Newbie 2038: Elements [Game Over]

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
hunterr
hunterr
Goon
hunterr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #26 (isolation #0) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:08 am

Post by hunterr »

In post 21, AGamblingPig wrote:I hate to do this, but I have to VOTE: Hunter

Hunting is violent and I don't like violence.
If you're scum I expect a pacifist game then :)
hunterr
hunterr
Goon
hunterr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #27 (isolation #1) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:12 am

Post by hunterr »

In post 24, Mizzytastic wrote:A trio of questions.

For everyone, what's your experience with mafia?

I've been into social deduction games for a while. I've played in about 8 games on site over 4 years but gotten burnt out a lot due to stress/mental health. I'm love modding and think I'm good at mechanical stuff and picking up theory quickly, but I suck at the social and emotional side and I've decided to play out my remaining newbie games before I go back to other queues.
I've played IRL mafia and chat-based mafia like town of salem and epicmafia for a while. Relatively new to forum mafia, but I've found that I enjoy the slower pace of forum mafia because it involves more critical thinking.
hunterr
hunterr
Goon
hunterr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #28 (isolation #2) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:14 am

Post by hunterr »

In post 20, c4e5g3d5 wrote:VOTE: 72offsuit spam bad
Piggy-backing off of Egix? Why spam bad? VOTE: chess moves
hunterr
hunterr
Goon
hunterr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39 (isolation #3) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:31 am

Post by hunterr »

In post 37, Mizzytastic wrote: hunterr feels like he voted something he thought would be easy and other people were already expressing thoughts about. It's light but VOTE: hunterr
I shouldn't state my thoughts about the only significant thing that's happened in RVS because others have already expressed their's... uh okay?
hunterr
hunterr
Goon
hunterr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #40 (isolation #4) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:34 am

Post by hunterr »

Curious to know why you asked only c4 why spam is bad when he piggy-backed off of Egix.
hunterr
hunterr
Goon
hunterr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #43 (isolation #5) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:27 pm

Post by hunterr »

Because my issue wasn't with the spam = bad sentiment, but rather the piggy-back c4 did with little substance. I also think if you play the early game aggressively you shouldn't let c4 go so easily. RVS cop-out is not unlikely for scum getting pushed.
hunterr
hunterr
Goon
hunterr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #45 (isolation #6) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:59 pm

Post by hunterr »

Fishing for elaboration, instead it was just simply him piggy-backing using RVS as a reason.
hunterr
hunterr
Goon
hunterr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #47 (isolation #7) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:55 pm

Post by hunterr »

In post 37, Mizzytastic wrote:
hunterr feels like he voted something he thought would be easy and other people were already expressing thoughts about. It's light but VOTE: hunterr
Because this is more important to address. I also don't play aggressive in RVS, but you said that you did. If someone is apathetic about the game I would expect someone that supposedly plays "aggressive" to target them.
hunterr
hunterr
Goon
hunterr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #48 (isolation #8) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:56 pm

Post by hunterr »

But yes, I do think that "cus RVS lol" is a cop-out from c4 and my votes stays on him.
hunterr
hunterr
Goon
hunterr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #84 (isolation #9) » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:54 am

Post by hunterr »

In post 59, Mizzytastic wrote:
In post 47, hunterr wrote:
In post 37, Mizzytastic wrote:
hunterr feels like he voted something he thought would be easy and other people were already expressing thoughts about. It's light but VOTE: hunterr
Because this is more important to address. I also don't play aggressive in RVS, but you said that you did. If someone is apathetic about the game I would expect someone that supposedly plays "aggressive" to target them.
You can address both at the same time though?

