF(SC 94)
Collapsible Lung - Relient K(SC 77)
Blood In Your Mouth - Colour Revolt(SC 90)
Perform - Monarch(SC 90)
Non Populus - Matthew Good(SC 54 - own entry) - If I ever made an entry into Desert Island Discs, this would be the very last song in that entry. I have easily spent an entire week of my life listening to this song alone.

aEDIT:The original entry was Satori part II(SC 62), but I liked this song on the album better.
bOn Youtube the only good version I could find was tagged with an interlude track at the end. The Spotify playlist more closely represents what was actually submitted. If you spot any other discrepancy between the playlists, please tell me, as I have probably fucked up.
Last edited by Scigatt on Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:39 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:08 pm

Post by Scigatt »

In post 7, Aristophanes wrote:
Keep it as is, I won't know the difference and I'd love to see your own flair in the list :)
Sorry, but I decided to go the other way. You'll just have to settle for six of my own entries in the playlist.

EDIT:Good news, I changed my mind.
Last edited by Scigatt on Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PranaDevil
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:17 pm

Post by PranaDevil »

In post 10, Vi wrote:
In post 9, Errantparabola wrote:is there an objection to bandcamp? the music video for my song on youtube is weird & bad
I'm pretty sure that has been successfully used before.
Pretty certain I've used it before too.
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:27 pm

Post by schadd_ »

go ahead girl.
free darius mccollum
todays featured user: mith

Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:28 pm

Post by Cyril »

two minutes or nine minutes? asking for a friend
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:51 pm

Post by T-Bone »

Definitely not 9 minutes

Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:06 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 16, T-Bone wrote:Definitely not 9 minutes
- Jingle
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:56 pm

Post by Cyril »

Great, thanks for your feedback. It will be promptly discarded.
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:48 am

Post by T-Bone »

Uhhh you asked for feedback.

Dr Easy Bake
Dr Easy Bake
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Dr Easy Bake
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:02 am

Post by Dr Easy Bake »

Preferably 9 minutes
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:33 am

Post by Cyril »

In post 19, T-Bone wrote:Uhhh you asked for feedback.
Yeah this entry is gonna get low points either way so i'm gonna give the people what they don't want esp. 'cause the 9-minute one is better
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:29 am

Post by Tammy »

Gonna submit the second of the three songs I was debating against for last contest. The one I'm submitting this time is a song that helps me get through the last few difficult minutes of a run when all I want to do is stop.
I am in the top 90% of scumhunters onsite!
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:30 am

Post by Tammy »

It's also old.
I am in the top 90% of scumhunters onsite!
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:12 am

Post by Natirasha »

I'm submitting a song from a movie from last year, but should I submit the female or male vocalist you decide
Current Avatar: Dr. Contessa(OC, art by @pastelpuffin)

Return to “General Discussion”