And I did target him, I questioned him, got responses, and came to a conclusion based on the tone of those responses, which I then shared.
You drew a +town conclusion from apathetic 1-2 word responses and self-quotes, that's not targeting and being aggressive. Possibly it's a playstyle I'm not experienced with and thus my expectations for an aggressive early game were not met, but that is why I'm surprised you let him off the hook.
hunterr
hunterr
Goon
hunterr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #85 (isolation #10) » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:04 pm

Post by hunterr »

Mizzy vs 72 in posts 61-69 feels passive-aggressive from both sides, more from Mizzy especially in post 69.
hunterr
hunterr
Goon
hunterr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #86 (isolation #11) » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:08 pm

Post by hunterr »

In post 74, BipolarType2 wrote:is anyone else not thrilled by the long form game? or is it just me?
I found my first couple games a struggle but I enjoy it more than chat-based mafia, IRL mafia/social-deduction is still king.
hunterr
hunterr
Goon
hunterr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #88 (isolation #12) » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:16 pm

Post by hunterr »

UNVOTE: c4 His candid attempt to read me and Mizzy felt town-ish, also 4 on a wagon on page 4 is a little too quick for me.

VOTE: Bipolar You have to had more thoughts on the game by now other than "omg his name is too long," wanna contribute?

pedit: If that's how you read c4 I can't help it, I disagree'd with his tone and responses the first 2 pages
hunterr
hunterr
Goon
hunterr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #96 (isolation #13) » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:04 pm

Post by hunterr »

In post 92, 72offsuit wrote:
In post 85, hunterr wrote:Mizzy vs 72 in posts 61-69 feels passive-aggressive from both sides, more from Mizzy especially in post 69.
And the significance of your passive aggressive vibe is.........?
Getting heated and giving off a passive-aggressive tone that quickly seems like theatrics. You two are either a scumteam forcing an altercation to seperate distance or genuinely frustrated with each other. Second scenario is currently stronger at the moment because the post where you voted Mizzy reads OMGUS and scum would be careful not to bring themselves to that.
hunterr
hunterr
Goon
hunterr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #97 (isolation #14) » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:12 pm

Post by hunterr »

In post 95, cylstar wrote:I voted c4 because I didn't necessary like his tone as other people have said. I am considering voting 72 since he seems to be quite defensive. Can someone tell me if that is more scummy?
Depends on the player, but it's bait to align based on someone being defensive this early imo. Do you think Mizzy pushing 72 to being defensive is towny then?
hunterr
hunterr
Goon
hunterr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #117 (isolation #15) » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:11 am

Post by hunterr »

In post 104, cylstar wrote:
In post 103, Mizzytastic wrote:
In post 95, cylstar wrote:I voted c4 because I didn't necessary like his tone as other people have said. I am considering voting 72 since he seems to be quite defensive. Can someone tell me if that is more scummy?
You didn't say that though. Your reasoning could totally be read as "this is my rvs vote, I only just figured out how to do it."
It totally was an RVS vote, but the thing that tipped me towards c4 was the reason i stated before. When choosing someone to vote, I don't actually use a random generator or something.
I am sorely tempted to vote Mizzy but I feel like they are more town.

UNVOTE: c4
VOTE: AGamblingPig
This is another RVS vote. Most of the other players I feel are somewhat towny.
This reads as if you are apprehensive and don't want to ruin relationships with other players for some reason. You're sorely tempted to vote Mizzy because...? Assumingly, you would vote someone if you felt like they were scum, but then you say that Mizzy feels town in the same sentence. Either I'm not following or your logic is all over the place. Also, can you answer my earlier question (Does Mizzy pushing 72 to being "defensive" make them town or scum?)
hunterr
hunterr
Goon
hunterr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #118 (isolation #16) » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:17 am

Post by hunterr »

In post 107, Egix96 wrote:
In post 97, hunterr wrote:
Depends on the player, but it's bait to align based on someone being defensive this early imo. Do you think Mizzy pushing 72 to being defensive is towny then?
What do you mean by "bait to align"?
Just being defensive isn't enough for alignment, it's more about the context. Here, cylstar thinks that defensive 72 = scum, which is why I want to know from him if he thinks aggro Mizzy = town.
hunterr
hunterr
Goon
hunterr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #119 (isolation #17) » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:19 am

Post by hunterr »

In post 111, c4e5g3d5 wrote:
In post 103, Mizzytastic wrote:You didn't say that though. Your reasoning could totally be read as "this is my rvs vote, I only just figured out how to do it."

And the 72 comment sounds like putting out feelers to see if it will go. VOTE: cylstar
So your attacks are:
1. Not immediately stating reasoning, but then doing so when asked, which is a valid attack, uh, never?
2. Asking for affirmation on a read... in a mfn newbie game

I still have more reading to do to catch up but this is just gross. VOTE: Mizzytastic
c4 is close to townlock for me from this
hunterr
hunterr
Goon
hunterr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #120 (isolation #18) » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:25 am

Post by hunterr »

We're comfortably out of RVS and have plenty of info to go off of now. VOTE: cylstar please answer my question
hunterr
hunterr
Goon
hunterr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #141 (isolation #19) » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:54 pm

Post by hunterr »

In post 121, cylstar wrote:
In post 118, hunterr wrote:
In post 107, Egix96 wrote:
In post 97, hunterr wrote:
What do you mean by "bait to align"?
Just being defensive isn't enough for alignment, it's more about the context. Here, cylstar thinks that defensive 72 = scum, which is why I want to know from him if he thinks aggro Mizzy = town.
Obviously I don't think so in all contexts, but basically yes. I read some of their earlier posts as town. Yes I didn't want to ruin relationships with Mizzy. Mostly because I am sick a lot (including at the time of my last post) and sympathise with them. I can't really remember everything they said at this point. I have played social deduction games in which being defensive is an indication of being scum and some where it isn't.
Now that I'm feeling somewhat better I'm going to be busy catching up on school and won't post much.

What is townlock?
Empathizing for another in an online forum is sweet but misguided in a game like this. From my perspective it looks like you're trying to marinate Mizzy, maybe you think they're a strong voice and that's why you want to avoid conflict with them? I have an early scum read here.
hunterr
hunterr
Goon
hunterr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #142 (isolation #20) » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:56 pm

Post by hunterr »

In post 123, 72offsuit wrote:
In post 114, muh316 wrote:
In post 112, c4e5g3d5 wrote:muh316 -- hmmm
hmmm
Got anything to add to the game?

What's your read on hunter?
Strange that you're asking for a specific read from someone pretty much AFK, why are you afraid to step forwards?
hunterr
hunterr
Goon
hunterr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #143 (isolation #21) » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:08 pm

Post by hunterr »

In post 131, Mizzytastic wrote:
In post 120, hunterr wrote:We're comfortably out of RVS and have plenty of info to go off of now. VOTE: cylstar please answer my question
You townlock c4 based on a post where he decides to vote me, then vote with me in the next post. It feels like a contradiction
I enjoy his change in approach to the game and confident vote on you despite you townreading him. Personally, I sometimes find myself automatically liking anyone that townreads me which is a terrible habit, so him doing this is really good in my eyes. Doesn't have to do with you specifically, it could have been anyone townreading c4.
hunterr
hunterr
Goon
hunterr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #144 (isolation #22) » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:11 pm

Post by hunterr »

In post 133, Mizzytastic wrote:
In post 123, 72offsuit wrote:
In post 114, muh316 wrote:
In post 112, c4e5g3d5 wrote:muh316 -- hmmm
hmmm
Got anything to add to the game?

What's your read on hunter?
Why specifically hunterr? So far you've come to his defence by attacking me when I was voting him, and now you are specifically curious for a read on him. Is there a reason?
Where did 72 come to my defense?
hunterr
hunterr
Goon
hunterr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #146 (isolation #23) » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:15 pm

Post by hunterr »

In post 134, Egix96 wrote:VOTE: muh

Lights are on but no one's home?
2 posts in a row you're asking more from muh but you haven't provided anything of value so far, are you posting just for the sake of posting?
hunterr
hunterr
Goon
hunterr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #148 (isolation #24) » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:19 pm

Post by hunterr »

Hmm, I can put it this way. c4 would have to do something terrible for me to change his alignment. He is comfortably deep within my town circle where I can forgive a misread or a slight tone change.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”